• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Prepare for a Spicy Food Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The battle isn't eating the spicy wings...the true battle lies on their way out.

NaughtyCalibur said:
You pretty much have the right idea with #1, except you need to make sure whatever you eat isn't just spicy, but "OMFG I'M DYING" hot. Then after you get through that pain, you put yourself through it a few more times until it becomes only mild discomfort. Once this is accomplished, you will pretty much be invincible, at least when it comes to the mouth. You will still probably feel like shitting yourself afterwards and have to make a mad dash to the nearest toilet. I know this from experience. :/ (the video I linked above is a friend and I, with me being the one on the right)
Watching that video (and some others) has me really nervous hahaha

Fong Ghoul said:
HA! You took it like a champ. Can't say the same thing for your buddy. Looked like he got pepper sprayed.

Was he spitting in his lap?

Haha, nah after he started drooling into his napkin I grabbed him a waste basket because I had a feeling he wasn't going to stop. :p

crisdecuba said:
Watching that video (and some others) has me really nervous hahaha

I wouldn't worry too much. I highly doubt that the wings are anywhere near as hot as this stuff. Do they make you sign a waiver before eating the wings? If not, chances are it's probably only gonna be somewhere around Dave's Insanity level of heat, which is still really hot don't get me wrong, but I don't think it'll make you feel like death.

But everybody reacts differently, as you saw, so I don't know. You're just gonna have to test yourself before the challenge. See what your limits are. ;)

Esch

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
hahaha... USA-Whiteys!

I literally eat raw habaneros with some of my meals.

LOL. Step ya game up. India-GAF laughin atcha.

120px-Naga_Jolokia_Peppers.jpg

NaughtyCalibur said:
I wouldn't worry too much. I highly doubt that the wings are anywhere near as hot as this stuff. Do they make you sign a waiver before eating the wings? If not, chances are it's probably only gonna be somewhere around Dave's Insanity level of heat, which is still really hot don't get me wrong, but I don't think it'll make you feel like death.

But everybody reacts differently, as you saw, so I don't know. You're just gonna have to test yourself before the challenge. See what your limits are. ;)

They do make you sign a waiver haha. And it's called the "Ghost"-something challenge, which makes me think it's that "hottest pepper."

But,

just went to the store and got some "naga" chilis. I ate a sliver (2mm x 1 inch) wedge. It was super hot, but doable.

I'll try bigger portions in a bit.

Do you guys think it would be good, when I'm there, to "ramp up" by having a bit of tobasco sauce (like 1/2 teaspoon) and then some habanero sauce? (That would be as opposed to just diving in and having it hit me all at once).

crisdecuba said:
They do make you sign a waiver haha. And it's called the "Ghost"-something challenge, which makes me think it's that "hottest pepper."

Yup sounds like they'll be using that Bhut Jolokia pepper. I remember watching an episode of "Man vs. Food" the other day where for one of the spicy food challenges they used a pizza sauce that was Sriracha mixed with blended up ghost peppers. I bet the sauce on the wings will be something like that. So your best bet would probably be to find a sauce that has the ghost pepper in it as an ingredient to prepare yourself for the real deal. The only one I know of off the top of my head is "Dragon's Blood," but I'm sure there are others.

It probably won't be just ghost pepper either. Chances are they'll mix it with habaneros, jalapenos and -- if they're really fucking evil -- wasabi. Just to be on the safe side I would probably get some wasabi to try as well, because if you're not prepared for that particular burn (one that goes right for the nose) you may be screwed if it turns out they use it in their wing sauce.

CrankyJay

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Do you guys think it would be good, when I'm there, to "ramp up" by having a bit of tobasco sauce (like 1/2 teaspoon) and then some habanero sauce? (That would be as opposed to just diving in and having it hit me all at once).

That's not a proper ramp up homey. =(

Oh and perhaps it's just me, but I would probably refrain from doing a "ramp up" right before the challenge. Depending on what the challenge sauce consists of, the leftover Tabasco and habanero sauce sitting on your tongue may actually increase the heat you'd otherwise feel. From personal experience I've noticed that certain hot sauces can go from "ouch" to "holy %^$#" just from the addition of a greatly lesser spicy sauce/ingredient. I'm no chemist so I can't explain how or why that's the case, so like I said maybe it's just me... but I'd be careful lol.

AndyD

aka andydumi
CrankyJay said:
Actually, something else I saw Adam do with a spicy wing challenge...he used his fingers to take all of the meat off the bones, and THEN ate the meat in one pass.

This does two things:

1. It will let you eat faster
2. It may help prevent the wings from touching your lips.

This. Definitely do this. Put lotion on your hands an hour or so before, so that you wont get sauce stuck in your fingernails too. Then pick off the meat off the bone and swallow it in one go. Less contact with your mouth, less chance to burn you.

Alternatively, make a pile of all the meat then eat it in 1-2 big bites. If you are allowed to strip all the wings at once. Done with the heat in 30 seconds, then just wait out the 5 minutes.

CrankyJay

Banned
AndyD said:
This. Definitely do this. Put lotion on your hands an hour or so before, so that you wont get sauce stuck in your fingernails too. Then pick off the meat off the bone and swallow it in one go. Less contact with your mouth, less chance to burn you.

Alternatively, make a pile of all the meat then eat it in 1-2 big bites. Done with the heat in 30 seconds, then just wait out the 5 minutes.

You got it!

NaughtyCalibur said:
Yup sounds like they'll be using that Bhut Jolokia pepper. I remember watching an episode of "Man vs. Food" the other day where for one of the spicy food challenges they used a pizza sauce that was Sriracha mixed with blended up ghost peppers. I bet the sauce on the wings will be something like that. So your best bet would probably be to find a sauce that has the ghost pepper in it as an ingredient to prepare yourself for the real deal. The only one I know of off the top of my head is "Dragon's Blood," but I'm sure there are others.

It probably won't be just ghost pepper either. Chances are they'll mix it with habaneros, jalapenos and -- if they're really fucking evil -- wasabi. Just to be on the safe side I would probably get some wasabi to try as well, because if you're not prepared for that particular burn (one that goes right for the nose) you may be screwed if it turns out they use it in their wing sauce.
Thanks for the feedback (also about not ramping up).

Funny thing, I did wasabi eating in college (just me and friends seeing who could take the most) and would win.

I don't think I can find the "dragon sauce," but I did get those naga chili peppers (seems to be the same thing as the bhut jolokia peppers.

Should I just eat those, chewing them up finely, or should I try to make my own sauce of some sort by blending it together with some tabasco or habanero sauce?

Edit: Lots of good advice coming! Thank you all!

CrankyJay

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Thanks for the feedback (also about not ramping up).

Funny thing, I did wasabi eating in college (just me and friends seeing who could take the most) and would win.

I don't think I can find the "dragon sauce," but I did get those naga chili peppers (seems to be the same thing as the bhut jolokia peppers.

Should I just eat those, chewing them up finely, or should I try to make my own sauce of some sort by blending it together with some tabasco or habanero sauce?

You would be surprised what sort of shit you can order on Amazon.com. Hot sauces, yes. =)

Not sure you want to pay $32 (it's a 6 pack) for this though: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LL27UY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ShinAmano

Just curios are you doing this at Caliente in Richmond?

If so i feel for you. I love the wings and spicy food, but they do use ghost peppers and it is not fun.

I made it through, one other friend did as well, one friend did not and another guy was puking his brains out for about 45 minutes after eating them.

The other guy who finished complained about it for the next few days...but I don't think he was much for eating really spicy stuff in the first place.

TheRagnCajun said:
Chances are, you're going to regret it the next morning.
Actually, that brings up another question. Assuming I'm going to do the bananas and pepto approach, followed by milk after it's done, would it be better to:

1. Suck it up and digest
2. Throw it up shortly after the event is done

I can see the risk with #1 (the pain out the other end), and yet I also wonder if there's a risk with #2 in letting all that stuff come back up.

ShinAmano said:
Just curios are you doing this at Caliente in Richmond?

If so i feel for you. I love the wings and spicy food, but they do use ghost peppers and it is not fun.

I made it through, one other friend did as well, one friend did not and another guy was puking his brains out for about 45 minutes after eating them.

The other guy who finished complained about it for the next few days...but I don't think he was much for eating really spicy stuff in the first place.
Nope, sorry. Haha it's surprising how common this seems to be! :)

CrankyJay

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Actually, that brings up another question. Assuming I'm going to do the bananas and pepto approach, followed by milk after it's done, would it be better to:

1. Suck it up and digest

I can see the risk with #1 (the pain out the other end), and yet I also wonder if there's a risk with #2 in letting all that stuff come back up.

Dunno man. You save your ass from burning but then you're reburning your throat and mouth.

ShinAmano

Slappers Only said:
If you have to use the restroom afterward, don't touch ANYTHING.
Best advice yet...noting like the fire of hot peppers in your sensitive areas...if nothing else follow this guys advice.

Seriously even multiple hand washings wont help...be careful.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Fernando Rocker said:
hahaha... USA-Whiteys!

Once at work I ordered a big box of atomic or whatever they were called hottest hot wings and brought them for lunch. Had like 3 then had to stop, some other guys in the office had a few and didn't get very far. One of the guys was from Ghana and he was just taken them by the hand full, I think he lost some respect for us that day.

To help the op, I dunno. I think the homer wax idea might be your best bet.
I have never done a heat based eating contest but I did get my picture on the wall at a burger joint for eating just a large burger and fries. All I have to say for something like that is use your knife and fork, your jaw will get tired a lot faster than your arms.

Hex

Banned
I did the Quaker Steak challenge that was on MvF, and am thinking of doing the munchies 420 challenge which he only got through 2 wings.

Eat it fast is key BUT if you eat too fast you will get hiccups and then you are done.
Eat fast but breathe.
Like has been said you your teeth more than your lips, wipe your hands often.
Do not drink while eating the wings, let it go numb.
BREATHE.
The pulling the meat off of the wings is not so much for the reasons said, it is an old trick for getting more sauce on your hands than in your mouth.
If they will let you do it, so be it.
I didn't feel the need but for Munchies I just might.

Prepping before hand by eating some cherry peppers or habaneros is not a bad idea, or fresh jalapenos (not from a jar)

Dude, eating hot shit one week before this could end up doing more harm than good. It takes way longer than a week to get used to eating super-hot food, and you risk messing up your stomach.

If this were more of an endurance run than a sprint I'd say you need some training. But you just need to stuff the meat down as quickly as possible, then tough it out for 5 minutes. It's all mental. Torturing yourself the week before isn't going to help that much unless you just have zero experience with spicy foods and need to know what to expect.

Just remember - it's not going to kill you. Pain can be tolerated. If there's prize money, stay focused on that (if there's not, what the fuck are you doing man?). Get it over with as quickly as possible, then sit like a boss for five minutes.

As others have said, the absolute worst part is the 24-48 hours after. I don't know what to tell you on that. I guess shower carefully with soap after each movement? Or does that make it worse? Pepto is your savior also. And Tums.

I love eating really spicy food, but I hate the collateral anal damage.

Plasmid

Fernando Rocker said:
hahaha... USA-Whiteys!

whiteys, really?

I literally eat hot sauce with some of my meals.

I literally use ethanol with some of my drives.

I literally talk on my phone with some of my calls.

I literally eat taco bell with some of my shitty soda.

Fong Ghoul said:
Dude, eating hot shit one week before this could end up doing more harm than good. It takes way longer than a week to get used to eating super-hot food, and you risk messing up your stomach.

If this were more of an endurance run than a sprint I'd say you need some training. But you just need to stuff the meat down as quickly as possible, then tough it out for 5 minutes. It's all mental. Torturing yourself the week before isn't going to help that much unless you just have zero experience with spicy foods and need to know what to expect.

Just remember - it's not going to kill you. Pain can be tolerated. If there's prize money, stay focused on that (if there's not, what the fuck are you doing man?). Get it over with as quickly as possible, then sit like a boss for five minutes.

As others have said, the absolute worst part is the 24-48 hours after. I don't know what to tell you on that. I guess shower carefully with soap after each movement? Or does that make it worse? Pepto is your savior also. And Tums.

I love eating really spicy food, but I hate the collateral anal damage.
See, the collateral damage is why I'm considering just throwing it up afterwards.

lljride

I've always wanted to try one of these spicy challenges (I work less than 5 miles from Chunky's, where they filmed the MVF 4 Horsemen Burger Challenge), but I hate that no eating/drinking anything for 5 minute rule. Seems like that would be the worst part, sitting there in agony with nothing to do.

clav

crisdecuba said:
See, the collateral damage is why I'm considering just throwing it up afterwards.
Don't do that.

You risk burning your esophagus lining, which will equate the experience of extreme heart burn.

Just back out now if you don't want to tolerate the painful consequences.

crisdecuba said:

1. Suck it up and digest

As bad as it is going in, its always more painfull coming out the other end. If you can bear a little self-induced vomitting, I'd say thats the way to go.

claviertekky said:
Don't do that.

You risk burning your esophagus lining, which will equate the experience of extreme heart burn.

Just back out of it now if you don't want to tolerate the painful consequences.
Oh I'm willing to tolerate it. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

The more I think about it, the more I think throwing up would be more likely to have complications... stuff accidentally going up my noise, accidentally wiping my eyes, and what you mention about the extreme heartburn. :)

Beaulieu

Giant Robot said:
where are you doing this at?

I did this at the place Adam Richman did, before it changed its name to Smoke Eaters in San Jose. Shit is fucking unappetizing because it's more pasty than saucy.

I ate HALF a wing and ran next door to a grocery store and tried to down a half gallon of milk......or what actually turned out to be GOAT'S MILK. I proceeded to puke all night long, unsure if it was from the hot wings or the goat's milk.

ahahaha!

aparisi2274

crisdecuba said:
So I'm going to try this spicy chicken wing eating challenge. They're supposedly insanely spicy. (The waiter said the most common outcome is that the person will eat 3 and then either quit or throw up.)

The rules seem pretty standard:

* 10 minutes to eat 10 wings
* No napkins, you have to lick your fingers clean
* No drinking or eating anything else
* After finishing the 10 wings, you have to sit there for 5 more minutes with no food or drink

So, any tips on how to prepare for it? I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Eating spicy foods throughout the week leading up to it
2. Drinking milk before the challenge
3. Drinking Pepto before the challenge

Anything else you guys would suggest to make it more likely that I succeed?

1. Ask for surgical gloves. if they say No, thats ok.
2. Pull all the meat off the bones first. Do not try to eat wings off the bone.
3. EAT 2 or 3 Bananas the day before the event. The banans coat your stomach for a day and half after you eat them and it will help tremendously when you try to evacuate these hot wings from your body.
4. Drink a nice glass of milk early on the day of the challenge. Milk also coats the stomach and makes it easier to digest and evacuate these hot wings.

Do you mind me asking what the hot sauce is that makes these wings so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom