• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January PS+ update includes Grim Fandango Remastered and Hardware: Rivals on PS4

For a while, PS+ offered new downloadable game for "free" on Day 1 and that was great, but these days it seems like it's mostly games that have been on sale for dirt cheap already. Not really exciting.

They still do almost every month. Hardware Rivals is PS+ on release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grim Fandango is really nice but this is the first month in a while where the Vita list has let me down. The Vita offerings on PS+ are usually the best of the bunch.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
They still do almost every month. Hardware Rivals is PS+ on release.

Woops, my bad then! The day one games must not have interested me so I assumed they were older releases.

I remember being ecstatic at getting OlliOlli 2 for "free" earlier this year though!

Petrae

Full list

Hardware: Rivals (PS4)
Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4)
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
Nihilumbra (PS Vita)
Legends of War: Patton (PS Vita)

ohh boy.. :( even I can't defend this

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...id=682237257487548416&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

...and the future refused to change.

I keep hoping that Sony will convince me to want to spend $50 to renew come March, but that hope has been ebbing for months now.

Those PS3 offerings are a sneaky way of saying, "It's time to upgrade, you lazy bastards!"

kevin1025

Banned
Warfighter I've nearly bought a few times for 5 bucks, so that one's okay with me. But otherwise, as someone who almost always defends the list every month since they're "free", ouch. This is a rotten month (as someone who owns Dragon Age and Grim Fandango, at least). Give us LittleBigPlanet Vita or something, there are still major games to give out on the handheld.

Varth

...and as always, the AAA stuff is the turd of the bunch.

full disclosure: I had quite a lot of fun with Warfighter MP on PS3, janky and shitty as it was. Even got the Platinum. Guess online's dead by now, though.

At least they didn't pull an invizimals and give us the psp version of the patton game

I'd take some PSP games if this is what they have left for Vita PS+.

PSP has lots of great games that people have probably forgot existed.

Edit. Wait. Legends of War IS a psp game? LOL. Bloody hell Sony. Thats the saddest shit

*googles Nihilumbra*

Plus a 9/10 Steam score.

Fair enough.

It's a pretty fun puzzle/platformer. A cool look and theme, plus a smart difficulty curve that continues to introduce new mechanics and keeps you using the rest. It's very clearly made by a super small team by themselves, but I really enjoyed it. They did a lot with a little.

I did play it on Vita too. Tried it before bed about 6 months ago and ended up playing only that for a week.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I always heard that Grim Fandango was one of the finest Lucasarts PC adventure games. I'll take that. No 2D platformers on PS4 this month, rejoice!

Edit: It's true that PS+ is garbage now though. That's what happens when they get you to pay for multiplayer.

I would take The Order, Killzone, and even Knack over the games we've been getting. Though ideally there are many other AAA games I'd prefer.

Why? Those are all games that really aren't that good. Why folks prefer AAA games despite how good they are rather than a generally good game is beyond me.

zakujanai

Definitely not renewing plus when it expires this time. I'm paying for multiplayer I don't use and nothing else. I'm not bitter, I had a good few years of games with plus.

Its sad to see how Plus has changed. I used to have Plus for the awesome offerings. Now I rarely even download the free games but have to have Plus for Multiplayer. That's the gaming business, though. I love indies so I'm not even talking about just wanting AAA titles. Terraria PS4 Edition would have been nice.

Definitely not renewing plus when it expires this time. I'm paying for multiplayer I don't use and nothing else. I'm not bitter, I had a good few years of games with plus.

I don't want free games at all. I just buy what I want anyway. I only want multiplayer so I can play online sometimes.

PS+ should be tiered, so people who want free games can pay $50 and I can pay the $10 for something that should be free anyway. Sadly, there's no incentive for them to not make me pay $50 for stuff I don't want, though.

PS+ for PS4 has been a total scam compared to PS3. Total waste of money so far. They're back peddaling to make us pay for online with almost zilch in return. Rocket League was a fluke.

They haven't so much as put their own launch AAA games up that are dead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Goddamn, if it weren't for online I'd have unsubbed months ago and wouldn't have missed out.

Remember when we had Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 2, or even Dust: An Elysian Tail and Valiant Hearts? Sigh.

Even funnier is people calling for open world Ubi stuff or FPS, litteraly the epitome of the daily soup, "for variety" over a fucking adventure game. A genre that's basically a white tiger, even more so on consoles.
White tiger? We've had tons of them the past few months!

I don't want more remastered p-a-c adventure games, but that doesn't mean I want Ubi shit either. The last + game I played was Styx and that's a July offering.

I guess I still haven't tried Gauntlet or Magicka 2 though, those might be fun...

Elitist1945

PS+ for PS4 has been a total scam compared to PS3. Total waste of money so far. They're back peddaling to make us pay for online with almost zilch in return. Rocket League was a fluke.

Well they could have made us pay for online and give us nothing in return. That sounds a tad worse than it is now.

Illucio

Banned
1st World Problems:

EVERY INDIE GAME I BUY BECOMES PS+ FREE GAME OF THE MONTH!

I should stop buying indie games and just wait until they're free...

weekev

Banned
Good ps3 selection. Anyone know if Nihilumbra or Legends of War are cross buy? I dont even know if they are also on PS4.

Liberty4all

Banned
Pumped about Hardware Rivals. I played a bunch of it in the beta, it was pretty fun.

Great weapons and I love the vehicle handling. Games not going to win any critical awards or anything but it's got hours of multiplayer car pew pew fun to be had. Map design was pretty cool in the beta ... On one map there is this big temple pyramid with a sniper weapon at the top, You get your car parked up there and can take out enemy players. In Free for all it's pretty scary when every car on the map starts climbing the pyramid determined to kill you lol

All maps also have a "everyone dies" event that can be triggered giving you about 15 seconds to make it to a designated safe area on the map. Love the panic feeling of burning metal to try to make it to safety while at the same time somebody behind you is opening fire on you while ALSO burning metal to try to make it to the safe location.

As you play you learn quickly how to rotate your turret while driving at the same time. I became the king of driving forward while shooting backwards, for example.

I think that Hardware Rivals will surprise you guys, I only got a week in before the beta ended but I REALLY liked the game. Definitely worth the price of "free".

KRaZyAmmo

nothing for me, but I'm willing to try Grim Fandango Remastered and Hardware Rivals. Can someone tell what's the premise of Hardware Rivals?

oggob

The only concern is the Patton game, it is not available in Australia or New Zealand, nor a few other stores I would imagine, so wonder if we will get a replacement...

Or will the holiday season time mean they are a touch more lax in offering alternates....

I have nothing against the lineup, there are a few titles I don't have and would end up playing.

A scam implies that you are being decieved, rather than just continually paying money for something you don't like.

Top Bottom