• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kildace

atlas_shrugged1.jpg

Wanted to see what the fuss was about. Very good book if a bit rambly at times. Somewhat strawman-y in the present day though.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Gadfly said:
This is a masterpiece. I wish I knew Russian just for the sake of being able to read this book in the language it was written in. I have two different versions of the English translation. If I remember correctly one of them was missing a couple of chapters.

Seconded! One of my favorite books of all time, and I also wish I could read it in russian. Still fantastic though.

Currently rereading The Name of the Wind
nw2lg.jpg

And struggling my way thru the Road.

Read Six suspects. Written by the same guy whose other book the movie slum dog millionaire was based on.

It was ok and pretty funny sometimes but seemed to assume that everyone was reeeally stupid a bit to much for some things to work. I could see this being remade as a pretty funny movie though.

CiSTM

Banned
ten5ive9ine said:
I'm enjoying it a lot. Read 69 when you've got a couple of his other works under your belt. It only takes a day to read, but it's nice to have a good idea of his work before your read a biographical piece.

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna pick up Piercing next.

FnordChan

I recently finished The Name of the Wind and thoroughly enjoyed it. I generally don't read a lot of doorstop fantasy, but Rothfuss lived up to the hype. I'm looking forward to the second book in the trilogy whenever that drops. Now, to see if he can actually keep it down to just three books.

512005DQ8EL._SS500_.jpg

I'm currently about a third of the way through Donald Westlake's 361, reissued courtesy of the fine folks at Hard Case Crime, whose entire catalog is almost worth buying for the cover art alone. Fortunately, there's damn fine reissues as well, with this Westlake from 1962 reading like a sort of proto-Parker novel. It's about a guy just out of the military who is out for vengeance. I could go into more detail, but, really, it's all you need to know. So far it's terrific in a hard boiled to the hilt sort of way.

turncoat-400.jpg

Fortunately, vintage crime novels clock in at around 200 pages and are generally fast reads, which is good as my copy of Jim Butcher's latest Dresden Files novel, Turn Coat is en route from Amazon and I'm looking forward to tearing through it in short order.

FnordChan

Thinking about picking up Stephen Kings Duma Key. Anyone here read it?

parent-9780670018963.jpg

Is this the book about the Counterstrike Players that Sean Elliot was talking about a while ago?

bengraven said:
Part 2? I never knew the book had been split up, I have a 800 page paperback sitting here.

i think its split in the UK only. both books are 500 odd pages but the text is a bit larger than in clash of kings

part one ends just as
Jon flees from the Wildlings to warn the Watch

thomaser

Just finished Philip K. Dick's Valis. I read 50 or so pages before suspecting that I had read it before, and whaddyaknow, it turned out I had read it a couple years back but forgot all about it. Embarrassing, especially for such a distinctive book. Anyway, enjoyed it a lot, and I won't forget having read it again.

After that, I read a play by Henrik Ibsen, The League of Youth. Not my cup of tea, he has many other, much better plays.

Now, I'm on a short Knut Hamsun binge. Currently reading his magnum opus, The Growth of the Soil. Next up his Wayfarers, and after that his last work, On Overgrown Paths. The Growth of the Soil is beautiful so far, it must have been a huge influence on later writers like Hemingway and Steinbeck.

Basch

So I'm finding The Gunslinger pretty interesting. Got halfway through it in just a day. May read some more later tonight if I feel up to it. There's a learning curve with King's writing, though. At times, I swear to God that man doesn't know how to compose a decently constructed sentence. Oh, and don't forget his OCD moments where he has to mention sex, breasts, or lust at least twenty times per chapter. Like the mystery setting though. The novel is brilliantly paced, but goes over my head occasionally. Sometimes I just go, "WTF???", and move on. :D

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Gunslinger is the worst of the series, if you're enjoying it, you'll love the rest. A lot of the WTF? stuff will make a lot more sense as you get deeper into the series, and, frankly, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Basch

Okay, so I just realized that the version of the book I borrowed from the library is missing some 30 pages or so compared to the extended edition. I just got to the third part of the novel: The Oracle and the Mountains. Should I stop, get off my lazy ass, and pick up the revised edition, or should I continue reading anyways. Crisis, GAF! CRISIS! Fix it for me. :'( Will I be missing anything?

nitewulf

icarus-daedelus said:
Iron Council by China Mieville. I'm like 10 pages in, so I don't really know what it's about thus far.
if this is your first china mieville novel, you shouldn't begin with this one.

Kildace said:
atlas_shrugged1.jpg

Wanted to see what the fuss was about. Very good book if a bit rambly at times. Somewhat strawman-y in the present day though.

I kind of want to read this, but the only copy I can find has very small print. For somebody like me who has eye problems, small print is a nightmare.

I'm currently reading the following:

The Lincoln Murder Conspriacies by William Hanchett (my Professor is mentioned in the introduction)

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

The Stand by Steven King

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Finishing the following on my Kindle. Really interesting perspectives on the what future impacts the use robotics in warfare will have both on the US military and on whoever we are fighting.

wiredforwar.jpg

Once I finish this I have decided what I am going to read. Either "The Road" which has been mentioned before, or the below by Nathanial Fick, who was one of the few officers positively mentioned in the book "Generation Kill." Plus I have read a few articles from him in U.S. News and World Report and enjoyed them.

51A3JS6SM4L.jpg

I'm thinking once I'm done with my collection of books I have, I'm planning on starting The Dark Tower Series by Steven King and then A Song of Ice and Fire series by Geroge RR Martin. I've heard good things so I hope I'm making the right decison by buying them.

After I'm done with Pandora's Star I'll jump into Judas Uncahined also by Peter F. Hamilton. Then it's on to Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, followed by Hyperion and The fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, and maybe Endymion and Rise of Endyimon. Finally there is the Night Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Oh and maybe Issac Asmiov's Foundation series.

way more

n1006.jpg

My order recently arrived in the book store but I'm already immersed in No Country For Old Men.

no_country_for_old_men_coen.jpg

It's as gripping as the movie.

ice cream said:

Nice choice. I'm glad to see that people aren't dismissing the book because of it's regrettable origin. It really is a fantastic story even if bogus.

ice cream

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Awesome I am picking this sucka up.
Thanks.
Also consider checking out the E-Athletes Documentary:
http://www.eathletesmovie.com/

Its based on similiar stuff and has many of the same people the book is based on.

mac said:
Nice choice. I'm glad to see that people aren't dismissing the book because of it's regrettable origin. It really is a fantastic story even if bogus.
Yeah only about 50 pages in so far but liking it. I haven't done much research on the whole event that went on with it being real or fake, but I though most of it was real and other stuff was just made up for the sake of being more interesting... or is it all a lie?

Fusebox

Banned
Just read The Road (I know, lttp). Awesome book, maybe a little too short if anything, only took half a day to finish but it was absolutely superb.

41JIlx9r0rL.jpg

ice cream said:
Yeah only about 50 pages in so far but liking it. I haven't done much research on the whole event that went on with it being real or fake, but I though most of it was real and other stuff was just made up for the sake of being more interesting... or is it all a lie?

The majority of that book is fiction.

Burger

Fanboydestroyer said:
After I'm done with Pandora's Star I'll jump into Judas Uncahined also by Peter F. Hamilton. Then it's on to Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, followed by Hyperion and The fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, and maybe Endymion and Rise of Endyimon. Finally there is the Night Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Oh and maybe Issac Asmiov's Foundation series.

Oh man you have some great reading ahead!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Gadfly said:
The first few books in the series are good. No so much afterward.
After I finished with Ender's Game I looked up the rest of the series and, based on the short blurbs on wiki, I'd be interested in Speaker for the Dead but the Shadow series just sounds lame. Overall Game was a pretty engrossing read though.

Now I've moved onto this:

stross-singularity_sky.jpg

Plot sounds pretty interesting, like something Vernor Vinge might write.

Basch

Cyan said:
And I'm sure everyone who cares has heard already, but the "final" Wheel of Time book is now three final Wheel of Time books. :lol Here's the press release. And Sanderson's explanation.

O_O Wow, that's a lot of books. I knew they wouldn't be able to finish the series off in one. I think Sanderson made the right decision. Resolve most of the plot lines. Don't worry about the length.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
28ktxts.jpg

Finally going to read it, oh geeeeze. I got the book out from the library, apparently its a printing from before the movie even came out.

I also took out

15i58nr.jpg

Recommended Post Apocalyptic reading

CiSTM

Banned
I just finished reading Coin locker babies. Wow...that's all I have to say ! I had a slow start with it. But after chapter 3 I devoured rest of the book in one sit without stopping. Undoubtedly my favorite coming to age story.

Now I'm gonna read Musashi until my next Murakami book arrives.
2unyj51.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Just read a few Harlan Ellison short stories: A Boy and His Dog, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World. All great stuff.

Now I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. Waiting for it to get good.

the-count-of-monte-cristo.jpg

It's so beautiful that I'm scared of it. I'm starting to think that it's that kind of book that everyone should read once in their life.

GriffD17

sykoex said:
Now I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. Waiting for it to get good.

Do you grok it?

I read it last summer; the "uncut" version. I don't remember what was cut in the original edition, but I did enjoy it a lot.

nitewulf

Cyan said:
So, in book news... Scott Lynch's Republic of Thieves is delayed until, at best, Spring 2010. Probably later. Argh.
is that the final of the trilogy? i havent read the books after the first one...didn't like the dark turn it took in the final third. for once i wanted a light-hearted feel good fantasy novel. but no...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
nitewulf said:
is that the final of the trilogy? i havent read the books after the first one...didn't like the dark turn it took in the final third. for once i wanted a light-hearted feel good fantasy novel. but no...

No. The series is set to be seven volumes long. The sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora was a disappointment, so my expectations for The Republic of Thieves has been tempered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom