• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory teases new project, unveiling soon

Going out on a limb:

boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

No. Nooooooooo.

Ninja Theory don't you dare ruin the badass Hiryu,

Mvc2-strider-hiryu.jpg

Sephzilla

Didn't his studio just throw some "old Dante" homosexual jokes at people/DMC fans some days ago?

I don't think he or his studio will ever learn anything.

The Ninja Theory Defense Force is going to come down upon you bringing that up. (Regardless of whether or not it was an innocent little joke, I thought it was poor taste)

I generally like Ninja Theory outside of DmC, I just think they're a talented studio who has bad leadership at the higher levels.

V_Arnold

I am looking forward to whatever they will unveil. Enslaved was better than HS, and DmC was way better than Enslaved - they are a good studio now. I just hope that they do not suddenly decide to forget what they have learnt with DmC.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Good for them

Just hope it's not a new entry in a franchise I care about

ezekial45

Banned
Didn't his studio just throw some "old Dante" homosexual jokes at people/DMC fans some days ago?

I don't think he or his studio will ever learn anything.

I was at the GDC panel where they showed images with "some "old Dante" homosexual jokes at people/DMC fans". They were nothing of the sort, it was a joke in relation to Capcom asking them to make DmC like a western movie. But as I've come to learn over the course of this game's development, bitter fans like to fabricate stories to make NT look bad.

And evidently you're one of those people.

Sephzilla

I was at the GDC panel where they showed images with "some "old Dante" homosexual jokes at people/DMC fans". They were nothing of the sort, it was a joke in relation to Capcom asking them to make DmC like a western movie. But as I've come to learn over the course of this game's development, bitter fans like to make up stories to make NT look bad.

And evidently you're one of those people.

And then die hard Ninja Theory defenders like to glance over the fact that out of all of the thousands western film images they pulled from they decided to put the old version of the character into an image featuring two gay cowboys from a film that barely even qualifies as a western in the first place.

I'll admit that even my knee-jerk reaction to it was a bit harsher than it should have been. But really, you have to be a pretty blind follower to not see the allusion they were going at there.

Nothing about DmC displays they have an especially firm grasp on (intentional) humor.

Fight Club has western themes now?

What the hell has "western themes" got to do with anything? It was a slideshow. Dante was overlaid on a still of Brokeback Mountain and he was overlaid on a still of Fight Club, the latter of which was glossed by certain DMC fans in favour of accusing NT of defaming the character because he appeared in an image with two gay cowboys. It fucking pathetic to even make that connection. Nothing more than clutching at straws in yet another misguided attempt to bitch about NT some more.

ezekial45

Banned
And then die hard Ninja Theory defenders like to glance over the fact that out of all of the western film images they pulled from they decided to put the old version of the character into an image featuring two gay cowboys from a film that barely even qualifies as a western in the first place.

I'll admit that even my knee-jerk reaction to it was a bit harsher than it should have been. But really, you have to be a pretty blind follower to not see the allusion they were going at there.

So what if they were? It was just joke, it was harmless, and people in the audience got a laugh out of it.

Besides, homosexual undertones are something certain fans of this series are quite familiar with;
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10500000/devil-may-cry-4-devil-may-cry-4-10531156-457-335.jpg
http://s4.zerochan.net/Devil.May.Cry.full.915995.jpg

Those are just off of quick google searches for DMC fan art. Gay connotations are nothing new to this series' fans, and you trying to get on NT's case for making a slight joke (that was more in relation to something else), just shows that you're looking for something to hate.

So cut it out.

Dueck

Banned
No. I just think him opening his mouth is bad for the company in the same way Peter Molyneux opening his mouth was bad for Fable.

This times infinity. When you are in a certain position, you can't say whatever you want without repercussions. Rub people the wrong way publicly, and you have to deal with the fallout. In their case, thinking you're an arrogant blowhard.

Capcom didn't learn from Bionic Commando. Fair enough. If they don't learn from DmC, they deserve whatever fate they get (should this announcement involve them).

sleepykyo

Capcom can't be that dumb to make a DmC 2....or are they?

Nirolak made a pretty compelling case for it. Technically it was DMC5, but DmC is DMC5 regardless of naming conventions until Capcom actually demonstrates there are two Devil May Cry lines.

Look at this from Capcom's perspective:

1.) DmC reviewed better than DMC4.

2.) Dragon's Dogma is becoming a series, meaning the old DMC team is busy.

3.) Capcom is infatuated with Ninja Theory, even on the Japanese side.

4.) This financial statement makes it sound like they've decided to go with their selected external developer on an ongoing basis.

5.) If the reviews are good and Capcom likes working with them, they have a high chance of assuming the problem with the game sales wise was the setting/reboot, so putting Ninja Theory on a mainline game might seem like the most logical choice to them.

Naming conventions aside. NT is the DMC team assuming DMC still exists.

Nah.

They gave [NT] Street Fighter V.

The feel of competitive gaming.

DavidCarusoFU.gif

Globox_82

Banned
wasn't one of NT devs in that sony event vid where devs gave their opinion on PS4. That was odd. And that rumor about another PS4 event? Maybe something there

Sephzilla

What the hell has "western themes" got to do with anything? It was a slideshow. Dante was overlaid on a still of Brokeback Mountain and he was overlaid on a still of Fight Club, the latter of which was glossed by certain DMC fans in favour of accusing NT of defaming the character because he appeared in an image with two gay cowboys. It fucking pathetic to even make that connection.

Just scroll up and see what I said before. Out of all of the western images they decided to choose they decided to put the old version of Dante, a character they had previously ripped on, into an image featuring two gay cowboys. How do you not see the pretty basic allusion that's going on there?

The Fight Club image doesn't get mentioned because there's nothing immediately offensive about it and there's no up front "lol gay people" joke in it.

So what if they were? It was just joke, it was harmless, and people in the audience got a laugh out of it.

Besides, homosexual undertones are something certain fans of this series are quite familiar with;
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10500000/devil-may-cry-4-devil-may-cry-4-10531156-457-335.jpg
http://s4.zerochan.net/Devil.May.Cry.full.915995.jpg

Those are just off of quick google searches for DMC fan art. Gay connotations are nothing new to this series' fans, and you trying to get on NT's case for making a slight joke (that was more in relation to something else), just shows that you're looking for something to hate.

So cut it out.

Congratulations, you've discovered you can find gay art of pretty much anything on the internet.

Next up on our Internet 101: Rule 34

Dahbomb

Why the fuck do people think this is DmC2? Not even COD/AC announces a sequel 2 months after the previous game's release.

If NT is making DMC5 I will go fucking Terminator mode.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
it would be cool to see a this-gen rendering of some cool live action actors.
Giorgio+Armani+Milan+Fashion+Week+Menswear+jy1ymRhDOJXl.jpg

.[/QUOTE]

Takeshi Kaneshiro look very weird in that photo.

[quote="Dahbomb, post: 52818648"]Why the fuck do people think this is DmC2? Not even COD/AC announces a sequel 2 months after the previous game's release.[/QUOTE]

and going sales wise DmC2 will not happen anytime soon,Capcom wanted GOW sales numbers but didn't get them,so the next DMC will most likely be in-house developed DMC5 with Panta Rhei engine.

Korigama

What the hell has "western themes" got to do with anything? It was a slideshow. Dante was overlaid on a still of Brokeback Mountain and he was overlaid on a still of Fight Club, the latter of which was glossed by certain DMC fans in favour of accusing NT of defaming the character because he appeared in an image with two gay cowboys. It fucking pathetic to even make that connection. Nothing more than clutching at straws in yet another misguided attempt to bitch about NT some more.
And no one would have made that connection if they didn't pick a movie about a relationship between gay cowboys over so many other things that qualified as westerns. Even if they honestly meant nothing by it, few were going to give them the benefit of the doubt after taking shots at the old series on plenty of other occasions.
DmC was incredible. So many haters never even bought it out of spite. So sad.
Why should people buy things they don't want? Just because it has the name of a franchise they like on it doesn't obligate them to purchase it.

Sephzilla

Good job on missing, and/or ignoring my point.

Your point was that DMC fans have drawn gay art of things. Just like there's most likely gay art of Mario, Half Life, and Mickey Mouse. Your logic is that since some people have done that, it should be widely accepted. You're not understanding that there's a huge gap between some fans doing some fan-art for their DeviantArt page and the developers of a franchise putting "their" title character into an image that is an allusion to a gay joke in an official presentation.

Dahbomb

Who gives a shit if Dante is gay or not?

The Dante that NT created didn't win over many hearts and isn't deep, interesting or even a fun character. They can make as many pot shots at OG Dante as they want, no ones gives a crap about their take on Dante.

Just scroll up and see what I said before. Out of all of the western images they decided to choose they decided to put the old version of Dante, a character they had previously ripped on, into an image featuring two gay cowboys. How do you not see the pretty basic allusion that's going on there?

The Fight Club image doesn't get mentioned because there's nothing immediately offensive about it and there's no up front "lol gay people" joke in it.

There's nothing offensive about the Brokeback Mountain image given the context. If that was the only slide, then sure, it would look suspect. But there was also a slide where he was featured in what many consider to be one of the coolest, provocative films ever made. But hey, let's just totally ignore that and focus on the image of Dante standing side by side with two gay cowboys and all the 'terrible things' that alludes to.

Who gives a shit if Dante is gay or not?

Exactly. Who gives a fuck. Brokeback Mountain is a good film.

ezekial45

Banned
Your point was that DMC fans have drawn gay art of things. Just like there's most likely gay art of Mario, Half Life, and Mickey Mouse. There's a huge gap between some fans doing some fan-art for their DeviantArt page and the developers of a franchise putting "their" title character into an image that is an allusion to a gay joke in an official presentation.

Dude, you're just splitting hairs here. You brought up issue with the gay subtext in that image, and now you're saying that it's fine for fans to do it, but the developers should be held to a higher standard. Even if it was intended as a harmless joke. They have just a right to mention it as much as the fans do.

I'm not continuing this discussion, it's ridiculous.

Sephzilla

There's nothing offensive about the Brokeback Mountain image given the context. If that was the only slide, then sure, it would look suspect. But there was also a slide where he was featured in what many consider to be one of the coolest, provocative films ever made. But hey, let's just totally ignore that and focus on the image of Dante standing side by side with two gay cowboys and all the 'terrible things' that alludes to.

Like I said, out of all of the images they chose for a western movie they choose a movie that's barely a western and is known for something completely different. I don't know about you but most people think of John Wayne, or Tombstone, or Clint Eastwood when thinking about western films. And the character they shopped into there is a version of the character the company has also taken a few jabs at in the past.

It's a stupid image from a silly powerpoint, but I just think it was a joke in poor taste. What I don't like is that stupid Brokeback Mountain image overshadowed the real thing worth talking about during that presentation - which was most of the other Dante concepts were awful.

Dude, you're just splitting hairs here. You brought up issue with the gay subtext in that image, and now you're saying that it's fine for fans to do it, but the developers should be held to a higher standard. Even if it was intended as a harmless joke. They have just a right to mention it as much as the fans do.

I'm not continuing this discussion, it's ridiculous.

If you cant see the difference between a small group of people who do simple fanart and professional game developers at an official event then yeah, this conversation really isn't worth continuing with you.

Top Bottom