• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January PS+ update includes Grim Fandango Remastered and Hardware: Rivals on PS4

Varth

White tiger? We've had tons of them the past few months!

Less-than-ideal pacing in the releases, I concede that, but you don't have necessarily to play them as they get released. And crowding the few ones around in 4 months straight doesn't change the fact that it's a niche of a niche. The same way, if they put a FPS or a open world adventure on ICG that doesn't change that it's the most abused genres around.

Vashetti

Banned
Dragon Age is good I guess, considering I was thinking of picking it up.

Nice that I have an SSD in my PS3 so that should help with load times and maybe performance.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Have Grim on PC, and it was way too obtuse for its own good. Another month where I won't play any of the games. Oh well.

Mifune

Mehmber
I already have Grim but that's a nice get for those who don't.

Hardware: Rivals could be fun. Rocket League was shit upon when it was announced for PS+ before folks played it, too.

GodofWine

Rocket League was shit upon when it was announced for PS+ before folks played it, too.

Was it, I thought the beta drove the games hype through the roof and we were all ready to toss $20 at it, heck, psyonix was going to back out of PS+ deal and sell it, then Sony upped their offer to keep it a PS+ game.

Liberty4all

Banned

Hardware: Rivals could be fun. Rocket League was shit upon when it was announced for PS+ before folks played it, too.

It is. I played in the beta and it was a blast. There is a lot of skill involved in learning how to drive while aiming with your turret/guns. I killed so many people while "running" from them but unloading my weapons into them. Your view will always follow the way your turret is aiming, so you have to learn to drive straight even when your view is not facing the way your car is going.

Believe me this leads to some spectacular crashes too haha. Usually followed by missles/machinegun fire/laser/etc turning you into a smoking ruin.

edit: to clarify ... graphics won't blow you away, game is not going to win any GOTY awards. With that said it's fun and the price is perfect. Also it has legs, I suspect there will be a hardcore community that develops around it - not as large as say Rocket League, but a decent size. There is a certain sub community of gamers that love their battle car racer type games and currently we are lacking in that department.

Lemondish

That's because people love to shit on Plus and they don't want things like quality or fun to get in the way of a good rage.

Mifune

Mehmber
Was it, I thought the beta drove the games hype through the roof and we were all ready to toss $20 at it, heck, psyonix was going to back out of PS+ deal and sell it, then Sony upped their offer to keep it a PS+ game.

That thread was full of the usual shit-tier-PS+ complaints. Only the handful of people in the know were like, hey wait guys this game is actually great.

Luq

Grim makes me happy, Hardware: Rivals - I won't bother, but it should find its audience. Decent month overal for all platforms ;)

Grim is a classic in my book so I'll download that, haven't been impressed with the hardware rivals beta footage, thought it looked a bit shit to be honest

A bit of slim pickings for me this month. I'm not too keen on the PS3 games and not sure about Hardware: Rivals yet. It could prove to be fun for a while, haven't played a vehicular combat game in ages. I don't suppose it has split screen, does it? Grim Fandango is just great though. I still have the original lying around here somewhere on PC CD-Rom, but it's completely in German, so this will be my first time playing it in English. :)

1er tigre

So they get one year to bring the games catalog on PS4 up to where the PS3 version of PS+ arrived in two years, after the system had been on the market building a library sans-PS+ for four years before that. But hey, you waited the first year so I guess that means you're the patient one and not the standard "internet people complain about everything" guy right?

Wrong.

And again, try to understand the actual point of what I'm saying. The gap between a game's release and the game hitting PS+ is only one small factor in the equation, and entirely dependent on various other factors. Late in the PS3 generation it became relatively easy to pick up even ~1-2 year old releases for PS+ because the market was saturated in every sense. Any interested parties owned a PS3 or X360. Any interested parties bought your game within the first quarter of release or else it was generally lost under successive waves of additional releases. That is how late generation software sales work. The industry hits it's stride and starts publishing higher quantities of games in each of the respective quarters and only the biggest, most noteworthy IPs can see any kind of sales carry into the second quarter from release, let alone a full year later. Early in a generation that is not the case and games, especially games with DLC loaded GOTY editions, see continued sales for multiple quarters following release.

Publishers have an all time low incentive level to put games on PS+ now. As a result Sony has far less leverage to bargain with. Instead of blowing their wad on one big AAA game and having to go cheap for months afterwards they hit the digital only scene hard and deliver there. The only "trend" here is Sony's PS+ team trying to maximize game quality within their fixed limits.

Yes, less calendar congestion. For starters Tomb Raider was sent to die because it was exclusive to a distant second platform when the majority of it's historical audience are either on Playstation or PC. Second, just because the holiday season is loaded doesn't mean all the other quarters are. A game like Tomb Raider can have shit sales at release early in the generation and Square Enix can try to make it up in the relatively empty next few months for Xbox One releases. By the back half of a generation however 3rd parties are filling all four quarters of the release calendar and if a game doesn't hit at release it's unlikely to ever do so.

And this is why we 're seeing all of these $10-$15 sales. Publishers are squeezing every last retail/direct sale penny they can out of the market before going to things like PS+ or Humble Bundle. Likely because 2016 is stacked from Q1 to Q4 on the PS4 and PC. The warming up period of this generation is coming to a close in 2016 so there has been a mad dash to sell as many units as possible now prior to early generation titles falling into retail bargain bins and (you guessed it) monthly PS+ offerings.

A follow up is only one factor in helping a game make it to PS+. The typical reason is that it is the last avenue for profits the publisher is left with. This was the case with Binary Domain, DmC, etc.. Their retail sales potential was exhausted so Capcom took some PS+ money for each to pad their profit margins. Currently they're better served slow playing PS4 releases knowing they have years of PSN and Steam sales to chip away various layers of interested consumers before giving up and going PS+. Late in the generation when the "store" is about to "close" they respond differently.

I like how the counter to the reality of software publishing within fixed generations is so easily hand waved in favor of "nope, all of Sony's various regional PS+ coordinators are both lazy and greedy!"
Honestly, this is bullshit. Can you explain why your reasoning didn't apply for psvita ? The PS+ service launched with Uncharted golden abyss and Gravity Rush (among other games) then in the months following,there were mortal kombat, metal Gear HD collection, rayman origins, Ninja Gaiden sigma, street fighter x tekken, etc. In addition, Gravity Rush and Uncharted were available to download for 18 months. Not one month, EIGHTEEN !
Besides, do you really think games like batman arkham city, Tomb raider or bioshock infinite were selling worse after one year than games like alien isolation, the evil within or wolfenstein the New order nowadays ? You cannot be serious...

Persona7

Banned
I feel like a lot of people are going to play Grim Fandango for like 8 minutes and then never touch it again like I did earlier this year when I played it.

i have no idea how I beat it when I was a kid

Top Bottom