• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Prepare for a Spicy Food Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
aparisi2274 said:
1. Ask for surgical gloves. if they say No, thats ok.
2. Pull all the meat off the bones first. Do not try to eat wings off the bone.
3. EAT 2 or 3 Bananas the day before the event. The banans coat your stomach for a day and half after you eat them and it will help tremendously when you try to evacuate these hot wings from your body.
4. Drink a nice glass of milk early on the day of the challenge. Milk also coats the stomach and makes it easier to digest and evacuate these hot wings.

Do you mind me asking what the hot sauce is that makes these wings so hot?
The name of the challenge is ghost-something so I think it's the ghost chili pepper (naga / bhut).

Oh, and what do you guys think of the suggestion to drink Anbesol right before?

Don't induce vomiting afterward. There's a chance some of the oils can get into your nasal cavity and then it's game over for you. That'll be able to cause some permanent damage.

So as a test I just went to BW3s and ordered 12 of their blazin wings (the hottest thing they have on the menu, extra wet). It came with a little sticker that said that it might irritate my skin.

here's what I learned:

1. the things that hurt the most were my lips and the cut on my index finger (didn't even know I had a cut).

2. the wings feel too hot (temp wise) to rip the meat off. if they don't allow latex gloves I'm not sure what I'll do.

3. with the lip and the finger pain, it was hard to remember the "it's all mental" mantra. I will need to be interentionally focused throughout.

4. the spiciness level wasn't bad at all on my tongue or throat.

ill have to come back and force myself to rip the meat off despite the temperatuee heat of the wings...

but overall not bad. finished in 9 minutes and the 5 minute wait was pretty easy.

edit: I know this likely pales in comparison to what will happen at the actual thing, but its at least good to know a little bit of what to expect.

s7evn

Don't do wing challenges. I've only done one wing challenge and it was 11 wings in 11 minutes, the whole night I had uncomfortable stomach pain until I eventually threw up a huge pile of gunk. The sauce to chicken ratio is too little for the stomach to handle (maybe eat something else to go along with it?).

I too am preparing for the Buffalo Wild Wings challenge. Build yourself up by doing it at home a few times.

ALSO - Get a great Buzz going before hand. I've practiced multiple times and I had 0 problems when I was buzzed.

Edit: Be prepared for the Ring of Fire the next day. Own it and tweet about it (might happen multiple times).

NorrenRadd said:
I too am preparing for the Buffalo Wild Wings challenge. Build yourself up by doing it at home a few times.

ALSO - Get a great Buzz going before hand. I've practiced multiple times and I had 0 problems when I got a good buzz going.

Edit: Be prepared for the Ring of Fire the next day. Own it and tweet about it (might happen multiple times).
How are you preparing? Like what sauce are you using?

And you don't find it harder to have determination when you're buzzed?

Raxel

My friends and I did a Dorset Naga (locally grown version of Bhut Jolokia) challenge where we each had to chew on the raw pepper for 30 seconds before swallowing.

- Milk will help, but not by much. I got through a gallon and then poured cold water on my tongue under a sink until it stopped hurting.
- You won't feel anything for 10-15 seconds, then it's basically pain suppression for 30-45 mins.
- It's going to ruin the rest of your day, I felt like I'd burned my throat.

I think I saved a video of it somewhere.

Today I experienced the "out the other end" pain.

Yesterday, I had: 1 tspn Tabasco Sauce, 1 tspn Habanero sauce, 1 wedge (2mm x 1") Naga / Bhut Chili Pepper, and 12 "Blazin'" wings, extra wet, at BW3s.

I drank a beer and milk after the wings, but this morning it definitely stung coming out the other end.

Objectively speaking the pain is bearable, but it's definitely annoying.

So, any tips on making it easier coming out the other end? I'm not against ointments or whatever.

claviertekky said:
You're going to have some burning stomach/gastro pain and diarrhea after that contest.

Some Koreans and Chinese love eating extra extra spicy foods. I don't know how they can handle that kind of stuff.

I overheard at a family that ordered extra spicy sundubu at a Korean restaurant once, and they all finished it.

They were talking about the meal aftwards, and one of them said, "Eating this wasn't so bad. My tongue hurt a lot at first, then it became numb the more I ate it, so then I could actually finish it."

I just don't understand. The thought of stomaching extra spicy chili is revolting.

They like spicy food but not absurdly painful. I've been to Korea. While there food is pretty darn spicy it's no ghost chilli spicy. I took a ghost chili challenge. Never again. That was the worst pain I've felt.

CrankyJay

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Today I experienced the "out the other end" pain.

Yesterday, I had: 1 tspn Tabasco Sauce, 1 tspn Habanero sauce, 1 wedge (2mm x 1") Naga / Bhut Chili Pepper, and 12 "Blazin'" wings, extra wet, at BW3s.

I drank a beer and milk after the wings, but this morning it definitely stung coming out the other end.

Objectively speaking the pain is bearable, but it's definitely annoying.

So, any tips on making it easier coming out the other end? I'm not against ointments or whatever.

You could always vaseline the hole.

Ourobolus

Banned
I did the BW3 challenge in Oklahoma City and it was fine. Finished with a minute to spare or so. The worst part is after you eat. I didn't prepare at all before going in there, and other than the painful shitting for the next day, it wasn't too bad.

I could be wrong, but the "Blazin'" wings on their menus aren't as spicy as the ones they actually use for the challenge, IIRC.

aparisi2274 said:
1. Ask for surgical gloves. if they say No, thats ok.
2. Pull all the meat off the bones first. Do not try to eat wings off the bone.
3. EAT 2 or 3 Bananas the day before the event. The banans coat your stomach for a day and half after you eat them and it will help tremendously when you try to evacuate these hot wings from your body.
4. Drink a nice glass of milk early on the day of the challenge. Milk also coats the stomach and makes it easier to digest and evacuate these hot wings.

Do you mind me asking what the hot sauce is that makes these wings so hot?

How does that work, exactly? Food is supposed to stay in your stomach/small intestine for only 6-8 hours before moving on to your large intestine. What's special about bananas that makes them stay in your stomach so long?

I'm no scientist, but if bananas are supposed to help (not sure why they would, but it "feels right") I would eat them as soon before the event as possible so they "travel" along with the wings.

Thinking about this more, I would prep by eating waffles topped with ice cream and bananas. First, because dairy will help dilute the oils that cause the burning, the waffles will help soak it up, and the bananas because of the theory that they help "coat" the stomach. Second, because that sounds like a pretty awesome meal.

Also, I think whoever said getting a buzz on beforehand might be a good idea is onto something. That will help numb you a little bit, and will help with the "mental" part. Heck, pop a couple Tylenol beforehand too. Can't hurt.

So: Waffles with ice cream and bananas, then liquor, then wings.

Fong Ghoul said:
Also, I think whoever said getting a buzz on beforehand might be a good idea is onto something. That will help numb you a little bit, and will help with the "mental" part. Heck, pop a couple Tylenol beforehand too. Can't hurt.

So: Waffles with ice cream and bananas, then liquor, then wings.
I thought about the Tylenol, actually. I think I'll do that also. :)

So, Vaseline seems like an option so far for the latter end of things... unless there's something else better also. :)

From the experience I've had from a similar challenge, the most difficult obstacle was something I didn't even consider: Temperature heat. What happened was the wings burnt the roof of my mouth and made it peel. Naturally, the sauce got into said openings....and made the experience 10 X worse. For the love of god, let the wings cool down before shoving them in your mouth!

goober

Squall ASF said:
From the experience I've had from a similar challenge, the most difficult obstacle was something I didn't even consider: Temperature heat. What happened was the wings burnt the roof of my mouth and made it peel. Naturally, the sauce got into said openings....and made the experience 10 X worse. For the love of god, let the wings cool down before shoving them in your mouth!
Wtf just reading that made me wince shit dude.

Leucrota

Rip the meat off the bone, DO NOT eat it off the bone. It takes time to get the meat off but you will not get a lot of sauce on your face.
ALSO, just don't do it, it is never worth it.
ALSO ALSO, you are already dead.

goober said:
Wtf just reading that made me wince shit dude.
Yeah it sucked. If you've ever eaten a mini pizza too quickly after taking out of the oven/microwave or really, anything with really hot melted cheese, you've probably experienced the roof of the mouth peel thing I'm talking about. That + ridiculous spicy wing sauce = bad news bears.

Squall ASF said:
That sounds like it sucked! :-(

I just called the place - they said you can't use latex gloves... so that gives me two concerns:

one is that I have a couple of cuts on my finger, but I think that can be solved with a couple of bandaids.

the bigger one is that I'm worried about the temp of the wings when ripping off the meat. from the videos Ive seen they come out scalding - smoke coming off them when the meat comes off the bone.

any tips on how to rip the meat off most easily?

crisdecuba said:
That sounds like it sucked! :-(

I just called the place - they said you can't use latex gloves... so that gives me two concerns:

one is that I have a couple of cuts on my finger, but I think that can be solved with a couple of bandaids.

the bigger one is that I'm worried about the temp of the wings when ripping off the meat. from the videos Ive seen they come out scalding - smoke coming off them when the meat comes off the bone.

any tips on how to rip the meat off most easily?
I didn't know any place allowed gloves, they didn't where I had my contest either. If you want to be extra sure sauce doesn't get into your cuts, you could place a piece of scotch tape over the wound and then put the bandaid over that. Will hurt a bit when you peel off I'm sure but nowhere near as bad as if sauce gets in there.

Can you use a fork? That would be fairly effective at peeling off the meat I would think. I didn't think about trying this technique out when I did it, just ate off the bone. I did try quickly biting the meat off of multiple wings before attempting to swallow with the same theory in mind. Didn't work well, the heat stacked and it was worse than an individual wing. I think my wound mentioned in the previous post played into that so I still think it worth trying. Especially because taking all the meat off the bone and piling it would allow you to eat it faster than what I did which means less time that the sauce is sitting in your mouth.

CrankyJay said:
I'm fairly certain they will not let him use utensils on this challenge.
This will definitly be true but wasn't sure if maybe they would for just the peeling part. Will certainly have to use hands to eat it in the least. I would say ping the wing between two fingers end-end and blow on it to cool it down before trying to tear off the meat. If you pin with your index fingers, you could probably sping/turn the wing with your middle fingers to cool down all sides.

Enco

Dunk#7 said:
You also now have less sensitive taste buds.

Eating hot stuff over a long period of time raises your tolerance by damaging your taste buds.

I love spicy foods, but I try not to go too far with it.

The hottest thing I have ever tasted: Blair's Jersey Death Sauce

Blair%27s%20Jersey%20Death%20Sauce.jpg

It is listed at 1,100,000 scoville units. (Tabasco only has 2,000) (Habanero peppers only have 100,000 to 350,000)
http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm
Why something like this exists is beyond me.

Talk about overkill.

perryfarrell said:
use fork and knife for the first few minutes, then when they're cooled down use your hands.
Edit: Sorry, meant to quote Cranky - I don't think they'll let me use utenstils. I think I'll just need to do the scotch tape and bandaid thing for the two cuts (which conveniently enough are on the fingers I'll be using to rip the meat off), put lotion on (mentioned earlier - so that the sauce doesn't get underneath fingernails), take some tylenol beforehand, delay the start of it as much as possible (assuming they don't let me wait for it to "cool down") and then just grin and bear it and rip away.

Edit #2 - Squall - It's the internal temperature, rather than the outer temp, that's the issue. But I'm sure I'll still blow at some point hahaha.

My brother in law is a spicy food fiend; the guy puts hot sauce and hot peppers on everything imaginable. He recently had the opportunity to eat a whole ghost pepper and his friends recorded the event. He tried to shrug it off as no big deal, but it was pretty obvious from the video that this pepper took him down without even trying... Good luck, you're going to need it.

Starfish_Oxide said:
Local Aesthetic?

I doubt there's anything strong enough over-the-counter to make a difference. Pretty sure ghost chili heat would steamroll right over freakin' Anbusol. (Is that the most useless drug store item ever or what?)

And I can't recommend making any chewing motions all numbed up from Novocaine, either.

drspeedy

Enco said:
Why something like this exists is beyond me.

Talk about overkill.

I've had a few ultra-hot sauces like this and they can be surprisingly flavorful while scorching hot . One ghost chili sauce we keep around, Mad Dog 357, is quite tasty in reasonable doses and packs in around 600,000 SU... and I love the Zakk Wylde Berzerker sauce that Blair's makes, really hot, but amazing on meat. Now the one time I got a dose of Blair's 2am?

Not a good idea.

That stuff would make for a good stool softener if it wasn't for the extreme burning sensation as it exits. So like some of the other advice on here, just try to keep from touching your face or lips, the rest of your system is gonna take a beating for a couple of days, no matter what. And WEAR GLOVES AFTERWARDS, you won't wash all that oil off no matter how hard you try, and you think it's bad on your backside the next day? Handle your junk before it's off your hands...

KJTB

NaughtyCalibur said:
You pretty much have the right idea with #1, except you need to make sure whatever you eat isn't just spicy, but "OMFG I'M DYING" hot. Then after you get through that pain, you put yourself through it a few more times until it becomes only mild discomfort. Once this is accomplished, you will pretty much be invincible, at least when it comes to the mouth. You will still probably feel like shitting yourself afterwards and have to make a mad dash to the nearest toilet. I know this from experience. :/ (the video I linked above is a friend and I, with me being the one on the right)

Dude that was hilarious hahahaha

crisdecuba said:
Edit: Sorry, meant to quote Cranky - I don't think they'll let me use utenstils. I think I'll just need to do the scotch tape and bandaid thing for the two cuts (which conveniently enough are on the fingers I'll be using to rip the meat off), put lotion on (mentioned earlier - so that the sauce doesn't get underneath fingernails), take some tylenol beforehand, delay the start of it as much as possible (assuming they don't let me wait for it to "cool down") and then just grin and bear it and rip away.

Edit #2 - Squall - It's the internal temperature, rather than the outer temp, that's the issue. But I'm sure I'll still blow at some point hahaha.

I thought you were implying you didn't know how to peel the meat off because the wings are scalding so you couldn't hold them long enough.

Malvolio

NaughtyCalibur said:
You pretty much have the right idea with #1, except you need to make sure whatever you eat isn't just spicy, but "OMFG I'M DYING" hot. Then after you get through that pain, you put yourself through it a few more times until it becomes only mild discomfort. Once this is accomplished, you will pretty much be invincible, at least when it comes to the mouth. You will still probably feel like shitting yourself afterwards and have to make a mad dash to the nearest toilet. I know this from experience. :/ (the video I linked above is a friend and I, with me being the one on the right)

I've got a bottle of that stuff too. I only keep it around as a joke. I love spicy food and have a large hot sauce collection, but that stuff is insane. My friend from Texas came up and tried to convince me that there was no way I had a hot sauce that he couldn't handle. One drop on his tongue and 30 seconds later and he was on the ground rolling from pain and a bit of laughter too. I honestly have not tried it again after the first day I picked it up. Pure insanity.

RevDM

Banned
Just slam like 3 shots of vodka 15 min before hand and get a decent buzz going. Your mouth will be numb. You'll be fine.

crisdecuba said:
How are you preparing? Like what sauce are you using?

And you don't find it harder to have determination when you're buzzed?

I prepare by doing it without a timer. I buy the wings from BWW or Wingstop and make sure to COAT them in the hottest sauce.

No determination while buzzed? I haven't had that issue, maybe it depends how you deal with alcohol? I generally find things hilarious when drunk, so it makes it easier.

It seems generally physically easy to eat the amount of food, the spice just slows you down.

Haha it'll be tonight. Video to come!!

Thanks to everyone for the tips - esp those who PMed as well.

I told my friend about it and he instantly said he wanted to do it too. I gave him all the tips, but he's the "I can do anything" type, so I wonder if he'll heed my advice...

I highly recommend anyone that likes hot sauce look into getting some Blair's 3 AM. You can possibly find it cheaper elsewhere online, but that's just a link to help show you what I'm talking about.

It's the hottest sauce I've ever found at a reasonable price range and it's absolutely awesome. I find it quite great to throw into spaghetti sauce for spicy spaghetti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom