• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The price?

[edit]

Compared to the original US release, netlink and 3D controller support, slightly better graphics. The original EU and JP releases had the graphics, and the Japanese Plus added support for the 3D controller.

3D controller support isn't really interesting imo. The port was designed for digital inputs, analogue doesn't add anything, except maybe jittery controls. I didn't like it at all.

If you can play imports, don't bother with either American release. The cheap one was rushed and the expensive one is expensive. Get a Japanese disc, everything is in English like every other SEGA arcade conversion. If you can't play imports, the difference between US and JP are minutes and the gameplay is intact = it's still a fantastic game. Don't get the PAL one unless you're in PAL land playing on a PAL console. It's optimised, and well optimised: the additional scan lines show more of the scenery and the timing is identical to the 60Hz version, but the bottom of the screen will be cut on a 60Hz console.
I've had the original japanese release for a few years, ended up picking up netlink anyway since my comic shop had it CIB for $15

Khaz

Wait I thought the netlink edition was super rare and selling for hundreds? What am I mistaking it for?

[edit] Daytona USA CCE Netlink. That's the crazy expensive one.

As annoying as it is to walk back and forth until Melody has Aura level 3, the Hattari is a little cute.

8xowf7S.jpg

FN-2187

What's the best emulator at the moment for a Windows 10 system, i5, 1070 ect PC.

I've had by far the highest success rate with the Mednafen Saturn core in Retroarch. It plays every single game I have (50+). I'm not sure if you can run the games right off the disc though. I ripped everything.

piggychan

Got a new game to my collection, been on the lookout for this one.

Awesome little arcade fighter with music by Masanao Akahori of Assault Suit Valken fame which is why I got it in the first place.

Whats always surprised me with that game is the Electronic Arts publishing.

Galdelico

Got a new game to my collection, been on the lookout for this one.

(...)

Awesome little arcade fighter with music by Masanao Akahori of Assault Suit Valken fame which is why I got it in the first place.

Beat the game once > unlock the zooming option > turn off the zoom > enjoy it even more. :)

I'm guessing you mean the cheap ones, because a lot are not cheap.

I live in Japan remember, a lot of the games I would want are fairly cheap all things considered (though the going rate in my town seems to start at 500yen at the biggest shop (250 at the others)

I've had by far the highest success rate with the Mednafen Saturn core in Retroarch. It plays every single game I have (50+). I'm not sure if you can run the games right off the disc though. I ripped everything.

I swear I need a baby's first SS emulator guide guys, I can't get any of them to even start/open. -why can't this be simple!-

Found copies of Virtua Cop, Fighters Mega Mix, and X-Men Vs. Street Fighter yesterday. So far been playing them at my friends bar since he has a million retro game consoles set up but eventually think I will just buy a console myself if I can't get the emulator working this holiday break. @.@ Now at 6 games for a console I've never owned haha. bye bye paycheck.

D.Lo

I live in Japan remember, a lot of the games I would want are fairly cheap all things considered (though the going rate in my town seems to start at 500yen at the biggest shop (250 at the others)
Sega first party, dating sims, text heavy RPGs and the odd very common Capcom games are cheap.

After that it moves through the following price brackets: Super Famicom prices -> PC Engine prices -> My daughter does not go to university because I bought Hyper Duel.

MikeMyers

Well like I've mentioned before, a lot of Saturn classics are still cheap if you go import route.

Sega Rally
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter 2
House of the Dead
Virtual On
Last Bronx
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Fighters Megamix
Die Hard Arcade
Sakura Taisen
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Vampire Hunter
Dead or Alive

It's basically the RPGS you are screwed on unless you read Japanese.

koopas

I swear I need a baby's first SS emulator guide guys, I can't get any of them to even start/open. -why can't this be simple!-
If you live in Japan I would definitely buy an actual Saturn console over emulation. Hit up Hard-Off and you can pick one up for under 40usd easily.

MikeMyers

Plus shooters, many 2D fighters, beat em ups, many action games...

I have about 100 Saturn games and probably over half are worth around ¥‎4000 or more.
OK should have said mainly.

But I still think you can get a good deal out of a Saturn in 2016.

Guys, I just realized the Saturn is a terrible system. Why else would nobody buy it in the 90s? You should follow their lead and stop buying games for it. kthxbye!

Edit: In other, more serious news, I didn't label my Saturns before moving and the one I set up definitely has a drive that is failing. I really hope I am able to finish Desire Mine before it gives up completely. That at least explains why it didn't even have a battery in it.

IrishNinja

Finally playing MSH vs. SF.

Is it me, or does the Hulk do a lot of damage?

i mean...he's the hulk

Well like I've mentioned before, a lot of Saturn classics are still cheap if you go import route.

Sega Rally
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter 2
House of the Dead
Virtual On
Last Bronx
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Fighters Megamix
Die Hard Arcade
Sakura Taisen
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Vampire Hunter
Dead or Alive

It's basically the RPGS you are screwed on unless you read Japanese.

Maybe we can make our own Saturn buying guide. Surely can't be worse than MetalJesusRocks.

i think you just did, and it's already better, yeah!
as a fan of racketboy, man going over their old pages on turbo/saturn stuff on the cheap is rough sometimes, haha

MikeMyers

Lol true. I was considering saying the Worldwide Soccer games since it was a one of the defining series in Europe, but Sport Games tend to get ignored by Retro gamers.

IrishNinja

they really do, and i think that's a shame. there's some great throwbacks - especially from the genesis era - when arcade type gameplay still happened in major sports games. other times i think they just benefit from simplicity: i still have more fun with NHL 94, RBI 93, NBA Jam, Mutant League Football, Evander Holyfield Real Deal Boxing and others than i do with a lot of more sim-like modern sports titles.

related: ive not played a sports game on neo geo that wasn't a blast

MikeMyers

Yeah. Especially since besides Sonic and MK, Sport Games really defined Mega Drive. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe is too good.

I also still like Worldwide Soccer 97 on Saturn, just for the Gary Bloom commentary. Feel like watching footie on the British telly, lol.

MikeMyers

What I've noticed is the defining Saturn games seem to vary per region.

Japan - Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars
UK - Sega Rally, Worldwide Soccer
USA - Nights into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon?

Sega console success varies per region too.

Went past a Hard Off today and scored these for 700Y total!
Victory Goal '96 (eventually Sega Worldwide Soccer) is always cheap, but the other two not quite so much.

WEShDoal.jpg

I loved soccer games of this era, before they got a little too involved imo. I was super happy to start up Victory Goal and be greeted by an intro sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi! And it's awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2Wjume1iU
The game surprised as well, 3d graphics that are quite solid and stable, gameplay was simple and fun! Need to give it some more time later.

KOF '96 and '97 I was pleased to pick these up (reluctant in the past due to owning multiple other versions of them). 96 is unfortunately the version from the RAM pack which doesn't have a spine or back label but i'lll live. Just KOF '95, Samurai Shodown 3 & 4, Metal Slug and World Heroes Perfect to go and i'll have all the Saturn SNK games i want :)

If you live in Japan I would definitely buy an actual Saturn console over emulation. Hit up Hard-Off and you can pick one up for under 40usd easily.

Yeah, I will most likely do it next time I head over to a bigger city like Fukuoka, there are no consoles here in my town, tons of games though.

Anything I should look for when buying a Saturn? signs of damage, accessories I should grab with it, so on and so forth.

Which town are you in? I'd just suggest yahoo auctions if you have nowhere close, you'll have no trouble finding one on there. Most descriptions are honest and you can usually assume they've under-rated condition as well. Getting started you just need a controller, AV and power cables! And a CR2032 battery :D

Which town are you in? I'd just suggest yahoo auctions if you have nowhere close, you'll have no trouble finding one on there. Most descriptions are honest and you can usually assume they've under-rated condition as well. Getting started you just need a controller, AV and power cables! And a CR2032 battery :D

I'm in Kagoshima, our hardoff, bookoff, and mangasoko used shops never have saturn consoles for sale. Always eye it when I travel to another city or town though. Friends want to go to Fukuoka to see Star Wars in IMAX so I figure I might grab it on the way out of the city last day.

MikeMyers

You guys ever try Sonic into Dreams?

It's interesting. I still think it would have been better if he could transform into Super Sonic and play like NiGHTS instead of just staying in regular form and playing like the humans.

MikeMyers

I was playing that last night and it made me wonder if that had anything to do with internal politics revolving around Sonic Xtreme.

"I WILL QUIT IF SEGA USA USES NIGHTS ENGINE FOR SONIC!"

"Hey why not let Sonic be usable in the Nights Christmas spinoff?"

Damnit Yuji Naka.

IrishNinja

You guys ever try Sonic into Dreams?

It's interesting. I still think it would have been better if he could transform into Super Sonic and play like NiGHTS instead of just staying in regular form and playing like the humans.

love it, totally going back in tonight! and yeah i was surprised they didn't do it that way too, i was kinda looking for that

love this stuff, hopefully we get more!

I was playing that last night and it made me wonder if that had anything to do with internal politics revolving around Sonic Xtreme.

yeah knowing what we know now about it i can see it being just that, he was clearly already furious

MurderOfPoes

Neo Member
Has anybody emulated it and wound up being unable to play the Guardian Dragon fight? Does anyone know a workaround?

Are you using SFF? If so, which version? I found that PDS has some weird bugs in 0.12 beta R4, such has increased collision models. Had to jump back to R3 to continue playing.

Khaz

It's been years since I've used an emulator but I think it was as easy as
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/SaturnGame.iso

You need to copy the redbook audio too for games that use it, and put it together with a .cue file for the emulator to be able to see it. The easiest is to do a bin/cue so you don't have to deal with encoding the audio.

You need to copy the redbook audio too for games that use it, and put it together with a .cue file for the emulator to be able to see it. The easiest is to do a bin/cue so you don't have to deal with encoding the audio.

That makes sense. I typically play on real hardware and the only time I've ever done this is with Shining Force 3 which I think uses real-time audio rather than Redbook.

D.Lo

I've been on a Saturn buying spree recently, thanks to the shooter talk in the retrograf thread for emptying my bank account. Game tengoku/Paradise is so awesome. It's like the original Game Center CX game! And story mode is like Wreck it Ralph. So clever. I got a brand new copy of the special edition with a VHS lol.

It's got me kind of bummed I will never own certain games however. Tempo, Astra Superstars... If there was ever anything, these are the things that would send me down a repro path if such a thing existed for Saturn...

Top Bottom