• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Laplasakos

Credits are just titles assigned to roles people do on a game. There is no real industry standardization that can be accurately applied across everything to determine seniority or whatever. In this case it's pretty straightforward, the project/development leader is the person in-charge of managing the development team and overseeing the project progress. I would say it's more of a junior producer role than a director role.

Thank you, now it's more clear to me. The fact that he worked on al FFXIII titles and the fact that Kitase compared the FFXIII trilogy to the FFVIIR project (multiple parts) makes me hopeful for the game. Too bad though that this means we won't see it at E3...

duckroll

Naoki Hamaguchi is from Business Division 1, so I would guess it's being made by the Final Fantasy XIII people.

I wonder how much resources they have left though. Would explain further why Nomura commented that they really need to staff up for HD development. I'm also assuming now that Mobius is dead and will no longer get substantial updates in the future since I don't think they will spare valuable resources on a failed mobile title over an upcoming FFVII remake.

FinalAres

They wouldn't be able to make Business Division 2's next game if Business Division 2 actually let them go.

I imagine that's part of why they're making DLC. It helps keep staff until the next project is ready to enter full production without having to lose them to the Final Fantasy VII Remake for a decade.
Well they won't be letting all the staff go, but we know that a large part of the workforce shifts between BD2 and BD1 depending on prioroties.

BD1 will likely keep enough staff to either make a smaller scale project, or just enough to go through conception and scenario design, and then bring in more people when the game goes in to full production.

Square needs to get over their issue of promoting people to roles outside of their element. They keep taking people who are clearly wonderful at a more simple, contained job and forcing them into a larger swath of power and it rarely works out.

The closest thing they have to a golden age Sakaguchi is probably Naoki Yoshida in terms of getting shit done and done right but it's still too soon for him to transition off of the XIV team at all.

World of Final Fantasy turned out pretty well. Perhaps Hiroki Chiba has potential.

I mean, I don't play Final Fantasy games or most Square Enix games (Outside of the spectacular NieR: Automata & very good TWEWY), so admittedly all I really follow is the announcements & releases of their big titles, but....

Why can Square Enix seemingly not schedule or manage a project for shit?

I followed the development of a few of their games now, and they're always announcing things SUPER early, not knowing what they're doing with them, changing project leads & focuses, and delaying the game until it can't possibly still meet expectations...

So why do they do it? Can the company seriously stay afloat eating those development costs for so long while not putting out any big titles?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder how much resources they have left though. Would explain further why Nomura commented that they really need to staff up for HD development. I'm also assuming now that Mobius is dead and will no longer get substantial updates in the future since I don't think they will spare valuable resources on a failed mobile title over an upcoming FFVII remake.

Well, the video in which this was mentioned was a 3 hour livestream dedicated to Mobius, along with Naoki Hamaguchi saying he would still be on Mobius as well, so I think they are actually still committing to supporting that one.

But yes, I suspect it's not a huge division right now.

Neonep

I feel like we need to see something definitive on KH3 before they even start talking about this game. I feel like the studios involved with working on any Final Fantasy game & KH3 need to not make any appearances at any conference until they have a release within 18 months.

They really fucked up showing that trailer at PSX in 2015. It's been a shit show ever since.

giphy.gif

Mauddib

Banned
Um who could possibly be surprised by this info given SE's FF output since FFXI? The last decade has been terrible.

StereoVsn

“So far, development (for FFVIIR) has been carried out mainly with the support of external partners. However, in view of factors such as improving quality when the product goes into mass production in the future, the company has decided to shift the developmental system back to within the company, so as to maintain a stable schedule and have control over factors such as quality. We will be forming a robust system within the company to properly carry out the development.”

So... they are just doing this now, at least two years after launching dev and more considering pre-production. I think saying that whole 3 years release timing is quite optimistic then.

We will see PS5 release before this game. Whether this is Nomura's fault or the outside dev studio's, at this point it illustrates even further how terrible SE's workflow has been. Meh.

Is it really that many resources though? Mobius reuses so many assets from other games, that I think only about 20% of all the assets are actually made for Mobius. That's including the art for the cards, which are mostly out-sourced. That's also not accounting for how much Mobius reuses the same assets in the game itself.

benzy

Do we know how many people are in BD1? The BD2 number of 300+ for XV actually includes outsourcing partners like Hexadrive and Xpec.

Neonep

Anyone want to give the likelihood that this game ends up on the PlayStation 5?

Not even really joking here.

Yeah it will probably be a PS5 game. I think the PS5 will probably be out 2019/2020 and this game won't be out until earliest that same time frame.

chrono01

Anyone want to give the likelihood that this game ends up on the PlayStation 5?

Not even really joking here.
I'd say that it's damn near 100% that there will be, in some form, a PS5 release for this game (should it not be cancelled).

As for being PS5-exclusive? I'm sure there will be a PS4 version of some sort, but for the "best experience", I have a feeling the PS5 will be required (since it will likely be Sony's leading hardware when this game actually hits shelves).

duckroll

For those wondering, here's the current breakdown of S-E's main divisions:

BD1 = Kitase; Mobius, FFVIIr
BD2 = Tabata; XV
BD3 = Hashimoto; SaGa, KH3, FFX HD (This includes S-E Osaka)
BD4 = Hazama; Other FF branded Mobile Shit
BD5 = Yoshida; XIV
BD6 = Miyake; DQ

There is also BD7 through 12 but that's less important for the discussion about resources. Lol.

Socivol

Lol they are going to bring Tabata on to get this one done too aren't they? They really need to get their shit together. You announced the game would be episodic so it comes out faster and yet 2 years after it has been announced we have nothing. Actually, they announced that work for the game started a year before they announced it so it's been worked on for at least 3 years now. You would think it would be easier to realize this game considering that it's a remake and not an entirely new game. Didn't Final Fantasy XV only take about 4 years for development after the reboot to come out?

Nomura has been fucking up lately, dude still well above anyone else at SE but his star is fading. The dude is getting dumped from one project to another though, of course there is blame on him but he hasn't been treated very well by SE. Dudes has looked pretty fucked for several years now.

Slater

Banned
What has Square done in the past decade to make people jump to blame CC2 and not them? Fuck me there the last group to assume it's the OTHER partners fault

This is also why there are so few AAA games (and by this, I mean the really big titles, not games like Prey or Nioh) these days.

I'd love SE to do smaller, more frequent games. I wonder how much it would cost them to make a JRPG with SNES style graphics and length congruent with their banner jrpg's of the time like CT or FFVI in house today, with their heavyweight writer/designers - and how much it would sell. I realise they kind of tried to do this through their Tokyo RPG Factory with "I am Setsuna", but it was pretty off the mark.

Lol they are going to bring Tabata on to get this one done too aren't they? They really need to get their shit together. You announced the game would be episodic so it comes out faster and yet 2 years after it has been announced we have nothing.

He's got his hands full at BD2. FFXV and a new IP (I believe that's still happening)

Neonep

In all honesty I doubt Cyber Connect 2 is to blame, one thing you can say about them is that they are consistent and get things out.

Laplasakos

FFXIII team now on VII: Remake. CC2 were supposed to be the chosen one yet here we are.......

If you are implying something about FFXIII team, it's also the team (more or less) that made FFX which happens to be the best FF (along with VII) according to the majority and also for many the last ''true'' FF.

Neonep

So can somebody breakdown what Square Enix Japan is actually working on at the moment, like all the projects? Like what is BD2 working on and so on.

StereoVsn

BD2 = Tabata; XV
BD5 = Yoshida; XIV
BD6 = Miyake; DQ

There is also BD7 through 12 but that's less important for the discussion about resources. Lol.
I wonder if there is active work being done on XVI or XV-2 from Tabata's team since that's the only Studio with resources for that.

Overall this breakdown illustrates that SE needs more Western studios for their Japanese divisions and not just Eidos.

Reveirg

BD2 = Tabata; XV
BD5 = Yoshida; XIV
BD6 = Miyake; DQ

What about the DQ Builders and World of FF teams? I know WoFF was partly developed by Tose but I thought part of it was in-house too.

And what about Hiroyuki "Janitor" Ito??

HeelPower

There's still time to hit reset and change to an ATB/turn-based combat system.

Do it, Square!!!

I wonder if they'll be able to keep their promise about character switching.

I am sure its much harder to do that in a fully real time action system.

Never mind this game, where the hell is kingdom hearts 3??!!? Seriously KH2 released 11! Years ago for PS2 and we're already approaching the 4 year anniversary of PS4.

I love SE but my god they're scheduling and time management suck major ass ever since PS3 gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

BD2 = Tabata; XV
BD5 = Yoshida; XIV
BD6 = Miyake; DQ

As a few side notes.

1.) duckroll has slighted BD2's amazing mobile work like Justice Monsters V and King's Knight.
2.) BD5 also makes Dragon Quest Builders, oversees Final Fantasy Grandmasters, and is officially recruiting for a "new project" that's presumably an unannounced game.

If you are implying something about FFXIII team, it's also the team (more or less) that made FFX which happens to be the best FF (along with VII) according to the majority and also for many the last ''true'' FF.
That was more than a decade ago and it was a project headed by Sakaguchi. Times have changed. Developers have moved on or replaced. It is not the same.

Top Bottom