• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 (next-gen) patched in Always Online requirement

I guess i'm in the minority but I love this game. Looking forward to taking My player through to the hall of fame than onto having him be the GM.

My only major complaint is the imbecilic dialogue, that coupled with the inability to skip those idiotic cut scenes.... Can I please make my guy not talk like an idiot.... drives me up the wall. At least the soundtrack this year is infinity better.

I guess i'm just use to always being online. TBH last gen i wouldn't play if I couldn't connect to online either. I prefer always online games that give me real life updates. I like that I get updates about what is happening in the real NBA. I can understand peoples gripes, I just don't share them...

Are you buying VC?

lil smoke

Banned
I guess i'm in the minority but I love this game. Looking forward to taking My player through to the hall of fame than onto having him be the GM.

My only major complaint is the imbecilic dialogue, that coupled with the inability to skip those idiotic cut scenes.... Can I please make my guy not talk like an idiot.... drives me up the wall. At least the soundtrack this year is infinity better.

I guess i'm just use to always being online. TBH last gen i wouldn't play if I couldn't connect to online either. I prefer always online games that give me real life updates. I like that I get updates about what is happening in the real NBA. I can understand peoples gripes, I just don't share them...
I had some regret buying this, but after 3 days, it's really not that bad.

It is a step back in presentation, the game isn't as "tight", it's a bit floaty, like there's no home base screen, everything is hidden.

-Soundtrack - You can hate me now??? seriously? Can I get my hairline back and take some of these grays off my temples?

-My guy is less idiotic and more thoughtful than the guy from last series. Choose A - I think my team shot the ball well ... translates to = I am a superstar, I should get the ball every time down, those guys don't pass, I a selfish jerk blah blah.

Online has not been an issue yet. There are times when I want to take the plug out and play in solitude, but oh well.

Overall the actual gameplay feels just as good, and I actually kinda like the agent, I like the rookie talking trash, I like how I was about to throw my controller at Caron for asking me to carry his bags. I was like fuck you son, you are the Butler bitch. I was seriously thinking oh hell yeah are we going to actually fight?

It's alright :)

Apollo

Banned
I had some regret buying this, but after 3 days, it's really not that bad.

It is a step back in presentation, the game isn't as "tight", it's a bit floaty, like there's no home base screen, everything is hidden.

-Soundtrack - You can hate me now??? seriously? Can I get my hairline back and take some of these grays off my temples?

-My guy is less idiotic and more thoughtful than the guy from last series. Choose A - I think my team shot the ball well ... translates to = I am a superstar, I should get the ball every time down, those guys don't pass, I a selfish jerk blah blah.

Online has not been an issue yet. There are times when I want to take the plug out and play in solitude, but oh well.

Overall the actual gameplay feels just as good, and I actually kinda like the agent, I like the rookie talking trash, I like how I was about to throw my controller at Caron for asking me to carry his bags. I was like fuck you son, you are the Butler bitch. I was seriously thinking oh hell yeah are we going to actually fight?

It's alright :)

you must be a very causal NBA 2K player if you think it's not really that bad.

Warablo

I hate that I can't call just a quick simple ISO anymore.. In the old ones they had quick basic plays you could call real quick like post up and such.. In this one it seems like they removed them all and have real plays or "run best play" option...

sajj316

Did this game (for you) require the creation of an account before proceeding? Casual player here. At first, all I want to do was practice/run a scrimmage and got frustrated at the account prompt. Ok, so then I created the account and got a few menu options. Didn't know where to go for a quick scrimmage so I went to myTeams (or whatever its called). It then forced me to assign a default team, etc ..

Am I doing this wrong? Am I missing something .. is it that difficult to get a quick scrimmage?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Did this game (for you) require the creation of an account before proceeding? Casual player here. At first, all I want to do was practice/run a scrimmage and got frustrated at the account prompt. Ok, so then I created the account and got a few menu options. Didn't know where to go for a quick scrimmage so I went to myTeams (or whatever its called). It then forced me to assign a default team, etc ..

Am I doing this wrong? Am I missing something .. is it that difficult to get a quick scrimmage?

Menu system is very out of whack. To get into a quick game you go to "NBA Today" press Circle then you can choose it from there. Hope you liked the team and player you picked, your stuck with them now. I know, it sucks.

edit: And the OT where we constantly bitch about the game is here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716930

lil smoke

Banned
you must be a very causal NBA 2K player if you think it's not really that bad.
Well it's only a few days so far and I have not experienced the annoyances of K13 yet.

Also, I understand these 1st XB1 games are rough, they don't really count as far as I'm concerned... so as long as I have some enjoyment and a few laughs, so far so good.

I can see the deeper you get the worse it'll be, I definitely can see that.

This fucking game! So many glitches. Every time I get to a new match:

- Randomised camera settings (not always to a default, sometimes side, sometimes "2K")
- Randomised sound levels
- Randomised passing hint system
- Randomised "Intense-D" setting
- Wild spikes in difficult and erratic changes mid-game

Each match I have to go into the menu and see what the fuck is going on.

This is my first 2K basketball game and it will be my last.

Mahonay

Banned
I try to hop on and play this game in the little bit of free time I have right now. There's an almost 2.5GB update. I look at the patch notes online and see that it includes nothing I need to use at the moment (online multiplayer and The Park). So I stop the download and boot the game up. It tells me "network features enabled, update required". I figure that just means online multiplayer won't work. I go to My GM to load my save. "Connection to 2K servers required". I can't play an offline mode, because of some backdoor DRM horse shit?

Now I'm here waiting for the update to download. I'll have about 20 minutes to play before I have to leave.

ibePaJrh4I5avZ.gif

Top Bottom