• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Goody

How long did it take you?

I'm considering getting this, but torn on whether to play it on PC or my PSP.

Just over 5 hours, but that's with already knowing where exactly to go for the first half of the game since I had played that bit on Normal.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Death Faleon (Hard Mode) Oh wow. Did they show some mercy here? He plays just like he does in normal mode.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Death Faleon (Hard Mode) Oh wow. Did they show some mercy here? He plays just like he does in normal mode.

Is that the dude who you have to fight with elemental attacks? Because I just took him out a minute ago, and he seemed less difficult than in normal mode. Which is fine. Dude's a dickhead, frankly.

Orin GA

Is that the dude who you have to fight with elemental attacks? Because I just took him out a minute ago, and he seemed less difficult than in normal mode. Which is fine. Dude's a dickhead, frankly.

Yup. Beat him on the first try. Weird

The Mutt's giving me trouble but Im getting close

Danny Dudekisser

Yup. Beat him on the first try. Weird

The Mutt's giving me trouble but Im getting close

I wanna put that damn dog outta commission, but law school's getting in the way. Gotta sit through an hour of class, and then I've got time to make some real progress. Hopefully.

Tonight is definitely gonna be Ys, though.

Still can't believe I'm on my third playthrough already. Game is so mint.

Orin GA

Oh man. They decided to be cute and give C. a fucking bubble after he does that lance attack. I can get off like 3 hits before he starts attacking. WTF.

Zampano

The bosses ruin this game. The leap in difficulty from the main parts of the levels to the bosses is ridiculous. Sorry, but dying 50 times to learn the patterns and then get a lucky run in is not my idea of fun. It's a shame because I'm loving everything else about it. I am a weak sauce gamer.

The bosses ruin this game. The leap in difficulty from the main parts of the levels to the bosses is ridiculous. Sorry, but dying 50 times to learn the patterns and then get a lucky run in is not my idea of fun. It's a shame because I'm loving everything else about it. I am a weak sauce gamer.
That's a shame. The bosses are a highlight for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also a highlight for me, challenging bosses is something that's consistent throughout the series. Maybe try easy mode if you're on normal?

The boss fights in all of the Ys games are always great highlights for me. There are only a few that I genuinely hated due to their design (*Glares at Dark Fact*).

What difficulty level are you playing at?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

50 times? Jesus dude turn down the difficulty.

It's a JRPG. Which means the answer is always:

-Grind a little
-Upgrade equipment

Maedhros

30fps vs 60fps is a world of difference. I'm always amazed when people downplay it - if something runs on a higher framerate, I'll always go for the higher framerate version, period.

Same here. It's absolutely vital.

More power for you guys. Makes no difference FOR ME. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment, at all.

I'm not downplaying, I'm saying that it makes no difference for me and people who don't care for frames, but just a stable game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's a JRPG. Which means the answer is always:

-Grind a little
-Upgrade equipment

I can't speak for difficulty modes above normal (the answer in that case is probably "don't suck") but as long as you kill most of the enemies you come across through normal play you shouldn't ever have to grind. The sole exception being for Galbalan, he's beatable at level 50 which you should be as you get to him, but another level or 2 makes him significantly easier.

Upgrades are really important though, but if you don't know where new equipment or ravel chests are, you probably will end up grinding as you explore, which should just make it all even easier.

Edit: And this reminds me that I have a friend who always starts games on the hardest difficulty, just because. It's a good thing Hard and Nightmare are locked out, since starting on Nightmare (or Inferno for that matter) would just be crazy :lol

Danny Dudekisser

Finished the game on hard. Kinda weird - I thought Garland was a much tougher boss than the final boss... actually, the final boss was kind of a punk-ass bitch. Rolled through him on my first try (using the revival thing, but still.) I was either level 51 or 52. Dunno.

But yeah, hard was definitely a thrill. Not sure when I'll start Nightmare... might take a couple days off, since I have totally played through the game 3 times in a row now...

Ugh, so fucking tired now. Long day + exhausting boss battles + 1:30 AM = Need some sleep.

Orin GA

You know what...on second thought I'm not gonna do nightmare. I think I know what my limits are. Ive got other games to play and don't want to spend too much time perfecting my gameplay. Good luck to those who try tho. To those out there that legitly beat Inferno mode, you guys are gaming gods.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Beat the first boss on my 11th attempt. Fuck if I didn't muck up the last attempt I wouldn't have gotten the stupid "Consult a FAQ already" achievement.:(

Reknoc

Beat the first boss on my 11th attempt. Fuck if I didn't muck up the last attempt I wouldn't have gotten the stupid "Consult a FAQ already" achievement.:(

The wizard or the chick?

I still haven't got that achievement, thought the ice dragon would do it, but nope :(

creid

Just got deep into Elderm last night and am having real trouble doing a decent amount damage to the rock guys who shoot ice along the floor. Is there a trick to it, or do I have to grind for 30min to get enough gold for the next weapon?

Volcynika

Just got deep into Elderm last night and am having real trouble doing a decent amount damage to the rock guys who shoot ice along the floor. Is there a trick to it, or do I have to grind for 30min to get enough gold for the next weapon?

Tips for those guys:
Find the next bracelet.

creid

Tips for those guys:
Find the next bracelet.

Do I have to pass a bunch of them to get it? I was dashing through a lot of them to try to get to the next save point, and I didn't come across it. May have just missed it, though.

Volcynika

Do I have to pass a bunch of them to get it? I was dashing through a lot of them to try to get to the next save point, and I didn't come across it. May have just missed it, though.

I think you enter a cave and go up and first encounter them? If you go through that path and make your way upward, you should come to a left-right split. Go right and you should find the bracelet, it's not a long way past where they start appearing.

Orin GA

You ll get something to deal with them and another enemy in that level. Just keep playing, you cant miss it as it is a story based item.

Reknoc

For where you are at the moment, I found doing the double jump downward stab to stun them then throw a few fireballs to work well.

I beat the game finally, but at level 58. I was just sick of grinding. I massacred that mofo.

Now I'm playing on Very Easy, and I love how pathetic it is. I love just blowing through a game and massacring everything.

And is it just me and my grinding experiences at the end of the game on Normal, or does the leveling seem A LOT faster on Very Easy? I grinded to level 12 in the Quarry alone before I even fought the first boss.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think you enter a cave and go up and first encounter them? If you go through that path and make your way upward, you should come to a left-right split. Go right and you should find the bracelet, it's not a long way past where they start appearing.

Actually, Dogi gives it to you, a few "rooms" after Berhardt's place.

Danny Dudekisser

Woke up this morning and was like "well, Wednesday's pretty much a day off... so what do I do?"

So I started a new game on Nightmare. Got through the first dungeon without much of a problem. The statue boss was a pain in the fucking ass at first, until I realized that I should be charging up my shot instead of just mashing the magic attack button. Then the fight got real easy.

The game supports cloud saves, right? Because I'm gonna be away from my crib this weekend, but want to continue the fight on my laptop.

Orin GA

Woke up this morning and was like "well, Wednesday's pretty much a day off... so what do I do?"

So I started a new game on Nightmare. Got through the first dungeon without much of a problem. The statue boss was a pain in the fucking ass at first, until I realized that I should be charging up my shot instead of just mashing the magic attack button. Then the fight got real easy.

The game supports cloud saves, right? Because I'm gonna be away from my crib this weekend, but want to continue the fight on my laptop.

Speaking of that boss, can you beat it on Hard Mode Boss Rush? You are literally dead in 4 hits. The problem is she now she can throw the spinning disc upwards so when you jump you will get hit. Seems a bit unfair.

Danny Dudekisser

Speaking of that boss, can you beat it on Hard Mode Boss Rush? You are literally dead in 4 hits. The problem is she now she can throw the spinning disc upwards so when you jump you will get hit. Seems a bit unfair.

Haven't tried boss rush on any level yet. But yeah, throwing the discs diagonally is some bullshit, yo.

Currently in the volcano on Nightmare. Took out Guillen or whatever his name is. The dragon. That's a boss that is way more dependent on strategy than levels. Struggled like crazy with that dude on normal, but after learning the strategy, I took him out without much of a problem on hard and nightmare.

Orin GA

I beat the game finally, but at level 58. I was just sick of grinding. I massacred that mofo.

Now I'm playing on Very Easy, and I love how pathetic it is. I love just blowing through a game and massacring everything.

And is it just me and my grinding experiences at the end of the game on Normal, or does the leveling seem A LOT faster on Very Easy? I grinded to level 12 in the Quarry alone before I even fought the first boss.

Damn son, you went too far. He was probably doing 1-8 damage on you per hit . 50-52 is the perfect challenge for him on normal. May I ask where you grinded to 58 tho? Was it with those lava bugs?

Haven't tried boss rush on any level yet. But yeah, throwing the discs diagonally is some bullshit, yo.

Currently in the volcano on Nightmare. Took out Guillen or whatever his name is. The dragon. That's a boss that is way more dependent on strategy than levels. Struggled like crazy with that dude on normal, but after learning the strategy, I took him out without much of a problem on hard and nightmare.

Stop, your making me want to tackle Nightmare mode!

Sentenza

You're just a poor player.
No need to made up excuses to blame the game for your complete lack of skill, just tune the difficulty down.

Goody

Beat the game last night. I absolutely loved it. I played it on Easy, which made me feel like I may have cheated myself, but I still had a good time. The bosses on Normal were just a little too hard for me, but I'll have to go back and be a little more patience next time. I absolutely cannot blame anyone but myself for the difficulty I had with them.

Now I can't wait for Origin. I'll take Trails in the Sky while they're at it.

Until then I'll play any of the three Carpe Fulgur games which have been sitting in my library unplayed. :(

Wonko_C

You're just a poor player.
No need to made up excuses to blame the game for your complete lack of skill, just tune the difficulty down.

You don't need to be so blunt with the guy, he has a point, though not in the way he thinks: Enemies should be more challenging to be closer in difficulty to the bosses.

More power for you guys. Makes no difference FOR ME. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment, at all.

I'm not downplaying, I'm saying that it makes no difference for me and people who don't care for frames, but just a stable game.
Playing the PSP version now and it doesn't even feel like 30 fps, to be honest.

iavi

For where you are at the moment, I found doing the double jump downward stab to stun them then throw a few fireballs to work well.

Yeah, this actually works better in the long run because, when using charge it only breaks their outer-wall and they split off into another enemy--an irritating floating one, no less. They don't split if you beat them any other way.

Top Bottom