• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG secret WiiU news follow-up Rumor: 3D Mario to launch by October

It's been pretty obvious for a while now that this was their response.

Games that were scheduled earlier - both first- and third-party - have been moved to the back end of the year, advertising has been largely halted, they've been meeting with retailers to discuss plans (presumably for a relaunch of sorts) and waiting out the financial year.

They've made a tactical decision to suffer this early mess and load the back-end of the year with games and fresh advertising to push a soft relaunch. Is it a good idea? We'll find out soon enough.

EDIT:

It's soooo much like the 3DS, it's astonishing. Device pushed out early, without key games, apparently priced a bit too high for the market, and with an OS/apps in progress.

Quote:
"She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U."

3 shown games (2 delayed launch window titles and a remake) = strong line-up?

Nintendo better have 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, new Metroid, New Zelda, new DK Game and some others all shown this year at e3 and all releasing this year for them to try and save this disaster.

You, special little sausage, are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Do not be shocked if X is release this year in Japan..

It's been 3 years since Xenoblade was released here...

Can anyone be even remotely surprised by this?

I've long said 3D Mario for September/October, Mario Kart for November/December.
I am. I mean, Nintendo are no strangers to delaying games. They've bent the truth to their shareholders over expectations so I guess they might as well bend the truth to customers over release dates. If it's just Galaxy 3, then I suppose I can see it happening. But is Galaxy 3 really going to be the killer app for the touch pad?

Sendou

I am. I mean, Nintendo are no strangers to delaying games so that's nothing new. They've bent the truth to their shareholders over expectations so I guess they might as well bend the truth to customers. If it's just Galaxy 3, then I suppose I can see it happening. But is Galaxy 3 really going to be the killer app for the touch pad?

Is the sequel to the best game ever a killer app? I don't know. Might be for some. Certainly it's the last of its kind.

Didn't Nintendo cancel their E3 show?

Noooooooooo.

They're attending E3, pushing out special Directs, making presentations to media/retailers and having demos for play. The only thing they're not doing, as far as I can see, is running a live conference.

August: Pikmin 3 / Wii Party U
September: The Wonderful 101 / Wii Fit U
October: Super Mario Universe / The Wind Waker HD
November: Mario Kart 8 / Retro's Game
December: Pokemon Stadium 3 / X

Bold = Japan only in 2013.

Believe.

Is the sequel to the best game ever a killer app? I don't know. Might be for some. Certainly it's the last of its kind.
Well it depends what you're looking for in a Mario. Some argued that Galaxy didn't really use the pointer much, and that the hand holding the nunchuck often felt bored.

To me I kind of expect any Nintendo title in the second wave to be really making a good argument for why I paid for a tablet controller.
They are still going to E3.

Jesus Christ, how are people still not getting this!?
Reggie: It's a new console not an accessory for the Wii. Jesus Christ, how are people still not getting this!?

*skips E3* Because addressing the press and public isn't important.

Terra

If the rumors are true, and the Mario game delivers like galaxy 1 and 2, it will be amazing. Let's just hope that it is not being rushed.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm very interested in a 3D Mario that isn't hampered by PS2-level hardware. Sure, it's basically PS3-level hardware but it could be really awesome to see a Mario game more like 64 on current gen hardware. I feel like they could do a lot with it.

Deband

Its not bonkers. They sell devices through software. Promote the software when its out.
Whats the point in promoting it right now? Theres not much.

If Nintendo want 'momentum' they need good word of mouth. So you want sales after the updates.

They have new hardware out. They should be promoting it right now.

TimmiT

I feel like that if it'd launch in October, it'd be revealed already. CVG also isn't a very trustworthy site, as they have deliberately misquoted people in the past.

Hiltz

I think we'll see Yoshi's Epic Yarn also released in 2013. A game like that probably needs 2 years of dev team. Good Feel probably has Hal Laboratory assisting them on it like it did for Kirby's Epic Yarn. Hard to say about Bayonetta 2 when Wonderful 101 wasn't able to make it out by spring, but Nintendo's teased us twice about it so far.

jaosobno

They are still going to E3.

Jesus Christ, how are people still not getting this!?

Oh yeah, my bad, they will have only small events at E3. Strange decision, to demo such a big title as 3D Mario on a small booth/event. Nintendo has been giving off this suicidal vibe lately.

wsippel

Banned
Are they saying they don't want new customers to experience how bad the OS supposedly is? Not that I've experienced it, so I can't say how it is one way or the other
That seems to be the case. The whole thing was rushed as hell, and the OS was pretty terrible. So bad in fact that you had to unplug the power cord when it locked up, which happened pretty often. It's still not perfect by any means, but it's a lot better than the slow, buggy mess it used to be.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not really surprising that 3D Mario will launch this year- only surprising part is coming before November.

Is this the same outlet/reporter that wrote the article a week or so ago about hearing Nintendo had stellar games coming out that would revitalize the platform?

Sendou

Oh yeah, my bad, they will have only small events at E3. Strange decision, to demo such a big title as 3D Mario on a small booth/event. Nintendo gives out this suicidal vibe lately.

3D Mario will debut on a Nintendo Direct that will be held before the E3 starts.

Then it will be playable at the showfloor. On top of this Nintendo holds a special event for the press where they let the press play their showfloor games (and probably have devs there as well as PR people). Then they'll also have an event for retailers with information that is relevant to them.

Point the suicidal part.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Would love to see 3D Mario this year as long as it's ready. Really curious how they how they will try to top Galaxy/2.

Oh yeah, my bad, they will have only small events at E3. Strange decision, to demo such a big title as 3D Mario on a small booth/event. Nintendo has this suicidal vibe lately.

The live conference was never the most significant part of E3 in terms of showing games off. The show floor and meetings with the games media are more important in that regard, and they're still doing that.

Dropping the extravagant conference in favor of Nintendo Directs and retailer/media specific events is an extremely minor change that has been overblown.

Westlo

They saved the 3DS with 3D Mario, Mario Kart and a price cut. Two of them are already coming.

They saved it against the PSVita, which isn't exactly Ps4/Nextbox w/ full third party support levels of comp....

3d mario, kart and price cut worked out well for the gamecube.... oh wait.

That'd be awesome.
And I think it would be smart move of Nintendo to hold back some megatons till the E3 time.
When Sony and MS are dropping their megatons Nintendo should be able to compete.

Its gonna be a close call on christmas, if the Ps4 and Xbox3 are up against Bayonett2, 3D Mario U, Mario Kart U, Zelda HD Remake U.
On a console that costs about half as much as the other two.

Not really surprising that 3D Mario will launch this year- only surprising part is coming before November.

Is this the same outlet/reporter that wrote the article a week or so ago about hearing Nintendo had stellar games coming out that would revitalize the platform?
Give third parties room to breathe for once? Y'know the Ubisoft and Activision title/s... smart move if you ask me.

Sendou

They saved it against the PSVita, which isn't exactly Ps4/Nextbox w/ full third party support levels of comp....

3d mario, kart and price cut worked out well for the gamecube.... oh wait.

Why are you mad? He simply stated he would wish that the Wii U was saved like the 3DS was saved. I simply told him how the 3DS was saved and made the connection to how similiar it is to Q3-4 2013 Wii U.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Give third parties room to breathe for once? Y'know the Ubisoft and Activision title/s... smart move if you ask me.

You know, this is heresy around here, but the Wii U lineup from August onwards could be pretty damn good.

Reggie: It's a new console not an accessory for the Wii. Jesus Christ, how are people still not getting this!?

*skips E3* Because addressing the press and public isn't important.

...they're not skipping E3.

Didn't they try that with the 3DS launch, though? And we all know how that went.

Rocky

Banned
Would love to see 3D Mario this year as long as it's ready. Really curious how they how they will try to top Galaxy/2.

For me, the way they can top the Galaxy games is to make the next 3D Mario NOT a Galaxy game and more like 64 and Sunshine.

I REALLLLLLLLY want a newer/refreshed artsytle.

If it looks like SMG2 via Dolphin then I'm gonna take a TON of convincing.

I find the idea of intentionally stopping promotion of the product and/or holding back game launches for 6 months, if true, incredibly odd.

It really doesn't seem wise to just sit back and let a product languish that long on the market and expect it to rebound after an extended period of consumer apathy because you suddenly decide to promote it. If it was ever the new hotness, it certainly won't be come June.

The timing also means Black List is going to tank, so that doesn't bode well.

Effect

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ts-wii-u-resurgence-with-3d-mario-by-october/

Take with giant grains of salt and feed me to the Pikmin if old.

If true Wii U's second half of the year could feature, at least:
-New Super Luigi DLC
-Pikmin 3
-The Wonderful 101
-Wii Party U
-Wii Fit U
-LoZ: Wind Waker HD
-Mario 3D

This is at least 1 first party game a month until the end of the year (between July/August), short of any 'surprises'.

Personally I don't see the point in releasing Wii Party U with Mario Party 3DS being released. No is going to buy a Wii U for Wii Party but they might be one after ward. The key this holiday is to get people to buy the Wii U. Wii Fit U would have better luck but it really depends on it's features.

In fact I think they might be better unveiling something new to try and get the casual buyer interested in the system and try to pitch Wii Party and Wii Fit the next game they should buy.

I also wont' be surprised if Monolith Soft's RPG is released in Japan this holiday. I only would be okay with that if whatever Retro Studios is working on is released in the west first. At the moment X is my most wanted game period.

I never thought we'd get both 3D Mario and Mario Kart in the same year. That only happen on the 3DS because Retro was called in to do all of the retro stages. Otherwise it wouldn't have been done in time and I doubt they Nintendo wants to pull them off of what they are doing. For all we know that could be why we still haven't seen what Retro is doing because that might have taken away just enough people to slow the project down. Also that's to much overkill. Mario Kart is a huge title and it might be better to make that one of the lead holiday games next year.

Top Bottom