• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Beam.pro being renamed Mixer.com, gets new features

Let's get used to that name, it's not that bad.

Important is the service itself: and it's a really great service, great quality, etc.

Yeah, laugh at the name all you want, but the services actually seem pretty great.

I don't think they wanted to change the name from Beam but they had no choice. It is what it is.

Pretty sure they also know that this thing won't be over taking twitch ever, if at all. If they can expand global reach and build their ecosystem out to more folks, people will try/use it they will be happy with that.

I haven't really checked out or used Beam before this but I was curious since they were doing the launch event in our building. The latency seemed pretty legit, I could hear it happening and watched the stream off the website and it was super fast.

The stream is actually pretty efficient too. My laptop runs pretty poorly and a lot of time while I'm working, Youtube and Twitch streams just cut out or won't play because my computer's resources are hogged. The Mixer stream didn't hitch at all for me (AV sync wasn't great though :p)

Co-streaming seems like a genuinely great feature, I'm sure it won't be long until Twitch follows suit.

Now they just need the streamers and viewers

flfdxbs.png

Seriously those features sound cool but Beam or now Mixer doesn't have enough people for streamers to justify a change is like a Youtube Gaming vs Twitch.tv scenario I stream daily from Monday to Saturday I make 4 streams on Twitch and 2 on Youtube my ultimate goal is to leave Youtube only for the video content and Twitch for the streams, Microsoft should have bought Twitch when they were available for acquisition even Phil Spencer knows that I remember seeing a quote about that somewhere anyways good luck for them

P.S Yes
that's an emote from my channel atomicKappa

I have no loyalty to twitch, which has been annoying me with pop ups and reminders to sign in or up (if I happen to be logged out).

I don't watch a ton of variety on twitch though.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Wonder if it makes it any easier to do a high quality stream with PIP and stuff? The easier it is for them to get streamers doing stuff that looks good the more people will try it and the more talent they can amass right?

Zenner

I've been using Beam to watch streams fine through Edge browser for a few months, and it's all weird on my tablet today. Probably something to do with today's roll-out, I guess - logging in is erratic, all search boxes are gone from the left side, clicking the game icons on the left goes to random non-selected games, and after about 5 minutes the tablet crashes (with a Memory Management error) and reboots. Good times. :'(

Works fine on my desktop in Firefox, tho. :)

Just thinking, I could probably just stream it to my tablet from the Xbox console app. Gonna give that a shot.

SenkiDala

Dunno if there's a better place to ask this question, but here we go.

One thing I love about the XO is that you can stream XO games of course but also all the 360 backward compatible games, which is awesome. But there's one thing I regret, and I dunno at all if it's possible since I dunno much about hardware stuff, but it's that we can't Stream the device/console that we plug in HDMI IN, is that impossible to be updated? There's a technological thing making this impossible? Can the Scorpio change something about that?

Haven't read through the whole thread, but anyone else annoyed that they have added a Mixer tab on the Xbox One dash? To the right of Home of course, so you have to go through it to get to everything else. I can see why they did it, but to me its just an extra button press now when navigating on the dash.

I'm shocked that MS didn't go balls out to acquire the rights to that brand worldwide.

Beam is SUCH a better name than Mixer. I'm excited for the new features but I don't see this service getting as much of an audience as it could have had if they had retained the branding, which is a damn shame.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm shocked that MS didn't go balls out to acquire the rights to that brand worldwide.

Beam is SUCH a better name than Mixer. I'm excited for the new features but I don't see this service getting as much of an audience as it could have had if they had retained the branding, which is a damn shame.

Or at least choose s better name.

Stream?
I mean, what about a clever name relating to Windows?

I didn't remember beam before, so it's not like that name was dashingly impactful. I'll probably remember mixer simply because of all this about the "cooler" name being abandoned.

gamz

Probably too expensive and as they said it doesn't translate well in other languages. They already owned the WW rights to Mixer.com so it's a no-brainer. I was wondering how much they paid for Mixer.com because surely that has to be owned already, turns out by MS.

I'm cool with it and I love the branding and such. It's really growing on me.

Edit: And they also said that they lost a ton of viewers because it's Beam.pro and not Beam.com.

gamz

Why would Sony have an issue with Mixer on PlayStation?

They don't have a competing Streaming service.

Why would they help Xbox gain social points. I don't see that happening at all because It doesn't benefit Sony at all. They're already on twitch.

EvB

I'm shocked that MS didn't go balls out to acquire the rights to that brand worldwidE

It might not be about the rights, maybe more so that "Beam" doesn't make sense in other languages. Maybe it sounds like something else rude or offensive.

Like when Ikea have to rename Swedish products for the English speaking market

IKEA_names_14.jpg

From the interview, sounds like the name Beam was owned by another company internationally, or it had a really dirty translation in some country. But likely the former.

Orca

Watched the 'kickoff' for it and the tech is amazing. Loved the costreaming feature, though I hope there's a way to choose to just watch one person's stream in the solo style still, but the fireworks thing to end it was garbage. Why would you launch a game streaming service by showing off fireworks that could have been (and probably - judging by the wind the two presenters were battling - were) pre-recorded with two hosts yelling inane commentary like GET THE HYPE! SO MUCH HYPE IN CHAT!!! HEY TELL PEOPLE WHAT SPARKS ARE..... OH UHHH SPARKS ARE FROM WHEN YOU HIT ROCKS TOGETHER DUUUUUUDE WOOOOO

Debut it with a soon-to-be-released game or play some classics, whatever... Fireworks and 'trust me bros, I'm cool' lingo made this feel really desperate.

Septic360

Banned
Mixer DECIMATES Twitch.

It really deserves the viewership man.

FUCK SAKE MS. BARE STRESSING ME OUT. GET SOME MANS!

I'm gonna get on this train and lather in my own juices. Shit gon get real

Top Bottom