• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

My 2nd regular 360 died this weekend, the DVD drive bit it. I picked up a slim and threw the old hard drive in it. Anyone know a good site for replacements?

BioHazard

Yeah does anybody have any experience with getting their 360 fixed (not by MS)? My warranty has been up for a while, I'm thinking of just getting a new slim.

Dai101

Banned
BioHazard said:
Yeah does anybody have any experience with getting their 360 fixed (not by MS)? My warranty has been up for a while, I'm thinking of just getting a new slim.

I got a launch 360 that got the RRoD. A few months back i give it to my brother and his wife since i got a Elite a few months earlier (just a few days before the S model announce ¬¬), we took it to a friend of mine that has a bussines modding and repairing consoles, since then my brother is using it and mod it to run back ups and is working fine since then

Dai101 said:
I got a launch 360 that got the RRoD. A few months back i give it to my brother and his wife since i got a Elite a few months earlier (just a few days before the S model announce ¬¬), we took it to a friend of mine that has a bussines modding and repairing consoles, since then my brother is using it and mod it to run back ups and is working fine since then
:lol

Mindlog

BioHazard said:

Do you know your error code?
How to get the error code, here.

I did it myself using this tutorial and it is working again. I was tempted to go with the ultimate x-clamp fix, but I'm good for now.

I did not overheat the 360 at the end. When the 360 needs it I will use my heat gun. I'm on the side that believes shortcut overheating is just not a great idea.

Fixing my 360 was more time-intensive than difficult. It's actually kind of hard to break. I tried :lol I got tired of cleaning the GPU/CPU so I just used a dab of WD 40. I was sort of hoping it would break so I could justify getting a Slim, but it's working like new. Considering the simplicity it's quite likely that someone advertising repair knows how to do it.

neptunes

The 4GB Slim has been on sale for $159 @ Walmart Canada for the longest while.

I haven't seen many people buying the 250GB ver.

New 250GB bundle with Froza 3 and Alan Wake(downloadable), might be Canada only though.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/xbox-holiday-bundle-with-forza-3-downloadable-alan-wake-headed/
360sholiday2010bundle.jpg

I'm having trouble getting my new 360 S to recognise the hard drive. I've tried the official 250GB one, plus an old 20GB removed from its housing - neither of them show up on the dashboard.
I don't really get a 'click' when putting the drive in, plus the whole internal frame seems a bit 'wobbly', like it's on springs. Is it meant to be like that?

MrFlooD

Yes the spring loaded thing is normal. Cuts down on noise and safer for the HDD.

Also make sure you push the drive in all the way. It should not come out easy without a pop.

Also, the system wont see the drives until you go through the startup wizard. Make sure you complete the wizard before trying to see any drives.

Regards,

Those of you looking for USB drives, I just got a Patriot Xporter XT 16gb from Newegg, it benchmarks rather high, it's nigh-indestructible, and it's $36 ($21 after mail-in rebate). Works flawlessly on my Win7 PC and 360.

Also, holiday bundle news should go in new threads guys, no one is going to check this one.

Guevara said:
That's so weird, I guess they want to avoid a flood of trades-in? But then why is Forza on disc?

They seem to have an excess of Forza discs printed up somewhere. The (UK)store I work in just got loads in, out of the blue. Not Classic/Platinum hits versions either, or the Ultimate edition, funnily enough.

I guess Microsoft was hoping to ride the hype overflow from GT5's release, but the delay would have screwed that up for them.

F3 on dvd most likely to get rid of the last leg of prints, I am guessing that the ultimate edition is also using the normal dvd's along with either codes for the car packs or they have been added to disc 2, the UC cover is 99% the same as it is right now so they are not throwing much effort into it.

Alan quake as a dlc makes perfect sense, it's a single player adventure and people like me would play it twice or so and then trade it because there was nothing else to do in it, you can't do that with a download copy :p

Sticking NOT FOR RESALE in yellow across the box doesn't seem to stop high streets in the UK selling the games 2nd hand at all, in fact they stick it up on the shelf for the normal used price lol, wish someone would pay them a visit and tell 'em off :/

FrankT

Forza is still charting this week. Thought it may have been due to the Ultimate edition, but that is this week. Also thought it maybe due to this bundle, but AW would have to be up their somewhere too and it's not. Not sure if the bundle is even out in the UK or not yet. Alan Wake makes for a nice title for download and I suspect it will be on Games on Demand soon.

I've transferred the stuff off my old HDD to the new one, but I noticed the old one showed up as an external drive when connected via the transfer cable. Will it work as a large secondary HDD?

Yen

I'd quite like a 4GB but I've a few questions:
Is 4GB enough to save games on? As in save files.
How big are map packs and would they fit on a 4GB?

leng jai

Yenrot said:

Plenty for save games. Should be good for a fair few map packs. You can use flash drives to increase storage as well.

Yenrot said:

Save files are typically very small in size, you'll have room for shitloads of them.
Map packs are usually in the hundreds of MBs range (some examples here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Search?query=map%20pack&DownloadType=GameAddon)
Don't forget you can use a USB stick or two if you need more space.

Unregistered007 said:
Any known Hardware related issues with the SLIM so far?

Mine (purchased a week ago) gets loud (like, launch 360 loud) periodically when accessing the disc. Odd, since I only noticed it a few days after many play sessions of Halo Reach. No performance issues to report, though.

It really looks sleek as fuck in person. Pictures don't do it justice. Its a great design, imho.

aztrex said:
Mine (purchased a week ago) gets loud (like, launch 360 loud) periodically when accessing the disc. Odd, since I only noticed it a few days after many play sessions of Halo Reach. No performance issues to report, though.

It really looks sleek as fuck in person. Pictures don't do it justice. Its a great design, imho.

I have one, I bought it recently but I just wanted to check if anyone had RRoD Type issues.

Dabanton

Yenrot said:
Do any games FORCE you to install before you play?

No.

I've got to say i got one of these last week and when MS said it was 'whisper quiet' i raised an eyebrow. But it is so bloody quiet. I have mine on at the moment playing Fallout:NV and it is silent. :D

I remember the days pre install when you'd have to put up with that whooshing noise while playing.

Yenrot said:
Do any games FORCE you to install before you play?
Only one game I can think of and that is FFXI since it is a huge mmo. No game on the system outside of that requires or forces you to install anything unless it's a special case or a download title from xbox arcade / games on demand.

Yen

Diablohead said:
Only one game I can think of and that is FFXI since it is a huge mmo. No game on the system outside of that requires or forces you to install anything unless it's a special case or a download title from xbox arcade / games on demand.
Good to know because I'm getting the 4gb and don't want to buy anymore USB sticks or HDDs.

milkham

Finally got that taobaodao hard drive caddy, post office held it for 2 weeks for no reason

5147564562_a471bb88f9_z.jpg

5147564366_2859273705_z.jpg

it is very flimsy plastic, flexes in all kinds of directions, and you'll have to tape it or something to keep the lid on as there are no screw holes or any kind of retention mechanism.

There are 4 little pegs for the hard drive to rest in and some rubber spacers on the lid to hold it down. I haven't tried the fit yet since i held off on buying the arcade (cuz i'm broke)
That dual spring setup is for releasing the locking tab when you pull on the little ribbon to get it out of the 360.

After seeing this, I'm curious what the inside of the official one looks like anyone have any tear down links?

Curufinwe

Bundling Alan Wake as a download is smart as they don't have to print any more discs, don't need to worry about people trading the game in, and it also strongly encourages anyone who gets this bundle to get their 360 online.

parasight

milkham said:
i picked up a slim, cracked open my 120gb drive put it in the taobaodao case and it fits perfectly, works fine

Awesome. Good to hear as I've ordered that same one from DealExtreme. Should be here in a few days.

Nekobo

milkham said:
i picked up a slim, cracked open my 120gb drive put it in the taobaodao case and it fits perfectly, works fine

Since the caddy doesn't use screws, what did you use to keep it closed? Would duct/electric tape work? I just ordered the caddy and I bought a 120GB HD, so I'd appreciate the info.

hwalker84

Unregistered007 said:
Any known Hardware related issues with the SLIM so far?
My first Slim had a Hard Drive issue. Took that one back and the second one Red Ringed(Its not a ring anymore but a dot) in less than a month.

Third one if great.

Chairhome

Odd question: I got the Kinect bundle (250GB) and I thought all new Xbox 360s had a XBL Gold trial card? I couldn't find one in mine :-(

Pooya

Chairhome said:
Odd question: I got the Kinect bundle (250GB) and I thought all new Xbox 360s had a XBL Gold trial card? I couldn't find one in mine :-(
If you create a gamertag on your new console it will be gold for one month, you can do that for up to 3 separate accounts IIRC, you can't turn your existing account into gold this way, this is how it was when I got my console 3 years ago, not sure if it has changed or not, there are no codes/cards in the box.

Chairhome

miladesn said:
If you create a gamertag on your new console it will be gold for one month, you can do that for up to 3 separate accounts IIRC, you can't turn your existing account into gold this way, this is how it was when I got my console 3 years ago, not sure if it has changed or not, there are no codes/cards in the box.
ahhh. I see. Thanks. That sucks :-/

milkham

Nekobo said:
Since the caddy doesn't use screws, what did you use to keep it closed? Would duct/electric tape work? I just ordered the caddy and I bought a 120GB HD, so I'd appreciate the info.

I just used some scotch tape, i think anything will work as long as its not too thick

Pachimari

So I just bought the Xbox 360S+Kinect bundle. I have set it up, first it was standing up but I decided to lie it down after having turned it off. Here's the thing, I thought it was supposed to be extremely silent? Mine is really loud when a disc is running in the drive, is this normal?

Anastacio said:
So I just bought the Xbox 360S+Kinect bundle. I have set it up, first it was standing up but I decided to lie it down after having turned it off. Here's the thing, I thought it was supposed to be extremely silent? Mine is really loud when a disc is running in the drive, is this normal?
I don't think they counted the noise when a disc in in the drive as it's entirely avoidable. That said, most people seem to say that the drive is pretty quiet in the S model.

Of course, it could be that the disc you're using is vibrating because it's not balanced properly (my Forza disc does this, very annoying). If it's the same for all of them then obviously this isn't the case. :)

Anastacio said:
Quiet compared to the old model as a buzz saw is quiet compared to an air hammer, which doesn't mean that a buzz saw doesn't make any sound at all.

Anastacio said:

Install your games and enjoy the silence.

While installing does run it silent my dvd drive on my 250gb S has yet to be louder then the machine at idle, no wurring like the old models do.

Top Bottom