• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I made a Studying/Relaxing playlist full of video game music

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As an older fellow who adores the shit out of chilled and relaxing music, I must say this playlist is full of gems and makes me re-appreciate how great video game music can be.

My hat is off to you.

edit: Oh dear. You just made me go in to nostalgic overdrive with the Animal Crossing: Wild World extended theme.

Bleeether

I envy anyone that can study with music, or any noise. I have to isolate myself in a sound proof hyberbolic chamber to get anything done.
No not really

Great playlist, definitely something that i can chill out to.

ameleco

Love this type of music! Along with what others have already mentioned....perhaps some dire dire docks from sm64?

Do not under any circumstance drift off to sleep listening to the Macalania Woods theme from FF10. I fell asleep leveling up in the woods one night during my first playthrough of the game, and I had a nightmare so awful that I woke up absolutely terrified, in borderline shock, with a feeling of terror and loneliness. It was so bad that when I realized it was a dream, I got an overwhelming feeling of happiness that almost drove me to tears, like the biggest weight ever had been lifted.

But then it happened again the very next night. I don't remember the nightmares really, just the feeling. It's the track from the OST called The Silence Before the Storm. I dare not provide a Youtube link. Shit's cursed.

Magnus

Thanks!

Honest Q: What's the legality of uploading music like this onto youtube and assembling into playlists and such?

Lunar15

Did you happen to see this comment on the Pilotwings 64 video?

I can't tell you how cool it is to find these posts and read these comments. I'm Dan Hess, the composer for Pilotwings 64, and it's good to find out that the target audience got it, because most 40 year old reviewers at the time didn't. Thanks for posting this!

I LOVE when stuff like this happens on the internet. Also, people disliked the Pilotwings 64 soundtrack?

Robot Pants

Cool stuff but you should add some of the NieR soundtrack on there. Grandma, Emil sacrifice, snow in summer.
Those three should be great.

Edit: haven't listened yet cause I'm on my phone, so sorry if they are already on there

AoM

Thanks!

Honest Q: What's the legality of uploading music like this onto youtube and assembling into playlists and such?

Not really sure. Sometimes a video will get matched for third party content, and I assume they receive profit as a result. Also, I've messaged some composers about it, and some have no problem with it, but others are against it and would rather keep their music in one place (i.e. bandcamp).

Tremis

This man does his research.
Didn't know you posted here either. I cobbled together a playlist awhile back from your stuff for the express purpose of studying to it. Thanks for the great channel, man.

Videoneon

Loving the Spyro 2 and Macalania Woods FFX shoutouts. I really loved listening to the Macalania Woods theme. It's so peaceful and happy. Then FFX-2's Macalania Woods is awesome in a different way.

Didn't know SupraDarky posted here, either.

Anyway, I've always thought that Klonoa 2 has pretty relaxing music.

Cave of Glimmer Moss
High Priestess of Sadness

On a side note, I bought and beat Klonoa on the Wii recently. That first stage in the Moon Kingdom, Vision 6-1...so good. Incidentally:

Best VGM 752 - Klonoa - Untamed Heart (Vision 6-1)

I always found this very relaxing too:

Blue Resort - Bomberman 64

8lAL0zll.jpg

Here's the link, there's a Shuffle option: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL719789CCE8C818B5&feature=view_all

Well I think this might be one of my first threads. If you're a fan of video game music and searched for it on YouTube, chances are that you've stumbled upon a couple of my "SupraDarky's favorite VGMs" videos. I've been doing it for more than 5 years now (crazy!).

A couple months ago, I completed my Master and decided to upload the playlist that helped me go through most of my studies. I've been getting tons of great feedback with a lot of people saying it's helping them as well. It's still growing (about 4 hours of music right now). You end up associating the tracks with studying, which allows you to immediately turn your concentration on when needed in a pleasant way. I still use this playlist to surf the web sometimes as well.

Dolphin's Intrigue is a perfect sample, especially starting at this part with the constant bass melody. Just gets me in the groove right away.

I'm pretty sure midterms are around the corner, so I thought now was good time to let some of you VGM fans know about it and maybe help you go through the study grind! Hopefully some of you enjoy it.

Damn. I didn't know you post here.

I am currently working my way through your list.

AC!D

This is great! I have a similar studying playlist saved myself but this has tons of stuff I haven't heard before. Will definitely be using this. Thanks very much, OP!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Great list, but desperately needs some Chrono Cross OST.

SupraDarky has a NeoGAF account. My day is fucking MADE. I love your channel, dude.

Relaxing soundtracks? I would definitely recommend the entire Donkey Kong Country series soundtracks. Low-medium volume, so the music isn't too distracting.

Jesus you people, have none of you followed the G.A.M.E. threads? SupraDarky has made so many awesome contributions to those albums through time. Some of my favorites are:

Voyage
Plastik Elastik
Electronic City
Strollin'

I still listen to these tracks on a monthly basis!

Sad to see that G.A.M.E. is no more :/

Ahh yes, I very much miss the G.A.M.E. albums! It greatly inspired and motivated me to compose new tracks. Hopefully NeoGAF is up for a G.A.M.E. 7 someday. I think after the peak with our Wipeout HD album, a lot of contributors lost their motivation once they saw the rest of the albums weren't as popular.

I'll be updating the list tonight with some new calming entries. I'm glad people are appreciating it!

Quikies83

I just subscribed. Thanks for putting this list together.

I'd also suggest a track or two from Dear Esther and Viva Pinata (night time).

Teppic

Interesting to see what music you studied to. I'm studying right now and some music from Nier has worked best for me.

Pyrrhus

SupraDarky, thanks for all the years of lovingly curated music. Your playlists make work a lot more bearable. I've actually listened to this particular playlist many times over the last several months, so it's nice to see you're still continuing to add to it.

Top Bottom