• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

wmlk

My problem with this line of thinking is that we knew Nintendo was good for it. We knew Kojima was good for it etc.

Modern Square has NEVER let a game languish in development only to lead to a 90+ metacritic upon release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

FFXII.

I will just leave it here.

KHIII-Announcements-Coming.jpg

😞

Yeah.

So I looked into this one a little more, and apparently someone has an obsessive blog about this division where they mention that they also made FLAME x BLAZE (in tandem with Division 3): https://squarebd1.wordpress.com/

Also has a very detailed list for the other divisions, including what games are outsourced vs. developed in-house: https://squarebd1.wordpress.com/all-of-square-enixs-business-divisions-detailed/
I see Perfo is thirsty for more Lightning from Toriyama :p

HeelPower

They really didn't though. It's fiiiine.

I am actually really bitter.

FFXII ended up with a much superior remaster. The game looks so pristine and they also tuned up the gameplay systems.

AHHH!!!!FFX HD's environments look nice ,but that the character models are a huge let down.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Until Nomura gets fully replaced like with FFXV to focus solely on Kingdom Hearts III. Then later on Nomura will be confirmed as the director for the Final Fantasy VI Remake. Until he gets replaced once again to focus solely on Kingdom Hearts III. And then maybe one day Nomura will actually finish Kingdom Hearts III.

Remember when, despite trusted tech leads like Merceron saying the complete opposite, people blamed any perceived problem on internal tools like Luminous Engine and how (smartly) it was battle tested while developing one project only... and how moving to UE4 was going to fix everything ;)?

I'm going to assume (hope) that, long-term, SE believes it wouldn't be ideal to have a 3rd party developer be a major factor in an episodic game that is likely to release content over a period of years, and to ensure cost-efficiency they decided to move this over to in-house development.

I sincerely doubt CC2's quality was lacking.

I am actually really bitter.

FFXII ended up with a much superior remaster. The game looks so pristine and they also tuned up the gameplay systems.

AHHH!!!!FFX HD's environments look nice ,but that the character models are a huge let down.
The same developers are working on XII Remaster but I guess SE forbid them from modifying any character models.

My problem with this line of thinking is that we knew Nintendo was good for it. We knew Kojima was good for it etc.

Modern Square has NEVER let a game languish in development only to lead to a 90+ metacritic upon release. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a really good way to put it.

Neonep

Knowing Square Enix, at some conference it be E3 or TGS they are going to announce some shit that people really want but won't see for at minimum 6 years.

Terrell

This sounds real bad for Cyberconnect 2.

Not necessarily. It could just come down to not interpreting SQE/Nomura's notes the way they were expected to, which doesn't reflect on their ability to do the work per se.

But I agree with others, neither CC2 or Square Enix come out of this very rosy.

I imagine they're doing this because they don't want to have literally zero major titles out of Japan announced.

Like by modern Western game standards, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII shouldn't have been announced until 6-10 months before launch, but you can imagine the riots that would be going on after years of having no major PS4 games announced out of Square Enix.
Not sure of the point you're trying to make here.

Square Enix announcing a AAA JRPG doesn't really hold the weight it did with the stock market like it used to after Versus-XIII-turned-FFXV dragged on into forever. In other words, hype doesn't make them money. Quite the opposite, in fact, since promoting a game for years with no end result just adds more cost to it.

Nor do they have an obligation to Sony or the PS4. They're a 3rd-party publisher, as I recall. And they still had DQ titles announced for PS4, which actually end up getting released and made them good money.

So this whole point of this post confuses me. Can you clarify a little?

I'm actually really interested in what provoked this change.

CC2 should be more than capable of this kind of project. I wonder if Square-Enix's timeline was unrealistic, or if there were mismanagement issues.

A little of columns A and B seems the most likely, and a column C of "not taking direction to SQE's satisfaction" for good measure.

Well there are only so many excuses you can make before it starts reflecting poorly on the person rather than circumstances.

- It's only because FFXIII was taking up all the resources! (Versus)
- It's only because Luminous Studio was too crap! (KH3)
- It's only because CC2 failed to deliver! (FFVIIr)

Or maybe it's because he took on projects which were larger in scope than he could manage and lost the plot. Who knows.

Yeah, if anyone comes out of this looking bad, it's Nomura first and foremost, even if it really is not his doing.

All those people getting hyped over a cgi trailer with no gameplay back at 2015 2006 e3

It's like we've regressed an entire decade.

Slater

Banned
Here's a hot fucking take, BD2 will finish all the patches, DLC, and PC port of XV along with showing off there new IP with at least a trailer before Remake part 1 comes out.

Laplasakos

So I looked into this one a little more, and apparently someone has an obsessive blog about this division where they mention that they also made FLAME x BLAZE (in tandem with Division 3): https://squarebd1.wordpress.com/

Also has a very detailed list for the other divisions, including what games are outsourced vs. developed in-house: https://squarebd1.wordpress.com/all-of-square-enixs-business-divisions-detailed/

I think it's the person who runs KH13. Also a massive Toriyama fan which i don't find it's bad but the problem is that he/she rarely post evidence of all that info, especially for the Divisions. For years he/she is claiming that FFX-3 is in development by Toriyama (and for years i mean since 2012) based only on articles that calls them his ''inside info''. He/She also called Kagari a ''fake insider'' on his twitter once and that she has no SE sources. lol.

Must be waiting to secretly announce that Switch version..........

giphy.gif
So guess this latest news kill the VII: Remake for Switch rumor, lol.

Here's a hot fucking take, BD2 will finish all the patches, DLC, and PC port of XV along with showing off there new IP with at least a trailer before Remake part 1 comes out.
Considering all of this can happen around E3 2018... It is not far fetched to assume this will the case here.

Kain

This game is the gem that keeps on giving (in terms of weird info). Can't wait to see what the next piece of info will be!

Go_Ly_Dow

This should have been primarily internal from the start.

You know, if you want something done right then do it yourself? Come on S-E.....

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would say that the only person who can get SE on the right track is Naoki Yoshida. But anything that takes him away from FFXIV will kill that game off deader than dead. So, nah.

Kyoufu

Too bad it's still FFXV at the end of the day. They should be on the new IP already right now. :/

Oregano

Must be secretly waiting to announce that Switch version..........

giphy.gif

I know you're joking and it's not going to have anything to do with it but hypothetically the fact that CC2 has little/no experience on Nintendo platforms would be a reason to drop them up they wanted a Switch version.

Not necessarily. It could just come down to not interpreting SQE/Nomura's notes the way they were expected to, which doesn't reflect on their ability to do the work per se.

But I agree with others, neither CC2 or Square Enix come out of this very rosy.

Square Enix announcing a AAA JRPG doesn't really hold the weight it did with the stock market like it used to after Versus-XIII-turned-FFXV dragged on into forever. In other words, hype doesn't make them money. Quite the opposite, in fact, since promoting a game for years with no end result just adds more cost to it.

Nor do they have an obligation to Sony or the PS4. They're a 3rd-party publisher, as I recall. And they still had DQ titles announced for PS4, which actually end up getting released and made them good money.

A little of columns A and B seems the most likely, and a column C of "not taking direction to SQE's satisfaction" for good measure.

Yeah, if anyone comes out of this looking bad, it's Nomura first and foremost, even if it really is not his doing.

It's like we've regressed an entire decade.

Well we know they were/are having a crisis of confidence about DQXI.

Spiral_Steak

Neo Member
It really seems like they should have just kept this game under the radar till 2018 or something, this is going to take another 5 years.

Well there are only so many excuses you can make before it starts reflecting poorly on the person rather than circumstances.

- It's only because FFXIII was taking up all the resources! (Versus)
- It's only because Luminous Studio was too crap! (KH3)
- It's only because CC2 failed to deliver! (FFVIIr)

Or maybe it's because he took on projects which were larger in scope than he could manage and lost the plot. Who knows.
Yep. The person here being both Nomura and S-E.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

If Square Enix Japan had no major PS4 games announced until May 2016, do you feel it would have hurt their mind share?

I suspect Square Enix was worried about that, and it was a big part of why they decided to do things like announce a bunch of far off games very early in the generation.

We would also be back to them having no games announced, possibly for years, after Dragon Quest XI comes out.

Even just think about this from the perspective of trying to recruit new staff to work at the company.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I see Perfo is thirsty for more Lightning from Toriyama :p

Nah, I'm done with Lightning. But bring back M. Toriyama, the man at least makes games and doesn't just announce them and complete them through paid DLCs. I really hope he is in some role behind FFXVI because right now he is the only manager capable of managing to do something in a decent frame. But not Lightning again, she bored me to death by now ahah

As for Nomura... maybe it's time to call it a day. S-E needs fresh people, time to Tanaka him!

HeeHo

i don't know how to interpret this. i always thought it was weird that CC2 was doing it in the first place.

i hope it's just a case of Square being extremely nitpicky about detail instead of development issues.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nah, I'm done with Lightning. But bring back M. Toriyama, the man at least makes games and doesn't just announce them and complete them through paid DLCs. I really hope he is in some role behind FFXVI because right now he is the only manager capable of managing to do something in a decent frame. But not Lightning again, she bored me to death by now ahah

Well, if history repeats, he might end up directing the Final Fantasy VII Remake in 2019!

Oregano

So guess this latest news kill the VII: Remake for Switch rumor, lol.

Considering all of this can happen around E3 2018... It is not far fetched to assume this will the case here.

Not really. If the game releases in three/four years then Switch will probably be the most active install Base because presumably PS4 will be in its twilight years and PS5 will be just starting up.

For the record I very much doubt it's getting a Switch version

So they're not taking any chances and now have a person keeping track of progress. I wonder if he has the authority to prod Nomura's slow ass though?

DSix

Banned
Square's project management is unbelievable.

Every year since Sakaguchi left, they got worse and worse at managing projects.

Neonep

Question, is it fair to say that Square Enix has the most announced games in development out of all the studios in gaming?

Squire

Banned

As for Nomura... maybe it's time to call it a day. S-E needs fresh people, time to Tanaka him!

You must be posting from an alternate timeline where ARR, it's xpacs, and Yoshida don't exist.

I maintain Toriyama is a pretty competent even director, but let's not oversell the guy. He should never direct a mainline title again. Same for Tabata.

Top Bottom