• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the aesthetic of BlazBlue turn you away from the series?

Spy

Fighting games are my favorite genre and while I can enjoy a few anime series (Death Note, Dragon Ball, Gurren Lagann), I just can not get past the "typical" anime look and feel of the series, even if the gameplay is good. It's just a complete turn off.

Guilty Gear is as far as I'm able to go because I don't get too strong of a weeaboo vibe.

Is this a common feeling for those in the FGC who aren't into anime?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How can a game made in japan be weeaboo?

Spy

How can a game made in japan be weeaboo?
Perhaps I am lacking the proper wording but I tend to mean that high school anime vibe, I don't know how to describe it. However you would classify the look and style of BlazBlue is what completely turns me off.

It certainly didn't help. But the game is pretty damn fun to play, and there still are some fresh character designs.
<3 Bullet.

Never had this problem with Guilty Gear though, because it's less "animu" than Blazblue which just goes full on loli and such.

FluxWaveZ

It's not really the reason I didn't stick with BlazBlue, but I was immediately repelled by Skullgirls because of its character design.

Kneefoil

Not at all. I haven't played any BlazBlue games, but I think that the aesthetic is one of its strong suits.

Speaking of fighting games that put me off by their visuals, Skullgirls was one of those games. I do not like how half the original cast looks like, so it took a long time for someone to convince me to buy the game.

petran79

Banned
I dont have an issue with the aesthetic but some of the fanart included in the game is a little explicit,as if they did not care for a wider audience.

Arakune is inspired by a character from Spirited Away.
Other characters look like they came out from Last Blade. Eg Akari-Platinum. Setsuna-Hakumen. Mukuro-Hazama. Shigen-Tager. Yuki-Tsubaki.

I stopped caring for the story after CS2 though.

tempapy

Neo Member
I'm not in the FGC but a few months ago I tried to get into fighting games (without being fan of japanese stuff), and indeed BlazeBlue felt "too much" anime for me.
And I don't find Guilty better in that regard.
On the other hand character designs in games like Street Fighter or King of Fighters don't bother me at all (for the most part).

Z..

I love ASW games but DBZ/Persona games aside I hate their art and character design. Cringe for days.

GG and BB. Love them but they are extremely corny to me. Big anime fan, for reference.

Fancolors

Pretty much the reason why I prefer GG over it.

That being said I wouldn't say GG is any less weeb than it. It would be more accurate to say BB's modern anime influence doesn't look as appealing to GG's 90s anime visual tropes.

Numb

I love ASW games but DBZ/Persona games aside I hate their art and character design. Cringe for days.

GG and BB. Love them but they are extremely corny to me. Big anime fan, for reference.
Baiken is dope
Not corny

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like GG's aeesthetic more.

It's the same reason why I never bought that merchant game in Steam or how I neevr bought any Disgaea or most of N1S's stuff. Not really big in moeblob style garbage.

Spy

That being said I wouldn't say GG is any less weeb than it. It would be more accurate to say BB's modern anime influence doesn't look as appealing to GG's 90s anime visual tropes.
I couldn't figure out why I'm fine with Guilty Gear but not BlazBlue and I think you hit the nail on the head for myself.

I like GG's aeesthetic more.

It's the same reason why I never bought that merchant game in Steam or how I neevr bought any Disgaea or most of N1S's stuff. Not really big in moeblob style garbage.
I know I am completely contradicting everything I said previously but I absolutely love the look and style of Disgaea. Perhaps I'm able to overlook it because the series feels like a parody of itself.

Z..

Baiken is dope
Not corny
"Cool" shonen animu designs are insufferable to me these days. Especially since they all look the same. Baiken would be my girl back when I was 16 and shonens were my jam... but as time goes on I just can't.

I'd like to see ASW tackle a more interesting art style. Something like Mononoke (the series, not the ghibli movie).

Looks like anime overwatch.
image.php

Nick_C

This is pretty much it for me. I stopped playing BB after Continuum Shift Extend because I found them aesthetically unappealing after that, especially the character portraits. I'm not an anime fan (watched Blue Lagoon, not much else) so I can't really speak to which eras the art styles represent. I just know that I don't like BB's and much prefer GG's.

Opa-Pa

I think it's okay for the most part, it's just that like 95% of the female characters looks terrible in their own different way. And yeah I prefer GG too.

For the most part anime aesthetics takes me away from a game but styles like Blazblue's are the exception. What takes me away is that it's a fighting game and usually remain expensive. When the Xbox one version is on sale for less than $15 I'll get it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Guilty gear and blazblue have the same anime aesthetic OP, for the most part. There is no such thing as "weaboo" art style.

Numb

"Cool" shonen animu designs are insufferable to me these days. Especially since they all look the same. Baiken would be my girl back when I was 16 and shonens were my jam... but as time goes on I just can't.
Baiken
Insufferable?

*Puts Z.. on ignore*

Yohane

Both BB and GG male characters have that edgy vibe, something like a middle school kids from the 90's would draw.

I actually prefer BB visual style over GG. I would love to see BB adapt GG's/DBZF's 3D graphics since those games look so amazing visually.

Bleep

The problem isn't that it's anime, but Blazblue has a very specific kind of maximalist over design that turns me off. It feels like everything got too many passes with extra details and the choices of colors don't really work when pieced together. The character designs are very off putting to me.

Outside of a few Xrd characters, Guilty Gear art feels a lot more cohesive to me and has much smarter use of palettes. Dragon Ball Z Fighters is looking fantastic too.

I’m not a huge fan of the art style but I’ve tried and can appreciate the Blazblue series after trying a few of the titles.

More of a Guilty Gear fan myself, and I gave the first Blazblue a shot under the pretense that it was Guilty Gear’s spiritual successor. Series never really stuck with me, even on return visits with updated releases later down the road.

gelf

I definitely prefer the overall look of Guilty Gear. I usually try to give every half decent fighter a go but I held off on BB for a while. Still as far as anime looking games go it's fine, I've seen a lot more off putting art elsewhere like in say 90% of the visual novels Steam tried to recommend to me just because I played a couple of anime fighters.

Nah, the designs are cool and unique, but the choppy animation does turn me completely off, as well as the sound design. Same exact issue with DBZ from everything I've seen. I know it's their artistic choice, but I'll never like chopped up animations over smooth animations like most of Street Fighter V. I wouldn't even be happy if I saw that type of animation in an episode of anything.

petran79

Banned

GG did not get the HD sprite transition of BB but jumped straight to 3D

BB was supposed to be GG successor but it failed to make an impact. Unlike GG that even competed with 2d SF on equal terms, SF4 was too big for BB.As a result series turned more hardcore and visual novel like along the way.

I did not expect back then for Arcsys to return to GG.

Neith

Banned
I like it. I just don't have time for all these fucking fighting games lol. I do try to just buzz through the story once at least.

Mephala

As with all anime fighters some characters appeal to me more than others. Hazama, Valkenhein, Rachel, Hakumen look pretty great. I even sort of like the creepy cat girl with the saws.

Some characters like Platinum is a turn off but not enough to push me away.

Then again I'm sure aesthetics alone js enough to push me away. It is rare for an entire roster to be that bad for me

AALLx

No. Blazblue is my favorite fighting game series, and I play most of the mainstream Japanese fighting games. I'd take BB and GG art and designs over more boring and generic designs like KoF and SF (although SFV has improved greatly in the design department).

What turns me off completely are the designs on Mortal Kombat (aside from the terrible gameplay).

Dynedom

I'm not exactly sure how you can get a "weaboo vibe" from BlazBlue and not Guilty Gear. I'm going to need some examples. I'm assuming this isn't down to character design.

Evilisk

It definitely turned me off from the series for the longest time, though I did end up playing CT for the first time this year.

Arakune is inspired by a character from Spirited Away.
Other characters look like they came out from Last Blade. Eg Akari-Platinum. Setsuna-Hakumen. Mukuro-Hazama. Shigen-Tager. Yuki-Tsubaki.

After thinking about it... yeah there are some similarities with Last Blade. I do recall reading about the Hakumen/Last Blade connection somewhere at least.

I actually honest thought of Darkstalkers first, though (speaking only for CT's cast).

-You got a catgirl (Felicia/Taokaka), a vampire (Rachel/Demitri), a werewolf (Talbain/Valkenhayn) and a heavy/large golem who fights with lightning (Victor/Tager).

-Arakune and Carl Clover + Nirvana actually struck me as the concepts of Shadow and Marionette from Darkstalkers but turned into actual fighters. Same with Nu-13 seemingly taking Jedah's aesthetic, but removing the self mutilation and playing up the bladed wings concept by 100%

-Then there are some smaller things, like Litchi's gameplay gimmick reminding me of Donovan with his sword, or Noel with her silly, short ranged guns reminding me of Bulleta's machine gun attacks (which also have hilariously short range normally).

(I don't think Blazblue is unoriginal or derivative but I was not expecting this game to remind me so much of Darkstalkers in certain parts)

Top Bottom