• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 (next-gen) patched in Always Online requirement

Game have an app where you can scan the game case and find out in the comfort of your home and if it doesn't match with what the store is offering they give you an extra £1.

For reference CEX are buying for £32.

Thanks, i'll have a look for the app. I might give Game and CEX in town a call and see what they say.

Hasney

you wont have many AAA games left to play if you boycott those with always online modes or microtransactions...

Microtransactions to me are fine as long as it doesn't effect the grind for regular credits (Like GT6 good Vs Forza 5 bad if impressions are to be believed). If they all go always online, then it'll be time to attack the backlog. I'm really not that concerned.

The speed at which tides turn in the gaming industry will never cease to amaze me.

The weird fucking decisions that someone, somewhere had to think was a good idea are sadly becoming expected though.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If I knew about this, I wouldn't have bought the game. Thinking about trading it now.

amacross

Banned
So this is what they mean when they say it's up to the publisher if the game require always online. I won't be supporting this practice. If this is the way all next-gen games will functionI will be switching to Wii U.

Lexxism

I think it's the same thing with NFS. I'm trying to play it right now and it won't even load since PSN is in maintenance. Looks like my PS4 is going to be useless if PSN is in maintenance.

timlot

Banned
37238816.jpg

low-G

Couple of folks in the thread have mentioned that the game hangs on LeBron's arms when started w/o an internet connection

Wrong. There is a delay of like 5 seconds at LeBron, but it will load. You have to completely disconnect from the net though.

Has anyone actually tested this?

My PS4 has only been connected via ethernet so i'll pop downstairs, unplug the cable, power on the PS4 and see if i can play NBA2k14. It's the disk version so it shouldn't require online at all. If i don't setup the wifi it can't go online.
I'll also note down the game's version number and post it for reference.

It may get a stay of execution if it works :)

methane47

One day i started up the game and it just sat at the screen Not allowing me to do anything.
I was wondering wtf happened. I closed the game started back, same thing, restarted ps4, same thing.. came back 10 min later. tried again, it worked fine.

Now it makes sense. My internet must have been crappy at that time.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This will happen to every game this gen. It was bound to, when MS did the 180. EA/Ubisoft and all of these money grubbing companies, have to do it themselves rather than relying on the hardware manufacturers. And that's when I'll stop playing, pure and simple. They are trying to sugarcoat this despicable evil shit with code words like "connected worlds", but we all know it's just anti-consumer, anti-ownership DRM.

Foffy

Banned
Damn. Fuck this game, and every person who has/will make a decision for their products like this going forward. It seems absolutely snakey to do something such as this.

Wow youre kidding me right?...So much for the good guy 2K feelings...

Damn this better get patched out or I cant be asked to support this game like I was when i picked up a PS4. Thats some shady ass shit right there.

Funny if Live becomes legit again because of a stupid move like this.

low-G

My PS4 has only been connected via ethernet so i'll pop downstairs, unplug the cable, power on the PS4 and see if i can play NBA2k14. It's the disk version so it shouldn't require online at all. If i don't setup the wifi it can't go online.
I'll also note down the game's version number and post it for reference.

It may get a stay of execution if it works :)

It works. I already did it for you

Getting VC and it saving works too?

This is the problem. TBH I think i noticed this when my friend and I hooked up his PS4.

You can complete tasks and stuff in the game while offline.(Play Games, Win VC, Make Roster Changes). But none of it will stick unless the game can connect to the servers and sync what youve done.

You can tell this by going to the PS4 downloads/uploads?? page. My friend made changes to his profile and nothing stuck so we were a little confused. This explains why.

EDIT:

It seems the game goes into a huge Authentication loop with the 2K Servers which can take several minutes. This shows the LeBron flash screen while it's happening. The game will start up OFFLINE after it has processed it's Auth Loop and timed out.

Game modes will be limited, but you CAN play offline.

Updated OP. Premature Rageulation.

However you will have to start entirely new offline saves.

It works. I already did it for you

I'm from an experimental background so i like to reproduce experiments to confirm the results :)

... and you're right. I have not setup wifi on my PS4 so it's completely offline and NBA2K14 is sat downstairs playing a CPU vs CPU Quick Match. It was updated on the 30th November and is Version 1.02 so i don't know if there's a more recent patch out in the US?

Xater

I am selling my copy of this game as well. Might get FIFA or nothing instead. For me it's mostly the VC stuff, don't know how the game got such good reviews with this bullshit in it. Oh and the game crashes and corrupts saves. This always online thing is just another thing that cements my decision in no longer bothering with it. I will also not buy another of their games if they keep their VC shit as is.

CDV13

Never played older 2K careers. If there was not VC, how did you upgrade character? Curious how it worked.

Top Bottom