• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 (next-gen) patched in Always Online requirement

Asd202

Haha buy DRM free game and some weeks later make a mandatory patch that adds DRM. That's just great. Fuck you 2K.

Yea, woeful iteration of what was (in NBA2K11) a beast of a game. Since they introduced VC in 2K12 they've managed to slowly erode all the fun from this title...shame ... it coulda been a contender..

• My Player is just horrendous with the useless cutscenes .. all the space this takes up could have been invested in designing better menu's or additional animations
  • Menus are woeful (pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey effort in trying to find some settings)
  • Having to buy animations that should be stock within a game (jumpshots, fade aways, etc) ... sack whosoever thought of this strategy ... disgusting
  • Load times shockingly long due to the online negotiations going on in the background ..
  • Options are not saved (Playcalling in particular, cameras too)

Back to the drawing board 2K, and don't be so greedy next time ..

EDIT: I bought this and FIFA14 with the PS4, and must admit for those lookin' for a quick sport hit, I've found FIFA a helluva more pleasant experience than this vapid, money-sucking, holding-you-to-ransom-for-another-animation-to-unlock, glitchfest.

LakeEarth

They do this secretly after launch, after reviews, after people who would've NEVER bought an online-only game has bought it? That's fucking awful, and I eagerly await the upcoming shitstorm. I hope there are review updates.

Hasney

My whole experience with NBA 2k14 has talked me out of buying anything from 2k in the future unless all this crap is out of it. It's been a joke.

My first playthrough was good. I was really enjoying MyCareer mode despite a few bugs and silly things. You get called into the GM's office once every 5 games or so and everytime I say everything is great, I get the same bugged cutscene where the GM cuts himself off while talking about playing me at 2k. Fine, I can live with that. Even the really slow method of upgrading your player because it needs to save your VC balance to the 2k server after every little upgrade I can deal with because the core game is so fun.

Then my save corrupted, including the uploaded one on PS+. Shit happens, especially on a launch game on a brand new console, so I'll suck it up and start again... That's when the wheels really started falling off. The following occurred:

• All the VC bonuses previously earned throughout MyCareer can no longer be unlocked in the new career, meaning I can't upgrade my player. Can't even buy a suit for draft day because I don't get that 2000 VC bonus for the rookie game
  • Internet cuts out mid-match and it boots me back to the menu. No grace period or anything, as soon as the PSN was signed out, the match ended
  • All the cutscenes are unskippable, even the long ones that happen by default, making it a chore
  • It doesn't matter what the coach says about my minutes, I'm getting 28 a game no matter what. Even if I fail at his ridiculous expectations and get called into a meeting
  • I found out you can get VC bonuses by using a phone app... But it's broken, I got the daily VC bonus once and now the app says I'm locked out of it for 30,000+ hours and the NBA results predictor doesn't give me credits either
  • Even if I gave up and decided that 2k won and I'd give them money for their stupid fucking currency (I wouldn't), I can't because it's a US game and I'm on a UK profile
  • All uploaded video is silent JUST IN CASE copyrighted music is playing
I'm done. Quite frankly, I'm glad to have the 70GB back rather than deal with they way they've done this. No hope at all for the WWE game now.

coldfoot

Banned
Good thing I don't play basketball games, but I will never buy a 2K game again in my life until this changes, since every one of them now has that risk. Isn't that a violation of consumer rights anyway? I hope there is some class action lawsuit for selling a game that doesn't require online, and then patching it to require it. There has to be. Even if it drives 2K out of business, they deserve it.

This is only the first step guys, Always Online for every game is coming. I and many others have the capability to handle this but millions of potential buyers are screwed.

Wow. A new low. I'd be flipping out right now had I bought this game. I really hope for the future of gaming that they end up severely regretting this. If this kind of shit doesn't deserve a massive boycott I don't know what does.

hesido

EA, your chance to not screw up the next time.

It was fun dissing you, but 2K needs to be punished for what it does.

I was going to buy NBA 2K14, now I won't. But I just can't buy NBA live the way it is.

Sincerely,
Hesido

Virtual Currency is the least of your worries with this buggy as game. NBA2K14 is a total mess as far as game play is concern. Last Gen games plays 10times better.

Smokey

Yea, woeful iteration of what was (in NBA2K11) a beast of a game. Since they introduced VC in 2K12 they've managed to slowly erode all the fun from this title...shame ... it coulda been a contender..

• My Player is just horrendous with the useless cutscenes .. all the space this takes up could have been invested in designing better menu's or additional animations
  • Menus are woeful (pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey effort in trying to find some settings)
  • Having to buy animations that should be stock within a game (jumpshots, fade aways, etc) ... sack whosoever thought of this strategy ... disgusting
  • Load times shockingly long due to the online negotiations going on in the background ..

Back to the drawing board 2K, and don't be so greedy next time ..

NBA2K11 was the first best basketball game ever imo. I don't think they will top it. It all went downhill when they issued a patch for the game because casuals found it too hard. SMH. NBA2K11 was god tier before the patch.

I'm part of the problem. I buy this shit every year but I literally have no other basketball alternative.

Okay, now I'm concerned.

My son is getting this for PS4 for Christmas, so it sounds like he might open this Christmas morning and possibly be stuck on the title screen? He never plays 2K13 online, just does the offline player career.

Downright underhanded to patch this after the fact. Complete BS, IMO.

If my mother-in-law hadn't already purchased it, I would take it off of his list.

Boke1879

I'm pretty damn upset. I bought this game digitally so there is absolutely no way for me sell this game and get a refund. Seriously we need to blow this shit right back into 2K's face. This is not acceptable.

Seriously who the fuck do they think they are?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well...for all the hate and ridicule Live 14 got vs 2K14 in the graphics dept...if this isnt a requirement for Live....its stock just shot up tenfold for me.

Yea...someone in another thread said in a response to me graphics is probably 3rd in what makes a good game. In this case I would totally agree.

And 2K isnt alone....GTA V...you have to be signed in to use BAWSAQ. I dont think you can do the all the stock manipulation missions with Franklin n Lester without logging in.

Steroyd

The fuck is this shit? I've been eyeing up the NBA 2k4 series for just over a year now, and was going to finally jump on this one when it got cheap enough.

Fuck this shit!

Wait a minute, I just got on the PS4 and loaded it up. There's the menu with Quick Game, MyCareer, MyGM and Features. Does that mean Australia hasn't updated yet?

I was considering buying some VC, like an idiot. Guess I've been saved that particular indulgence. Getting traaadddeeeedddd the fuck in.

EDIT: Wait, maybe its patched and you can still play the game if PSN is down?

LeBoef

think all drm fighters will slowly realize that they re fighting against wind mills...

its like that woman in germany that sued health insurance companies. her case: women had to pay more than men and she said it is discrimination.
she won the case. now men have to pay as much as women. women dont pay less...

you never win, when fighting against companies.

I'm pretty damn upset. I bought this game digitally so there is absolutely no way for me sell this game and get a refund. Seriously we need to blow this shit right back into 2K's face. This is not acceptable.

Seriously who the fuck do they think they are?

How do we go about protesting this? I bought this game at launch and would not have done so had I known this. I am royally pissed right now.

We need a unified front like we had for the DRM thing.

I'm tempted to go into town and trade it in against ACIV on PS4. I wasn't going to be playing this game online as i am useless at sports games and wanted to pick one and get good at it with my housemates. If i can't even play it offline without internet then i'll trade it against something else.

Anyone know what Game uk are taking for it?

Personally, I don't mind always online. My console is always at home and my home always has access to the internet and in all honesty, my power drops far more often than my internet does. However, I don't like the consumer fraud aspect of this. They should have told people about this on the box or given them the choice of opting out of the currency system and staying offline or opting in and staying online.

Not sure why you need to be always online for this anyways. You can't save the game in the middle of a game can you (which could maybe lead to save file hacking for credits)? Why not just auto-update at the end of a match and if a person is offline, tell them they need to connect or lose all credits earned for the match?

I suspect this is how they will get games in the future. Says you can play offline, patches in online requirement at a later date.

Sounds like a one way ticket to class action lawsuit. That's legit fraud.

coldfoot

Banned
think all drm fighters will slowly realize that they re fighting against wind mills...

its like that woman in germany that sued health insurance companies. her case: women had to pay more than men and she said it is discrimination.

Health insurance is different. You don't need entertainment companies like 2K, but they need you to spend your money. Don't buy ANYTHING from 2K unless this changes.

Majukun

very coward of them to patch it in post release.
people who haven't bought this game shouldn't buy it at any cost,and everyone should NOT buy it next year...i know it's hard for a basketball fan,but it is what they are counting on..if you give up and buy it anyway,this will became the norm and you'll have lost your right to complain

I'm sorry, but this story killed me. It's so damn true, the companies always win.

I was considering buying some VC, like an idiot. Guess I've been saved that particular indulgence. Getting traaadddeeeedddd the fuck in.

Please, god don't. I know they work you, they give you that carrot and you have to chase it and the path is so long and frought with peril, but please don't buy VC. I honestly feel like this might shape up to be the generation where I quit gaming, where the bullshit just isn't worth it anymore. The winds of change are blowing and are swiftly bringing in an unending tide of microtransaction hell. I'm trading my copy in but I feel guilty about it because I don't even want to inflict this on anyone else, this game is an awful always online soul destroying grind fest.

LeBoef

Health insurance is different. You don't need entertainment companies like 2K, but they need you to spend your money. Don't buy ANYTHING from 2K unless this changes.

you wont have many AAA games left to play if you boycott those with always online modes or microtransactions...

Steroyd

I'm tempted to go into town and trade it in against ACIV on PS4. I wasn't going to be playing this game online as i am useless at sports games and wanted to pick one and get good at it with my housemates. If i can't even play it offline without internet then i'll trade it against something else.

Anyone know what Game uk are taking for it?

Game have an app where you can scan the game case and find out in the comfort of your home and if it doesn't match with what the store is offering they give you an extra £1.

For reference CEX are buying for £32.

Amneisac

Yep, add my voice to those who are disappointed. I have bought the last few NBA 2K games, but I'm done if they keep this up. I had noticed that my game wouldn't load sometimes, and it always seemed to be when the 2K servers weren't available. There's no reason for this and I'm definitely voting with my wallet next time.

This is our future. And the second that people find an exploit for forza and gt6 currency it will happen in those games also.

And, somehow, gamers defend this shit. It doesn't affect the design of the game! Uh huh. Not until the 2nd or 3rd patch.

Top Bottom