• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

The comments are as always hilarious, people take this too seriously. Out of 100s of contests two guys feel the need to blog about their oh-so-good Android phone and why Microsoft is a horrible company. It's so... cliche and easy to bash.

If they are out of phones, do they mail you the phone when it is in stock or do they make you return to pick it up?

I assume you can't do a challange if they are out of phones.

One one hand this OS is so fast compared to competitors. Especially when dealing with social networks and the like.

But on the other hand...app support is awful.

I don't know if the tradeoff is worth it though, but I think I'll cop the Iphone 5 if it continues this way.

One one hand this OS is so fast compared to competitors. Especially when dealing with social networks and the like.

But on the other hand...app support is awful.

I don't know if the tradeoff is worth it though, but I think I'll cop the Iphone 5 if it continues this way.

If app is the main reason for you to use your phone then I would not consider Windows Phone. Since I got my iPad, I pretty much use all my app on there. My phone is just to check email, finance stuff and social network. I used to game a lot on there when I first got the phone but I get bore real quick with most of the phone games.

D23

If they are out of phones, do they mail you the phone when it is in stock or do they make you return to pick it up?

they'll put you on a waitlist i think

anyway, ive been using my lumia 710 and i just cant get enough how fast and sleek the UI is compared to android. i was originally going to sell it on craiglist but i might use it as my primary phone.. my galaxy has been pissing me off with the constant freezes issues!!

ill get the lumia 900 next year

CaptainABAB

So I'm eligible for an upgrade thru AT&T on April 10.

With new phones available around that time, I may upgrade my Focus for a Lumia 900 or a Titan II

As much as I like the Focus and it has served me well (got it during the original WP7 launch), I'm now looking for a phone with a better camera.

Here is the big question: upgrade now or wait for more info on Apollo?

For example, whether these phones will be upgradeable to Apollo/WP8.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
they'll put you on a waitlist i think

anyway, ive been using my lumia 710 and i just cant get enough how fast and sleek the UI is compared to android. i was originally going to sell it on craiglist but i might use it as my primary phone.. my galaxy has been pissing me off with the constant freezes issues!!

ill get the lumia 900 next year

Honestly by next year the 900 will be old hat. Glad to hear you like the 710 though!

It's these types of experience MS needs. They need people to just get real hands on time with the phone in their own world to see how great the platform is in terms of speed and responsiveness is.

kazinova

So I'm eligible for an upgrade thru AT&T on April 10.

With new phones available around that time, I may upgrade my Focus for a Lumia 900 or a Titan II

As much as I like the Focus and it has served me well (got it during the original WP7 launch), I'm now looking for a phone with a better camera.

Here is the big question: upgrade now or wait for more info on Apollo?

For example, whether these phones will be upgradeable to Apollo/WP8.

I'm desperate to get a Lumia 900, if only for the camera upgrade from my OG Focus (whose camera seems worse than when I first bought the phone). But I'm going to wait for Apollo devices just to see, the Lumia 900 will still be amazing looking and have a great camera in November too. And it'll be cheaper too. (probably free for the holidays).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Honestly by next year the 900 will be old hat.

What phone ISN'T going to be old hat by next year? For that matter, what phone won't be old hat by this fall when the new dual core HD Windows phones, the new iPhone and Google Nexus phones are out?

New tech is always out, you act like its only an issue on this platform but go to the android thread and ask which phone to buy, you'll get the same answer: "wait for....". Truth is, you won't regret buying a 900 more than you would any other high end phone right now on any platform given whats coming. In general, Fall seems to be a better time to buy a phone this year, but something better is always around the corner.

Edit: Pink Lumia 900 for mothers day? My wife has a lot of thinking to do.

hwalker84

I can't wait for the tech sites to get the 900 in hand so we can see some comparisons with the camera. The Titan's camera is superb and I want to know if it beats that.

Vanillalite

What phone ISN'T going to be old hat by next year? For that matter, what phone won't be old hat by this fall when the new dual core HD Windows phones, the new iPhone and Google Nexus phones are out?

New tech is always out, you act like its only an issue on this platform but go to the android thread and ask which phone to buy, you'll get the same answer: "wait for....". Truth is, you won't regret buying a 900 more than you would any other high end phone right now on any platform given whats coming. In general, Fall seems to be a better time to buy a phone this year, but something better is always around the corner.

Edit: Pink Lumia 900 for mothers day? My wife has a lot of thinking to do.

Never said it wouldn't be the same for other platforms. LOL

They just said they'd stick with the 710 and upgrade to a 900 next year, and I just made the comment. Yeah it would be the same for other platforms. It would be like saying I'll stick with my android phone and get a Galaxy SIII next year, but yeah that'd be old hat.

Problem with your shit is this is the WP thread so I brought up the WP stuff cause that's wtf we are talking about. I didn't bring up the iPhone or Android cause this isn't the iPhone or Android topic.

I also firmly believe while there is always something new coming there definitely can be better times to buy a phone. There wasn't a huge difference between the launch phones and mango phones. Honestly there wasn't a huge difference between the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S. Same thing with the difference between late Froyo stuff and the GB phones. This is the big jump year that we saw back in 2010.

I definitely feel as if a lot of tech is in 2 year cycles. New tech comes out, and then the next year said tech is released as an improved version. Then the next big jump happens, and then new tech is improved. I'd much rather be say in the iOS world in the cylce of I got an iPhone 4 then could upgrade to the iPhone 5 verses the 3GS going to the 4S going to the 5S. Maybe that's just my personal opinion though.

At any rate the poster just made a comment about just getting the 900 next year, and we all know we probably won't. We'll just get whatever the new Nokia phones are that will be out when we do that next year. I fail to see how this isn't really a factual statement. :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm waiting on an Apollo PureView phone.

Are there any indications that this is happening? Nokia putting Symbian on the 808 is pretty hilarious. The IQ from the camera and lens rivals some high end Point and Shoots.

With that said, if they do use the PureView tech (basically the exact setup in the 808) on a Windows Phone the phone itself will need a good amount of internal memory due to the weight of a 41Megapixel file (unless they plan on compressing the shit out of each full resolution file). Hopefully, for the enthusiasts, they allow for RAW files.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I dont know, 3gs to 4s is a huge leap. And in Android, the comparable jump would be eclair to gingerbread or froyo to ICS, also big jumps. I think with iPhone moving to the fall, and the Nexus line as well, that certainly makes that a better time to upgrade, but any upgrade at any time after two years will be a huge leap.

PG2G

PureView images are downsampled to a size equivalent of a 5 megapixel image, though there might be an option to save the full image.

I read somewhere that we might not see PureView phones until 2013, we'll see though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PureView images are downsampled to a size equivalent of a 5 megapixel image, though there might be an option to save the full image.

I read somewhere that we might not see PureView phones until 2013, we'll see though.

Ahh I see, part of the magic is in the downsampling. I thought I had read that the full res could be saved but looking at the promotional videos theres a selection of 8MP, 5MP and 3MP files. 8MP is good enough for 8x10 prints though which is more than one could ask from a cameraphone with the quality Pureview is providing.

What the fuck is wrong with my Omnia 7, it's battery is lasting half as much as it did, it randomly turns on and off and it refuses to remain in sleep mode for over 5 minutes. The battery indicator always says it's charging when it isn't and it's just so frustrating. Is my phone fucked or is this some sort of sick joke?

jagowar

Ahh I see, part of the magic is in the downsampling. I thought I had read that the full res could be saved but looking at the promotional videos theres a selection of 8MP, 5MP and 3MP files. 8MP is good enough for 8x10 prints though which is more than one could ask from a cameraphone with the quality Pureview is providing.

That is part of the magic.... because of the sensor size it also allows a digital zoom to actually be worth a damn. In one of the videos I watched (engadget or the verge) they said this allowed them to do zoom on par with an optical zoom but not add the extra bulk for it. Really an ingenious way to do good zoom and still keep it small enough for a phone.

What the fuck is wrong with my Omnia 7, it's battery is lasting half as much as it did, it randomly turns on and off and it refuses to remain in sleep mode for over 5 minutes. The battery indicator always says it's charging when it isn't and it's just so frustrating. Is my phone fucked or is this some sort of sick joke?

check background tasks. Maybe try restoring your phone.

Vanillalite

I dont know, 3gs to 4s is a huge leap. And in Android, the comparable jump would be eclair to gingerbread or froyo to ICS, also big jumps. I think with iPhone moving to the fall, and the Nexus line as well, that certainly makes that a better time to upgrade, but any upgrade at any time after two years will be a huge leap.

Of course it's a big leap, but things like the new form factor and the updated screen res for the 4S are things that have already been out for over a year by time you go your 4S. People with the 4 have been utilizing this for a while now. Then people with the 4 will move to the 5 while enjoying 2 years of their phone having basically the same base high tech where as 4S people will only have a year or less when the 5 changes things up in a bigger way.

I'd agree moving to ICS is a big jump. Outside of the Galaxy Nexus though all of the stock ICS stuff is this year. Last year was just basically more GB stuff which really wasn't that much different from stuff from the year before.

To throw this back to WP if we take the launch phones from fall 2010 those people upgrading on a 2 year cycle will be moving to Apollo phones. The interim year would be the 2011 phones which we even dubbed WP 7.5 aka Mango Phones. You want to be on the 7 moving to an 8 because the difference between 7 and 7.5 wasn't THAT big. So you're getting 2 full years out of again the same base high tech for the platform. 7.5 Phones only get a year or less with 8 phones coming.

Does this make any sense to anyone the way I'm laying this out?

Klocker

my cousin is intrigued by my Windows Phone and is due for an upgrade next month on Verizon.. is there anything on VZN that is worth recommending?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Does this make any sense to anyone the way I'm laying this out?

There's the big leap forward year, and then there is the refinement year. One could argue any of those cycles is best. For example, the launch wp7 folks get Apollo, a big jump, but the refinement folks got the best version of mango phones AND they'll get the best version of Apollo phones next year, once manufacturers are more comfortable with the new capabilities of the OS.

The 3gs folks got the best version of the old form factor, now they upgrade to the best version of the current form factor (4S), and next year they'll get a version of the iPhone that fixes whatever design issues are introduced by this year's model.

I think a strong argument could be made either way and it comes down to personal preference.

I'm dumb and completely forgot about that lol! But now that you mention it, an LTE phone could be somewhat future proof because there are rumours that Telcel (my carrier) will have LTE network as soon as this month (sadly those rumours not include the 900)

I realize I am probably in the minority but I hate hate hate the Zune client. I can never get it to do what I want. I can't even get to sync my music from my phone to PC due to some error. All the workarounds tried so far don't work. Also, how can I re-download a song using my Zune pass? I downloaded a song but it cuts off after 20 seconds. There was likely a connection issue when I was downloading a song the first time. I don't see an option to download again. If I delete and download again will that count as a second "purchase"?

frontieruk

I realize I am probably in the minority but I hate hate hate the Zune client. I can never get it to do what I want. I can't even get to sync my music from my phone to PC due to some error. All the workarounds tried so far don't work. Also, how can I re-download a song using my Zune pass? I downloaded a song but it cuts off after 20 seconds. There was likely a connection issue when I was downloading a song the first time. I don't see an option to download again. If I delete and download again will that count as a second "purchase"?

if its a pass track and not an actual purchase then its not charged, if it was a purchase ie paid for you may want to contact support

frontieruk

I updated to 8107 a couple of nights ago, and it seems to connect to wifi quicker.

I've had issues with wifi on the Titan, specifically though the wifi would connect on wake up, but data would never be received/sent so browsing email this update fw update from htc seems to of fixed them.

Also am downgrading my hd7 to nodo will be interesting to see how bad it was in comparison.

Circle T

Quick WP7 question....

Is there a way that when you start typing the name of a contact with the number pad in the dialer, for it show suggested contact results? For example, in Android, if I'm going to call someone named Brian, I can just dial "2-7-4..." and it will start suggesting contacts as I'm dialing those numbers, and Brian will come up. Is there a setting in WP7 to do something similar, or an app perhaps? Thanks GAF.

Nero3000

Quick WP7 question....

Is there a way that when you start typing the name of a contact with the number pad in the dialer, for it show suggested contact results? For example, in Android, if I'm going to call someone named Brian, I can just dial "2-7-4..." and it will start suggesting contacts as I'm dialing those numbers, and Brian will come up. Is there a setting in WP7 to do something similar, or an app perhaps? Thanks GAF.

no built in functionality.

jagowar

Quick WP7 question....

Not directly from the dialer but when you click the phone icon there is a search charm at the bottom.... in there you can type 2-7-4 and it will go through your history and find that number..... this would work as long as you have called the person atleast once before.

Circle T

no built in functionality.

Thanks for the quick reply. The store where my office is located received their 900s today, so all the reps have them. One of them, who is new to WP7, was wondering this, as that is how they often dialed people/places in their previous GSII.

What is the quickest way to locate a contact to call then? I don't have a phone in front of me, and I'm really ignorant of WP7.

*Edit*

Not directly from the dialer but when you click the phone icon there is a search charm at the bottom.... in there you can type 2-7-4 and it will go through your history and find that number..... this would work as long as you have called the person atleast once before.

Thanks, I'll tell them to try this.

Fjolle

Thanks for the quick reply. The store where my office is located received their 900s today, so all the reps have them. One of them, who is new to WP7, was wondering this, as that is how they often dialed people/places in their previous GSII.

What is the quickest way to locate a contact to call then? I don't have a phone in front of me, and I'm really ignorant of WP7.

Go to the people hub. Press search and start typing the name.

frontieruk

Go to the people hub. Press search and start typing the name.

I go people hub and tap # then the letter the persons name starts with, as the search returns all users with the letters you type until it eliminates who you don't want, going via the letter index uses less taps.

I'm lazy :(

You know when you touch the lockscreen and you see the lockscreen 'jump'. I didn't know iOS stole that idea, which doesn't even make sense couse you have to swype from left to right in stead of from bottom to top.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
You know when you touch the lockscreen and you see the lockscreen 'jump'. I didn't know iOS stole that idea, which doesn't even make sense couse you have to swype from left to right in stead of from bottom to top.

They actually did that? That's even worse than taking the status bar from droid. I dunno why they didn't colab with the makers of smb settings.

Er, what?

When you touch the Camera icon, the lockscreen bounces indicating that you need to swipe upwards to launch the Camera application; I don't see how that's stealing from WP7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom