• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG secret WiiU news follow-up Rumor: 3D Mario to launch by October

thefro

what's worrying isn't this christmas, it's what coming after that. 2014 is probably things like mario strikers/golf/tennis or Kirby Boring Land

I don't think X, Bayonetta 2, and Retro's game will all launch this year, so at least one, probably two of those will be out there to look forward to. Plus SMT X Fire Emblem and whatever other secret projects they are working on with 3rd parties. Smash Brothers will be 2014 most likely as well.

Ridley327

If the quality of Sunshine and WW is what they do when rushed...then we'll be ok.

I don't know about you, but I would not be looking forward to more blue coin hunting in a 3D Mario. Fortunately, I would have to believe that a lot of the fundamental gameplay stuff for 3D Mario is already done, which would prevent that from happening.

prag16

Banned
I find the idea of intentionally stopping promotion of the product and/or holding back game launches for 6 months, if true, incredibly odd.

It really doesn't seem wise to just sit back and let a product languish that long on the market and expect it to rebound after an extended period of consumer apathy because you suddenly decide to promote it. If it was ever the new hotness, it certainly won't be come June.

The timing also means Black List is going to tank, so that doesn't bode well.

What? Why would 3D Mario in October cause Splinter Cell (August) to tank?

As for the 3D Mario game itself, I definitely want the Mushroom Kingdom; perhaps a spiritual successor to Mario 64. Galaxy games were fine, but felt too restrictive and corridor-ish.

They saved it against the PSVita, which isn't exactly Ps4/Nextbox w/ full third party support levels of comp....

3d mario, kart and price cut worked out well for the gamecube.... oh wait.

Don't know when the cut happened, but Sunshine was in 2002 and Double Dash was in 2003, not exactly a double whammy of mass market blockbuster Nintendo games for the one holiday to save it, all should've happened at once.

2002 was certainly my highlight of the GC nonetheless, damn, Sunshine, SA2Battle, Sonic Mega Collection, Cel Damage, Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Melee (got the GC in 2002), Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, etc, 2002 was a spectacular year. Man on that alone the GC should sold at new heights, such a shame. :'(

Well it was my year of GC, so that's what matters to me. :)

Pikmin 3 might be awesome. All I want for Wii U is the new 3D Mario and Wind Waker HD. That'll be a good enough holiday for me. There are already enough 3DS games like LttP 2 and Mario & Luigi 4 that I don't even think I'll have time for more than two Wii U games at the end of the year.

Nibel

They'll use the 3DS strategy

Everything with Wii U is exactly how 3DS has been prior to its success - let's see how things will play out

JoeM86

I would be very surprised if we didn't get a Wii U Pokémon Battle Simulator by June next year.

Either that or PokéPark 3 :p

QaaQer

The idea that Nintendo would put out a buggy overpriced unoptimized POS system with virtually no games for the first 10 months because they expected the Nintendo fanbase to buy 5-10 million units without complaint strikes me as very cynical.

But then again, they know their market better than I do.

Quote:
"She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U."

3 shown games (2 delayed launch window titles and a remake) = strong line-up?

Nintendo better have 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, new Metroid, New Zelda, new DK Game and some others all shown this year at e3 and all releasing this year for them to try and save this disaster.

Oh right, because she's going to reveal their unannounced titles and spoil any unexpected release dates before E3, right? Did you skip over the word "including"?

Oh yeah, my bad, they will have only small events at E3. Strange decision, to demo such a big title as 3D Mario on a small booth/event. Nintendo has been giving off this suicidal vibe lately.

They have the same size booths as they do every year. The size of their booth has nothing to do with what direction they're taking their press information in. They're doing early press previews in their booth during the time they would normally have their big press conference. They're doing Nintendo Directs sprinkled throughout the week to tell the public about all the things they're showing the press in person.

We're not losing anything with them not having a typical press conference.

They are still going to E3.

Jesus Christ, how are people still not getting this!?
Not everybody is a huge Nintendo fan.
They can't even get people to understand Wii U is a new console you expect people to understand something as stupid as "Hey guise we'll be at E3 but we won't be at E3!"

JoeM86

What about Snap. Talk about perfect fit.

Snap is possible. Or Ranger Wii U. I could see that working very well on the Wii U rather than the 3DS

It all depends on Creatures Inc. and they have been alternating games each year for a while

Pokémon Ranger (DS) - 2006
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (2008)
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (2009)
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (2010)
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond (2011)

Since then, they did Dream Radar and the Pokédexes, but it leaves a massive gap. They've also posted a lot of job listings for 3D modellers in the past couple of years. This makes me think they're priming a relatively big Wii U game. It could be the Battle Simulator, since Genius Sonority has downsized, or it could be a number of things.

Sendou

They can't even get people to understand Wii U is a new console you expect people to understand something as stupid as "Hey guise we'll be at E3 but we won't be at E3!"

It is more about the case of people not knowing how to read or for some not wanting.

At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3.

First, we decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past.
Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media. Also, I did not speak at last year’s presentation, and I am not planning to speak at these events at the E3 show this year either. Apart from these exclusive events for visitors, we are continuing to investigate ways to deliver information about our games directly to our home audience around the time of E3. We will share more information about them once they have officially been decided.

If after reading that you think Nintendo skips E3 then I have bad news for you.

Pyrokai

In his defense, this is a gaming enthusiast forum. Most people who visit this site probably regularly check video game news, so it is a little surprising something with that big of a headline isn't known yet.

But not in his defense, I guess some people ignore news related to Nintendo completely, good or bad.

Sendou

Snap is possible. Or Ranger Wii U. I could see that working very well on the Wii U rather than the 3DS

Snap with GamePad acting as the camera with ability post your pictures to Miiverse just makes too much sense to me. They could make it a really cool game with some effort.

What? Why would 3D Mario in October cause Splinter Cell (August) to tank?
I meant if it does spur any sort of recovery, it will be too late for Black List, which is supposedly being used as a barometer by third parties.

Also, by the same measure, I don't think anyone should be questioning how sound a business decision cancelling any Wii U Madden port was either.

Thrakier

Sales would skyrocket (from 50k to 500k+) if Mario Kart and a 3D Mario came out this year. It would be the 3DS all over.

Not really. While Mario Kart was strong on the Wii, NSMB had a much bigger impact than the Galay games sales wise. Now with the casuals gone, both games will still sell well, but the impact won't be as huge. Mario Kart and SMS couldn't save the the Gamecube as well, although they still were successfull.

Azure J

You need to be a Nintendo fan to have basic reading comprehension?

They put out a press release/investor's meeting transcript that was combed over for every other bit of information but saying "we will not do a big presentation style event but we will have our things on display and do events around them" is suddenly a hard thing to understand? Nintendo deserves all the shit they're getting for multiple instances of lacking foresight, but let's not get blinded by their shortcomings and go with gut assumptions now.

Re: The topic at hand

I'm really excited for this stuff. Should have been here months ago, but that's neither here nor there. Just make sure that they're the best games they can be and work from there. No use thinking about coulda/woulda/shouda-s right now, just get the content/software train rolling.

Meelow

Banned
No can be surprised by this news, right?? Iwata himself said that there will be a new 3D mario at E3 and it makes sense for them to launch it this year.

What everyone is shocked by is it might release before November, everyone assumed a November/December launch for 3D Mario.

Instro

is the spring update the recent one?

cause i saw a youtube video stopwatching load times of that compared to pre-update, and while improved, it was still pretty horrible (like, certain menu selections might take 20 seconds to load now instead of 25, better but still awful)
Its definitely much faster than that, the update dropped those times to at least a 3rd of what they were. Not that it is now amazing or anything but its much much better.

JoeM86

Its definitely much faster than that, the update dropped those times to at least a 3rd of what they were. Not that it is now amazing or anything but its much much better.

Loads everything faster than my 360 and PS3, so I'm happy with the Spring Update.

How can a launch game save a system? How would a 3D mario not help the system? And why in the world are there so many people around here that think a singular game makes or breaks a system. The 'killer app' is dead. A 'healthy ecosystem' is what is needed. Nintendo doesn't need one amazing game. They need their whole lineup.

The only killer app left in the whole gaming industry is Mario Kart and rumors point to a release this year for the Wii U.

Slayven

Retailers won't like a system that is wasting valuable retail space, a system that the makers are not even comfortable advertising.

People who say "If NSMBU couldn't do much, then nothing will" are just being downright dumb. NSMBU will go on to be one of the best-selling games on the console - It's very much an evergreen title, compared to a Fifa or COD, which people typically rush to buy on Day One. It is NOT the type of game that makes people say "I would pay £250-£300 and buy a Wii U to play this", however brilliant it may be. Sure, some people will still be early adopters, but this is true for EVERY GAMES CONSOLE EVER RELEASED - The launch has been fine, at least, it's done as well as it could've done in the current climate and in Nintendo's current circumstances. The reality is that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are presented with very different challenges. In many cases, when people have picked/will pick up a Wii U for whatever games caught their attention, they will still most probably look at NSMBU and play it, because it's a part of its library, or on their "must play list" for the console. Had it been released later on, as NSMB2 on 3DS was, more people might have picked one up for that game, but there would be others in its library at that stage, so it's easier because there are more/sufficient numbers of incentives for them to bite. 3D Mario, however, IS the type of game that will encourage more people to bite - it represents a step above the previous console generation, so buyers will see and understand better why they're paying more to own or upgrade to the new one. Case in point? See the 3DS - SM3DLand and Mario Kart 7 helped it to become the fastest-selling console of all-time. Animal Crossing: New Leaf saw more 3DS units fly off the shelves in Japan, and it's still to reach Europe and North American shores. Pretty sure I read that Fire Emblem: Awakening sold out in North America, too. I could go on... But my point, made numerous times on here is that writing the Wii U off before Nintendo have even played their hand of cards is both totally preposterous and bizarre.

People who say "If NSMBU couldn't do much, then nothing will" are just being downright dumb. NSMBU will go on to be one of the best-selling games on the console - It's very much an evergreen title, compared to a Fifa or COD, which people typically rush to buy on Day One. It is NOT the type of game that makes people say "I would pay £250-£300 and buy a Wii U to play this". In many cases, when people have picked up a Wii U for whatever games caught their attention, they will still most probably look at NSMBU and play it, because it's a part of its library, or on their "must play list" for the console. Had it been released later on, as NSMB2 on 3DS was, more people might have picked one up for that game, but there would be others in its library at that stage, so it's easier for them to bite. 3D Mario, however, IS they type of game that will encourage more people to bite - it represents a step above the previous console generation, so buyers will see and understand better why they're paying more to own or upgrade to the new one. Case in point? See the 3DS - SM3DLand and Mario Kart 7 helped it to become the fastest-selling console of all-time. Animal Crossing: New Leaf saw more 3DS units fly off the shelves in Japan, and it's still to reach Europe and North American shores. Pretty sure I read that Fire Emblem: Awakening sold out in North America, too. I could go on... But my point, made numerous times on here is that writing the Wii U off before Nintendo have even played their hand of cards is both totally preposterous and bizarre.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Effect

It's been said many times before. The New Super Mario Bros series does sell more overall. However it has the benefit of releasing when the user base is established. 3D Mario doesn't sell as much but it's a system seller for the early adopter and more hardcore crowd. Which is why when people talk about launching a system (bought by early adopters and the more hardcore) with Mario game they mean 3D Mario ever since Mario 64. This is why people called BS on Reggie when he complained. He and Nintendo know full well what is meant by "launch a system with a Mario game". People are specifically talking about 3D Mario. That moves units.

Did people here even look at Nintendo's latest financial report? You guys keep saying the NSMB games only sell well with a large fanbase but NSMBU has sold around 2 million copies! On a console with a userbase of slightly under 3 million! How is selling to roughly 66% of the fanbase in any way no an incredible feat? Especially for a non pack-in game?

mooseman

I'd like to see Nintendo make a Mario challenges app similar to the Rayman app. They could do something similar for several of their games to promote them a few months before release. They could do that for Animal Crossing (fishing tournaments, etc), Metroid (speed runs, kill so many metroids in a certain time frame), and the list goes on and on. It would be great to do something like this to really push the online of the Wii U.

Did people here even look at Nintendo's latest financial report? You guys keep saying the NSMB games only sell well with a large fanbase but NSMBU has sold around 2 million copies! On a console with a userbase of slightly under 3 million! How is selling to roughly 66% of the fanbase in any way no an incredible feat? Especially for a non pack-in game?

BTW, was there a breakdown of how much of that was digital? I forget.

I'd like to see Nintendo make a Mario challenges app similar to the Rayman app. They could do something similar for several of their games to promote them a few months before release. They could do that for Animal Crossing (fishing tournaments, etc), Metroid (speed runs, kill so many metroids in a certain time frame), and the list goes on and on. It would be great to do something like this to really push the online of the Wii U.

They could've just used the same challenge mode already in NSMBU, just online like the Challenge App I suppose.

Blades64

Banned

Exactly. NSMBU is here to stay.

It's not a system seller though, and that's what everyone is talking about. 3D Mario is definitely a system seller so it would be good of it comes out in October for real. NSMBU will just benefit from those system sales as well...

prag16

Banned
I meant if it does spur any sort of recovery, it will be too late for Black List, which is supposedly being used as a barometer by third parties.

Gotcha. We could use Watch Dogs, Batman, and AC4 as barometers. Though I guess the "issue" there is they're competing too directly with Nintendo's Q4 offerings...

3D Mario and Mario kart launching by the end of 2013?

Quite predictable move, I'm looking forward to knowing more by the way.

...but if the NSMB line couldn't save the Wii U, I doubt this will.

Acually I reckon NSMB has performed quite decently overall, considering it's a launch game.

Its actually just OVER 3 million, but this couldn't be any truer

Not only that, but Trine 2: Director's Cut performed better on the Wii U than a combined user base of circa 140 million consoles, while Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed has, by some distance, the highest sale - user base ratio on the Wii U, while in terms of units, it's performed just as well as the others. These points aren't stressed enough to "third parties" when they make bullshit excuses.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's been said many times before. The New Super Mario Bros series does sell more overall. However it has the benefit of releasing when the user base is established. 3D Mario doesn't sell as much but it's a system seller for the early adopter and more hardcore crowd. Which is why when people talk about launching a system (bought by early adopters and the more hardcore) with Mario game they mean 3D Mario ever since Mario 64. This is why people called BS on Reggie when he complained. He and Nintendo know full well what is meant by "launch a system with a Mario game". People are specifically talking about 3D Mario. That moves units.

There's truth here, and it's often misunderstood by a lot of observers.

There's a balance necessary between software to both expand and sustain a platform. Not every game has to be a system seller - many games will sell a nearly infinite amount to an already established userbase.

But generally, I think the pattern could go like this:

- titles with hardcore appeal required to grow initial userbase
- with large enough base, platform becomes noticed by mainstream
- start putting out sustaining titles to create a robust library
- mainstream begins buying in, and pushes sales of appealing titles
- hardcore titles don't have to sell as much as mainstream titles, their work is done
- but a steady stream of hardcore titles do cause hardware bumps every time they're released
- so wash rinse repeat

All that said it'll be really interesting to see what the next 3D Mario is like post-3D Land. Because 3D Land's sales curve seems to be approaching 2D Mario levels, something about that game really hit a sweet spot. Could be significant if 3D Land has convinced a lot of people to check out 3D Mario who previously didn't think they could play the 3D games.

Daingurse

This should get a lot more core gamers on board. Not me though, don't give a shit about Mario, never have and probably never will. Where is my next-gen Sonic announcement!

We have only received lies!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
All we need to replicate 3DS in 2011 is a Monster Hunter 4 HD announcement. Come onnn

Top Bottom