• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

AAK

Again, how is that any different than what Namco's current practice is? At least with this model, all of the hardcore fans will enjoy rather than only the Japanese/Koreans.

cordy

Banned
Again, how is that any different than what Namco's current practice is? At least with this model, all of the hardcore fans will enjoy rather than only the Japanese/Koreans.

Man...

sfv-logo.png

You basically described the SFV method except with more moneyhatting. How did that work out for SFV? That won't help casual fans at all and it ostracizes them and it hurts the overall brand. That's just not a good look.

AAK

OK, now think about how it must feel to be a hardcore fan to see such a miniscule portion of the fanbase have access to the game while you're completely blueballed from ever playing it. The entire discovery phase of a fighting game which can arguably be one of the most enjoyable time is completely denied for the vast majority of the fanbase.

And the SFV analogy fails because that was a $60 full purchase title. A FTP version of Tekken 7 doesn't even advertise any of those features. If a casual walks in expecting all those modes then it's completely their fault.

And there's plenty of solutions to avoid that scenario as well, for one, you don't have to call it Tekken 7. Give the story mode bluray version the name of Tekken 7. You can call the FTP version Tekken [insert random subtitle] just like Tekken revolution. Tekken on PSP was also called "Tekken Dark Resurrection". It didn't have a 5 in the title. There's plenty of solutions.

cordy

Banned
OK, now think about how it must feel to be a hardcore fan to see such a miniscule portion of the fanbase have access to the game while you're completely blueballed from ever playing it. The entire discovery phase of a fighting game which can arguably be one of the most enjoyable time is completely denied for the vast majority of the fanbase.

And the SFV analogy fails because that was a $60 full purchase title. A FTP version of Tekken 7 doesn't even advertise any of those features. If a casual walks in expecting all those modes then it's completely their fault.

And there's plenty of solutions to avoid that scenario as well, for one, you don't have to call it Tekken 7. Give the story mode bluray version the name of Tekken 7. You can call the FTP version Tekken [insert random subtitle] just like Tekken revolution. Tekken on PSP was also called "Tekken Dark Resurrection". It didn't have a 5 in the title. There's plenty of solutions.

Man, you're looking at this all wrong. There's a disconnect here.

Are you caring more about the hardcore fans who can't access the game, but are still hardcore fans but don't have an arcade or a place they can go to play the game, or are you talking about all Tekken fans as a whole playing it? What I'm talking about is the entire community playing it from hardcore to casual, to everyone. With your method that's not something casual fans would want because they want more than that. They want modes, they want stories, they want that but you straight up introduced a scenario that cut out this group of people. You're blaming casuals right now and and that's not great for Tekken at all. That type of mindset hurts fighters. Just because they're casual fans doesn't mean they don't matter. You're essentially saying they don't matter as long as you get the game. You know for a fact that if they used that model, hardcore fans will play and even with Story Mode and other modes coming down the pipeline, casuals won't jump on because that's exactly what happened with SFV.

Nowhere did I say that it's great Asian arcades have the game and others don't, it just makes sense to me based on Bamco/Tekken Team's model and how these games have been designed and per Harada, without that model there wouldn't have been another Tekken past 5 so really in order for Tekken to survive, that's what you gotta work with. They're not doing it simply to be greedy and gain money, they're doing it for survival. They don't have WB supporting them, they don't have Sony funding them like SFV, they don't have Microsoft or Nintendo helping them, they just gotta work with what they work with. If you want them to ask for a bigger budget from Bamco and not use the arcade model in turn for everyone else to get the game, not have the things casual fans want, that's straight up doing it by choice rather than the arcade model which is what they've had to do to keep the brand alive. It was even said as soon as the console version releases arcade sales will decrease because it's out for consoles.

And the SFV analogy is true because that game cut out casuals and appealed to the hardcore and now SF's rep is hurt by it. You're basically doing the same thing to Tekken with the method you're describing regardless of price. That's not great at all. It's the same thing.

I just don't agree with this at all. We need to stop shitting on casual fans. They do matter.

AAK

LOL dude, my scenario goes something like this:

March 2015: Tekken 7 is released in arcades in Korea/Japan
March 2015: Tekken [INSERT EARLY ACCESS TITLE] is released for PSN/XBL/Steam having the same functionality as T7 Arcade + TR's ticket Pay2Play system
Early 2017: Tekken 7 console w/ storymode & stuff

versus the current shitty situation

March 2015: Tekken 7 in Arcades in Korea/Japan
F off Rest of World
Early 2017: Here's the leftovers in T7 console + story mode to make you happy.

Both situations the casuals will get what they want eventually. Except now the hardcore fans also get to enjoy the game like the Japanese/Koreans did.

So if you think I'm shitting on casuals with what I'm proposing, you better accuse Namco of the same thing.

Sayah

AAK is completely on point here. Namco went from being one of my favorite companies to one of my most hated companies due to how they handled Tekken 7.

The model AAK is suggesting would ensure everyone has equal access to the game in competitive settings while namco uses the revenue made from the initial limited release to create a full fledged console release for the casual fans later.

Instead, they decided to hold and support multiple international tournaments for a game that only one part of the world could play for 2.5 years. Completely shitted on their global hardcore fans.

AAK

Also:

They don't have WB supporting them, they don't have Sony funding them like SFV, they don't have Microsoft or Nintendo helping them, they just gotta work with what they work with. If you want them to ask for a bigger budget from Bamco and not use the arcade model in turn for everyone else to get the game, not have the things casual fans want, that's straight up doing it by choice rather than the arcade model which is what they've had to do to keep the brand alive. It was even said as soon as the console version releases arcade sales will decrease because it's out for consoles.

Where is your proof that WB is giving NRS a bigger budget than how much Namco is funding Tekken's development?

cordy

Banned
LOL dude, my scenario goes something like this:

March 2015: Tekken 7 is released in arcades in Korea/Japan
March 2015: Tekken [INSERT EARLY ACCESS TITLE] is released for PSN/XBL/Steam having the same functionality as T7 Arcade + TR's ticket Pay2Play system
Early 2017: Tekken 7 console w/ storymode & stuff

versus the current shitty situation

March 2015: Tekken 7 in Arcades in Korea/Japan
F off Rest of World
Early 2017: Here's the leftovers in T7 console + story mode to make you happy.

Both situations the casuals will get what they want eventually. Except now the hardcore fans also get to enjoy the game like the Japanese/Koreans did.

So if you think I'm shitting on casuals with what I'm proposing, you better accuse Namco of the same thing.

Bruh...you don't get it.

Casuals won't be jumping on the at that time period, at all. You're willingly shutting them out and making excuses for it simply because you're a hardcore fan who wants the game as you think you having it is going to help it out but the reality is, it'll only help you out but they'll still be without the game and in turn they'll take a shot by not playing it until much later because they're essentially an afterthought in this process. You're making up excuses to shit on these fans and you don't even see that you're doing it. You even said "what they want eventually" like that's helped SFV out and it hasn't yet because it doesn't work. Casual fans are "eventually" to you. That's shitty saying that about them.

I'm sorry man but I refuse to shit on casual fans. They're people like us hardcore fans are. You keep doing that but I'm not doing it. That's elitist.
Also:

Where is your proof that WB is giving NRS a bigger budget than how much Namco is funding Tekken's development?

Do you know how much NRS games sell more than every other fighter in the business? It's Business 101 that the more success you have the more leverage you get to develop your projects. That's in games, music, movies, tv shows, I mean that's common sense unless you think that Tekken sells as much as NRS titles these days.

Judging from what you're saying...you're accusing Bamco/Tekken Team to being lazy and not caring about their fans. Sorry bruh, I heavily disagree with this. You guys shit on these devs and these people who are working their hearts out on this game because you don't get to play it. I don't stick to that mindset.

That's just shitty and honestly, nah man that's not what Tekken needs to thrive.

AAK

Bruh...you don't get it.

Casuals won't be jumping on the at that time period, at all. You're willingly shutting them out and making excuses for it simply because you're a hardcore fan who wants the game. You're making up excuses to shit on these fans and you don't see that you're doing it. You even said "what they want eventually" like that's helped SFV out and it hasn't yet because it doesn't work.

I'm sorry man but I refuse to shit on casual fans. They're people like us hardcore fans are. You keep doing that but I'm not doing it. That's elitist.

Why won't they be jumping? You didn't even provide a single argument as to why someone who only cares about story mode would not buy Tekken 7 when that version of the game comes out.

Explain how providing EVERYONE the piece of software that ONLY Japan/Korea is currently playing is "shitting" on casual fans? By simply providing the game on another platform is all of a sudden shitting on casual fan? You're not giving any explanation where this logic is coming from.

And I agree it's 100% elitist for Namco to keep pulling the arcade operator excuse when the rest of the world doesn't even have access to it.

Do you know how much NRS games sell more than every other fighter in the business? It's Business 101 that the more success you have the more leverage you get to develop your projects. That's in games, music, movies, tv shows, I mean that's common sense unless you think that Tekken sells as much as NRS titles these days.

Judging from what you're saying...you're accusing Bamco/Tekken Team to being lazy and not caring about their fans. Sorry bruh, I heavily disagree with this. You guys shit on these devs and these people who are working their hearts out on this game because you don't get to play it. I don't stick to that mindset.

That's just shitty.

If you're gonna use the sales excuse, Then that's all the more reason Namco should create Tekken the same way WB does Mortal Kombat/Injustice. Tekken 3 sold more than both MKX and Injustice so by that logic Tekken deserves the same treatment of release as those NRS games do if not more so.

And show me one place in my posts in this thread where I claimed the developers were "lazy". I'm criticizing the business model that all those people in suits force down on their empoyees. I appreciate the hard work each designer/artist/programmer puts into the game, and hence why I'm putting my money towards the product in that apprecaition. I'm vehemently against the business decision of making Tekken arcade exclusive. That's all. Stop with the patronizing attitude where we should all feel grateful and such. Like you said this is a business and we are consumers.

The one thing I will say is "lazy" of the game (not the developers) is again, the recycle of the TTT2 customizations/accessories that just look BAD compared to the default FR outfits along with the lack of unique tailspin animations from sideturned and backturned.

DR2K

Banned
AAK is completely on point here. Namco went from being one of my favorite companies to one of my most hated companies due to how they handled Tekken 7.

The model AAK is suggesting would ensure everyone has equal access to the game in competitive settings while namco uses the revenue made from the initial limited release to create a full fledged console release for the casual fans later.

Instead, they decided to hold and support multiple international tournaments for a game that only one part of the world could play for 2.5 years. Completely shitted on their global hardcore fans.

You're asking for a SFV scenario where they release a very limited game that gets content updates. That model doesn't work for the majority of people who will only play the game for a month at best and move on.

Tekken 7 was a big fuck you to the international community. Just as much as SFV was for casuals.

AAK

You're asking for a SFV scenario where they release a very limited game that gets content updates. That model doesn't work for the majority of people who will only play the game for a month at best and move on.

Tekken 7 was a big fuck you to the international community. Just as much as SFV was for casuals.

No, we're not.

SFV was advertised as a full $60 release. We are just asking for the same software Japan/Korea is getting on a platform we can play on. And not to advertise it as a full release and only advertise the content casuals are interested in whenever it's ready.

Man...

sfv-logo.png

You basically described the SFV method except with more moneyhatting. How did that work out for SFV? That won't help casual fans at all and it ostracizes them and it hurts the overall brand. That's just not a good look.
Street fighter v: input delay edition...
Thanks, but while I don't qualify asa FTC hardcore, I'm not a casual but long shot..
Playing with sfv input delay is like asking a wow player with a 1-1.5 s gcd play ffxiv horrible 2+ s gcd..
The game is solid, but at times you feel it not responsive enough.. and that's a mortal crime in a competitive fgc...

JayEH

The difference between SFV and what AAK was proposing is that SFV was marketed as a full game but ended up being an unfinished mess which Capcom hoped people would overlook because of the SF name. They rushed it to meet the end of fiscal year, the whole focus on hardcore thing isn't true because even now the game is missing core features the hardcore FGC would want such as P2 character select, reduced input lag, etc.

AAK wants an arcade equivalent version of the game that is clearly labeled as early access. I would have liked this too since I don't like the arcade model they have either. This does not shit on casual fans because it's not meant for them.

cordy

Banned
Why won't they be jumping? You didn't even provide a single argument as to why someone who only cares about story mode would not buy Tekken 7 when that version of the game comes out.

Explain how providing EVERYONE the piece of software that ONLY Japan/Korea is currently playing is "shitting" on casual fans? By simply providing the game on another platform is all of a sudden shitting on casual fan? You're not giving any explanation where this logic is coming from.

And I agree it's 100% elitist for Namco to keep pulling the arcade operator excuse when the rest of the world doesn't even have access to it.

If you're gonna use the sales excuse, Then that's all the more reason Namco should create Tekken the same way WB does Mortal Kombat/Injustice. Tekken 3 sold more than both MKX and Injustice so by that logic Tekken deserves the same treatment of release as those NRS games do if not more so.

And show me one place in my posts in this thread where I claimed the developers were "lazy". I'm criticizing the business model that all those people in suits force down on their empoyees. I appreciate the hard work each designer/artist/programmer puts into the game, and hence why I'm putting my money towards the product in that apprecaition. I'm vehemently against the practice of making Tekken arcade exclusive. That's all.

The one thing I will say is "lazy" of the game (not the developers) is again, the recycle of the TTT2 customizations/accessories that just look BAD compared to the default FR outfits along with the lack of unique tailspin animations from sideturned and backturned.

Bruh...

You straight up said casual fans will "get what they want eventually" when you described this situation and the fact that you're willingly casting them aside for hardcore fans to play the game is exactly the problem as SFV had and exactly the problem with the "hardcore fans vs casual fighting game fans" debate that's been around for years. The fact you don't even see what you said and you honestly think this is a great idea, because you get to play the game, is all that I need to see. The reality of this situation is that you won't see it for what it is because you're only caring about you playing the game rather than seeing everything as a whole. The key is this, Bamco kept the game in Asian arcades due to the fact that they had to for survival, they had to keep them there to keep the series going. It was forced to keep Tekken alive. You on the other hand are choosing to separate hardcore and casual, it's a choice, it's not forced, you're not saying that because Tekken can't continue, it can continue regardless, you're saying that because you want to play. You act like they're doing it on purpose but you keep forgetting it's that way due to the fact that Tekken was almost done for. That's shitty. Casual. Fans. Do. Matter. They. Don't. Need. To. Get. A. Story. Mode. Later. On. Like. SFV. That. Didn't. Help. That. Game. It. Won't. Help. Tekken. When you actually explain how that helps a fighter, to give casuals what they want later on and suddenly the series is much better on an unheard of level? We can talk. Until then, you're speaking on some things that only benefit a certain group by choice.

T3 sold more than the others due to, get this, due to how big the full package was, the extra bells and whistles, the things the game came with that casuals fans loved on day 1. It's not for the hardcore fans, like yourself, who played the game early, it's for everything as a whole. The reason the NRS games sell so much is the content that comes day 1 and not with some "lay-away" mindset you think they need to do with these games. You straight up brought up the SFV "Cinematic Story Mode later on for the casuals" method as a positive. Come on bruh, don't you see what you're doing right now? You can keep saying this stuff, make all the comments you want but you just don't see what you're saying. Like, you really, really don't see you're treating casual fans as lesser by straight choice rather than treating them as much as hardcore fans as well as can be.

I'm officially done with you bruh. God bless you, good day but nah, I'm not sticking to that "casuals are shit they'll get it later" mindset you're pushing. If you got anything else to say, I'm sorry but I'm done talking about this.

Peace be to you.

AAK

It's fine if you don't want to listen to me anymore cordy, but your argument falls apart the second you think I'm the one who's choosing to separate the hardcores from the casual.

Namco already did that with the Arcade business model.

The casual fans are a giant chunk of your sales, street fighter 5 didn't sell because the content wasn't there for them. Even when the story mode was added the hype was killed by that point, the best thing that could have happened to street fighter was that recent beta.

You only have 1 chance to launch a game, you can fix it and have the content later and a community will stay on but the masses need a solid launch.

JayEH

Anyway...

I was watching the story mode and I noticed that everyone is speaking different languages again but still understand each other lol. I was kinda hoping they would do the Tekken 4 Hwoarang ending thing where they got the actors to speak english even if it's broken. I guess it's too late to do that now though because of the series' history but it could be neat. I think it would be interesting to make it so that maybe even some of the characters couldn't communicate because of the language barrier. I appreciate them wanting to be authentic with everyone speaking their native language but I think it defeats the point when they just talk to each in different languages when they interact.

Rajang

The casual fans are a giant chunk of your sales, street fighter 5 didn't sell because the content wasn't there for them. Even when the story mode was added the hype was killed by that point, the best thing that could have happened to street fighter was that recent beta.

You only have 1 chance to launch a game, you can fix it and have the content later and a community will stay on but the masses need a solid launch.

Exactly.

Two Words

The reason they don't release it on console for so long is because they want to milk the arcades. Once it's available on consoles, the arcades won't get as much traffic for the game.

AAK

The reason they don't release it on console for so long is because they want to milk the arcades. Once it's available on consoles, the arcades won't get as much traffic for the game.

Where is your proof of that? I would believe you if we were in 2005 era where arcades were still relevant in North America and Europe. However, living in a time where arcades only exist and Korea + Japan where console sales are in such paltry amounts I sincerely doubt your claim.

And for argument's sake, in the unlikely scenario what you say is true. They can make the console early access version region locked for Europe/NA/etc.

EDIT: Also, GGXrd Rev 2 releasing near simultaneously on Consoles/PC with arcade also shows otherwise.

The arcades are their priority because that is where Tekken makes most of its money.

And they can still make that money while catering to North American/European/Middle Eastern/Latin American fans simultaneously.

Bruh...

You straight up said casual fans will "get what they want eventually" when you described this situation and the fact that you're willingly casting them aside for hardcore fans to play the game is exactly the problem as SFV had and exactly the problem with the "hardcore fans vs casual fighting game fans" debate that's been around for years. The fact you don't even see what you said and you honestly think this is a great idea, because you get to play the game, is all that I need to see. The reality of this situation is that you won't see it for what it is because you're only caring about you playing the game rather than seeing everything as a whole. The key is this, Bamco kept the game in Asian arcades due to the fact that they had to for survival, they had to keep them there to keep the series going. It was forced to keep Tekken alive. You on the other hand are choosing to separate hardcore and casual, it's a choice, it's not forced, you're not saying that because Tekken can't continue, it can continue regardless, you're saying that because you want to play. You act like they're doing it on purpose but you keep forgetting it's that way due to the fact that Tekken was almost done for. That's shitty. Casual. Fans. Do. Matter. They. Don't. Need. To. Get. A. Story. Mode. Later. On. Like. SFV. That. Didn't. Help. That. Game. It. Won't. Help. Tekken. When you actually explain how that helps a fighter, to give casuals what they want later on and suddenly the series is much better on an unheard of level? We can talk. Until then, you're speaking on some things that only benefit a certain group by choice.

T3 sold more than the others due to, get this, due to how big the full package was, the extra bells and whistles, the things the game came with that casuals fans loved on day 1. It's not for the hardcore fans, like yourself, who played the game early, it's for everything as a whole. The reason the NRS games sell so much is the content that comes day 1 and not with some "lay-away" mindset you think they need to do with these games. You straight up brought up the SFV "Cinematic Story Mode later on for the casuals" method as a positive. Come on bruh, don't you see what you're doing right now? You can keep saying this stuff, make all the comments you want but you just don't see what you're saying. Like, you really, really don't see you're treating casual fans as lesser by straight choice rather than treating them as much as hardcore fans as well as can be.

I'm officially done with you bruh. God bless you, good day but nah, I'm not sticking to that "casuals are shit they'll get it later" mindset you're pushing. If you got anything else to say, I'm sorry but I'm done talking about this.

Peace be to you.

You're missing one thing, Namco is already doing that with the "arcades-first-consoles-later" model, except they're limiting the hardcore support to Japan, Korea and maybe some East Asian markets that can still profit from arcades.

Where is your proof of that? I would believe you if we were in 2005 era where arcades were still relevant in North America and Europe. However, living in a time where arcades only exist and Korea + Japan where console sales are in such paltry amounts I sincerely doubt your claim.

And for argument's sake, in the unlikely scenario what you say is true. They can make the console early access version region locked for Europe/NA/etc.

EDIT: Also, GGXrd Rev 2 releasing near simultaneously on Consoles/PC with arcade also shows otherwise.

And they can still make that money while catering to North American/European/Middle Eastern/Latin American fans simultaneously.

I remember Murray stating multiple times that about half of Tekken profit comes from the arcade releases, he said that on an event that was streamed somewhere but I'm not sure which one was it.

Jer

Are you saying you don't think Tekken Team was working hard enough to include everything in the game that they could? Are you saying they got lazy with this game?

I'm not saying they were lazy, I'm just saying their development priorities don't match what I was hoping for. It's more important to me that content I've enjoyed in the series for the last 20 years isn't missing, and if that means there's slightly less new content, I'm okay with that. Missing legacy content has always been a huge pet peeve of mine. Just my opinion, the majority may very well disagree. I do think they've done a better job striking that balance in the past, with both T5 and TTT2.

I absolutely love AAK's idea for a "home arcade", it's really frustrating being years behind at launch. It wouldn't feel like SF5 at all if the initial download was free.

cordy

Banned
I'm not saying they were lazy, I'm just saying their development priorities don't match what I was hoping for. It's more important to me that content I've enjoyed in the series for the last 20 years isn't missing, and if that means there's slightly less new content, I'm okay with that. Missing legacy content has always been a huge pet peeve of mine. Just my opinion, the majority may very well disagree. I do think they've done a better job striking that balance in the past, with both T5 and TTT2.

I see. So you'd rather have more legacy content than newer content. I mean that's you and everyone has their own opinion.

Demoskinos

This is the biggest thing right here. You get one shot to get the mindshare of people. The game industry is a incredibly competitive business. The next big thing is always around the corner. A real good way to lose sales and make Tekken 7 a huge financial disaster in the west is to split up releases. Its not going to work because by the time the "complete" version came around everyone would have already moved on to the next big thing.

Onemic

SFV definitely was not catered to hardcore first and foremost and casuals second. It catered to no one. Hardcore and casuals alike disliked the omissions from the game(i.e. from a hardcore perspective: player lobbies, bad servers, lack of saved training mode options, no FFA lobbies, only 1p rematch, lack of RQ penalties, no store at launch, etc.)

The difference is that casuals got burned harder, because hardcore players can still at the very least make due with the basic VS modes. That's all.

AAK

I remember Murray stating multiple times that about half of Tekken profit comes from the arcade releases, he said that on an event that was streamed somewhere but I'm not sure which one was it.

I'm not contesting how much money the arcade business makes (Although I'm a little skeptical). I'm contesting the notion that if there was a Pay2play version on consoles the Korean/Japanese arcade scene would die down.

AAK's model has one major flaw.

Developing ~3 different ports of the title in what was once a single machine environment where they ironed out the kinks has all sorts of logistical issues that are being ignored here.

You can't blame NB for the death of the arcade scene outside of Asia. They're just doing what they normally do, nothing worse. So going from "most favorite to least favorite developer" in that regard just isn't fair.

I mean, vanilla T7 wasn't anything to write home about, imagine EVERYONE gaining access to that and judging before the updates. PR and commercial disaster.

AAK

I can name 100's of other inconveniences for Namco with a simultaneous release. But there are people willing to pay for it. The millions of downloads of Tekken Revolution can attest to that. And if 3 different marketplaces is too much for Namco to handle, then make it an exclusive to one platform. It wouldn't be the first time for the series.

It's at least one solution over casting 85% of their fanbase away from the discovery phase of the game.

I can name 100's of other inconveniences for Namco with a simultaneous release. But there are people willing to pay for it. The millions of downloads of Tekken Revolution can attest to that. And if 3 different marketplaces is too much for Namco to handle, then make it an exclusive to one platform. It wouldn't be the first time for the series.

It's at least one solution over casting 85% of their fanbase away from the discovery phase of the game.

Making it console exclusive is asking for someone in your shoes but with the other console to complain.

I downloaded TR, tried it, said "neh" and deleted it. Does that still count as a plus because it added to the number of downloads tally?

I like my discovery phase. Reading all about it, hopefully looking forward to it and then having it be brand new when it finally releases. Ideally, it wouldn't take this long, but stepping back I can see why with the new engine and new consoles to deal with among other things.

Alternatively, I can download a freebie, try it out. Maybe I like it, maybe I don't and then.... get excited to pay for a fuller release of a game I already have for free?

Edit: I want Namco to put in effort. T7 was sloppy at the start. What you're asking for is kind of like more of that. "Early access" just so you could be at the front of the line, when I'm hoping they go back to the drawing board and revamp everything and make the initial reveal and release something special. And hopefully shave off arcade to console development time. Putting in that effort and porting it to consoles with networking and pricing schemes is asking for too much and it dilutes it all. Then the team sort of lacks motivation to develop SP modes because maybe not enough people are playing or buying tickets anymore etc.

Jer

I see. So you'd rather have more legacy content than newer content. I mean that's you and everyone has their own opinion.

Yeah and I may well be in the minority. I would guess agreeing with me would be highly correlated with whether your main was cut.

Still, the frustration is in the past with Tekken, you haven't had to choose new or legacy content, you've gotten both. And some of omissions are frustrating because they seem like they'd be so easy to include. Like, is team battle really so programming intensive that they'd have to make a big sacrifice to find time to develop it?

SkylineRKR

The reason the wait is so long is because Namco fucked up the vanilla versions of 6 and 7.

There is in fact, just a year of waiting between the arcade and home versions. This was also the case with Tekken 3, 4 etc. Only Tekken 5 was fast but dunno the idea behind that one.

I would've liked to see a simultanously Bloodline Rebellion release for Arcade and console as the game was still in demand by then. I felt that when the game came out, not many still cared and the port was sloppy as well. Even less consumers cared about TTT2. It was rather late into a generation, unusual for this franchise.

But yes, I have zero access to arcades for the last 5+ years so I've never played T7 either. Its a 2 year old game when I play it. I played 3 religiously in the Arcade and didn't mind the wait as much. Its frustrating but, yeah.

solomon

Where do I even start in learning Tekken, does the game have a community website players frequent or a good youtube channel with breakdowns?

I think there's a difference between being disappointed and upset by it. I can understand how some can be disappointed, definitely. With that said there's some great enhancements that don't get enough attention. It's like I see more people upset than highlight the good things they've seen and also at the same time it depends how you look at it. Gameplay-wise, with the new Rage Arts, Drives and Power Crushes, slow-mo and tailspin instead of Bound, that's an evolution that makes sense to me. If people don't like it that's ok, it's just not the same ol gameplay as we saw last gen which was needed. You also have an improved Story Mode over Scenario, you've also got Akuma which is pretty interesting. Characters finally have new costumes and we're finally getting down to the nitty gritty storyline-wise. We see Nina and Steve finally having character development, Law/Feng and the whole Mishima Saga. With the gameplay and storylines, individual characters that do appear I see a noticeable improvement which is something that's been lacking.

But there are negatives such as certain classics missing, the lack of some modes and then the music and stages. With Jukebox I can make due with the music, stages? It depends. Either way what I'm saying is with the amount of time they've had, what they've put time into and all the comments towards development, one thing that sticks out to me is something would have to be hit in order to include everything people want. If you want more modes, something has to be taken out. Better stages and music? That's more understandable but the extra modes, characters, nah we're going to have Story Mode take a hit or the graphics or just something in general.

Overall, there's no possible way to include all of that plus the classic characters, extra modes and everything else people want. Something has to be a trade off. I'm not sure what that trade off would be but either way it would disappoint a good amount of people either way you cut it.

I understand and sympathize with the compromises made due to financial constraints, but I don't think they made the right tradeoffs. Who was asking for a deep dive into the Tekken narrative with a crazy Story Mode? I always look forward to the little cutscenes at the end, sure. But having a story-heavy game at the expense of Team Battle and Survival? Nah dude. Team Battle is the mode I play the most in every Tekken game outside of network play. When my friends and I play Tekken on the couch, that's always the mode we play. To take it out after so many years is...I just don't understand that decision.

And the Tournament mode? I mean it's impressive, but it's focused on a niche of hardcore users. Was putting resources into that a sound choice for a broad audience appeal? It's hard to tell from the outside of course how much each feature took in terms of time and resources, but I imagine Tournament mode was not a small feature to implement. While it's important for the hardcore scene to be vibrant, there may be too much focus on that audience in 7. I guess we'll have to see how the sales play out.

You keep talking about "the casuals" in follow-up posts, and I absolutely agree with you that they need to be catered to for fighters to exist, but I don't see much left in Tekken 7 that caters to casuals. Ball and Bowl are absolutely the kind of silly party modes that casuals like. I don't think most average players are going to care much about an in-depth Story Mode that's full of convoluted plotlines and silly cardboard characters. Even I, who has played since Tekken 1, am struggling to care. Soul Calibur with its Edge Master / Conquest mode was a much better platform for storytelling.

cordy

Banned
Yeah and I may well be in the minority. I would guess agreeing with me would be highly correlated with whether your main was cut.

Still, the frustration is in the past with Tekken, you haven't had to choose new or legacy content, you've gotten both. And some of omissions are frustrating because they seem like they'd be so easy to include. Like, is team battle really so programming intensive that they'd have to make a big sacrifice to find time to develop it?

I don't even know but I do know Harada said that the console version would come with "everything you'd expect out of a console Tekken" and he said it a few times. Who knows why they're missing. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a higher up decision as Tekken Team's been losing sleep even pushing the game back to pack in as much content as possible.

I understand and sympathize with the compromises made due to financial constraints, but I don't think they made the right tradeoffs. Who was asking for a deep dive into the Tekken narrative with a crazy Story Mode? I always look forward to the little cutscenes at the end, sure. But having a story-heavy game at the expense of Team Battle and Survival? Nah dude. Team Battle is the mode I play the most in every Tekken game outside of network play. When my friends and I play Tekken on the couch, that's always the mode we play. To take it out after so many years is...I just don't understand that decision.

And the Tournament mode? I mean it's impressive, but it's focused on a niche of hardcore users. Was putting resources into that a sound choice for a broad audience appeal? It's hard to tell from the outside of course how much each feature took in terms of time and resources, but I imagine Tournament mode was not a small feature to implement. While it's important for the hardcore scene to be vibrant, there may be too much focus on that audience in 7. I guess we'll have to see how the sales play out.

You keep talking about "the casuals" in follow-up posts, and I absolutely agree with you that they need to be catered to for fighters to exist, but I don't see much left in Tekken 7 that caters to casuals. Ball and Bowl are absolutely the kind of silly party modes that casuals like. I don't think most average players are going to care much about an in-depth Story Mode that's full of convoluted plotlines and silly cardboard characters. Even I, who has played since Tekken 1, am struggling to care. Soul Calibur with its Edge Master / Conquest mode was a much better platform for storytelling.

Man, you'd be surprised. I see more talk about Tekken's story than Team Battle and Survival, it's story is one of the most talked about areas. That character trailer that released today. On multiple forums people were hyped at Nina/Steve finally having more interaction in Story Mode. Besides that, I'm pretty sure more people as a whole care more about Story Mode than Survival and Team Battle. They're not bad modes and all but these days those modes would go behind a Story Mode especially given Tekken's actually got a story. Ono for example, during his early SFV announcement press runs he said he was bombarded the most about SFV having a story mode which is why he put it in the game. People really do care about it. I feel you but that's just where they're headed. Me personally? I stick in Arcade and Ghost Battle most times. I can get done with story but if I've got Arcade and Treasure I'll be good.

Yeah I think Tournament Mode is something strictly for the hardcore online crowd. I don't think I'll enjoy that personally, as I'm not that type of player.

I really think that the Story Mode and Arcade will be great enough for most casuals. Sure, it won't be as great as having a Force, Ball, Team Battle and Survival in "variety" but it's at least got something they can latch onto. They're giving less modes but it's got an increase in story. Given what they'll do when they play? It'll depend on the person. Once thing I've noticed is, when you ask a casual if they beat a fighting game they always give the same answer, "I beat Arcade" and they've got that. With casuals of all genres these days though, there's always the campaign aspect. You give them that and most of them are good. In either case, sure it would be great if those extra modes are in but I think this way they'll at least get a better response had these modes not be in and the previous ones were in instead. We'll see how it turns out. We'll also see what's going on.

One thing I noticed is Harada mentioned, in his press run for the console version, a few times he mentioned the console version will have "everything you expect in a console Tekken title" and yet here we are with a few missing modes. He even laughed at the thought of it missing some stuff and they even pushed the game back due to they wanted to ship off a "complete game" so I personally think something happened. Either they put as much in as they could or, for some reason, some modes were left out due to some circumstances. I'm not sure. Hopefully we find out. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Bamco decision. We still don't know what that DLC mode is.

And yeah I think Edge Master was great. Hell, World Tour Mode was great in A3.

Soltype

Where do I even start in learning Tekken, does the game have a community a website players frequent or a good youtube channel with breakdowns?

I stopped playing Tekken seriously a while back, but when I did Tekken Zaibatsu was the biggest site for Tekken information.

Where do I even start in learning Tekken, does the game have a community a website players frequent or a good youtube channel with breakdowns?

The Tekken 7 OT is going to have tons of people willing to give advice or be your training partner. Should have links to guides and stuff too. Probably the best place to check on release.

cordy

Banned
The reason the wait is so long is because Namco fucked up the vanilla versions of 6 and 7.

There is in fact, just a year of waiting between the arcade and home versions. This was also the case with Tekken 3, 4 etc. Only Tekken 5 was fast but dunno the idea behind that one.

T5 had a lot of backlash and was horribly balanced. Casuals loved it, the console players loved it but man the community saw it rushed out badly and it wasn't received well from that pov. Arcade owners were pissed off that it released so soon. Think of it as "opposite" day. DR came out for a reason. The release was so bad that's why DR was never released on PS2 like it was scheduled to and instead went to PSP and PS3 later on. That's what happens when you release games too early.

MrCarter

Man...

sfv-logo.png

Money hatting? SFV was developed with Sony's help and released on both PS4 and PC (with crossplay, something which Tekken doesn't have along with other key modes), it was not "money hatted" in any shape or form. The reason why SFV had a bad rep at the start was because it didn't have the enough content for casuals, not because it was aimed at the hardcore fans - it could have easily done both. Namco, on the other hand, alienated half of their audience by not releasing a title for years because of thier Arcade scene.

Damn I am a causal fan, haven't played Tekken since Tekken 3 which is a masterpiece. I'm more a VF guy but we know what happened there. So this Tekken looks to have tons of content, looks fun, so I figured I give it a shot. I am choosing this over injustice cause it's Tekken, one of the greatest fighters ever. But this thread, holy crap, it's like this game is going to be utter garbage. Now I wonder if I should just get injustice.

AAK

Making it console exclusive is asking for someone in your shoes but with the other console to complain.

You can't satisfy everyone but there needs to be at least one avenue available to the rest of the world to play the game rather than making them beholden to travel to Japan/Korea/Wizard Worlds.

I downloaded TR, tried it, said "neh" and deleted it. Does that still count as a plus because it added to the number of downloads tally?

I like my discovery phase. Reading all about it, hopefully looking forward to it and then having it be brand new when it finally releases. Ideally, it wouldn't take this long, but stepping back I can see why with the new engine and new consoles to deal with among other things.

Alternatively, I can download a freebie, try it out. Maybe I like it, maybe I don't and then.... get excited to pay for a fuller release of a game I already have for free?

That's no different from the experience people in Japan/Korea have with the game. I don't see anything wrong with opening that option to markets in the rest of the world.

Edit: I want Namco to put in effort. T7 was sloppy at the start. What you're asking for is kind of like more of that. "Early access" just so you could be at the front of the line, when I'm hoping they go back to the drawing board and revamp everything and make the initial reveal and release something special. And hopefully shave off arcade to console development time. Putting in that effort and porting it to consoles with networking and pricing schemes is asking for too much and it dilutes it all. Then the team sort of lacks motivation to develop SP modes because maybe not enough people are playing or buying tickets anymore etc.

What you described is the fairy tale best case scenario. But I think it's a pipe dream at this point to expect the series to revamp itself like T3/T4. If it wasn't going to happen with this game following a Tag title I've lost any hope for that to happen in the future. The majority of the competitive/Arcade fanbase seem to want this iterative approach and I suppose Namco is content.

Top Bottom