• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Oh I forgot to put mine on the SSD. What's the best way to move it to the SSD? Just delete and re-download the whole thing? I can start it at lunch so it will definitely be done by the time I get home to play.

Effect

Didn't have time to play this morning before leaving for work but did manage to let it finish installing. Got the black screen but figured and hoped it would resolve itself with a reboot. I've had to do that at times for games with Steam after the install. Sounds like that might be what is needed. If a patch comes out between now and when I get home then great.

Ark

Oh I forgot to put mine on the SSD. What's the best way to move it to the SSD? Just delete and re-download the whole thing? I can start it at lunch so it will definitely be done by the time I get home to play.

You should be able to use the Steam Mover app. I'd link it buy I'm on mobile.

Work today is dragggiiiinnngggggg. I need to play this game, but I know I'll spend most of my night playing Overwatch.

MikeDown

Banned
The one thing that is pissing me off right now is that the audio settings do not work for me. I try adjusting the volume/sliders, it has no effect.

Soi-Fong

I'm on a 970 with a 5820k (so take this with a grain of salt) but I'm all ultra 1080p and definitely get over 60 fps constantly.

Is there anyway to get Fraps to work on this thing. I'm on a 980 Ti w/ a 6700k and ultra @ 1080p, I don't seem to be getting 60 fps. Might just be me though.. Is this with VSync off?

Corpekata

Banned
Am I blind? Is there no way to select an army/ Lord while in a city? The only way I can figure it out is with the menu in the upper right hand corner but there has to be something I'm missing, I'm fairly certain that was a basic feature in previous games.

Anno

People seem to be saying that the game is quite hard and the AI seems competent. How is everyone's campaign going?

Am I blind? Is there no way to select an army/ Lord while in a city? The only way I can figure it out is with the menu in the upper right hand corner but there has to be something I'm missing, I'm fairly certain that was a basic feature in previous games.

There should be an army flag over the city to select the garrison army. I also believe there's a switch that will toggle between the army and the city for recruitment. Not sure though, just remembering from the streams I watched.

Also if any GAFfers have a really amazing battle they want to show off, a sweet army, or anything cool, I would love to add a little GAFfer showcase to the OP.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah I figured the army flag thing out like right after posting it. I kind of would like a UI option to just switch to them easier though rather than having to track down their flags. Maybe someone will workshop it.

I saw someone said use Steam Mover. I tried it recently and didn't have luck after the move. I had errors when trying to play the game and had to move them right back. I'd say, just use Steam and create a library on the SSD. Copy/Cut the files over to the new library. Use Steam to reinstall, it will just verify the files and you should be good to go. This is what I have been doing.

So I've noticed something similar to Attila, Unit information or unit info cards etc are connected to the Internet and its damn slow as well, I remember the glory days to get unit information right clicking a portrait and boom the info was there, now it connects to the net and its just slow and cumbersome.

Anyone know why the went down this route? from what I see there is no added benefit just a hindrance if you are playing offline or your net is slow.(Especially as the older titles proved you can have everything in the game)

This online worshiping has to stop at one point damn it :( (I have a 100Mb connection)

frontovik

Banned
The game shines with atmosphere and flavour; which was sorely lacking in previous Total War games. Now I just really want Medieval III, lol.

It's been fun playing as The Empire so far!

The game shines with atmosphere and flavour; which was sorely lacking in previous Total War games. Now I just really want Medieval III, lol.

It's been fun playing as The Empire so far!

Yeah. The thing I loved most about Medieval was playing around Papal politics. So much fun. It was replaced with the family/noble politics in later games since they didn't have a Pope but I never really got the hang of the balance of power stuff.

So I've noticed something similar to Attila, Unit information or unit info cards etc are connected to the Internet and its damn slow as well, I remember the glory days to get unit information right clicking a portrait and boom the info was there, now it connects to the net and its just slow and cumbersome.

Anyone know why the went down this route? from what I see there is no added benefit just a hindrance if you are playing offline or your net is slow.(Especially as the older titles proved you can have everything in the game)

This online worshiping has to stop at one point damn it :( (I have a 100Mb connection)

Yeah I thought they said it would be local but it is online, which is laggier cause launch day and stuff. Luckily I had looked up most of the stuff for VC units before the game launched, and you can kinda check the stats ingame too on the left panel, it's just not very well designed.

Been playing since release, having a lot of fun. Had never played a Total War game, or a strategy game really, they just never felt appealing to me but this is Warhammer and it looked great so I figured I'd take the chance.

Playing Vampire Counts, got to the point where I'm replacing all my skeletons with grave guards and going on the war path.

One thing I'm unsure about, maybe someone with experience with Total war can answer. When you beat another army, if you release captives you get money back, but does that reduce the chance you finish the army? If you kill everyone, do they take increased losses? The only bonus mentionned is gold/leadership, just not sure if there's any other effect on the defeated army or if I should just always take the gold.

MikeDown

Banned
my god these snow textures are ugly
T5P222w.jpg

t6as6Is.jpg

Yeah I thought they said it would be local but it is online, which is laggier cause launch day and stuff. Luckily I had looked up most of the stuff for VC units before the game launched, and you can kinda check the stats ingame too on the left panel, it's just not very well designed.

Been playing since release, having a lot of fun. Had never played a Total War game, or a strategy game really, they just never felt appealing to me but this is Warhammer and it looked great so I figured I'd take the chance.

Playing Vampire Counts, got to the point where I'm replacing all my skeletons with grave guards and going on the war path.

One thing I'm unsure about, maybe someone with experience with Total war can answer. When you beat another army, if you release captives you get money back, but does that reduce the chance you finish the army? If you kill everyone, do they take increased losses? The only bonus mentionned is gold/leadership, just not sure if there's any other effect on the defeated army or if I should just always take the gold.

Captives are taken when you "kill" a routed enemy. After the battle you decide what to do with the captives. Release will give those units back to the enemy. There's a specific threshold for when an army can survive. If it is below that threshold the army can't function so releasing captives could put them over that threshold. If you kill the captives, they won't get those guys back so the army will be weaker, and diplomatically, they hate you more. There used to be Release, Ransom, Enslave, and Execute options but I don't know which ones made it to this game because some wouldn't make sense.

my god these snow textures are ugly

Snow doesn't shine! It sparkles!!

Machina

Banned
Just started and played my first few hours as Empire (I decided to go with the boring choice first up), and this is awesome. A true return to form for Total War, but we really need dat blood and gore dlc

Yeah they do the Blood & Gore thing for the ratings systems in different countries. I think they also have to charge for it because of that but I am sure they aren't balking at the extra money either lol.

Lister

Banned

It's probably a hell of a lot easier and faster and cheaper for them to make changes in an online database and then serve that info as webpage.

Changes they make in one place automagically appear in game through it's browser, and online if you are viewing the online version of the doc through your regular browser. Normally this stuff exists as XML or some other data type int he game and would need to be patched in.

However, this is NOT the way I'd do things though, because, as you point out, the in-game browser is slow as molasses - I don't know what they are using, but it's slow and not very responsive. Unless they can improve the performance there significantly - and who has time for that?- I would have instead served up the info via API. Let the game render it's OWN GUI and only request the data via a call to the API.

Would have been much faster than whatever in game browser they've got running.

So do the warriors of chaos come in waves or something? Cause it's turn 85 and I just got the message for wiping out the warriors of chaos after defeating them in battle. Surely that cant be it can it?

so how's the performance? did i miss the performance thread?

Works fine for me!

Of course, I have high-end hardware.

CPU: 6700K @ 4.2ghz
GPU: GTX 980 8GB

I play at 1080p with G-Sync FPS capped at 75FPS (my monitor's refresh rate). Settings on ULTRA.

Looks and plays beautifully.

I'm actually shocked it plays so well with all the crazyness happening on the screen at the same time.

SSD users let me know how long the pre-load unpacking takes plz.

My pre-load unpacked in about 4 minutes.

Samsung 850 Pro SSD, SATA 3.0

I literally loaded up Steam, saw the unpacking start, walked away to make my son a breakfast, came back and it was done.

I think It was only a 9GB compressed file - now sure how big it expanded to though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I am LOVING this

Battles take some getting used to though. Went with Dwarves instead of my planned VC's.

I'm home for lunch and I'm getting everything set up for tonight.

Also those are some cool pictures Stevey. You have to take a drink for every victory, right?

Lashley

If I accept an allys offer of money to go to war with another faction but I then do nothing. Is there a penalty?

I only had time to watch the cinematic after unpacking and installing drivers. Then I had to go back to work. Why did I do that to myself?

frontovik

Banned
If I accept an allys offer of money to go to war with another faction but I then do nothing. Is there a penalty?

IIRC, in previous Total War games, there's no negative penalty modifier for not honouring Call to Arms requests. It might've changed for Warhammer though.

Try viewing their current opinion of you in the Diplomacy screen and see if there's a modifier for Call to Arms.

Lashley

IIRC, in previous Total War games, there's no negative penalty modifier for not honouring Call to Arms requests. It might've changed for Warhammer though.

Try viewing their current opinion of you in the Diplomacy screen and see if there's a modifier for Call to Arms.

Nope. That's called shrewd diplomacy :p

I then accepted a peace offer from the other side, plus some money :p

frontovik

Banned
I then accepted a peace offer from the other side, plus some money :p

That sounds meme-worthy.

I'd say that Paradox games would weep at this illogical campaign mechanic.

Do you know what you get for not honouring call to arms requests in EU IV? A -2000 opinion modifier; that AI country would never trust you again, lol.

Gaz_RB

Played a few hours before work. Bad idea... I can't stop thinking about my plan for destruction of the dirty green skins.

PS I liked the reminder that I hadn't updated my graphics drivers in like two months haha.

Top Bottom