• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is stupid, but is there a way to use the "fixed function" keys on an xbox 360 controller? I've been getting up to use the keyboard every time I need to access the menu. LOL

What do you mean "fixed function?" Just set the camp menu to whatever button you want.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Start as Hugo then!

And fortunately(?) you probably have at least a month or two until that point anyway.

Edit: Nah, hell with that, it's not fortunate, it needs to be out already.

Yeah, it does. I know I'm gonna love it. And from what I've heard, the soundtrack is a lot more my style, too.

I like Oath's soundtrack, but I dunno... I don't like it anywhere near as much as say... Ys Seven's OST. But that's just me. The Elderm Mountains songs and Genos Island songs are pretty whatever for me... Some songs rock fuckin' hard, though, so that's always good. Valestian Castle and the volcano are particularly gnarly. But man cannot survive on two songs, so I've been listening to podcasts in the background instead after that first playthrough.

'Gratz to Orin for finishing Nightmare. That's an accomplishment.

I was pretty trashed last night while I was trying to level up, and then I went over to my friend's place and drank some more, so that put the kibosh on my Ys efforts for the day. Maybe today will be the day, but I'm kinda busy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The instrumentation in Origin is all synth, it's good while playing the game but I don't think it's nearly as listenable as the best from Oath.

The Super Arrange album is awesome though, and I wish the whole OST was done that way from the start (except Genesis Beyond the Beginning, which I still like, but the piano arrangement wouldn't work for the game).

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I have it...

X = Nothing
A = Attack
B = Jump
Y = Boost
R = Magic
L = Next spell

Working fairly well. No idea how they would expect you go hold to charge and jump with both buttons on the face.

I have:

X - Attack
A - Jump
B - Magic
Y -
R/L - Magic Toggle
Right Analogue Stick Click - Boost

Oops, didn't realize that was an old post

TheExodu5

Banned
I have it...

X = Nothing
A = Attack
B = Jump
Y = Boost
R = Magic
L = Next spell

Working fairly well. No idea how they would expect you go hold to charge and jump with both buttons on the face.

You need to bring back those Mario Bros. skills. Hold X and roll your thumb to hit A.

Orin GA

Playing around with Debug mode. I'm told if you use it it flags your play save and you don't get placed on the leader boards. To get a valid run you have to start over your play thru.

Alright. I'm done with the game.

Bows out.

Played a little this morning, beat
Garland
with ease, and promptly got my face smashed in by the last boss. Can't wait to try again when I get home from work. I'm level 50, which seems like it's probably a little overleveled, though I haven't really done any grinding. I might grind some raval to upgrade my armor before trying again.

...And then it's on to Hard mode.

About hard mode, is it really hard if you play OiF for the first time? I'm playing all the Ys games now for the first time on my Vita and am almost done with Ys II. I'm doing this one next and am planning to start directly on hard, since that's what I'm playing Ys II on atm. It's the psp version of OiF I have so I think that one's easier due to double boost and restart at last screen when you die. Basically, I just want to know if the difficulty of this game is harder than that Ys I and II so I don't get stuck if I start on hard :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
About hard mode, is it really hard if you play OiF for the first time? I'm playing all the Ys games now for the first time on my Vita and am almost done with Ys II. I'm doing this one next and am planning to start directly on hard, since that's what I'm playing Ys II on atm. It's the psp version of OiF I have so I think that one's easier due to double boost and restart at last screen when you die. Basically, I just want to know if the difficulty of this game is harder than that Ys I and II so I don't get stuck if I start on hard :p

You have to beat normal to unlock hard.

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, quick question: I've been playing for a couple of hours and I'm about to finish the first dungeon. Can you get everything from a dungeon once you get in for the first time or is it the type of games where you need to go back once you get certain abilities later on?

Because I found some items and I have no clue how to get to them.

iavi

Hey guys, quick question: I've been playing for a couple of hours and I'm about to finish the first dungeon. Can you get everything from a dungeon once you get in for the first time or is it the type of games where you need to go back once you get certain abilities later on?

Because I found some items and I have no clue how to get to them.

Yeah, you have to come back once you get later abilities--to that first dungeon, a few times. You'll get the ability to teleport, however, so getting in and back out when backtracking is a breeze.

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, you have to come back once you get later abilities--to that first dungeon, a few times. You'll get the ability to teleport, however, so getting in and back out when backtracking is a breeze.
Ok, thanks! I won't worry about them for now.

I am playing Ys I and II for Virtual Console on Wii.

Ys I is so damn good. I got used to the ramming mechanic, and super overleveled and have cakewalked most of the game.

But right now I'm nearing the end, and this game's difficulty spiked so much. These enemies deal SO MUCH DAMAGE and are SO DAMN FAST.

Ys I is so damn good. I got used to the ramming mechanic, and super overleveled and have cakewalked most of the game.

But right now I'm nearing the end, and this game's difficulty spiked so much. These enemies deal SO MUCH DAMAGE and are SO DAMN FAST.

If you like Ys I you will love Ys II, it's an improvement on every level. Oh and enjoy the end boss of Ys I :p

If you like Ys I you will love Ys II, it's an improvement on every level. Oh and enjoy the end boss of Ys I :p

Yeah, I really enjoyed Ys I but then I started II and couldn't believe how much better it is. Really makes the first game just feel like an introduction to the main event.

Reknoc

I played Ys I on the PC, the ramming mechanic is surprisingly a lot of fun. Could never get past the bat guy though.

Volcynika

Started up a hard run this weekend, just halfway through the Elderm Mountains now. No bosses have really held me up much, but I fearrrrrr the dragon. D:

I've beaten it on nightmare on PSP, but I still dislike it!

Hahahaha, I'm having trouble finishing Ys I.

It is super fun and amazing.

But the Darm Tower. Is so hard. And so long. I've never died and reloaded so much in an RPG before.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Book I+II on PCE is still my favorite Ys game. Yeah, more so than the eternal or chronicles versions and all the far more sophisticated and beautiful sequels. Don't ask me why. There is just something intrinsically powerful about the simplicity, barely-16bit pixel art, and the timeless yet so very 90s electric guitar Koshiro score that none of the sequels or remakes can touch. It's not even a nostalgia thing because I never got to play that version until a few years ago. It just hits me in all the right places. :p

Felghana is tied with Dawn of Ys for second place. :)

Well I guess I just beat Ys I! That final boss was pathetically easy. Then the game threw me directly into Ys II with just a bad cutscene as a transition, hahaha.

But it's nice to see that Ys II is a literal continuation of the first. Kind of disappointed that all of the weapons at the weapon store and such are all the same though!

Oh well, I'll start this later.

The Ys II intro on the PSP is like, one of the best things of all time ever made. Ever.

I actually have a question about the PSP Chronicles.

Is that also a port of a PC version, or is that pretty much just PSP exclusive?

Because I'm thinking about buying it, but I'd prefer it on my PC system I haven't touched my PSP in years.

Aeana

I actually have a question about the PSP Chronicles.

Is that also a port of a PC version, or is that pretty much just PSP exclusive?

Because I'm thinking about buying it, but I'd prefer it on my PC system I haven't touched my PSP in years.

It's a port of the PC Eternal/Complete games with two extra music options and a new portrait art option. The PC versions take some finagling to get working on Windows 7 though, they're older games.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Eternal and Complete generally work fine on Win7 as long as you kill explorer.exe when you play.

I thought Chronicles on pc would just be Complete with the psp VA and redrawn portraits... but it's actually just a direct port of the psp version. Resolution, UI and everything. :(

jett

D-Member
So uh is there a way of running this game on a widescreen monitor and not having it look all stretched out?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So uh is there a way of running this game on a widescreen monitor and not having it look all stretched out?

You can set an option in your video card settings to not stretch it so it has black bars on the sides. Some people mentioned how to do that earlier in the thread, especially for NVidia cards. That, or play in windowed mode.

Netto-kun

I actually played through the Groupon version of Ys Origin the other day. Initially I was using Hugo on Very Easy, but restarted as Yunica on Normal. The bosses were pretty damn cool. Some of were even homage to Ys I bosses, which I also played through (Chronicles PSP version, haven't started on Ys II yet) recently.

Is there something similar for ATI cards?
Assuming ATI and AMD are the same thing, you can probably use this post as a reference.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36191926&postcount=588

FWIW my laptop is using an ATI Mobility Radeon card, and I am using the same program to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio in Felghana and Origin.

Eusis

Yeah, AMD's stupider there. Sometimes it'll just keep resetting too once it gets out of the resolution you set it to not stretch, even though the damn point of these settings is usually so games don't stretch. One big reason I'm glad to be back with an nVidia card and probably won't care that much about an AMD card being stronger.

Yeah, AMD's stupider there. Sometimes it'll just keep resetting too once it gets out of the resolution you set it to not stretch, even though the damn point of these settings is usually so games don't stretch. One big reason I'm glad to be back with an nVidia card and probably won't care that much about an AMD card being stronger.

Yeah this sucks. I use my HDTV as my monitor and run my resolution at 1920x1080. I can set it lower and then enable the non stretch option, but when I put it back to 1080 it defaults back to greying the option out >_<.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yeah this sucks. I use my HDTV as my monitor and run my resolution at 1920x1080. I can set it lower and then enable the non stretch option, but when I put it back to 1080 it defaults back to greying the option out >_<.

Even when greyed out, it's still applied. Mine does the same thing. Heck you can see it in my post there, the screen shot shows it greyed out and scaling turned off, yet scaling is in fact enabled.

Even when greyed out, it's still applied. Mine does the same thing. Heck you can see it in my post there, the screen shot shows it greyed out and scaling turned off, yet scaling is in fact enabled.

I was about to edit my post, lol. I got fustrated with it reverting back to greyed out + scaling turned off, but when I booted up OiF it was properly bordered and non-stretched. Thanks for the info.

jett

D-Member
Beat it last night, loved it. I'll be down for Origins day 1. Sad too see this hasn't gotten a whole lot of media exposure.

Check Aeana's post if you have an NVIDIA card.

Well, I have an ATI card...and their comparative option doesn't work for me lol. Nevermind, my monitor can do "4:3 stretching".

I just finished the snow mountain dungeon, this game is QUITE awesome. Simple old-school goodness.

Eusis

I mean sometimes it seems to resets itself PERIOD, not simply graying out again at full resolution. Or I may be misremembering and it has it set differently for each resolution or something. At any rate, nVidia's saner 99% of the time, and when it isn't it's usually because you completely made up a resolution (my attempt at creating 16:9 native resolution on 1680x1050).

Where did everyone use to grind out the last few levels to reach 60? I used the Levynades wolf monsters near the final save point until I hit level 54 then I've been using the Mozgouz larva monsters in the Lava Zone near the chest to level up. I'm at 56 right now. This is taking forever, but it does seem to be the fastest method at this point.

Orin GA

I don't think anyone here has reached lvl 60. Takes way too long and completely breaks the last boss. I stopped at lvl 52 for all my playthrus.

Top Bottom