• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a particular reason Splatoon 2 doesn't have language options?

So I'm living in Japan, and as such have been buying Japanese copies of Switch games physically. In fact, my Switch is Japanese with the language set to English, and I've been really pleased to buy my games physically and be able to still play in English. Otherwise I'd be stuck importing and waiting.

Today I bought Splatoon 2 at Bic Camera (and was lucky enough to get the themes Joy Cons and Pro), and had a surprise waiting for me when I got home to play. Upon starting the game and quickly realizing what was happening, and after checking GAF's own thread for Switch titles with language options, I've realized the mistake I made.

Fair enough, honestly. I should have checked beforehand and not assumed. I'm actually in the process of learning the language anyway and the core gameplay isn't reliant on text. I am going to be missing out on a lot of story stuff and the banter between Pearl and Marina for now though. However I have two questions:

1. Is it possible/is there a chance they can add language options in an update?

2. Why would language options be included in a title like Arms or Mario Kart 8 DX, but not Splatoon 2?

I suppose the fact that all the Nintendo first party games I've bought had this so far made me assume they all would. But I'm really curious why it's not in there when it's in other multiplayer games. I know that people like me whom this affects are probably low in number, but I'd really appreciate it if they could add the option in a future update if possible.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
インポートする時間

There are region specific events so instead of making an ALL version like previous Nintendo published games they made a EU/US/JP one like in the Wii U days.

This

Very unlikely they'll patch languages into the game. There's zero incentive to do so. Bummer, yes.

Always check before you buy lol. I live in Japan and made sure to get the NA version digitally

There are region specific events so instead of making an ALL version like previous Nintendo published games they made a EU/US/JP one like in the Wii U days. And as a warning: Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Mario Odyssey also have region specific versions, however Pokken Tournament DX is ALL. I have no idea why Odyssey isn't ALL. Fire Emblem Warriors is probably like that because it isn't Nintendo that's developing it and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 might have region specific versions with one language to keep the file size down.

Mario odyssey is Multilanguage
https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000000828

Ridley327

This

Very unlikely they'll patch languages into the game. There's zero incentive to do so. Bummer, yes.

Always check before you buy lol. I live in Japan and made sure to get the NA version digitally

Can they in the case of Splatoon 2? Given that the Splatfests have involved licensed events before, I don't know how they would be able to, especially if Japan is getting stuff that wouldn't be available outside of Japan normally.

There are region specific events so instead of making an ALL version like previous Nintendo published games they made a EU/US/JP one like in the Wii U days. And as a warning: Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Mario Odyssey also have region specific versions, however Pokken Tournament DX is ALL. I have no idea why Odyssey isn't ALL. Fire Emblem Warriors is probably like that because it isn't Nintendo that's developing it and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 might have region specific versions with one language to keep the file size down.

This

Ah I see. Thanks for the replies!

Makes sense I guess. Wish they'd throw me a bone but I get the reasons haha. Thanks for the heads up about Odyssey too. I'm just gonna have to pay attention to this from now on I guess.

インポートする時間

待つことが嫌い。

:^(

Edit:

Ahhhhh good news then

Lylo

I almost bought the japanese version, the digital code was much cheaper on amazon.jp, then i realized in time that it was japanese only, so i had to pay more for the NA version...what a bummer...

-shadow-

I see no reason why region specific events would require the complete removal of other languages. Checking what the region the Switch is set too seems like a perfectly fine way to have the separate regional Splatfests. But that's just me I guess...

Ridley327

I see no reason why region specific events would require the complete removal of other languages. Checking what the region the Switch is set too seems like a perfectly fine way to have the separate regional Splatfests. But that's just me I guess...

Since they have used licensed materials in the past for the Splatfests (Autobots vs. Decepticons leaps immediately to mind), I would imagine that Nintendo doesn't want to pay fees where they don't have to, as I'm fairly sure that they would have to even if they did as you propose and left them unused in the game for those regions.

This makes sense to me as well, but I dunno maybe there's something I'm missing. In any case, I'm still having a blast with the game even if I am a little bummed that I'm missing the NPC text and story bits (which I guess I'll look up in English).

This is actually irritating me the other way around. I live in Australia, but I'm teaching myself Japanese so I'm trying to play everything I can in Japanese. Both Switch games I've played so far (BotW and ARMS, both bought locally) happily played in Japanese, but Splatoon gives me nothing but worthless English. Not the end of the world, I suppose, but at this point I feel like I'm shirking my studies playing stuff in English :p

Lylo

No, it's not just you, there's no excuses to not make the releases multilanguage, some time ago i bought World of Goo on the japanese eShop because i had some spare credit on that store and to my suprise, it only has japanese too. Thank god the language isn't a barrier in World of Goo.

Lylo

I'd argue that something like Xenoblade 2 which is probably already 20GB+ in size going by Xenoblade X isn't going to come with 10 languages built in. But they should offer them for free as DLC.

Yes, i think DLC would be the way to go, that's how Sony does with some of their first party releases, it only downloads the languages you select.

-shadow-

Out of curiosity, anyone who knows what language(s) were available for the Global Testfire? I'm looking on Switchbrew the region specifics and see that one was for all regions.

Out of curiosity, what language was the Global Testfire? I'm looking on Switchbrew the region specifics and see that one was for all regions.

That one definitely played in Japanese for me, downloaded from the Australian eShop with my Switch set to Japanese in the menu, so I'm assuming it had all languages included.

Ridley327

That one definitely played in Japanese for me, downloaded from the Australian eShop with my Switch set to Japanese in the menu, so I'm assuming it had all languages included.

That would make sense, since there were no rotation messages present and everybody was playing at the same time.

KtSlime

I assumed the SplatFest all had different versions per release, and only had that regions language.

I am a strong supporter for multiple language releases, but for simplicity's sake, it makes sense they did it this way, especially having different content, events, and character names.

If the game was multiple language released, would you (or anyone else wanting to comment) still be okay with the event's text and images still being only in the events language? Like the whole game is in English, and you get news updates from Pearl and Marina, but during Splatfests you get dialogue in Japanese from ヒメ and イイダ?

Rahk

I made the same mistake and presumed it would have language options because the previous first party games did. Should have checked, although even if I knew I may have ended up buying the JP version because it's cheaper for me anyway.

Luckily my Japanese isn't too bad, but I still probably won't pick up on everything.

Would be nice if they added English support for the main game and just ignore the events or whatever, but I don't see that happening.

Top Bottom