• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I just beat the dragon in Hard mode Time Attack where you dont have the option to grind. If you can do that then Nightmare is possible.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
This may be a really silly question but I'm pretty new to Steam and would like to know if there is a way of playing Felghana without having to log in each time? I realise you can switch Steam to 'offline' mode but that still requires logging in to then tell it to restart offline.

I'm playing it on my laptop and wont always have an internet connection, so is there a way of just being able to play the game without actually having to go through this extra layer of Steam first?

Also highly annoying is the way I have to wait for Steam to update itself everytime I do log into it or try to start the game - seems to take forever sometimes.

I really don't care about achievements and friend lists and all the other Steam nonsense, I just want to be able to play the game I bought without having to be online and logged in!

This may be a really silly question but I'm pretty new to Steam and would like to know if there is a way of playing Felghana without having to log in each time? I realise you can switch Steam to 'offline' mode but that still requires logging in to then tell it to restart offline.

I'm playing it on my laptop and wont always have an internet connection, so is there a way of just being able to play the game without actually having to go through this extra layer of Steam first?

Also highly annoying is the way I have to wait for Steam to update itself everytime I do log into it or try to start the game - seems to take forever sometimes.

I really don't care about achievements and friend lists and all the other Steam nonsense, I just want to be able to play the game I bought without having to be online and logged in!

Once you log in and set Steam to "offline mode" you can boot it up as many times in off line mode as you want w/o having to reconnect. You don't have to boot it up online before every time you want to play it "off line." I think it does require you to log back in every so often (maybe once a month or something?).

epmode

Every time my internet connection has crapped out, Steam has always restarted itself in offline mode and everything was fine. I didn't need to manually switch it over or anything.

It might help that I leave Steam open at all times so all of my games are fully updated.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
Once you log in and set Steam to "offline mode" you can boot it up as many times in off line mode as you want w/o having to reconnect. You don't have to boot it up online before every time you want to play it "off line." I think it does require you to log back in every so often (maybe once a month or something?).

If I forget to set Steam to offline mode and then for whatever reason find myself without an internet connection would I still be able to play the game? Or would I have to wait until I could connect again?

I bought X-Com on Steam recently and with that I can just go into the steamapps folder on my computer, double click the .exe and the game starts with no problems and without having to go through Steam itself - if I do the same with Felghana I find myself greeted with the Steam log in screen.

If I forget to set Steam to offline mode and then for whatever reason find myself without an internet connection would I still be able to play the game? Or would I have to wait until I could connect again?

I bought X-Com on Steam recently and with that I can just go ito the steamapps folder on my computer, double click the .exe and the game starts with no problems and without having to go through Steam itself - if I do the same with Felghana I find myself greeted with the Steam log in screen.

I haven't used offline mode in a very long time, but I do believe you have to be online to be able to switch. If you are really online very rarely, you can just leave it in offline mode indefinitely. It's certainly not optimal though, as you won't get updates and you will still be required to sign in at least once every month or two.

As above, I pretty much leave Steam running online 24/7, so I never have issues with anything being out of date.

Being able to execute Steam games without Steam relies on the specific game - most games that make use of Steamworks features (as Felghana does) won't run outside of Steam.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
I haven't used offline mode in a very long time, but I do believe you have to be online to be able to switch. If you are really online very rarely, you can just leave it in offline mode indefinitely. It's certainly not optimal though, as you won't get updates and you will still be required to sign in at least once every month or two.

As above, I pretty much leave Steam running online 24/7, so I never have issues with anything being out of date.

Being able to execute Steam games without Steam relies on the specific game - most games that make use of Steamworks features (as Felghana does) won't run outside of Steam.

Leaving it in offline mode indefinitely doesn't sound ideal as like you say there would be no updates and I'd still have to sign in semi regularly anyway. It's not the end of the world or anything, I'll still play the game but it just seems to be a bit user-unfriendly in that respect.

I only run Steam when I'm playing a game through it or browsing the store and leaving it on 24/7 isn't really feasible for me unfortunately.

Surely they should include options to disable Steamworks features if you don't need or want them? An option to play the games in 'vanilla' mode without having to be online or logging in and setting it to 'offline' mode and without the Steamworks features?

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about all that nonsense and just wants to play the game without any unnecessary hindrances?

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
So I assume the game is selling very well? Then I guess I don't have to buy it.

Did you think you were obliged to buy the game just because it may not have been selling?

You should buy it only if you think it is something you will enjoy, leave worrying about sales numbers to the publishers.

kuroshiki

Did you think you were obliged to buy the game just because it may not have been selling?

You should buy it only if you think it is something you will enjoy, leave worrying about sales numbers to the publishers.

I already have 2 copies of YS OOF. One for Japanese PC (which I bought import back in ... 2006 or something) and one for PSP, and I'm thinking of buying one for Vita.

Do I enjoy it? Yes. Do I love steam enough to buy another game just because it was on steam? Not really.

But if this guarantees (which I doubt) TiTs translation somehow in the future, I guess buying 3rd time on steam is worth the investment.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
I already have 2 copies of YS OOF. One for Japanese PC (which I bought import back in ... 2006 or something) and one for PSP, and I'm thinking of buying one for Vita.

Do I enjoy it? Yes. Do I love steam enough to buy another game just because it was on steam? Not really.

But if this guarantees (which I doubt) TiTs translation somehow in the future, I guess buying 3rd time on steam is worth the investment.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now, from your previous post I wasn't sure if you had played the game before or were new to it.

I have the PSP version of Felghana and I've played it to death, easily my favourite game on the system. I bought the Steam version so that I could play it in HD and at 60fps - I'm not someone who cares that much about graphics but I wanted to see what the game looked like in its original format.

If I was in your position and already had the PC version I wouldn't have bought it on Steam, in fact I wish I had bought the PC version from Falcom directly and used the fan translation patch, then I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of having to use Steam to play the game (see my posts above for my annoyances with the way Steam functions).

Publishers will always try to tell you that if you buy game x then that increases the chances of game y getting released but how much of that is true is really hard to tell - maybe buying Felghana on Steam will help to guarantee TiTs getting translated or maybe it wont - they could still decide not to release it for any number of reasons. This is why I say that you should not feel obliged to buy the game.

Things are looking quite good at the moment however, Ken from Xseed said this in a recent interview with RPGamer:

KB: If this takes off and we feel confident about taking on larger projects where we oversee the localization programming, then The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky would be the next logical step as we already have the English script from the PSP release, just like we did with Ys: The Oath in Felghana. If things work out as we hope they will, perhaps Steam will become the ideal platform on which to try to continue the Trails in the Sky series.

Interview link: http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2012/interviews/xseed2012int.html

Orin GA

Yes, you can still go to offline mode even if you have no internet connection, BUT, Steam must be running and you must have been already logged in. If you boot up steam with no internet connection and try to go to offline mode it will not let you. If you always have steam running in the background it wont be a problem.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They really should have had a couple of days of it being 10% off or something. It's suprising what having that little green discount can do to your sales numbers.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes, you can still go to offline mode even if you have no internet connection, BUT, Steam must be running and you must have been already logged in. If you boot up steam with no internet connection and try to go to offline mode it will not let you. If you always have steam running in the background it wont be a problem.
If you boot up Steam with no internet connection, it should ask you if you want to start it in offline mode. Try shutting down your PC, unplugging the Ethernet cable, starting up, and attempting to launch Steam.

I suspect this is one of the cases that works fine for some people and doesn't work for others.

I will try to remember to doublecheck this tonight in case I am wrong.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member

This is the main problem, I dont leave steam running all the time so if I try to start it with no connection and haven't previously set it to offline mode then I can't play the game.

Guess I'll try leaving Steam running in the background but seeing as I use it only to play the game or browse the store it seems a bit needless to have it running all the time.

EDIT: Orin GA + Blizzard, I just tried disconnecting from the internet and starting Steam (without having previously logged in or set to 'offline') and it did indeed give me the option of starting it in offline mode, so looks like I will be able to play the game even when I am unable to connect. Very relieved to find that this is the case!

Sorry to say though that I would still prefer if I could bypass Steam and Steamworks completely and play the game without having to go through it at all, but I guess I can deal with it for now.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions about Steam, as someone who is still pretty new to it I really appreciate all your answers.

Orin GA

Beating the Bosses on time Attack Hard Mode has instilled in me some confidence. Im doing Nightmare!

Orin GA

This is the main problem, I dont leave steam running all the time so if I try to start it with no connection and haven't previously set it to offline mode then I can't play the game.

Guess I'll try leaving Steam running in the background but seeing as I use it only to play the game or browse the store it seems a bit needless to have it running all the time.

EDIT: Orin GA + Blizzard, I just tried disconnecting from the internet and starting Steam (without having previously logged in or set to 'offline') and it did indeed give me the option of starting it in offline mode, so looks like I will be able to play the game even when I am unable to connect. Very relieved to find that this is the case!

Sorry to say though that I would still prefer if I could bypass Steam and Steamworks completely and play the game without having to go through it at all, but I guess I can deal with it for now.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions about Steam, as someone who is still pretty new to it I really appreciate all your answers.

Oh sweet. I guess they changed it.

Orin GA

Nightmare? I remember getting trapped on one side of the tiles and basically being unable to do anything about it. D:

Yea, when he does that, i think that if you dont find a way to hit him he will keep you there. Im at the dragon now...time to grind and pray.

Orin GA

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

614EF6CF3AFD7AE13475B32CA6088DBC8767AE80

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes, on that note:

FUCK THAT ICE DRAGON. FUCK HIM. THAT FUCKIN PUSSY ASS BITCH HO CUNTRAG SON OF A BITCH.

I was fuckin' PISSED

s5lCw.jpg

FUCK THAT. FUCK THAT SHIT.

But then

ArLMT.jpg

And I was all like

kNNN2.png

That's right, bitch. You're the Charlotte Bobcats of Ys bosses. Go eat 4 dicks.

Point is, it was extremely satisfying.

Volcynika

Hahaha, that's the same result I had for a while when I did Nightmare difficulty on PSP. I'd have him with a sliver of health left and die. But when I won, I promptly saved and took a break, proud of myself.

beril

Just beat the game (on normal). So awesome.

Did anyone else have problems on the final boss because of analog controls. I'd been playing with a 360 controller all the way through, but just couldn't aim my fireballs well enough to hit his tiny week spot in his first phase. Had to switch to keyboard and pretty much relearn the controls to beat him.

Orin GA

Urggghh anyone got any tip/tricks/levelrecs for that metal cow thing in the waterways? Other than attacking its butt.

First, never stop moving

I like using the Terra Bracelet in that fight. If he jumps towards you use it and you should take no damage.

To attack his tail I charge up the Terra Bracelet and line my self up with his tail and release. Use it again right after if you are being chased by missiles or if he threw mines behind his tail, and jump to safety.

When he uses his chain gun attack jump over the bullet spread and use your boost and do as much damage as you can with your sword. If your boost is not ready you can change to the Ventus Bracelt and attack him with that. Just dont catch yourself fumbling around switching bracelets.

God knows how many time that has killed me.

Reknoc

First, never stop moving

I like using the Terra Bracelet in that fight. If he jumps towards you use it and you should take no damage.

To attack his tail I charge up the Terra Bracelet and line my self up with his tail and release. Use it again right after if you are being chased by missiles or if he threw mines behind his tail, and jump to safety.

When he uses his chain gun attack jump over the bullet spread and use your boost and do as much damage as you can with your sword. If your boost is not ready you can change to the Ventus Bracelt and attack him with that. Just dont catch yourself fumbling around switching bracelets.

God knows how many time that has killed me.

Thanks, I seem to be on the right track more or less, just gotta make better use of the Terra Bracelet.

Danny Dudekisser

Killed that damned Hellhound in the castle. While I love this game on any difficulty, Nightmare provides thrills on par with some of my favorite old-school action games. It also demonstrates just how ridiculously well-designed this game is... the controls are ultra-precise and there's always a way to survive battles with enough practice.

Orin GA

2 more nightmare bosses left... Thought Id have to use a spirit necklace on Duran 2, but got through okay.

Danny Dudekisser

Depends how bored I am. Thing is, I wanna start buckling down to study for law finals, so I don't wanna start any new games. So I guess I might as well stick with what I know, right? Nightmare is pretty exhausting, though, so I might actually take a break this time. For realz. If I do it, maybe I could stream my playthrough. I'm probably just going to die a lot. A fuckin' lot.

Anyway, I'm up to dat Chester Cheetah. He's a fuckface. I'm gonna get drunk before I bother attempting to fight him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Inferno is pretty ridiculous. Pretty sure even at level 60 Galbalan will kill you in 3 hits. And it's similarly difficult throughout.

Wyrdwad said they're looking into patching all the difficulties so they are available from the start... except Inferno.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, I really have doubts about doing Inferno, because I feel like it's seriously just going to devolve into level grinding like a motherfucker.

Well anyway, took out Dularn on Nightmare. Now to uh... level!

At least I have that Comedy Button podcast to listen to while I do it (the GFW Radio one.)

And I'm drinking a lot of Kraken + Coke.

Danny Dudekisser

He's gonna esplode and you're gonna die.

Fuck. I think I'm too drunk to legitimately play now. AUGH.

I also have a headache from too much goddamn Ys. Again.

When Origin comes out, I'm probably going to play it for 10 minutes and be like "God, I'm so sick of this derivative bullshit."

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He's gonna esplode and you're gonna die.

Fuck. I think I'm too drunk to legitimately play now. AUGH.

I also have a headache from too much goddamn Ys. Again.

When Origin comes out, I'm probably going to play it for 10 minutes and be like "God, I'm so sick of this derivative bullshit."

Start as Hugo then!

And fortunately(?) you probably have at least a month or two until that point anyway.

Edit: Nah, hell with that, it's not fortunate, it needs to be out already.

NZA36

Neo Member
I know this is stupid, but is there a way to use the "fixed function" keys on an xbox 360 controller? I've been getting up to use the keyboard every time I need to access the menu. LOL

Top Bottom