• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChanHuk

Banned
Got my name on a Samsung Focus S. The Titan is just huge. But I'm an iPhone user so the Focus S is huge too. They didn't give me an ETA, but I got a $10 giftcard.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The premier partner decides to show up a year and a half late to the dance.

To be fair it's also because Nokia is finally showing back up in NA, and trying to in a big way. I'm not sure if this will actually work, but it's got to be better than now the platform is normally treated in stored by employees.

venne

To be fair it's also because Nokia is finally showing back up in NA, and trying to in a big way. I'm not sure if this will actually work, but it's got to be better than now the platform is normally treated in stored by employees.

It seems to me that this is the first distinct Windows Phone released in NA and is worth pushing. The $99 price point is terrific, too.

I don't blame them for holding out until now.

JaggedSac

It is the first time an OEM actually gave a crap about the success of the platform as well. Not saying this is going to help WP any, but Nokia is damn sure going to try hard to sell their phones. Can't say the same for Samsung or HTC.

giga

Back from the MS Store. They accepted my old winmo phone and now I'm reserved for a free titan. Wait time was really long, but hey, it's a free phone.

Back from the MS Store. They accepted my old winmo phone and now I'm reserved for a free titan. Wait time was really long, but hey, it's a free phone.

Same for my siblings. On a list, and will be contacted once the phones are available, then they'll have 24 hours to pick it up.

Milchjon

Guys I need ideas for an app, anything you want to see on the windows phone app store ? :p

I want a very simple "this place sucks" location based service. No login, no profiles, no place names, no comments. Whenever you're somewhere and you hate it, you just hit a button, and it uses the GPS data. Other people within a certain radius can see it on a map, maybe with a timestamp. The only bonus is a lot of statistics/graphics, like "worst place in the world", "shittiest hour of the week", etc.

That way you can vent easily when you maybe didn't have a choice but to go to the opera with your grandma or something like that, and also warn others, without all the registration hassle of other platforms like Foursquare or Qype.

MJLord

I want a very simple "this place sucks" location based service. No login, no profiles, no place names, no comments. Whenever you're somewhere and you hate it, you just hit a button, and it uses the GPS data. Other people within a certain radius can see it on a map, maybe with a timestamp. The only bonus is a lot of statistics/graphics, like "worst place in the world", "shittiest hour of the week", etc.

That way you can vent easily when you maybe didn't have a choice but to go to the opera with your grandma or something like that, and also warn others, without all the registration hassle of other platforms like Foursquare or Qype.

haha this actually appeals to me ! xD although as part time bedroom programmer I'm making no promises :p

If I were any other company than Nokia, I wouldn't even concider WP. The Titan 2 is completely overshadowed by the L900 while it's the better phone imo. WPcentral is nokia central and so is any other wp site..

Boogie9IGN

I have a HTC Touch Pro 2. Do you think they'd accept it? What store did you go to and what phone did you turn in?

They'll accept anything as long as it turns on/off and can connect to the store's wifi (or you could just cut through the challenge line and go straight to the line to pick your phone). I saw someone come in with an oooooooooooooooooooooooold Palm with an almost-shattered screen and they got accepted. My phone (HTC Inspire) has half the screen cracked and had no problems getting it traded in at all.

Vanillalite

If I were any other company than Nokia, I wouldn't even concider WP. The Titan 2 is completely overshadowed by the L900 while it's the better phone imo. WPcentral is nokia central and so is any other wp site..

To be fair the Titan II is the only phone releasing in the 1st half of this year outside of the low cost emerging market stuff like ZTE that isn't a Nokia phone.

WTF else are they suppose to talk about? How much Samsung loves the platform? HTC also seems content pushing their Android stuff more even with the Titan II coming anyways.

It sucks, but it's the reality of the current situation.

freshair

Posted?

e6ITJ.png

Two days before the Windows Phone challenge at the Microsoft Stores was set to end, Microsoft has now extended the deal to April 8th, albeit with a change.

Because customer demand has been so high and because customers have pretty much been coming in just to LOSE and get a phone (they don’t care about the challenge), the stores will no longer be doing the challenge and instead, if you bring in any old smartphone and recycle it at the store, they will give you from $50 to $300 in credit towards a new Windows Phone, free of cost, contract and activation. The reason they’re doing the credit instead of giving you the phone right away is because many (if not all?) stores are literally out of stock of phones at the moment, and they will be slowly fulfilling the phones as they get new stock.

This is the perfect opportunity to get the Radar, Lumia 710, and Focus Flash for free (those phones are under $300), or a nice $300 discount on all of the other phones at the store.

FYI: Microsoft Stores are also taking pre-orders for the Lumia 900

http://wmpoweruser.com/smokedbywindowsphone-scrapped-microsoft-outright-giving-phones-away

Though one commenter said this was old news and they've been doing this since Nov. 2011 O__O

http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/recyclephone-offer/

Lesiroth

You guys are pretty lucky, I wish I could make use of an offer like that. Heck, I wish I could find any Windows Phone around me here more up to date than the original Focus.

Vanillalite

Great Move by MS. It also IMO is a great sign that people really want to take advantage of these deal even beyond just getting one to sell.

Vanillalite

$300 off that Lumia 800 bundle would actually make it a decent deal.

Isn't that bundle online only since the 800 isn't really out in the US?

Also with the coupon deal above is that to buy these phones off contract or could you still use it to buy a phone on contract with a subsidized price? It's confusing to me.

Commodore

Great Move by MS. It also IMO is a great sign that people really want to take advantage of these deal even beyond just getting one to sell.

Pretty much. They've dropped the challenge part of the deal, simply because most people were simply bringing in phones they wanted to loose with. Demand has been high, big turn out from all accounts, so looks like they're simply getting a chance to get a bunch of phones in people's hands which is the good strategy given their market share.

Firestorm

I wonder how many phones will only fetch $50. All the recycling phone deals in Canada blow =/ Usually better to just keep it as a spare or give it a friend than get the measly amount you get for them.

Isn't that bundle online only since the 800 isn't really out in the US?

Also with the coupon deal above is that to buy these phones off contract or could you still use it to buy a phone on contract with a subsidized price? It's confusing to me.

I am pretty sure the 800 is available in store but they only have black and pink. But at this point I would just use the 300 toward Lumia 900 off contract.

If the deal has been around for a while as people claim then they just essentially scrap the challenge and swap in existing promo ... either way that challenge was poorly thought out but I guess it serve the purpose of getting people attention and PR (good or bad) so may be it's does work for Microsoft.

I wonder how much they would give me for my old iPhone 3GS and iPhone 1 ...

Tapiozona

Banned
So my wife's sister works for AT&T and just texted me today that they gave her a Lumia 900 as her work phone. Apparently they gave them to all store employees who wanted one and apparently everyone did. She used to be a huge windows phone hater even with me constantly harping on her to have an open mind and try it. She admitted that she always told people to buy something else (android) but now shes in love and it seems the phone is super super hot with the employees.

Very smart move on Microsoft/AT&T's part. Enthusiastic employees will almost guarantee much much better sales for WP.

On a side note. I called the Microsoft store today where I bought my Titan from. Since mine is still defective and HTC are being fucktards about fixing it (muffled voice issue), the guy in the store said he'd exchange it for another or a different phone which means... I'm getting a Lumia. I haven't been this excited in a while.

hwalker84

So my wife's sister works for AT&T and just texted me today that they gave her a Lumia 900 as her work phone. Apparently they gave them to all store employees who wanted one and apparently everyone did. She used to be a huge windows phone hater even with me constantly harping on her to have an open mind and try it. She admitted that she always told people to buy something else (android) but now shes in love and it seems the phone is super super hot with the employees.

Very smart move on Microsoft/AT&T's part. Enthusiastic employees will almost guarantee much much better sales for WP.

On a side note. I called the Microsoft store today where I bought my Titan from. Since mine is still defective and HTC are being fucktards about fixing it (muffled voice issue), the guy in the store said he'd exchange it for another or a different phone which means... I'm getting a Lumia. I haven't been this excited in a while.

God I don't know if I can hold off to see the white one in person and decide between it and the black.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

remb. pics or it didn't happen.

Circle T

remb. pics or it didn't happen.

True. The WP world is counting on this thread for info ;P

On that note, here are some updates from the reps at my store. They have, I believe, 7 devices, between a few of the reps and the two managers (Managers have cyan, reps have black). A couple of them are very familiar with WP7, the others not so much....

• Lots of complaints about the phone being slick, and hard to keep hold of.
  • The speaker is pretty weak, and alarms, specifically, are hard to hear.
  • Auto-rotate, can't be turned off, and is a bit overanxious at times.
  • Screen is awesome, as are most OLEDs. Bright sunlight is no problem.
  • Camera is great. Both stills and video look really nice.
  • Charging port is on the top, and makes talking on it while charging hard, if not impossible.
  • One of them is dead already. Everything worked fine, except calls were totally garbled.
  • Lot's of grumbling, as you'd guess, about app selection. No news there. Not a Lumia fault.

Overall, though, it seems like everyone generally likes it. The hardware is pretty good, and the phone is very fast and smooth. I think at $99, it is going to get a lot of looks. It's either the 900, the iP4, or the GSII at that price, and the 900 puts up a lot of good positives comparatively. I'm interested to see how it plays out in the coming weeks/months, especially with the huge marketing push behind it.

Vanillalite

I am pretty sure the 800 is available in store but they only have black and pink. But at this point I would just use the 300 toward Lumia 900 off contract.

If the deal has been around for a while as people claim then they just essentially scrap the challenge and swap in existing promo ... either way that challenge was poorly thought out but I guess it serve the purpose of getting people attention and PR (good or bad) so may be it's does work for Microsoft.

I wonder how much they would give me for my old iPhone 3GS and iPhone 1 ...

What carrier will the 800 work on though? AT&T and T-Mobile both aren't actually selling the phone. Would it actually work 3g wise?

Also would be nice to know just how much everyone is getting for their trades. The deal seems good if you actually get a decent amount off.

PS: Funny how despite how awesome the 900 really is that it's more the fact that top down is actually pushing the phone as the cool thing that people are finally really noticing it such as the person's sister above. Amazing how much the cool factor matters over how good or bad your product is these days.

I am so very excited for this launch.

I have a Blackberry Torch and it's been an absolutely terrible experience.

The only concern I have is the required $20/month voice plan (iirc?)

In which case makes me a sad panda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom