• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Theorry

Element, another insider who has been reliable on inner MS Studios in recent past said kinda the opposite

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246393776&postcount=2143

Budget isn't really decreasing, just the games they are making are costing more.

The idea of a "blank check" has never really been true...not sure why people kee thinking just because they are under MS they have a blank check.

Was about to say that. That "blank check" thing sounds abit weird. I mean thats just stupid thing to do even for MS.

Yeah, I mean sounds like he is just going with the "general consensus" of what people feel/seeing on what may or may not be actually happening. At least imo, I really wouldn't be too worried right now.

If all of 2018 comes and nothing is really mentioned then there will be some time for panick, personally. In the meantime, at least their 2018 is looking good imho (yes I know things were delayed).

JlNX

We have had insiders say MS are not giving Xbox much to work with. The budget isn't increasing.

I think I know about one insider your talking about who I wouldn't call an insider given his very shaky info and not confirming anything, while also not giving very much. The only other insiders I have seen say that have just been using it to rationalise what is going on at Xbox like Matt or Shinobi602, because they don't see much happening so thats what they think is happening and they have both said they could be wrong. I think you would have heard from Ms insiders before anyone else if this was a thing, you could only get this info from leaked financial documents or somehow an xbox exec or board member talks. If these insiders are getting this info from staff or developers were its a work rumour around the studio or HQ, then I wouldn't take it seriously due to a lot of studios have had that for layoffs or studio closure that never came to fruition. It's why I'm usually very wary about insiders with financial info due to the very locked down nature of it. Not saying it's not a likely scenario, the reason a lot of people have come to that rationalisation is because it could make sense. I'm just not up to taking it as final word until I see definitive info, I still think a lot of the reasons is due to bad management at Xbox with different ideas internally about how to increase the profit margin.

blakep267

Element, another insider who has been reliable on inner MS Studios in recent past said kinda the opposite

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246393776&postcount=2143

Budget isn't really decreasing, just the games they are making are costing more.

The idea of a "blank check" has never really been true...not sure why people kee thinking just because they are under MS they have a blank check.
My takeaway is also they aren't going to be as daring or frivolous in the future. Things like quantum break and Sunset overdrive must've cost a ton(relative) and they didn't do well. Where as something like halo, albeit not the juggernaut is still going to sell alot(by exclusive standards) and also going to give you MT money.

I think the future is
- indies(sometimes timed exclusive)
- game preview games(Conan, pubg, black desert)
- AA exclusives(Ori, recore, Cuphead etc)
-BC
- tentpole GAAS( halo, gears, Forza hopefully SoT)

My takeaway is also they aren't going to be as daring or frivolous in the future. Things like quantum break and Sunset overdrive must've cost a ton(relative) and they didn't do well. Where as something like halo, albeit not the juggernaut is still going to sell alot(by exclusive standards) and also going to give you MT money.

I think the future is
- AA exclusives(Ori, recore etc)
-BC
Yep, I agree fully. Also Zhuge clarified he doesn't mean a literal blank check, just that they really don't have the head room to go out and sign something huge, kinda like you said.

They will continue to spend big money, as Element said also, on 1 GaaS game instead of making 4 other moderately big games. I'm seeing them do more remasters, AA games, and the like, but noThing too huge like a brand new "Halo" type franchise.

I don't think MS would be able to survive if all of that is true,i mean come on. Then again, they did try out new IP and they failed. It's not like they didn't try.

But again, it's just one game but what about that Horizon ZD-like game? That sure doesn't sound like something small.

Should probably add AoE IV and the AoE 2/3 remakes to the OP under Partner Studios.
Yep, OP needs some work.

Last week we have had

Rise of Nations coming to Win10 Sept 14
Age of Empires DE coming to Win 10 Oct 19
Age of Empires 2 DE and 3DE announced for TBA
Age of Empires 4 announced for TBA
PUBG being published by Studios
Disneyland Adventures Remaster Oct 31
Pixar Rush Remaster Oct 31
Zoo Tycoon Remaster/Extension Oct 31
Minecraft Better Together "Fall"

Trago

I don't think MS would be able to survive if all of that is true,i mean come on. Then again, they did try out new IP and they failed. It's not like they didn't try.

But again, it's just one game but what about that Horizon ZD-like game? That sure doesn't sound like something small.

I think it's foolish to expect absolutely nothing new from Microsoft. They'll always try new stuff to see what hits hard. Thing is, they want their hits, so playing things safe and close to the chest seems to be the way they're going.

blakep267

I mean that's 1 game. They aren't going to completely abandon the non GAAS AAA sector. Plus it could be more towards the size of a state of decay and not a Halo title

JlNX

I think the future is
- AA exclusives(Ori, recore etc)

Yep I think we could see MS morph into a modern EA situation, alternating massive titles that get the majority of the budget expanding the GAAS model further. EA originals/MS Global Publishing, more small titles like ORI and Recore (AA) as the primary new investment. Any new IP will be designed from the ground up for GAAS and will get the majority of Xbox budget rather than splitting it among 2 or 3 games, ie SOT and whatever else Rare makes. But they also for the PC and console market seem to be taking cues from Valve with a proprietary store and expanding early access program, building up core PC titles that can command an audience over to the store like AOE 4 and Halo. Your going to see MS build up that Dota/counter strike win store platform game, I think we are going to see it in the form of AOE and a big Halo PC focused title in Halo 6. I see AOE 4 being a big GAAS alongside Halo 6 on Pc for them including Forza, trying to expand into that PC racer market to grab marketshare and further move Forza into that GAAS model looking at iRacing and such. Forza changing elements of the game to enthuse that hardcore audience. I hope for them they can capitalise on it, if they can really get their store up to the standards the community wants then they can endear them with a really good AOE4 and a built from the ground up PC Halo 6. Just like Valve I see them relying on these titles, using there store as a place for third party and making the majority of their money that way. It may not be what I want, but it could work really well for them and I will always like Halo and I'll keep coming back for the AA titles.

Jrs3000

After reading all his post it make sense what he was saying. The division isn't cut, they are just receiving the same usual amount as previous years instead of an increase. Now they must be smarter with the $$$ they have. Makes sense.

wapplew

Valve swimming in money without breaking a sweat, sell hats and be a good middleman. Why waste money making game?

After reading all his post it make sense what he was saying. The division isn't cut, they are just receiving the same usual amount as previous years instead of an increase. Now they must be smarter with the $$$ they have. Makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense. Well not that it's a good thing, I wish they would provide them with huge amounts of funds, but what are we gonna do. To be honest I'm managing quite fine with my Xbox all this year and last year too despite not a whole lot of exclusives, plenty of games in general to play. I'm not making any excuses though, I wish they would be just like Sony. So that on top of all the third party offerings we'd get some very promising things from MS as well.

Next year could possibly be a very good year for MS though, depending on how games like SoT and SoD 2 turn out. And Crackdown of course. And to be honest I've kinda given up on MS really turning things around and again I'm managing fine with Xbox as the main console. And next year a PS4 Pro for the exclusives, and a Switch.

JlNX

That HZD job posting was not in relation to a game similar to HZD but for a job in VFX, saying it is in-line with HZD VFX level (cutting edge graphically open world game.) It's not saying it's a single player HZD like, it is more than likely a big AAA GAAS game like an anthem that will make them a lot of money. It seems to be connected to PG, with PG's game being a open world shooter which would fall in line with a destiny like GAAS that would make them a lot of money.

Yep they need to take that money and make sure it gives them the biggest returns possible, because thats were they will get there funding from. That doesn't come from risky new IP's like Sunset, Halo GAAS and AOE4 will make them a lot of money.

sam12

Seems it's set now, all 3 are doing their own thing now

If you want GAAS games sprinkled with the three tentpole franchises and a few AA like Recore, good hardware for western 3rd parties then go for Xbox or PC if you can spend more

If you want Nintendo 1st party with portable then go for Switch

If you want single player driven games along with the best 3rd party support from West or Japan then get PS

Keinning

along with the best 3rd party support from West (...) then get PS

I don't think this is necessarily true. 3rd party west titles are mostly even, one x is getting more support for games than PRO apparently (just ask cdredprojekt) and things like EA access, Game Preview and 3rd party titles being added for BC/gamepass show that at least on that front, Xbox still got some support, speaking strictly for western mid to major devs. Playstation still got the edge on number of indies, but that could change with the return of not-XBLIG (but probably won't).

Vinc

Seems it's set now, all 3 are doing their own thing now

If you want GAAS games sprinkled with the three tentpole franchises and a few AA like Recore, good hardware for western 3rd parties then go for Xbox or PC if you can spend more

If you want Nintendo 1st party with portable then go for Switch

If you want single player driven games along with the best 3rd party support from West or Japan then get PS

This doesn't sound like something you do by choice. Sony also has games as a service, though most of those come through third party. Nothing prevents them from offering those, and MS isn't in a better position than they are to offer these. I always find it odd when people say MS is going in a different direction by choice right now, when it comes to software. To me, it sounds like they're essentially giving up on the console ecosystem, and are instead trying to justify the existence of a games division within Microsoft by trying to branch out to other platforms, but so far it doesn't look like that direction is working at all either.

Even with a tight budget, MS shouldn't be that stupid to think they can stop having one big AAA new IP every now and then.

My expectation for a company of MS's scale used to be "at least 1 new AAA IP announced annually." With all that's happened, my expectation is scaled back to 'at least one every 2 years" now.

They're not saying Microsoft is shutting up shop or anything, they're just saying the status quo isn't going to change. So there'll still be games that don't fit into the typical Microsoft franchises, like Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves, but they're not going to be as frequent as most people want them to be.

Having said that, you really shouldn't read into that "Horizon-like" job listing as if it's an announcement or leak. Not only are job listings often very vague, that listing had nothing to do with the gameplay, it was for an environment artist with a style similar to Horizon. So even if it was accurate, for all we know, it could've been for a post-post-apocalyptic Forza Horizon 4 or something.

I don't think this is necessarily true. 3rd party west titles are mostly even, one x is getting more support for games than PRO apparently (just ask cdredprojekt) and things like EA access, Game Preview and 3rd party titles being added for BC/gamepass show that at least on that front, Xbox still got some support, speaking strictly for western mid to major devs. Playstation still got the edge on number of indies, but that could change with the return of not-XBLIG (but probably won't).

CD Projekt Red are supporting both.

LiquidSolid

Ok thanks man. I misunderstood it then, sounds like something I have been expecting then. Which definitely is unfortunate but it is what it is.

The thing is, early this year we all thought we'd be playing State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3,Forza 7 later this year. Because MS pretty much said that. That would have meant a very very decent to great actually holiday lineup but during E3 State and Sea all of a sudden were delayed and recently Crackdown 3 as well.

I'm good though, these games clearly weren't ready by any means and I rather have them working longer on it. But let's say these titles had not been delayed there wouldn't have been this much negativitiy alongside the joyful news about One X.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm wondering if they're purposefully delaying their way to a full exclusive line up next year (which is looking pretty good, in isolation), accepting the hit in 2017 where they were hoping the XB1X would carry it instead. And then hoping they can do something about 2019.

I'm not suggesting it's necessarily a strategy that's working well, I'm just wondering if that's what they're trying to do.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Nah, it's going all Destiny/Spartan Ops with REQs everywhere is my guess.

As long as there's a campaign to play, and a level playing field arena, I'm happy with whatever they put in over and above that.

I said this in the Halo 5 OT, but I'd not mind if Halo 6 took the ODST format of standard levels being accessed through a central hub, which itself was a shared world a la Destiny.

sam12

You are right, I should have specified Japan only

sam12

I am actually legit excited about the future now. Now that I have stopped comparing them to Sony.

Good for the delays of Crackdown, much rather play a great game than one that needs to be fixed.

This fall alone am excited about Cuphead, PUBG and heck I'll even give Super Lucky Tales a try to see if it's good. Why knock something new out without trying it first? Not a racing fan so not into Forza 7.
Plus all the 3rd party games like AC Origins and whatever else launching, I am more than happy with the lineup

Next year looks amazing and hopefully will mark a new era for Xbox under Spencer. Happy about SOT, SOD and C3 launching in early next year so they can actually sell during that time with little competition. Really excited for Ori 2 though. Plus Black Desert will probably launch as well. Looking forward to a good E3 and a good year, andI am sure they will have something new to show next year.

AAMARMO

Banned
Figured I'd post this here since people were talking about Zhuge's tweets yesterday.

Phil responded: https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/900132748706402307

I think Phil has done a stupid move by replying to that tweet. Many people in the industry have heard the same thing Zhuge's has heard. This could turn into a PR disaster if these claims are true we could see many articles appearing about their future business plan and decision. If this wasn't true I would believe Phill wouldn't say a No or an Yes.

I think Phil has done a stupid move by replying to that tweet. Many people in the industry have heard the same thing Zhuge's has heard. This could turn into a PR disaster if these claims are true we could see many articles appearing about their future business plan and decision. If this wasn't true I would believe Phill wouldn't say a No or an Yes.

Not really.

If Phil is right, then Zhuge's source is wrong. End of story.

If Phil is lying/spin, these kind of decisions are not put out on "black and white" newsletter or internal memos within companies, but is instead a sensing based on budget plans, revised numbers, and reduced scope of projects/games that lower level employees feel are happening at a senior level.

There are no "proof" for the latter, unless someone at Xbox's senior team leaks budget spreadsheets, which NEVER HAPPENS.

Wedzi

Banned
Figured I'd post this here since people were talking about Zhuge's tweets yesterday.

Phil responded: https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/900132748706402307

ZPJrgpG.gif

AAMARMO

Banned
Not really.

If Phil is right, then Zhuge's source is wrong. End of story.

If Phil is lying/spin, these kind of decisions are not put out on "black and white" newsletter or internal memos within companies, but is instead a sensing based on budget plans, revised numbers, and reduced scope of projects/games that lower level employees feel are happening at a senior level.

There are no "proof" for the latter, unless someone at Xbox's senior team leaks budget spreadsheets, which NEVER HAPPENS.

Yeah I should have read into it more.

But Phil shouldn't have replied.

I agree! Would have been best to ignore, but the fanboys would keep bugging him about it so it's probably just "putting hem at ease" lol

Keinning

If Zhuge is wrong, it would be worse PR to let that (incorrect) news about Xbox having no funding anymore run rampant specially when they have a new console coming out

If Zhuge is right time will tell and Phil will eat crow. His position as head of the xbox division requires him to stay positive regardless, he wouldn't come out and say "yeah xbox is pretty much finished, feel free to sell your X1 and never buy a X1X"

I don't see how him answering is a "PR disaster". I know you hate Phil Spencer, Gaf, but jesus, be reasonable.

If Zhuge is wrong, it would be worse PR to let that (incorrect) news about Xbox having no funding anymore run rampant specially when they have a new console coming out

If Zhuge is right time will tell and Phil will eat crow. His position as head of the xbox division requires him to stay positive regardless, he wouldn't come out and say "yeah xbox is pretty much finished, feel free to sell your X1 and never buy a X1X"

I don't see how him answering is a "PR disaster". I know you hate Phil Spencer, Gaf, but jesus, be reasonable.

I agree, he prolly didn't even know that those tweets existed until a fan showed it to him and asked.

Oh well.

The thing with Horizon: Zero Dawn is it's not like Guerrilla already had a strong GaaS in their previous games that would hurt them if their next game didn't have it. Killzone games had solid sales and a little DLC, but it's not like they're continuing to make good money now. There was a lot less risk for them to do a single player only game than it would be for someone like 343 or Turn 10. It's even more true for Sony Bend and Sucker Punch (assuming they're making a new IP).

Dabanton

Quite frankly at this point and seeing how a lot of people see negative MS news as fact

It probably was best for Phil Spencer to nip that in the bud straight away.

But for his past questionable behavior ZhugeEX has an agenda quite why an analyst wears his hardcore Sony fanboynish on his sleeve is weird but whatever floats his boat.

Zojirushi

No way Xbox division ever had a blank check in the first place, we would've seen a whole lot of stuff that we never have and they would've blown Sony out the water years ago so you kinda gotta call bs on that initial tweet anyway.

Top Bottom