• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel this image in a teaser implies Sony is getting Crash back

Castcoder

Banned
I honestly think Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin would do another Crash game if they had the chance and no restrictions from publishers. Right now, Rubin seems busy helping out ex-employees of THQ, and Andy's off remembering his days of Naughty Dog on his blog. Though none really say they don't want to (I mean, I can't speak for them), but it just seems Gavin wants to revive the series. I heard that Andy Gavin went to developers to oversee the development of Crash, even after Naughty Dog stopped making Crash games. I also heard a rumor that Gavin was involved with making a new CTR.

FootballFan

Pretty weird this came up. I was thinking just an hour ago how happy I'd be if the Sony event thing would start right off with the "start your engines, for a sony computer entertainment europe production" *music plays*

CTR 2.

I still play CTR lol.

drproton

I love the Crash games but I don't really give a shit about the character or universe, so... eh. If Naughty Dog or whoever else is going to make a platformer, do it with a new IP.

That would be fine with me, but I guess what most people associate with Crash that hasn't been done very well since is its signature tunnel platforming.

I know I'll be labeled a troll for this, but I thought Super Mario 3D Land was the closest thing to a Crash successor in a bizarre kind of way, because it used the same kind of perspectives and had skill-based platforming in the z direction.

sn00zer

Pretty weird this came up. I was thinking just an hour ago how happy I'd be if the Sony event thing would start right off with the "start your engines, for a sony computer entertainment europe production" *music plays*

CTR 2.

I still play CTR lol.

Lol you mean america
Changed based on what country you were in

RaikuHebi

Banned
That would be fine with me, but I guess what most people associate with Crash that hasn't been done very well since is its signature tunnel platforming.

I know I'll be labeled a troll for this, but I thought Super Mario 3D Land was the closest thing to a Crash successor in a bizarre kind of way, because it used the same kind of perspectives and had skill-based platforming in the z direction.
You're not a troll, it's a very accurate assessment. I haven't played 3D Land myself but I've read and heard similar thoughts from others.

CTR 2.

I still play CTR lol.
I've been playing it this month lol.

And hearing that kind of classic Crash intro has been my dream for many a E3. Even when UC was first teased (jungle setting) I was hoping it would be Crash.

N.Domixis

Banned
The first two were mostly in temples and jungles on earth, the 3rd game was time traveling to different eras on earth, the next one would be about visiting alien worlds because nitros oxide came back for revenge or something.

Zalman

LtSH8SN.jpg
Watch this turn out to be nothing. :(

I want this to mean something but I think its just Sony playing homage to the good times.

I just saw this on the Elder Scrolls Facebook.

New PlayStation advert looks at memorable moments from previous generations. Can you find the Skyrim reference

:(

Orca

Skylanders is basically its own thing now after the first game, I believe? and Crash is not exactly making them money afaik, it's been on halt since about 2008.

Exactly. They took Spyro, essentially a dead license like Crash, and used it to generate a billion dollar franchise. Why would they sell off Crash, when they could theoretically use it to do the same thing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I want this to mean something but I think its just Sony playing homage to the good times.

New PlayStation advert looks at memorable moments from previous generations. Can you find the Skyrim reference

Aye, I did like playing Knack: Back Again on my PS2.

Funny how that Crash image is above the trash. as if Sony were lifting him out of the garbage…

whatsthat7wd6g.jpg

Is there no way to verify who owns the rights to what franchise? Also, tweet Yoshida, maybe squeeze a hint out of him.

sn00zer

Exactly. They took Spyro, essentially a dead license like Crash, and used it to generate a billion dollar franchise. Why would they sell off Crash, when they could theoretically use it to do the same thing.

Because they have tried reviving it at least three times to no avail....people dont want Crash, they want Sony Crash

E-Jay

They will launch a trialer with images of a dense jungle;

- the trailer will play jungle sounds and a huge voice (possible Bandera's) will say

-"He 's back for a new adventure!!!"

and when everybody is expecting Drake shows himself, the screen will fade out and suddenly fade in with this guy making this face:

Hogwild.gif

[trip mode off]

Cornbread78

Does it have a loading message on animals as they fall from the sky?

Mondy

Banned

An arrow pointing upwards towards what is clearly an homage to the Sony Computer Entertainment logo seems a bit elaborate for just remembering the good ol' days.

Alchemy

Spyro didn't make Skylanders any money. It was a cheap way for Activision to attach an existing IP to something new and risky to try to mitigate any problems. Take away Spyro and it is exactly the same product.

Nestunt

A properly executed/marketed new Crash by Naughty Dog could sell more than The Last of Us easily.

oh, i understand that

but the only sale i care about is the one im responsible for

and naughty dog is one of my favorite teams in videogames right now

i would give them my money

but i would prefer to give it for something new

RaikuHebi

Banned
An arrow pointing upwards towards what is clearly an homage to the Sony Computer Entertainment logo seems a bit elaborate for just remembering the good ol' days.
This is exactly why I don't get the naysayers. If it was just Crash on a sign maybe, but that SCE logo with the arrow is too much to just be a little homage.

TheOGB

Banned
Watch this turn out to be nothing. :(
Of course, what the fuck? They seriously trying to link Naughty Dog's space thing with a level that happened twice in one Crash game?

I will say I'm sure Sony's been trying to get something going since Playstation All-Stars at least, but people seem to be grasping at anything and everything and thinking they're onto something I don't think that's ever worked in Crash's case.

apana

I remember somebody made a Crash Bandicoot course using Cryengine a while back, I wonder what a Crash Bandicoot game designed for PS4 would look like. Too bad we will never get to find out.

Zalman

Of course, what the fuck? They seriously trying to link Naughty Dog's space thing with a level that happened twice in one Crash game?
I was mainly referring to the Crash hint in general. Never took the Naughty Dog + space game thing too seriously.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I have no idea why anyone would want Crash to be brought back. It was serviceable in 1996, but the games have aged horribly and the character is an embarrassing relic of 90s cliches. What Naughty Dog does this these days is far more interesting than Crash Bandicoot.

ASIS

please be true, I'll take another crash over any anything so long as its made with the same quality as the first three games.

So much nostalgia.

I honestly love crash but I would rather have Naughty Dogs talents put elsewhere. I love platforms that...that being said I don't think crash holds up well today.

Top Bottom