• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 (next-gen) patched in Always Online requirement

iJudged

Banned
It's even funnier when you play mycareer and realize your player is getting paid less than it costs to buy a pair of shorts and a shirt for a 2 year contract. Sweet Nike shoe deal? It would be, but it pays less than the cost of a team branded headband. You're basically forced to be Hobo Jordan willing to put up triple doubles for a sandwich.
Lmao omg what a disaster.

Jtrizzy

Jesus this shit is terrible. This is the exact kind of game I want to have when my internet goes down, where I can just play single player. Oh well I've been enjoying Madden PS4 more anyway.

I just don't understand why there can't be an an offline exhibition mode at least. AC IV is doing all of the fleet missions online too. My internet went down the other night and I couldn't get in and look at my ships.

BigDug13

It's weird that sim racing games make you grind for cars but other sim sports games don't make you grind for players. Imagine if NBA 2K had a grind that you could bypass through microtransactions in order to unlock LeBron James. Or if Madden didn't have Peyton Manning unlocked until you did a grind through a season with no-name players to reach the point of unlocking Peyton.

Sim racers seem to have this grind mentality that makes me not want to play them and they're way different than other sports titles out there. Is driving shit cars in order to someday unlock good cars which by the time you reach that goal you'll be tired of the game something we should want to have?

It's weird that sim racing games make you grind for cars but other sim sports games don't make you grind for players. Imagine if NBA 2K had a grind that you could bypass through microtransactions in order to unlock LeBron James. Or if Madden didn't have Peyton Manning unlocked until you did a grind through a season with no-name players to reach the point of unlocking Peyton.

Sim racers seem to have this grind mentality that makes me not want to play them and they're way different than other sports titles out there.

What do you think ultimate team/myteam modes are? You pay to unlock cardpacks which may or may not have the player you're looking for, it's like grinding for cars with a double plus uncertainty bonus.

BigDug13

What do you think ultimate team/myteam modes are? You pay to unlock cardpacks which may or may not have the player you're looking for, it's like grinding for cars with a double plus uncertainty bonus.

Sure but you can still play exhibition games with players like LeBron, unlike a game like Forza which removed your ability to mess around on cars you haven't unlocked.

satori

What the fuck. Screw this shit, absolutely shady and shitty thing to do. And who else find it absolutely disgusting with this trend of buying shit like VC. How about just let me play the god damn game?

Ugh...I can't believe I am saying this but I should have just have gotten Madden instead...

Sean*O

Sony needs to make it a policy that always online will not be allowed on their platform. No more of this "it's up to the publishers" crap because they will just do whatever sneaky shit they can get away with.

Sean*O

...and I own this game so FUCK YOU 2K for patching this shit in that I paid $60 for. Trade in time and never another 2K purchase from me.

legend166

I found the game becoming a huge grind in 2K13 when doing a MyPlayer thing. It took ages and ages to upgrade your guy. And what's stupid is you couldn't even buy points in the PC version anyway.

Guess I'm not buying 2K14 if they are going even further in that direction.

Brandson

As nice as it looks, this is the first and last 2K sports game I'll be buying because of this (because I had preordered it). I wasn't crazy about the control complexity but assumed I would eventually figure it out if I stuck with it. I'll probably trade it in instead because of this nonsense.

This whole game is bullshit. It's the one title I regret.

The entire game is based around selling you VC. It's a huge grind without.
The menu system was designed to infuriate you.
The MyCareer cutscenes are a joke and make no sense. Win game and score a ton = GM mad at your performance. Nothing you do changes the way it is presented and YOU CAN'T SKIP THE FUCKING CUTSCENES

Fuck this game and fuck 2K. I'm going to sell it, this is some shady shit and it's basically a F2P game with the fucking VC shilling.

This is the official "damn, I got burned on this game" for me when it comes to launch. I should have fucking Gamefly'd it. Luckily it was part of Amazon's B2G1F so I don't feel too burned. Probably get what I paid for it.

HAHAHAHAHHA THIS!

iJudged

Banned
I dropped 40 points 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks and few steals, won the game for us, A+ teammate rating, mind you its alteady 20th game or so in a season, I come off the bench, getting shit minutes as it is, this moron of a coach asks me after the game "what was that, what happened out there?". CUTS MY MINUTES MORE WHEN I AM EXPECTING TO BE IN THE STARTING LINE UP ALREADY, holy shit the RAGE..... am I suppose to spend money to unlock it or? I am speechless.

I dropped 40 points 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks and few steals, won the game for us, A+ teammate rating, mind you its alteady 20th game or so in a season, I come off the bench, getting shit minutes as it is, this moron of a coach asks me after the game "what was that, what happened out there?". CUTS MY MINUTES MORE WHEN I AM EXPECTING TO BE IN THE STARTING LINE UP ALREADY, holy shit the RAGE..... am I suppose to spend money to unlock it or? I am speechless.

By the way, the only way the coach and gm actually recognize a good game are if you actually meey the dynamic goals set by the coach. you can score 50pts, 20 rebounds and 20assists and if you dont hit the DG's the coach will bench you or lower your minutes. Funny thing is 2k13 and 12 were not like this. This game is beyon broken and there are stingy as hell with the VC, the reason they added drm is becasue there is a way to put in Unlimited VC up to a billion points i believe , yes even on next gen consoles, so they dont want to lose money from the suckers willing to pay 20 bucks for 80000 VC

I don't know about not allowing you to play the game offline (pretty sure I've done it recently), but the game straight up has the worst menus of any game I've ever played. Not only is it ugly as hell but it is extremely difficult to find what you're looking for.

It's way better than previous iterations, but that's because previous versions of this game actually had the absolute worst menus.

Bringing shit up by moving the right analog stick...the fuck, never felt right no matter how many times you used it. 2k14 menus are ugly as sin but at least they're not counter intuitive.

Ban Puncher

Was going to pick this up on PS4 today while I was out.

Instead I will buy a couple of steaks for dinner and save the rest. Thanks for the fiscal responsibility lesson, 2K.

iJudged

Banned
By the way, the only way the coach and gm actually recognize a good game are if you actually meey the dynamic goals set by the coach. you can score 50pts, 20 rebounds and 20assists and if you dont hit the DG's the coach will bench you or lower your minutes. Funny thing is 2k13 and 12 were not like this. This game is beyon broken and there are stingy as hell with the VC, the reason they added drm is becasue there is a way to put in Unlimited VC up to a billion points i believe , yes even on next gen consoles, so they dont want to lose money from the suckers willing to pay 20 bucks for 80000 VC
Wow thanks, didn't know, so broken, my heart and game.

Wow thanks, didn't know, so broken, my heart and game.

Yup, found out the hard way, after sinking in countless hours, also, I am averaging 34ppg and lead the league in steals and points and i am still only getting 19 minutes per game as sixth man. 35 games in. The worst is the dynamic goals you dont get a chance to hit which are the big ones example, coach takes you put the game and game is tied, puts you back in and you are down 20 . Tells you to cut the lead down to 5 , then takes you out the game down 7? WTF??? then your team proceeds to lose the game and you get yelled at by coach. Oh 2k. i swear, if nba live didnt look and play like shit , their modes are actually pretty good and you can actually edit your my player to max rating just like madden. it s just such a prison sentence to play live

What teams are you guys playing for and what position? I was the starting PF for Phoenix in under 20 games.

I was a defensive PF with almost no offense to speak of. 10-15 rebounds and usually 8-10 points while protecting the rim like no other. Of course with time my low post offense is now unstoppable. I'm close to averaging a triple double with 40-50 points. But that wasn't until after getting the starting job.

kmg90

I've never been so confused about a game's mechanics then this "VC" I keep hearing about...

Are they like Madden points from the PS2-era Madden's which would be earned through various goals (running x yards, completing x passes etc) but instead of buying cards with the points it's used for career and GM modes?

turnbuckle

This is ridiculous. This hobby is turning in to the rigged games at a carnival. AI has always found ways of being cheap in games, but when you throw in an extra grind to unlock basic things and add the option of buying your way around it the whole thing looks like a carny's wet dream.

If they're willing to be so blatant with their greed how can we be confident they don't alter the game logic just a bit to work in their favor? Like CPU Guile spamming Sonic Booms and Flash Kicks without having to charge 2 seconds and other shit AI would pull in arcades to eat more tokens.

How much longer til we start getting side-scrolling beat-em-ups that have hit points that also act as a timer with the only way of healing yourself being to spend X credits?

I didn't know this game was infected with this shit too. Glad I'm finding out about it now since this was going to be one of the games I purchased once I got my Christmas bonus.

fuck

HariKari

2k is largely getting a pass because the game looks good. But I own it, and it gets worse the more time you sink into it. For being a really good looking basketball game it doesn't do the whole basketball part very well, especially in MyCareer, which is a "Buy VC please" on rails mode. Shameful.

Saganator

Yeah I was really liking this game at first and was able to look past its short comings. The MyCareer mode starts off pretty cool, and then you realize how shallow it is the more time you put into it. The Park (online 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 pickup games) or whatever its called seemed neat but it never worked whenever I tried it. It wasn't until after a few days of play I realized how big the grind it is. MyCareer really feels like its not meant to be played for a full season. I couldn't imagine doing a full season. Anyone know what its like after your 1st full season? Are you still treated as a rookie or what?

Any chance of getting a refund for this on PSN?

What teams are you guys playing for and what position? I was the starting PF for Phoenix in under 20 games.

I was a defensive PF with almost no offense to speak of. 10-15 rebounds and usually 8-10 points while protecting the rim like no other. Of course with time my low post offense is now unstoppable. I'm close to averaging a triple double with 40-50 points. But that wasn't until after getting the starting job.

Im playing for the suns as well as a SF , 6'9 260 Mini Lebron lol. Averaging 34 ppg and 3 steals, also averaging 5 rebounds and 4 assists per game. Whenever i get to 6th man, it will put me in an unwinnable situation like come back from 20 points down but then take me out the game before i can complete the comeback, thus failing my dynamic goals

kmg90

Yeah I was really liking this game at first and was able to look past its short comings. The MyCareer mode starts off pretty cool, and then you realize how shallow it is the more time you put into it. The Park (online 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 pickup games) or whatever its called seemed neat but it never worked whenever I tried it. It wasn't until after a few days of play I realized how big the grind it is. MyCareer really feels like its not meant to be played for a full season. I couldn't imagine doing a full season. Anyone know what its like after your 1st full season? Are you still treated as a rookie or what?

Any chance of getting a refund for this on PSN?

Sony is pretty good at giving refunds... YMMV though

MyCareer really feels like its not meant to be played for a full season. I couldn't imagine doing a full season. Anyone know what its like after your 1st full season? Are you still treated as a rookie or what?

I've played a full season in previous versions and this is looking very similar. But my complaint seems to be much different than everyone else's in here.

You go from hot garbage to the best to ever pick up a basketball by mid season if not sooner. In the PC version I nearly swept my way through the playoffs and beat Miami in the Finals basically by myself.

Once you put time into the game you find ways to exploit the defense, it used to be wing players with super high sppeed/agility bumrushing the rim or maxed mid range shooting. I'm having a lot of success with posting up this year, 40-50 points on ~70-80% and my low post offense, close shot and shot in traffic are were not even above 70 out 99.

The Phoenix suns will be throwing out a lineup of

Archie Goodwin
Shannon Brown
PJ Tucker
Me
Gortat

and we'll be the #1 seed in the West before half way through the season.

LakeEarth

I've never been so confused about a game's mechanics then this "VC" I keep hearing about...

Are they like Madden points from the PS2-era Madden's which would be earned through various goals (running x yards, completing x passes etc) but instead of buying cards with the points it's used for career and GM modes?

Buying upgrades with in-game money is not new. But some of the first games of this new generation that have such a system have made earning that money harder to the point that the games become a grind, while simultaneously adding the "feature" of buying in-game money with real money. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

tookhster

2k is largely getting a pass because the game looks good. But I own it, and it gets worse the more time you sink into it. For being a really good looking basketball game it doesn't do the whole basketball part very well, especially in MyCareer, which is a "Buy VC please" on rails mode. Shameful.

Totally. It's all good looks with terrible game. I hate the scripted events in MyCareer that don't make sense and force you to lose and all that crap. It's dumb. And how they tricked people into thinking the facial animations were going to be good when it seems like they only focused on a handful of superstars like Lebron,etc. Everyone else in the game looks like shit, and some even look just as bad or worse than the NBA Live faces. And this VC crap is and always has been annoying and makes the game so much less enjoyable.

The servers are also fucking horrible. I couldn't even go against my friend in a private match for the past month. Month. The Park is such a disappointment as well - who thought it was a good idea to make players WATCH other people play for 15 mins just to play a quick game to 21? It's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen in multiplayer.

"Let's just make hundreds of players walk around a giant park with 6 courts and have them struggle to find spots and wait in line to play quick matches of 21, and whoever spent the most $$$ on VC will obviously win!"

I know NBA Live gets a lot of deserved hate and everyone thought this game(2K) was going to be perfect, but I seriously hope EA steps it up because I'm tired of 2K being the only basketball game. They can do whatever they want because there's no competition and it's pathetic because the servers and online mechanics, and even some of the unrealistic game mechanics of 2K are atrocious.

Im playing for the suns as well as a SF , 6'9 260 Mini Lebron lol. Averaging 34 ppg and 3 steals, also averaging 5 rebounds and 4 assists per game. Whenever i get to 6th man, it will put me in an unwinnable situation like come back from 20 points down but then take me out the game before i can complete the comeback, thus failing my dynamic goals

The unrealistic goals are frustrating as hell.....it loses all it's appeal once you get over the hump too. You get treated like shit and then BAM, oh you're actually the MVP, scoring champ and best defender ever. The transition to basketball God needs a lot of work.

Eusis

Has happened, eagerly awaiting response.
Would be kinda nice if they went "well fuck it" and just made them each one time freebie consumables then abandoned the idea entirely.

Or at least only plugged up the glitch and didn't actively bar people from playing offline or anything this fucking stupid.

Jabba

Banned
It's even funnier when you play mycareer and realize your player is getting paid less than it costs to buy a pair of shorts and a shirt for a 2 year contract. Sweet Nike shoe deal? It would be, but it pays less than the cost of a team branded headband. You're basically forced to be Hobo Jordan willing to put up triple doubles for a sandwich.

Even if this is a false alarm.

This also why they want a DD future. Consumer will really have no recourse to a situation like this. You know like, where are you going to trade in an all digital title? Oh that's right! At participating retailers where they give you jackshit on prices, where you can't even shop for a better price anywhere, that's even if the publisher even let you trade the fucking game in the first place.

We need to really start looking at this. Look I know it's fucking hard as I've had addiction problems. Not saying gaming is equal to addiction but it definitely is very similar, at least. I'll even go one further and say in the beggining of getting clean, playing a certain game did the trick. That's just my experience though. The point is, imo, this industry is starting to truly overstep into the area of preying on destructive human falicies. All for the sake of keeping a potentially broken business model.

I never truly believed that games as a whole got THAT much more expensive to make. I hope someone like Bishop or Matt can shed a light on why this is really true in the majority of cases.

Right now, I think, it was a narrative that had to be put into the consumers mind to justify certain business practices at a later point in time. I'm not saying I can't be convinced, just saying, convince me is all. Convince me it's not tons of mismanagement on the publishers part because I do believe that videogames may/may not be art but devs are artists. As an ex artist myself, I wanted to do the best work at all times. Are they all the same? OFCN. I just think the publishers are selling more of a wolf ticket on this one.

There can be differences between profit and falling short of expectations.

I know this is off topic. I was going to post this part first. To reply to you. If the owners of the leagues could get away with this type of scenario, they would. They'd sleep like babies knowing they just paid Lebron James $80,000 per year. While he helped a team make hunrdreds of miliions and a league billions.

Now, should I pull the trigger on DD copy of GT6 and fuel more of my addictions? :p

ramparter

Banned
I hope there are no big retributions, review updates and such and the media don't make a big deal of it. Then next year 2k15 bombs to hell regardless of its actual quality.

BONDO

Im glad there is some negative feedback on this game.
Ive been bitching about 2K and how they have completely dropped the ball on this series for a while now(im a sucker and keep buying since its all there is sadly)
Online services are garbage, same bugs year after year, same quirks, now this.

How does this game continue to rack in great scores? no fucking clue.
Oh it looks fantastic, right

Top Bottom