• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Carlius

Banned
haha steam reviews are great.

This is Stephen.
Stephen's game crashed on startup.
Stephen went to reddit, Total War twitter, and read other reviews.
Stephen found out that he could go into Offline mode and this may fix the problem.
Stephen fixed his problem, and vanquished the enemies of the Empire.
Stephen did not run to the review page and leave a bad review for a problem Stephen knows will be fixed very soon.
Don't be a ♥♥♥♥.
Be like Stephen.

rdytoroll

It's much better than Attila imo. Better performance, more interesting and varied factions, no worrying about seasons and food. Plays like a dream

Uthred

My poor old vampire counts, Manfreed is even more dead than before, I am rather poor at this game. Lots of fun though.

It's much better than Attila imo. Better performance, more interesting and varied factions, no worrying about seasons and food. Plays like a dream

Bah, the seasons and dealing with all that was great in Attila.

So how is this game just as a Total War game? I know next to nothing about fantasy Warhammer and my only real knowledge of anything Warhammer comes from playing Space Marine years ago. I've played and enjoyed just about every Total War game since Rome since I'm a sucker for history.

For somebody that's a Total War fan but doesn't have any particular affinity for the Warhammer universe, is it still solid?

MattyG

Banned
I think Vampire Counts was a poor decision for a first campaign. I may switch it up and start over since I'm only like 10 turns in.

And thanks for the advice on the last page, I'm going to try some of that out!

I have such great units, and was very successful in battle with my mages etc. I'm caving turn 61 on Empire though. I should not have gone empire on Very Hard for my first play through. The seccessionists and surrounding lands never let up, even when mass corruption is beginning to hit my land from Ice Bay. It goes up so damn quick, and I simply cannot afford to field a force to actually engage them as they just sit in my waters in multiple boats. As the AI never seems to have upkeep cost.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Man, AI are way too effective at assassinations. Greenskins assassinated two of my lords in about 5 turns.

Corpekata

Banned
I think Vampire Counts was a poor decision for a first campaign. I may switch it up and start over since I'm only like 10 turns in.

And thanks for the advice on the last page, I'm going to try some of that out!

Yeah honestly VC are kinda boring at the start. Maybe once you're unlocking a bunch of spells and unique units and whatnot but they're just too melee unit oriented and with very little unique ones.

I switched to Greenskins.

Klyka

Banned
Picked this up when I saw I only have till the 31st to get Chaos for free.

looking forward to WAAAAAAAAGH for Gork and Mork!

I started as Chaos with Sigvald. Got manhandled. Then I started again with Archeon and now we're dominating. I have one force keeping the northern tribes perpetually weak. Basically farming them for money while my big arny takes out the huge citadel. Never played much of the horde mechanic with Attila so it's been weird. Don't like having no range but spells are great help. I use my warhounds and marauders to flank around the sides. One...more...turn.

I am getting absolutely wrecked in this game.

You need some serious multitasking skills to keep all your units moving at the same time. So used to the "Easy" rts games.. .this game is so deep I've spent like 10 minutes just reading the unit details/info.

Thank goodness for the difficulty slider!

Stiil, seeing those giants swipe their clubs and sending soldier flying like Sauron in LOTR is pretty sick.

Gaz_RB

I am getting absolutely wrecked in this game.

You need some serious multitasking skills to keep all your units moving at the same time. So used to the "Easy" rts games.. .this game is so deep I've spent like 10 minutes just reading the unit details/info.

Thank goodness for the difficulty slider!

Stiil, seeing those giants swipe their clubs and sending soldier flying like Sauron in LOTR is pretty sick.

Don't forget you can pause during the battles to order troops around.

twelver

Can someone explain obedience at a high level? Like what can you do to keep it??

I'm having trouble as greenskins and revolts. Like the only way I can seem to keep obedience in good standing is by parking one of my Lords/heroes in a city? What else can you do to gain it?? Thanks.

Stiler

The amount of time spent chasing units is getting really really annoying.

I had one battle early on as chaos and the vampire guys kept running away from me, literally spent 10 minutes chasing them around the battlefield until finally they give up , I assume.

Lister

Banned
Bah, the seasons and dealing with all that was great in Attila.

So how is this game just as a Total War game? I know next to nothing about fantasy Warhammer and my only real knowledge of anything Warhammer comes from playing Space Marine years ago. I've played and enjoyed just about every Total War game since Rome since I'm a sucker for history.

For somebody that's a Total War fan but doesn't have any particular affinity for the Warhammer universe, is it still solid?

That's me to a t. Never followed or played fantasy warhammer games. I'm barely familiar with 40k thanks to dawn of war 2. And I'm also a huge total war fan. This feels like a solid total war game. The main difference is in the factions and how unique they are. Combat feels more crunchy. There is more momentum and energy in charges. Combat feels slightly slower than Rome 2 and I like that.

I thought the fantasy stuff might turn me off, but it's the only gamer that's pulled me away from stellaris!

First time against the VC, thought I was going to lose, but my leader decided just to one man army most of them. This game is so much fun. It's definitely shaping to be one of my favorite in the Total War series.

iC3aPPx.jpg

There is an option that says 'Windowed'. When I used it the game was certainly borderless. It's in Options> Graphics.

Doesn't work for me, probably because I'm playing 1080p on a 1440p monitor.

First time against the VC, thought I was going to lose, but my leader decided just to one man army most of them. This game is so much fun. It's definitely shaping to be one of my favorite in the Total War series.

Haha, me and my buddy are playing co-op he missclicked and sent out 4 units afield. A 12 man goblin army attacked, we managed to win. With just his leader at the end, going around and just stomping out all the goblin archers and orc boyz lol.

Doesn't work for me, probably because I'm playing 1080p on a 1440p monitor.

Haha, me and my buddy are playing co-op he missclicked and sent out 4 units afield. A 12 man goblin army attacked, we managed to win. With just his leader at the end, going around and just stomping out all the goblin archers and orc boyz lol.
Ah that would explain it. What about setting your desktop to 1080p?

I like the game. Barely scratched the surface and uncertain who to play as. Dwarves seem the easiest though the Vampires look like a lot of fun with lots of magic. Time to play around and find out.

Ah that would explain it. What about setting your desktop to 1080p?

I like the game. Barely scratched the surface and uncertain who to play as. Dwarves seem the easiest though the Vampires look like a lot of fun with lots of magic. Time to play around and find out.

Would stand to reason, I can't change graphic option during multi-player apparently so I'll have to check after.

DSix

Banned
So, I've been playing my first campaign as Vampire. I'm like turn 30 and at the doors of the Empire faction, but I have really hard time keeping up financially.

I was going bankrupt for a while and my units are still pretty shit cheap stuff, apparently I don't get the economy of Total War. What's the trick here? What am I missing?

Not to mention diplomacy is a complete dead-end for me, as everyone fucking hates vampires and doesn't want to hear anything except the occasional non-aggression pacts.

Machina

Banned
So, I've been playing my first campaign as Vampire. I'm like turn 30 and at the doors of the Empire faction, but I have really hard time keeping up financially.

I was going bankrupt for a while and my units are still pretty shit cheap stuff, apparently I don't get the economy of Total War. What's the trick here? What am I missing?

Not to mention diplomacy is a complete dead-end for me, as everyone fucking hates vampires and doesn't want to hear anything except the occasional non-aggression pacts.

Are you making good use of the Vampire's ability to raise the dead?

Houndi101

Greenskin co-opping with a friend online.

Had to turn off anti-aliasing to get rid of the flickering textures at my end.
Seems good, heroes however are super powerful when counting the power balance, I had to fight a battle against Border prince lord, his hero and two crossbow men blocks with my goblin grand shaman, two boys blocks, two goblin spearmen and two goblin archers and a goblin wolf riders block because the power balance was totally in Border princes favor.

I also assimilated a tribe of other orcs too fast to myself and now I have two rebellions to quell... so just like Shogun 2 for me.
I'm enjoying myself immensely.

Rig is i7 3770k at 4,4ghz, 16gb ram and 980ti, everything on ulta except before mentioned AA, fps is around a 100 give or take

Effect

Really have no clue as to what I'm doing at times. I'm taking actions that I think make sense but without a firm understanding of them if that makes any sense and I feel like I'm really missing something big. Thinking I should drop difficulty down to Easy instead of Normal. Or maybe playing as the Empire is a bad choice. Things seem to be moving a lot faster then I though.

Edit: I also think I need to set time to do a lot of reading of the entries so I fully understand the actions I'm taking.

Oh there is a built in game guide. Didn't see it before.

Artdayne

This game is really challenging for me. I don't find the battles difficult, I've played quite a bit of Total War but the management of finances and public order feels quite difficult even on easy.

frontovik

Banned
Typically through conquest (razing/sacking settlements) or go the slow route and build infrastructure that improves your income/trade with whoever is willing to deal with you.

P.S. Don't try to fight Dwarves as Empire with their starting units; get armour-piercing types as soon as possible.

ISee

Typically through conquest (razing/sacking settlements) or go the slow route and build infrastructure that improves your income.

P.S. Don't try to fight Dwarves as Empire with your starting units; get armour-piercing as soon as possible.

Try? I had no choice they came directly at me and started besieging marienburg! Little, scummy, betraying bas#$%!@. May nurgel curse them.

Halabane

This game is really challenging for me. I don't find the battles difficult, I've played quite a bit of Total War but the management of finances and public order feels quite difficult even on easy.

I agree. Game really needs a manual, not the in game paragraphs from the help system. I keep hoping they will post something on their web site. Do they have some, I couldn't find it? Or they think just a bunch of paying a bunch of youtubers (who know jack about the game..."oh its my first time playing") is all you need?

As far as money goes I tried to have some of the smaller towns that won't level past 3 to be just infrastructure and make money but that didn't work. Public order makes no sense other than it seems to want you to garrison troops in the city all the time.

I also have found if you don't keep up, other words defensive to make sure you lick your wounds before the next battle, the game will kind of pass you by. With the dwarfs I was up in one corner of the map and went back to heal up a bit and by the time I 'slowly' got back to town and healed my 'allies' had pretty much taken over everything near me and what little was left was a long and boring walk. So I need to match my pacing to the games I guess which means I play their way or stop.

Also the UI having to check each of the towns and see where they are in development gets tedious in all the mouse clicks you have to do pretty much every turn unless you remember how many more turns something needs to get built. Why not just a display for this? Maybe its there I just haven't found it.

I was real excited about this game but starting to wane.

manfestival

How much more different is this from any of the previous total war games? Actually the last one that I bought was medieval simply because I didnt care for atilla(because of its new mechanics) and the napoleon one(I didnt car efor the theme of it). However I played a ton of the games before it like rome 2 and medieval. Both of which were fun

Mideon

Glad it's not just me getting daunted by playing this game. Hopefully over time I will understand how to play it!!

ISee

How much more different is this from any of the previous total war games? Actually the last one that I bought was medieval simply because I didnt care for atilla(because of its new mechanics) and the napoleon one(I didnt car efor the theme of it). However I played a ton of the games before it like rome 2 and medieval. Both of which were fun

Just my opinion so far:

Overworld:
The overworld map is more simplified. Overall it's more easy to manage cities/regions, diplomacy is unimportant for certain races, no need to build a heritage line as heroes don't age anymore, seasons and sea battles are gone and the corruption from Attila (size leads to corruption) is also no more etc.
I like those changes, others won't and imo the overworld part is still very hard with a lot of planing and forward thinking involved. It's more accessible. But on the big plus site: The races really feel different with their own and unique game play mechanics, units and play styles.

Battles:
I won't even start because I played the table top game for a couple of years (long time ago...) but they feel great! Again every race plays absolutely different and I'm able recognize the units and they managed to implement their strengths and weaknesses pretty well. So I'm absolutely biased here... I love them.

Setting:
Obviously I love it and it's a perfect match for total war. People were talking about this since shogun. If you like dark, apocalyptic fantasy settings you'll like this.

Cool. That's very nice of you. I'd participate but I already have the game.

Also: Lol at the 970 stuff. It's your giveaway so it's fine but you're making a lot of people angry.
I always thought 980s are the unpopular gpus here on gaf because 970s (oced) are as fast as stock 980s and because it's impossible to oc 980s...
(And just to make it clear, an oced 980 isn't as good as a stock 980ti)

What the hell do I do. I started over as dwarves on just Hard instead of very hard like I normally do and I've managed to capture about 6 territories so far. But there's a Waargh constantly around me and my neighbor with six 20 man armies that all stay very close. I can barely afford to upkeep 30-35 units. How the hell do I fight this? My leader has been constantly fighting and is level 10. Greenskin boss, level 17 with like all purple items.

ISee

What the hell do I do. I started over as dwarves on just Hard instead of very hard like I normally do and I've managed to capture about 6 territories so far. But there's a Waargh constantly around me and my neighbor with six 20 man armies that all stay very close. I can barely afford to upkeep 30-35 units. How the hell do I fight this? My leader has been constantly fighting and is level 10. Greenskin boss, level 17 with like all purple items.

Can it be that conquering as fast as possible isn't the best idea? In my (still limited) experience the faster you capture territories in the early game the more aggressive your opponents seem to get. For example on my hard empire test run I captured reikland in 6-7 turns (or so) and instantly orks entered my territory, the dwarves declared war on me and marienburg began to besiege my cities. I wasn't able to hold.
It feels like they want you to use slower tactics like diplomacy for the empire/dwarves campaign to get new territories and to build up a reasonable tech level before relaying on pure military strength. But maybe I'm just bad... don't know.

Top Bottom