• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Have to wait in line for the challenge. Though it's not as if you have to try hard or anything.

The thing is, I have a semi-broken Samsung Captivate since the power button is jammed so it doesn't work if I press it. Do they take a look and inspect the phone before they allow you to take the challenge or could I just go there and trade in my phone for a new one?

Milly79

I've had issues with wifi on the Titan, specifically though the wifi would connect on wake up, but data would never be received/sent so browsing email this update fw update from htc seems to of fixed them.

Also am downgrading my hd7 to nodo will be interesting to see how bad it was in comparison.

Edit:

Nvm, works? Bleh.

PSGames

Today was a success! Brought a friend and two of my old phones a beat up BB Curve and an original iPhone. Took the challenges and now have two Titans with my name on it whenever they come in. Took about two hors of wait time from start to finish though.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Today was a success! Brought a friend and two of my old phones a beat up BB Curve and an original iPhone. Took the challenges and now have two Titans with my name on it whenever they come in. Took about two hors of wait time from start to finish though.

gratz. if i may ask, what are you gonna do with the two phones?

Troll

Banned

the dude I talked to said that I would have to go and pic it up, they can't mail it to me. is that what they told you?

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm gonna go in tomorrow with a Blackberry 8820. I can see a lot of people upset if Microsoft doesn't fulfill these rainchecks.

Troll

Banned
I plan on selling them and recouping the money from the iPad 3 I purchased :p
No one I know needs a phone.

Yes I was told me and my friend both have to come in person.

Yeah, that's why I can't do it. I would have to drive out there. Twice. Not going to happen.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
No according to the SlickDeals thread. If it were close I'd totally go with my iPhone 3G :(

ofl6I.jpg

maeh2k

Thanks for the quick reply. The store where my office is located received their 900s today, so all the reps have them. One of them, who is new to WP7, was wondering this, as that is how they often dialed people/places in their previous GSII.

What is the quickest way to locate a contact to call then? I don't have a phone in front of me, and I'm really ignorant of WP7.

*Edit*

Thanks, I'll tell them to try this.

I hardly ever use mine to call people and then only a small group of people. So for me I have those people/groups pinned to the start screen to get to them quickly.
Also then I start the 'phone app' these people tend to be among the recent calls. If that's the case you can directly tap the phone icon.

Other than that the fastest way is probably via voice. For me it doesn't work perfectly, though (probably because it's in German). E.g. my name 'Philip' doesn't really work. You'd have to say 'call Feeleep'. I suspect it works well in English, however.

(have him try the voice options by long-pressing the windows button and saying 'what can I say' so he knows what's possible)

China Telecom does what Verizon doesn't.

Beijing, China - Today China Telecom and Nokia announced the Nokia 800C, the first CDMA Windows Phone in China and Nokia's first Lumia phone for the world's largest smartphone market. The Nokia 800C combines head-turning design and the fastest way to connect to the people, places and things that matter most, in an experience uniquely tailored for people in China on the country's leading 3G network.
http://press.nokia.com/2012/03/28/china-telecom-and-nokia-launch-first-cdma-windows-phone-in-china/

Totakeke

It's weird they don't allow Windows Mobile phones though, the ex-WM turned Android users are usually the most vocal against Windows Phone. :)

It's weird they don't allow Windows Mobile phones though, the ex-WM turned Android users are usually the most vocal against Windows Phone. :)
I don't think any company wants to advertise that they smoked their previous OS.

"Buy Windows Phone, it will be obsolete and shitty in a few years just like this last one we made!"

Totakeke

I don't think any company wants to advertise that they smoked their previous OS.

"Buy Windows Phone, it will be obsolete and shitty in a few years just like this last one we made!"

Quite the opposite really. They need to make it absolutely clear that Windows Phone has nothing common with Windows Mobile, which quite a number of uninformed people actually thinks they're in the same vein.

Yeah they also are bringing a low cost entry level phone according to The Verge that has 256 RAM which makes me think it's a Tango phone. It's being called like the 800c a 610c.

Would this be the 1st Tango phone on the market?

The Lumia 610 was introduced at MWC as a Tango phone. It's going to be available everywhere. The 610C is just the Chinese CDMA version.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Lumia 610 was introduced at MWC as a Tango phone. It's going to be available everywhere. The 610C is just the Chinese CDMA version.

I get that. I just meant is the Chinese variant going to be the launch of said phone. I haven't heard of the 610 being launched anywhere else in the world yet. If it's the 1st wouldn't that be the launch of said "Tango" phones?

I get that. I just meant is the Chinese variant going to be the launch of said phone. I haven't heard of the 610 being launched anywhere else in the world yet. If it's the 1st wouldn't that be the launch of said "Tango" phones?

Depends on how quick Nokia is. The 610 is still in production and doesn't have a launch date yet ("Q2 2012"). ZTE could launch their phone before them.

PG2G

Now they need to get on China Mobile, since it is the much larger carrier.

I wish there was some kind of indication of how things were going. Seems like Nokia is releasing in a new market every week or two.

Quite the opposite really. They need to make it absolutely clear that Windows Phone has nothing common with Windows Mobile, which quite a number of uninformed people actually thinks they're in the same vein.

I disagree, you never want to remind consumers about your previous fuck ups if you don't have to, since this campaign is all about showing superiority to their competitors, they don't have to.

Totakeke

I disagree, you never want to remind consumers about your previous fuck ups if you don't have to, since this campaign is all about showing superiority to their competitors, they don't have to.

Most media outlets and internet sites won't give a damn about Windows Phone winning against Windows Mobile, it's older than old news. I'm not saying putting it as the centre of the campaign, but why bother excluding Windows Mobile users who might be still out there?

Little brother and sister are on their way to switch from iPhone 3GS and some Android phone (not sure which) to WP. Hopefully they're still giving them away/contest is still running in Tyson's Corner, VA.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Most media outlets and internet sites won't give a damn about Windows Phone winning against Windows Mobile, it's older than old news. I'm not saying putting it as the centre of the campaign, but why bother excluding Windows Mobile users who might be still out there?

I dont know, the way they jumped on that one guy who didn't get a laptop and turned it into three full days of coverage makes me think they would indeed write a story or two about new windows phone smoking windows mobile, and put a negative slant on it somehow. Dont doubt MS haters like vlad Savov.

JimiNutz

Banned
When/will WP start getting treated as an equal to iOS and Android?
By that I mean how long before new apps or games launch on all 3 operating systems rather than just the usual iOS and Android combo?

I really love the operating system and don't wanna switch over to one of the rivals, but I wanna play the new Angry Birds on my phone dammit (just an example).

thirty

Banned
windows mobile users are extremely bitter against windows phone. they feel completely screwed their platform got killed off for a platform they couldn't upgrade to.

By that I mean how long before new apps or games launch on all 3 operating systems rather than just the usual iOS and Android combo?

I really love the operating system and don't wanna switch over to one of the rivals, but I wanna play the new Angry Birds on my phone dammit (just an example).

When it gets more than 2% market share.

hwalker84

I'll say it's going to take 10-15% marketshare for this to happen or Microsoft makes some incredible cross platform tools for easy development between all three.

hwalker84

So we could potentially be stuck like this forever? :(
Are window tablets expected to use the same operating system as our phones? If so, maybe their success could mean good things for windows phone?
I forgot about this. Supposedly WP7 apps will run on W8. I think Metro apps on Win8 will be easily ported to WP8.

PG2G

Android STILL doesn't get the same level of app support that iOS does. While many come day and date with iOS, there is still a good chunk that make it to Android later, or don't make it at all.

I just bought a Lumia 800 for my girlfriend.

OF COURSE I played around with it for a good hour before I'll be giving it to her.

It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous, Windows 7 is astonishingly nice. Also, I paid 370 Euros unlocked. Can't beat that. You really can't.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

OF COURSE I played around with it for a good hour before I'll be giving it to her.

It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous, Windows 7 is astonishingly nice. Also, I paid 370 Euros unlocked. Can't beat that. You really can't.

is gorgeous enough to make you switch to wp7?

frontieruk

Buy a touch or a iPad then come to the darkside

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was at Future Shop yesterday and messed around with an 800 for a bit. It was nice that they had one on display that you could actually play with. However the big ad above showed the Lumia 710 :p Wrong carrier, wrong phone....

Lesiroth

So... what's wrong with the Focus Flash? It seems damn cheap, going for around 200 new on eBay and it's a 2nd generation phone and it has a front camera, right? Doesn't look like it's missing anything and the price is certainly attractive.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So... what's wrong with the Focus Flash? It seems damn cheap, going for around 200 new on eBay and it's a 2nd generation phone and it has a front camera, right? Doesn't look like it's missing anything and the price is certainly attractive.

Its a good phone, the only downside would be the paltry 8gb of storage.

Lesiroth

The storage isn't that much of a problem, I'm managing with the same on my Atrix just fine.
Battery's pretty important though, need to confirm on that.

PG2G

AT&T planning for a post-8107 OS update for current Windows Phones

The good news is they have not shut the door on OS updates for their current lineup including the Samsung Focus S, Focus Flash and HTC Titan. Stacey Harth, a spokeswoman for AT&T, told us this morning "AT&T plans for a Windows Phone update that will contain the improvements in the 8107 update and more" with no commitment to a time-frame.

So what does that mean exactly? It means "Tango", which goes by the alternate name CR3, is something that they are looking to evaluate for an OS update. While they did not want give any time-frames they are definitely committed to updating those devices with a post-8107 OS update from Microsoft. "Tango" (or a build post-Tango) is certainly the most viable candidate for such an update.

Pretty much what I expected. AT&T skips the bug fix releases and releases the larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom