• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 (next-gen) patched in Always Online requirement

NoTacos

For such beautiful next gen hardware, the games are horrendous. Maybe I should get back to playing Knack since its the only game that seems to work.

dose

Disgusting practice. Does the box say a connection is required? (I'm guessing not) If not, they are fucked.

Bradeh

Neo Member
The kicker here is the fact NBA 2K has one of the worst online services in the entire gaming industry. The service sometimes goes down for entire weeks. I have been unable to use the play with friends mode for nigh on 3 weeks now.

Things like this make me hate something that should be EASY to love. Sony's garbage infrastructure causes any DRM to render games that enforce it obsolete. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of it being in place on either system.) But when I'm literally getting signed out of the PlayStation Network at random (pretty common occurrence, actually), it makes owning a game with always-online restrictions pointless.

Jesus this shit is terrible. This is the exact kind of game I want to have when my internet goes down, where I can just play single player. Oh well I've been enjoying Madden PS4 more anyway.

I just don't understand why there can't be an an offline exhibition mode at least. AC IV is doing all of the fleet missions online too. My internet went down the other night and I couldn't get in and look at my ships.
Wow! Are you sure about that?

The more I dig deeper into this game the more I realized
ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

Hasney

The fleet stuff is online, yes. That's why you need their online pass BS to use it. Basically, it sends your commands to the server and the mission takes x number of hours. When that time has elapsed, the server sends you the results next time you look at the fleet.

Varth

They took out car gifting and trading. Plus the game has always been a bit of a grind.. so even if nothing changed its still a perfect storm for microtransactions.

Not the same thing at all, imho. No gifting or trading, I can manage. It was like this in the old days as well. You would play the game to unlock shit. Change the rules to highway rob me (FM5, NBA2K), on the other hand, and you get called out for being a cheapass. I'm starting a specific "buyer beware" badge just for this and BF4 mag reviews.

Also: thread could use an OP summary and a title change.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah this game is terrible. Not sure if all the F2P economy destroying mechanics and DRM crap is because the devs wanted it or if Take Two forced it in. I haven't played GTAV online but I hear it's a terrible F2P economy made around encouraging the player to spend real money for stuff. Maybe T2 is quietly becoming the next evil company out to screw over games. And I say games, not gamers, because this F2P economy stuff destroys the actual games despite the quality the dev team puts into the rest of the titles.

I'm just keeping NBA2K14 around to play 2p local vs games or the occasional quick game pick up and play vs. AI. But easily the worst game I got on the PS4 and if I knew all the stuff I know now about it, I never would've bought it. Even at b2g1 pricing.

HariKari

But easily the worst game I got on the PS4 and if I knew all the stuff I know now about it, I never would've bought it. Even at b2g1 pricing.

Corporations are blind to this. They largely do not measure quality. They understand that good games sell more, but only in a very basic way. 2k is probably looking at all the revenue NBA 2k14 is making with the addition of VC and salivating at the opportunity to generate even more. It doesn't matter that the players aren't having fun, or that they are irked by what is very clearly a grind meant to get you to spend money. That doesn't show up on a balance sheet, and most publishers/studios can't see it.

"Sales are up? Revenue is way up? Do more of that." It works well for a short period of time but it will bite them in the ass once players catch on. They are essentially building a theme park for the 5% of players or whatever that want to spend on microtransactions and hoping the rest of us don't figure it out.

meppi

And here I was thinking about buying my first NBA game in over 15 years.
Looks like that intent faded rather quickly.

Hasney

Forgot to post about this, but I realised in my last match a couple of days ago just how scripted that MyCareer is. I got one of those stupid goals of bringing a game back for the win while 20 point down. Actually got it tied up, then stole the ball and took a wide-open layup with 13 seconds to go and it missed. I intentionally fouled the guy who got the defensive rebound to make him go to the line and he scored the first, but missed the second.

I'm playing point guard, so I sprinted down the court and called for the pass. Defense hadn't even reached the perimeter when I went for the layup in the paint and... I missed. Lost by a point.

I'm really tempted to start a new career and never go in the offensive perimeter, taking only 3 point shots. I just want to see if someone fouls me during a three pointer, which has never happened to see if I get free throws just to get that free throw missed cutscene to go work on them.

NHale

this sounds ridiculous

Because it is.

Want to change your lineup? Spend VC to unlock that ability! I know changing lineups is barely an essential part of a franchise mode....

So now have the ability to change lineups. Goes to change lineups, realize that you have to spend more VC for every change. It's beyond pathetic. The equivalent of a FPS or RPG it would be having to spend currency everytime you change loadouts or skill trees. Oh boy I can't wait....

It's a scam. And once again not one review mentioned this. From time to time I see some people here defending reviewers from being unprofessional because they are only enthusiasts with opinions about purchasing decision. And apparently they can't even do that properly.

MyGM is a scam and there are two main reasons buy NBA 2K: Online and Association aka MyGM. And one of them is filled with VC currency that barely allows you to do anything without spending that currency. It's absurd and if anyone in the fucking press was able to be at least decent at their job they would have warned us about this. Maybe Tom Mc Shea should spend less time trying to make a "funny" video review or screaming at Medal of Honor developers and start reviewing games properly.

Wow, fuck Microsoft/EA

But gaf told me microsoft snuck this in

Congrats for trying to pull your console war into this. Maybe you don't care about the subject but some do, because while companies implement systems like this and the only thing that matters to some is some silly console war stupidity this will go unnoticed and in a couple of years get ready for the next iteration of F2P games that cost 60€/$60 that will only be worse than already is.

But hey at least my favorite manufacturer of plastic consoles is not directly responsible for this. Hurray us! Hurray my favorite big corporation!

kmg90

Jesus this shit is terrible. This is the exact kind of game I want to have when my internet goes down, where I can just play single player. Oh well I've been enjoying Madden PS4 more anyway.

I just don't understand why there can't be an an offline exhibition mode at least. AC IV is doing all of the fleet missions online too. My internet went down the other night and I couldn't get in and look at my ships.

The fleet stuff is online, yes. That's why you need their online pass BS to use it. Basically, it sends your commands to the server and the mission takes x number of hours. When that time has elapsed, the server sends you the results next time you look at the fleet.

The fleet stuff is online due to the companion app as you can manage the fleet, even when you are not running/playing the game[/I].

I would also point out the fleet stuff is so much more manageable with the companion app as it can used at anytime...

I recommend it to anyone who is likes the fleet management mechanics, as I downloaded the companion app the day I got the game and have used the actual in-game interface to manage the fleet once and thought it was a very abysmal experience compared to using the app.

Also the online pass gate has been eliminated.

jpd1408

Banned
The game is great nbt the VC thing does suck. Deleted my my player save bull shitting around the menu and don't know if I want to grind through all the damn cut scenes that u can't skip. Great game though

nba2k games are fucking snake oil

just cause they make really pretty trailers doesn't mean the games are good

this is why live needs to be at least decent because 2k literally gives no fuck otherwise. nba 2k11 remained their strongest effort last gen and it came as a response to the excellent nba live 10.

Hasney

The fleet stuff is online due to the companion app as you can manage the fleet, even when you are not running/playing the game[/I].

I would also point out the fleet stuff is so much more manageable with the companion app as it can used at anytime...

I recommend it to anyone who is likes the fleet management mechanics, as I downloaded the companion app the day I got the game and have used the actual in-game interface to manage the fleet once and thought it was a very abysmal experience compared to using the app.

Also the online pass gate has been eliminated.

Have the companion app and didn't even know this, but I did only fiddle around before I had unlocked the fleet. That would have been easier than booting up my Vita this morning for remote play...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This is grade A douchiness. Their online system is fucking terrible. I'm in a league here on GAF, or well WAS in a league on GAF but due to their servers issues I'm not anymore. If Visual Concepts is going to require an online connection to play the least they could do is let us fucking play online.

Both 'next-gen' games I own are completely unplayable offline. Fuck you BF4, and Fuck you NBA2k14. God damnit I'm really starting to hate 'next gen'.

Because it is.

Want to change your lineup? Spend VC to unlock that ability! I know changing lineups is barely an essential part of a franchise mode....

So now have the ability to change lineups. Goes to change lineups, realize that you have to spend more VC for every change.

I'm playing MyGM, so maybe it's different in other modes, but the first sentence here is a non-issue: you have enough VC after a game or two to unlock this and a bunch of other stuff; plus once you unlock it once, you have the ability forever on that character. The second sentence is just untrue: it doesn't cost VC to change your lineups, unless, again, it's different in different modes.

That said, I'm no apologist. This is some bullshit.

clav

#moarDRM

Not only is there disk DRM, but also online DRM.

Destiny will do the same.

Blizzard has already done this on PCs.

Welcome to the future.

Omega

Banned
Because it is.

So now have the ability to change lineups. Goes to change lineups, realize that you have to spend more VC for every change. It's beyond pathetic. The equivalent of a FPS or RPG it would be having to spend currency everytime you change loadouts or skill trees. Oh boy I can't wait....

It's a scam. And once again not one review mentioned this. From time to time I see some people here defending reviewers from being unprofessional because they are only enthusiasts with opinions about purchasing decision. And apparently they can't even do that properly.

MyGM is a scam and there are two main reasons buy NBA 2K: Online and Association aka MyGM. And one of them is filled with VC currency that barely allows you to do anything without spending that currency. It's absurd and if anyone in the fucking press was able to be at least decent at their job they would have warned us about this. Maybe Tom Mc Shea should spend less time trying to make a "funny" video review or screaming at Medal of Honor developers and start reviewing games properly.

Even on GAF I never heard about this so it's not just reviewers dropping the ball. Most of us already expect that since we know reviewers don't do their job, so usually GAF comes through with the important news.

Granted I don't go to the 2K14 OT because I don't own the game, but the game came out nearly a month ago. A friend of mine was complaining about this stuff a few weeks back but since I saw no mention of it anywhere else, not even from other friends, I assumed he was just exaggerating.

It's just sad. I knew 2K was going to go this route after getting 2K13 on launch. I got it at midnight, came home and waited for my friend to get on so I played some blacktop mode, and 3 people had the blue ice jewelry that increased stats by like 20 or something.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So glad I read the last few pages of this thread before I opened the game. I returned it and got Lego Marvel Super Heroes instead. Will never buy another 2K product again.

Eusis

What's the big deal, surely everyone has Internet by now
Sarcasm?

I certainly hope so, we're seeing posts in here about connections flaking out and how this is more to protect a BS microtransaction model than anything else, even Diablo III's variant was arguably just as much to benefit consumers as get Blizzard some money (well, the consumers who want to sell their gear anyway) though it ended up an awful idea.

nba2k games are fucking snake oil

just cause they make really pretty trailers doesn't mean the games are good

this is why live needs to be at least decent because 2k literally gives no fuck otherwise. nba 2k11 remained their strongest effort last gen and it came as a response to the excellent nba live 10.

This.

I'm just kinda taken back that people are just now getting upset at 2K despite 3-4 years of phoning it in and using shitty online infrastructure. This year has actually been the biggest improvement since 2k11.

iJudged

Banned
ok what the fuck is going on, I am trying to play myplayer and it keeps asking me to create one, why? I don't want to create it I want my old dude back, I put in wayyyyyy to much time into him, what is going on right now? Are the servers down maybe? SOMEONE HELP?

my stats all reset, everything is 25? I can't even.................

eival

so much for all that celebrating about how "we won" when both consoles said they wouldn't have DRM earlier in the year and the next generation was "saved"

you can guarantee this wont be the only game. also this all but reassures EA Sports can restart their Online Pass stuff, maybe not charging, but certainly doing things to make you accept having to be connected. most of their games pretty much did that already, like Tiger Woods you had to be signed in to use the Pins and other crap, but on the flipside all the freezing issues were associated with that background bandwidth transfers cause once you signed out, the games never froze.

Nintyb

Banned
ok what the fuck is going on, I am trying to play myplayer and it keeps asking me to create one, why? I don't want to create it I want my old dude back, I put in wayyyyyy to much time into him, what is going on right now? Are the servers down maybe? SOMEONE HELP?

my stats all reset, everything is 25? I can't even.................

That just happened to me as well....

so much for all that celebrating about how "we won" when both consoles said they wouldn't have DRM earlier in the year and the next generation was "saved"

you can guarantee this wont be the only game. also this all but reassures EA Sports can restart their Online Pass stuff, maybe not charging, but certainly doing things to make you accept having to be connected. most of their games pretty much did that already, like Tiger Woods you had to be signed in to use the Pins and other crap, but on the flipside all the freezing issues were associated with that background bandwidth transfers cause once you signed out, the games never froze.

Both consoles ended up saying it was up to the publisher. Once again, this system was available to the previous consoles.

eival

Both consoles ended up saying it was up to the publisher. Once again, this system was available to the previous consoles.

the uglyness of it, is they waited till after the game came out to implament it.

i think GTA Online was just the tip of the iceberg of games holding off nefarious parts of its gaming past its initial release.

i wouldnt be surprised if microtransactions arent held back till a post-release patch as well, after seeing how much focus it got with these initial release games, just to get past that initial review which Metacritic only allows and doesnt take edited scores into calculation and is a major part of the entire gaming industry. most games already have something that says "coming soon" and alludes to some type of store but in the future they can just not even have those placeholders visible to the review copies and come up with some contrived reason like 2K did to say why it needs to be implemented.

and the way the review industry works wont allow any of them to really boycot or hold out cause they already fight to get the earliest review as it is now to get traffic and attention to their site, holding off and trying to uphold some personal "morals" or "stay true to their readers" wont last, unless they're doing it on Tumblr or something for free in their spare time at another job

Sean*O

Might be coming time to just skip out on launch day buys completely, wait for a price drop and when you know all the hidden details.

How did I miss this news completely?

This is crazy

Always online DRM patched in after release? This is some EA level BS

And it looks like its done so as to protect any microtransaction exploits from what I can tell?

I guess i'm in the minority but I love this game. Looking forward to taking My player through to the hall of fame than onto having him be the GM.

My only major complaint is the imbecilic dialogue, that coupled with the inability to skip those idiotic cut scenes.... Can I please make my guy not talk like an idiot.... drives me up the wall. At least the soundtrack this year is infinity better.

I guess i'm just use to always being online. TBH last gen i wouldn't play if I couldn't connect to online either. I prefer always online games that give me real life updates. I like that I get updates about what is happening in the real NBA. I can understand peoples gripes, I just don't share them...

Top Bottom