• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

duckroll

What about the DQ Builders and World of FF's teams? I know WoFF was partly developed by Tose but I thought part of it was in-house too.

World of FF is BD3, since it's under Hashimoto. DQ Builders... I dunno, maybe under Miyake's DQ division? Not entirely sure.

Nirolak has the answer:
As a few side notes.

1.) duckroll has slighted BD2's amazing mobile work like Justice Monsters V and King's Knight.
2.) BD5 also makes Dragon Quest Builders, oversees Final Fantasy Grandmasters, and is officially recruiting for a "new project" that's presumably an unannounced game.

Makes sense now that DQB was under BD5 since Niinou was previously working under Yoshida on XIV.

Slater

Banned
Nomura is such an incompetent director that he has released two games this year already...

2 games? A 3 hour demo for full price and a fucking 3rd time compilation with glitches out the ass are not the AAA titles of a competent productive director.

Get that weak ass apologism outta here

Squire

Banned
What has Square done in the past decade to make people jump to blame CC2 and not them? Fuck me there the last group to assume it's the OTHER partners fault

Yeah, those posts are something else.

If it is episodic, there's a very good chance that it will never finish.

I'm not even saying that, I just... why not free themselves from that drama? That's all it would turn into: a lot of drama.

I wonder if there is active work being done on XVI or XV-2 from Tabata's team since that's the only Studio with resources for that.

Isn't Tabata allegedly prepared some new IP as his next post-XV project? Any prep for XVI would have to be elsewhere, I would think.

What about the DQ Builders and World of FF teams? I know WoFF was partly developed by Tose but I thought part of it was in-house too.

And what about Hiroyuki "Janitor" Ito??

World of Final Fantasy was BD3, looks like.

Laplasakos

Well there are only so many excuses you can make before it starts reflecting poorly on the person rather than circumstances.

- It's only because FFXIII was taking up all the resources! (Versus)
- It's only because Luminous Studio was too crap! (KH3)
- It's only because CC2 failed to deliver! (FFVIIr)

Or maybe it's because he took on projects which were larger in scope than he could manage and lost the plot. Who knows.

The last home console that Nomura directed (brand new game not counting HD collections) and saw the light of the release was KH2. In 2005. 12 years ago. Let this sink a bit...

Never mind this game, where the hell is kingdom hearts 3??!!? Seriously KH2 released 11! Years ago for PS2 and we're already approaching the 4 year anniversary of PS4.

I love SE but my god they're scheduling and time management suck major ass ever since PS3 gen.

Holy shit KH3 and FF7 remake are never going to release at this point, SE needs to tear down the company from the ground up and redesign how they develop games. Their current system is a disaster.

FinalAres

2 games? A 3 hour demo for full price and a fucking 3rd time compilation with glitches out the ass are not the AAA titles of a competent productive director.

Get that weak ass apologism outta here
A 3 hour game, a movie and a strong remaster of a game. That's no easy feat.

I'm not a huge Nomura fan, but the amount of uninformed trolling in here is disgusting. This thread should be a discussion of what the impact of this is, could it be minimal, massive, could it be a positive.

Instead it's filled with people like you.

Shin

Banned
I don't think they will spare valuable resources on a failed mobile title over an upcoming FFVII remake.

FF13 + Mobius by the same people doesn't stir confidence with me for FF7R.
Naoki Yoshida is locked to FF14 I guess since that's a huge success for SE.

wmlk

Isn't Tabata allegedly prepared some new IP as his next post-XV project? Any prep for XVI would have to be elsewhere, I would think.

One of the options people were looking at for FFXVI was 1st Production. That's clearly not on the list anymore.

It's either not in development or BD5 (the division Naoki Yoshida is in) is working on it.

Hold the fuck on, FFX HD is a thing that is happening? When the fuck was that announced?

FFX HD came out two years ago ��

81xbJa9ERUL.jpg

cordy

Banned
Because you can't take a project and COMPLETELY change its staff and expect it to continue humming along.

There is a long learning period.

And that is before we get into the course corrections needed.

And knowing SE, they may decide to start from scratch. Or something close to it.

Nope because there is things like KH3 which should come out before this.

Dope. Thanks for the responses. I understand a bit better now.

Squire

Banned
One of the options people were looking at for FFXVI was 1st Production. That's clearly not on the list anymore.

It's either not in development or BD5 (the division Naoki Yoshida is in) is working on it.

It's gonna be BD5. They're job postings make it so obvious.

benzy

So can somebody breakdown what Square Enix Japan is actually working on at the moment, like all the projects? Like what is BD2 working on and so on.

BD2 has a new IP, XV DLC, plus they're also conducting graphical research either for the new IP, or for XV PC which the team said they want to do.

Theswweet

I don't understand how SE can get AMAZING games like DQB and SaGa: Scarlet Grace in no time at all but then stumble all the way to the finish line with all their mainline brands except DQXI.

Neonep

I'm laughing so hard at myself, I completely forgot that shit existed....

Also do you guys think they should just go kinda all hands on deck for KH3, that game is long overdue.

Hilarion

aka this game is gonna take forever and be a hot mess.

Their focus on graphics is hurting SE.

No kidding. SE made four of my favorite games of the last gen: Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest VII 3DS, and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS. I'm pretty sure I'd love World of Final Fantasy if I played that one.

None are graphically demanding at all.

Hilarion

I'm laughing so hard at myself, I completely forgot that shit existed....

Also do you guys think they should just go kinda all hands on deck for KH3, that game is long overdue.

Do we know if KH3's dev hell is as bad as this game's? I was under the impression that it was on schedule, just with a very long schedule.

Shin

Banned
This game will probably release on and after PS5 is out, hopefully they build it with that in mind to take advantage of 4K.

daffy

Banned
BOTW was announced 4 years ago. They'll be fine.
My problem with this line of thinking is that we knew Nintendo was good for it. We knew Kojima was good for it etc.

Modern Square has NEVER let a game languish in development only to lead to a 90+ metacritic upon release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

HeelPower

FFXHD was completely outsourced.

Its by the guys who did Arkham Asylum/City collection. Still so salty that they completely fucked the faces.

Theswweet

Whoa, whoa, whoa! How did I not know about this? I need this!

Don't get too excited, I'm confident it'll come eventually, CC2 have been working on making it possible for them to release games without requiring a publisher - hence Project Venom - but don't expect Strelka Stories out before 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if the development costs for it right now are literally just the Solatorobo/Tail Concerto/Kemono merch (mostly artbooks) that people buy off of their Amazon.co.jp storefront.

Top Bottom