• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaser

Finished Hamsun's "Growth of the Soil" a little over a week ago. Very, very good. A story about Isak, a simple, hardworking force-of-nature kind of man and how he makes himself a home and develops it over a lifetime. Beautiful language - sparse and effective, saying very much with very little. A calm, sure, strengthening book.

Then, last week, I read C. J. Sansom's "Dark Fire". The second book about the hunchbacked, 16th century, London-based attorney Matthew Shardlake. A treat for fans of Eco's "Name of the Rose" or other historical fiction. Thoroughly researched and believable with a stunning sense of "being there", and full of action, suspense and twists from start to finish.

Right now, another Hamsun epic: "Wayfarers". The first in the "August"-trilogy. Centers around August, a young Norwegian adventurer. A lying, generous, talented, scatterbrained, boasting, charming, enigmatic guy - makes huge plans one after another, succeeding and failing equally, always scheming with something new. A fun, interesting and still sometimes very dark book. I'm halfway through and love it.

GriffD17

thomaser said:
Finished Hamsun's "Growth of the Soil" a little over a week ago. Very, very good. A story about Isak, a simple, hardworking force-of-nature kind of man and how he makes himself a home and develops it over a lifetime. Beautiful language - sparse and effective, saying very much with very little. A calm, sure, strengthening book.

Right now, another Hamsun epic: "Wayfarers". The first in the "August"-trilogy. Centers around August, a young Norwegian adventurer. A lying, generous, talented, scatterbrained, boasting, charming, enigmatic guy - makes huge plans one after another, succeeding and failing equally, always scheming with something new. A fun, interesting and still sometimes very dark book. I'm halfway through and love it.

I've assumed you've read "Hunger". I picked that up and read it probably in February if I remember correctly. Pretty short read. Unfortunately I think I picked up a less than stellar translation But bah gawd I liked the cover art.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
American-Gods-A-Novel-Neil_2F24A649.jpg

loving it so far

Masked Man

I said wow
Supposed to be reading this for class:
1073-1-b.jpg

Shotaro Ishinomori - Japan Inc.: Introduction to Japanese Economics
(Yes, it's an economics manga. Yes, I'm kind of excited.)

Reading this for my own pleasure:
confessions_of_a_mask.large.jpg

Mishima Yukio - Confessions of a Mask
(SO. FUCKING. GOOD. I discovered Mishima not too long ago and immediately fell in love with him. I've watched some interviews, flipped through the Bara Kei photo series, and watched the 1985 biographical film, but this is the first of his works that I've read. I'm about 180/245 right now, and I hope to finish it either tonight or tomorrow. I think I love him even more now. <333)

thomaser

GriffD17 said:
I've assumed you've read "Hunger". I picked that up and read it probably in February if I remember correctly. Pretty short read. Unfortunately I think I picked up a less than stellar translation But bah gawd I liked the cover art.

Yes, I read it a couple of years ago, together with Mysteries, Pan and Victoria. Loved Hunger and Mysteries, the other two not so much. Those earlier works are very different from his later ones. The early ones feel agitated and nervous, while the later books feel more natural and assured and have a much greater scope. I'm lucky enough to read them in the original language, which probably adds a lot!

nitewulf

Blackace said:
I loved the series but it had some flaws...

like going to the edge of the earth for no fucking reason, the travel took up a whole book of a trilogy
you have to admit, the journey was enjoyable and fleshed out the characters a lot more, specially jezal...and you get to know ninefingers a lot better, which is good cause he is a kick ass character. even so, he has other flaws as well, i thought the dialogue was the weakest point of the series, you could tell abercrombie is a novice writer. everybody is grunting, grinning or making other faces all the time, some of it just cliche and amateurish. he could have cut out so much of that BS and just told the story. but even so, i have to admit, his characterization is gritty and he went above and beyond to make the characters as opposite to the norm as possible, in that he also fell into some predictability, ie, "he is trying too hard now", but it was different and tight, i loved it.

Basch

Finished the Gunslinger yesterday. Thought it was really good. I liked the first two parts a lot. The third was pretty good, until it got bogged down with too many descriptions of the same old. There's only so much "At third wake" I can take. lol The fourth part spiced the story up a bit, had an unexpected ending, but made me hate the main character. Lost my desire to read. Thankfully, I sucked it up and continued reading. The fifth part was really good. A bit confusing thanks to The Man in Black, but surprisingly beautiful at the same time. While we get some answers in this opening volume, there are far too many questions that drown out any sense of accomplishment. That was a long story for a whole lot of nothing, but I liked it. Excited for the next book. Hopefully, King learns to structure he sentences a bit better for the next installment.

Jumped back to The Furies of Calderon earlier today. I'm loving this book a lot more. Seems like we finally got to the good stuff. I found it hard to read one of the chapters, because I felt the scene needed a little more background. Still, very good stuff. Especially the part where
Tavi meets Amara for the first time, and the following chapter where Kord and his boys attack Isana while she tries to tend to Bernard.
I found those chapters to be amazingly well written. Kept me on the edge of my seat. 300 some pages to go.

Poolman

Banned
I'm starting Harry Potter today...
I never did get into the books, but today is a new day.

When does Hermione start getting hot? Emma Watson <3

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
mr stroke said:
Holy shit I didn't know the game was based of a book :eek:

It's based on a series of books, they're slowly being translated from Polish. As far as light fantasy fare goes, they're not bad at all.

51B358TM72L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Waiting for this to arrive.

Also, rereading

51YPXJWRBGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Which is sort of comfort food for me.

i just finished all of the Song of Ice and Fire books and now i feel like i have a huge hole in my life that wont be filled for many years to come :(

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
Anybody here check this book out? I thought the concept sounded cool, talking about crazy events that NOBODY saw coming that changed the way people think. But I'm early into it and it just comes off as sooo preachy and annoying. He goes off on how the way people think today is wrong and the way the country works right now will never prevent another event like 9-11 (ugh he just won't get off of 9-11). I'll stick with it for a while more though since people whose opinion I respect say it's worth reading and I still like the premise.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sykoex said:
Anybody here check this book out? I thought the concept sounded cool, talking about crazy events that NOBODY saw coming that changed the way people think. But I'm early into it and it just comes off as sooo preachy and annoying. He goes off on how the way people think today is wrong and the way the country works right now will never prevent another event like 9-11 (ugh he just won't get off of 9-11). I'll stick with it for a while more though since people whose opinion I respect say it's worth reading and I still like the premise.

Yea, I loved it. I love Taleb. 9-11 is an excellent example of forecasting failure in history, and the sections that covered the markets should seem especially prescient now.

I think you should see him as less preachy and arrogant, and instead imagine him as a writer with a distinctive personality. Something quite foreign in much modern popular non-fiction.

Anyhow, I got a lot out of this book (and other things he's done) and I like that he hasn't succumbed to becoming a vanilla sounding business consultant.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Just started

hardwired.jpg

Been on a real cyberpunk kick lately, blew threw Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive and decided I was going to binge for a while:D

nitewulf

Shinjitsu said:
Just started

hardwired.jpg

Been on a real cyberpunk kick lately, blew threw Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive and decided I was going to binge for a while:D
Altered Carbon over anything else as far as cyberpunk goes, after Neuromancer.
1022-1.jpg

PREACHER_UNTIL_END.jpg

Bulla564

Banned
0520077237.jpg

Almost done with this picture-less 1000 page minuscule font'd book. The history, from the early civilizations, up to the early 90's, of the different regions of Latin America, is narrated as extensively as possible, and in an entertaining manner.

It gives you a great understanding for mostly the attitudes and social aspects of the different countries, which in turn affect the economies and political histories of the different nations.

Bulla564 said:
0520077237.jpg

Almost done with this picture-less 1000 page minuscule font'd book. The history, from the early civilizations, up to the early 90's, of the different regions of Latin America, is narrated as extensively as possible, and in an entertaining manner.

It gives you a great understanding for mostly the attitudes and social aspects of the different countries, which in turn affect the economies and political histories of the different nations.
I was given this by an ex for my birthday. After we broke up, I sort of avoided reading it because it'd remind me of her, but it's been two years now so I think it's about time to add it to my queue.

Snaku

Banned
2m34iu0.jpg

I'm almost done with Hyperion. Absolutely loving it. I cried during
Sol & Rachel's story.
Can't wait to see what happens.

Gonna dive into The Fall of Hyperion right after I finish this.

YYZ

51QGENEJKYL._SS500_.jpg

Was reading the paperback, just got the hardcover today along with the other three. I'm halfway through this one. It's really damn good. True royal and familial drama with some low fantasy to spice it up, although it never detracts from the meat of the story.

The hardcovers are so nice, but a little bigger than I thought even though I did estimate with the measurements given. Very nice quality though.

I just counted how many books that I have to read and I stopped counting after 25. I'll update after I work through some of them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
s6207l.jpg

Just got this in the mail today from a swap. Ordered it blind after Mifune recommended Erickson in another thread, and I kind of like that there's no synopsis in or on the book nor did I check out any reviews or anything beforehand. It's nice to be going into a book completely clean for once, particularly in a genre I'm not generally fond of, and I'll probably start it up tonight.

Undeux

Basch said:
Finished the Gunslinger yesterday. Thought it was really good. I liked the first two parts a lot. The third was pretty good, until it got bogged down with too many descriptions of the same old. There's only so much "At third wake" I can take. lol The fourth part spiced the story up a bit, had an unexpected ending, but made me hate the main character. Lost my desire to read. Thankfully, I sucked it up and continued reading. The fifth part was really good. A bit confusing thanks to The Man in Black, but surprisingly beautiful at the same time. While we get some answers in this opening volume, there are far too many questions that drown out any sense of accomplishment. That was a long story for a whole lot of nothing, but I liked it. Excited for the next book. Hopefully, King learns to structure he sentences a bit better for the next installment.

I just finished it yesterday. I had a kind of different reaction - I considered giving it up in the first couple of parts, but I thought the fourth part made it a lot more interesting and readable. I'm definitely up for giving the second book a shot, though I'm not motivated by the first book to finish the whole series.

Starting these:

411kxnJpsEL._SS500_.jpg

239e810ae7a075c204f69110.L.jpg

A little turned off by the length of Les Miserables, but eh... I've heard it's worth it.

I'm reading this:
71QSVSATZ6L.gif

ShinOkazaki said:
COUNT OF MONTECRISTO.jpg
It's so beautiful that I'm scared of it. I'm starting to think that it's that kind of book that everyone should read once in their life.
I love Dumas, even though legends say he was paid "per written line", so in his works you'll always find a lot of monosyllables and repetitions (that's why the critics generally agree that Dumas' style wasn't that great).

Retro

Just finished:
rc5urp.jpg

Just Started:
6plpbq.jpg

Not sure what I will read next, but I've been wanting to crack open some of the 3-D Design books I've bought and then got distracted from.

Mifune

Mehmber
Cosmic Bus said:
Just got this in the mail today from a swap. Ordered it blind after Mifune recommended Erickson in another thread, and I kind of like that there's no synopsis in or on the book nor did I check out any reviews or anything beforehand. It's nice to be going into a book completely clean for once, particularly in a genre I'm not generally fond of, and I'll probably start it up tonight.

Whoa, cool. I can't wait to hear what you think.

When I finish up Smiley's People, I'm gonna start Erickson's Tours of the Black Clock (funny this will be only the third book of his that I've read). Going to hear him speak this weekend at the LA Times Book Festival. I'm excited!

Druz

Undeux said:
I just finished it yesterday. I had a kind of different reaction - I considered giving it up in the first couple of parts, but I thought the fourth part made it a lot more interesting and readable. I'm definitely up for giving the second book a shot, though I'm not motivated by the first book to finish the whole series.

Starting these:

411kxnJpsEL._SS500_.jpg

That book is pretty interesting. If you're in marketing you'd be a fool not to read it.

Echoes

5088b

Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns (which was a thrilling, heart-quenching read), and will start Never Let Me Go right away.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm still reading the extended version of Stephen Kings' The Stand. I'll probably have a long beard or something when I'm finially finished with it.

Other than that I read some comics I guess.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm starting A Game of Thrones for the 4th or 5th time. This time I'm confident that A Dance With Dragons will be out by the time I finish all 4 books. :D

Echoes

Hmm, slight changes of plan. I'll postpone reading Never Let Me Go because I decided to read it later with a friend. Just bought some books from the Kindle store and will start with The Road.

2760b

FirewalkR

Burger said:
0575077174.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Half way through, it's amazing so far.

By now you should have finished it and concluded that not only is it amazing all the way to the end, it's also Reynolds' best book so far, and probably one of the best of the year.

Alucard

Banned
Here are my reviews of two books I've recently finished.

n17423.jpg

While the writing does feel a little dated, the importance of this story to the history of science fiction cannot be understated. War of the Worlds is widely recognized as the first modern science fiction novel, and all invasion stories that came after have borrowed from it to some extent.

While the first half of the book felt like a bit of a chore to get through, largely due to Wells' insistence on talking about the destruction of various locales around London in detail, the story feels extremely human and relevant in the second half, once Wells introduces some dialogue and meaningful human interaction to the mix. What I found most fascinating about the edition that I read, was the afterword which discussed how the story can be read as a multi-purpose allegory for humanity's various conflicts with itself, and with the world around it. It teaches that we must never feel arrogantly certain of earth's future, and it condemns the practices of colonialism and imperialism. We must feel empathy towards our "less advanced" populations, and always consider the implications of our actions.

A must read for all science fiction enthusiasts. 4/5.

0671027360.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The main draws of this book are its conspiracy theories, and some pop commenting on the debate between religion and science. I was very much involved in it, as these are topics that are of great interest to me, but the book didn't really say anything profound or new on the topics. I did enjoy how it didn't really take a clear cut view of things, but I also wish the characters -had- more character, and that parts of the narrative didn't seem entirely too convenient.

Alright, so here are my problems with Dan Brown's writing. Firstly, the man needs a better editor. This book was needlessly long, and Brown's insistence on repeating words and phrases, as well as his need to italicize something on every single page made me feel like I was being talked down to. Yes, I get it, the Illuminati path is laid out "perfectly." You don't have to remind me at every single clue. While I'm on the topic of the clues, I felt that too many people were far too knowledgeable and conveniently helpful at various points throughout the story. Secondly, aside from the possible exception of the camerlengo, none of the characters had a sufficient enough backstory. They all seemed extremely one-note, and felt like empty vessels that were placed in the story just to move the plot along. Lastly, while Brown did create a brisk tale of deception and religious intrigue, the ending of the book is absolutely horrendous, so much so that I had to let out a verbal gag as I read the final words. Let's just say it was annoyingly cliche, which is a shame considering how promisingly the story began.

Based on the above opinions, it sounds like I really hated this book. Truthfully, I didn't. Brown knows his audience, and his playing around with history, whether real or imagined, got my conspiratorial mind going. The resolution to the mystery also caught me fairly off guard. I wasn't expecting the last twist, and I felt glued for the last 70 pages or so, as everything unraveled. There were also some moments of genuine thoughtfulness in the story, particularly when the characters were given time to breathe and let us know a little more about their worldview. Again though, there simply weren't enough of these moments to raise this book above a mild recommendation.

If you're into Catholic conspiracies, secret organizations, or if you just enjoy a very plot-driven murder mystery, you'll likely enjoy this. The book does move along at a quick pace, and there is hardly a dull moment. Despite its nagging problems, it's worth a look, as it does occasionally inspire the reader to think about his or her own preconceived worldview, and the places and roles of science and faith, simplified though the argument may be. 3.5/5.

I want to read the Brothers Karamazov but I don't know which translation to get.

I'm torn between the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation and the MacAndrew translation.

GriffD17

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I want to read the Brothers Karamazov but I don't know which translation to get.

I'm torn between the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation and the MacAndrew translation.

I read this last year around this time. I got the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation due to the recommendations from other who read it. As the quote on the front says: "One finally gets the musical whole of Dostoevsky's original." from the New York Times Book Review.

Maybe somebody else could help you out better, but I couldn't find any faults with it.

thomaser

Finished my volume with three of Hamsun's latest works today, the last work being On Overgrown Paths which he wrote when he was 90. Stellar books, he's way up on my list of favourite authors.

21uv9w1g-mL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA198_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Next up, Henry Fielding's The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling. I've read two of his books before, Joseph Andrews and Shamela, and both are very fun in that 18th-century kind of way. Tom Jones is a long beast of a book, comparable to Tristram Shandy, but I'm pretty sure it will be an enjoyable read all the way.

I'm thinking about pickin up Day by Day Armageddon, I read some of it, seems like a decent read.

Any other good zombie/apocalypse books? I've already read WWZ and The Road and liked both.

GriffD17 said:
I read this last year around this time. I got the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation due to the recommendations from other who read it. As the quote on the front says: "One finally gets the musical whole of Dostoevsky's original." from the New York Times Book Review.

Maybe somebody else could help you out better, but I couldn't find any faults with it.

I might end up going to the library and picking up whatever translations they have and see which one I like best.

I'm leaning toward the MacAndrew translation, though, after reading the first couple pages of each translation on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom