• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undeux

I'm a little surprised one hasn't already been started for the month.

e652810ae7a08174f5939110.L.jpg

Assault_On_Reason_Al_Gore.jpg

Also re-reading Mrs. Dalloway for a class, which I can't say I'm happy about. :)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished today -

2e3v8nl.jpg

Good enough, though somewhat unmemorable.

Just started today -

2s7je6d.jpg

+ have a massive to do list. Grand Theft Childhood should be done this week, so I'll post back when I start something new.

This is about workers occupying and taking over abandoned factories in Argentina after their economy collapsed in 2001.

51-rGhiIOtL._SS500_.jpg

I read this last Saturday in two extended sittings. Great writing, incredible dreary.

The-road.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
A game of thrones by some George RR Martin. Any good?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I started Ender's Game for the first time today. It will be interesting to see if it lives up to all the hype and circlejerking it gets.

Gauhst

reggieandTFE said:
This is about workers occupying and taking over abandoned factories in Argentina after their economy collapsed in 2001.

51-rGhiIOtL._SS500_.jpg

I read this last Saturday in two extended sittings. Great writing, incredible dreary.

The-road.jpg

Just finished The Road. It's amazingly sad and melancholy, while still quite hopeful and really just a great read.

I'm working my way through The Foundation novels by Asimov, and after that I'll get to work on Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut.

Karakand

14vr679.gif

BTW I have been roped into reading Discworld by my GF. All that hating on fantasy has gone down the shitter. :|

Finishing This:
3660-1.jpg

Set in the near future, The Wanting Seed is a Malthusian comedy about the strange world overpopulation will produce. Tristram Foxe and his wife, Beatrice-Joanna, live in their skyscraper world where official family limitation glorifies homosexuality. Eventually, their world is transformed into a chaos of cannibalistic dining-clubs, fantastic fertility rituals, and wars without anger. It is a novel both extravagantly funny and grimly serious.

So on-topic with what's happening to the world right now. Amazing.

About to start:
0385333501.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Alucard

Banned
I've been stuck on War of the Worlds for over a month now, but I'm also a drama/ESL teacher, so I've had to focus on lesson plans. Still, I'd like to take a bite out of a great novel soon.

4.jpg

I'm liking War of the Worlds, but it feels quite dated, and Wells' writing style is a little dry. There are flurries of brilliance, but despite its action-packed nature, it ironically feels like a pretty slow burn.

AkuMifune

Banned
The_Dragonbone_Chair.jpg

Pretty good so far, but not nearly as engaging as Otherland...but that probably has to do more with being in a fantasy setting as opposed to cyberpunk future.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
41Z3bO-c9aL._SS500_.jpg

just finished...great great read..

and now

51sfx%2BxolVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU09_.jpg

not big on the writing style but a real different look at Che, and maybe much much closer to the truth

Karakand

Calculon said:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/Awesome5000/014018859201LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not sure if I like it or not, but that seems to be the consensus of a lot of people that read it.
I loved it.

Just finished World War Z. It took me a while to get into it, but I ended up enjoying it in the end. I think it started to pick up when I became familiar with the various things they were talking about that happened during the war.

I've also been reading House of Leaves. It's a fiction book about a book that's a critique of a fictional movie. Almost mind blowing, but it's been a fun read so far.

I don't know what I'll go onto after that one. Maybe I'll try to trudge through Gravity's Rainbow. I started it, but didn't really feel like investing so much into it when I did. What I did read of it was excellent, though, so I'm sure I'll like the rest when I get around to it. o hay, somebody else is reading it a few posts up.

GriffD17

Recently Finished: Maldoror
ra8651.jpg

It includes the main story "Maldoror" and other writings, haven't gotten to them though. Because Maldoror was such a difficult and interesting read, I also picked up a book titled "Nightmare Culture" which analyzes it.

Finished just a few moments ago: Watchmen
9fppip.jpg

Figured I might as well give graphic novels a try. I did enjoy it but I might hold off on further graphic novel purchases. And I'll wait for the DVD release of the movie to see it.

Soon to start: Post Office
2dr5qph.jpg

Undeux

AkuMifune said:
The_Dragonbone_Chair.jpg

Pretty good so far, but not nearly as engaging as Otherland...but that probably has to do more with being in a fantasy setting as opposed to cyberpunk future.

It's been a long time since I read it, but it takes a while to pick up and get interesting. Once it does, though, the whole trilogy is great. I loved the second book especially.

Calculon said:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/Awesome5000/014018859201LZZZZZZZ.jpg[IMG]

Not sure if I like it or not, but that seems to be the consensus of a lot of people that read it.[/QUOTE]

it's pure garbage. throw that shit away and read World War Z

Karakand

Tyrone Slothrop said:
it's pure garbage. throw that shit away and read World War Z
Then he should read The Road.

And then Watchmen.

And then some fantasy book.

(If you're gonna be a book-GAF cliche, might as well go big.)

Blackace

Karakand said:
Then he should read The Road.

And then Watchmen.

And then some fantasy book.

(If you're gonna be a book-GAF cliche, might as well go big.)

:lol

The book is considered a top 100 book in American Literature...

Also I love how the suggestion is World War Z...

"I am thinking about reading MLK speeches..."

"Pure trash! Read Gardens of the Moon!!!!"

ten5ive9ine

They've got me haunting a family in Texas.
Blackace said:
they just made this into a movie, no?

Really? Coin Locker Babies is one of my favourite novels, so my brother sent me this the other day as a gift. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. Urgh. I read it while undergoing surgery and now I associate the gore in the story to the sickly feeling as I got cut up.

Blackace

ten5ive9ine said:
Really? Coin Locker Babies is one of my favourite novels, so my brother sent me this the other day as a gift. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. Urgh. I read it while undergoing surgery and now I associate the gore in the story to the sickly feeling as I got cut up.

I might be wrong the movie's name is "Pierce" in Japanese which is what they use for piercing. 3 main characters? 2 guys and a gal? (just gong by the preview I saw...)

CiSTM

Banned
ten5ive9ine said:

Is is it good ? I have just started reading Murakami's books and I'm really interested in this one. My next book from him will be 69, In the Miso Soup or Piercing.

Currently reading:

Coin Locker Babies - Murakami
1984 - Orwell
Neuromancer - Gibson
Dune - Herbert
The Island of Doctor Moreau - Wells

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Undeux said:
I'm a little surprised one hasn't already been started for the month.

e652810ae7a08174f5939110.L.jpg
This is a masterpiece. I wish I knew Russian just for the sake of being able to read this book in the language it was written in. I have two different versions of the English translation. If I remember correctly one of them was missing a couple of chapters.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
CygnusXS said:
I started Ender's Game for the first time today. It will be interesting to see if it lives up to all the hype and circlejerking it gets.
The first few books in the series are good. No so much afterward.

ten5ive9ine

They've got me haunting a family in Texas.
CiSTM said:
Is is it good ? I have just started reading Murakami's books and I'm really interested in this one. My next book from him will be 69, In the Miso Soup or Piercing.

Currently reading:

Coin Locker Babies - Murakami
1984 - Orwell
Neuromancer - Gibson
Dune - Herbert
The Island of Doctor Moreau - Wells

I'm enjoying it a lot. Read 69 when you've got a couple of his other works under your belt. It only takes a day to read, but it's nice to have a good idea of his work before your read a biographical piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom