• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

SparkTR

I'm really liking the game, I forgot how much I've missed Warhammer strategy games. Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat were so fun back in the day, and Mark of Chaos wasn't bad. Something about the setting and seeing the units fully animated onscreen is great, and it fits so well with the TW formula.

Google

Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Genuinely loved that game. It might have been my first proper strategy game.

It really was hard though. If one didn't manage the economy properly or lost too many men in a battle you actually couldn't complete the game.

I see there was a small hotfix a few hours ago, so hopefully that fixes the long hang ups I was getting last night. Also it already had over 100k players.

Apollo

Banned
I then accepted a peace offer from the other side, plus some money :p

now there should be a penalty for that, because in the other games if you make a peace treaty with the enemy the other nation that is going to war with them will not like you.

Gaz_RB

Man Dwarves are the bomb. I always love those seemingly unwinnable battles against crazy numbers in Total War and the Dwarves always seem outnumbered. They're a ton of fun.

I have question though: can I ever actually attack Orc camps/settlements on the battle map? Those battles always seem to be on a field in front of the camp rather than inside of it.

Mideon

Going through the campaign with the help on. Is there a separate tutorial or is this the only way to learn things. A lot of stuff to take in!!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
about 2 hours in and loving every second of it and to those worried about how complicated it is i tested a new campaign with difficulty turned all the way down and tutorial settings set to highest and it seems really friendly to new comers to total war it covers everything at a good slow pace and the early battles seemed to be very easy so if youve never played a total war game and see it as daunting but want to get into this game it is very open to new players

Going through the campaign with the help on. Is there a separate tutorial or is this the only way to learn things. A lot of stuff to take in!!

did you set the tutorial help to highest?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Chaos have appeared and I've barely taken any settlements from the Greenskins, never mind united the Dwarves

:(

I love how you know where the reinforcements are going to come from. I just stack my whole army where they enter the battlefield. Enemy general just ran right into my blob at the start and died. lol

Lockless

Man Dwarves are the bomb. I always love those seemingly unwinnable battles against crazy numbers in Total War and the Dwarves always seem outnumbered. They're a ton of fun.

I have question though: can I ever actually attack Orc camps/settlements on the battle map? Those battles always seem to be on a field in front of the camp rather than inside of it.

You only fight in a city if they have walls, i guess it doesn't suit Greenskin attitudes to sit behind a wall and wait to be attacked

ISee

It's fucking awesome. Playing as the Dwarfs is so much fun, gives me that Lotr feel

The fantasy setting is really enjoyable and it's amazing how well they managed to transfer the warhammer soul into this. Every Warhammer fan will love this.

I played the empire campaign today just to get a feel for the game and it's not as easy as I thought it would be (normal difficulty). You really need to plan in advance, know how to counter enemy units, make good use of hero abilities (sabotage missions, assassinations) and take care of your economy. Conquering Marienburg was really hard.
But there are also some downsides like impossible missions (how am I supposed to defeat this general on the field of battle in 6 rounds when I'd need more than 6 rounds to reach him in the first place?) and enemy army behavior can still be as annoying as in older total war games.

Still, after 4 hours of gameplay: 8.5/10

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
already took over almost all of sylvania and starting to cut into the empire think im going to take a break on vampire counts for today and try and play some green skins

Lashley

Anyone got any tips on using Dwarves Heroes effectively? No idea how to use them, they always fail in assassinations

MattyG

Banned
I need tips on the RTS bits of the game. I'm playing a Vampire Count campaign and getting my ass kicked. Even when I have the number advantage, I still lose battles. This isn't my first Total War game and I played the tutorials, but its been a while and I was never very good to begin with. Any advice?

I need tips on the RTS bits of the game. I'm playing a Vampire Count campaign and getting my ass kicked. Even when I have the number advantage, I still lose battles. This isn't my first Total War game and I played the tutorials, but its been a while and I was never very good to begin with. Any advice?

I have nothing to offer but (predicted) sympathy. All my TW battle tactics involve ranged units - playing a faction that doesn't have any is going to be a big challenge for me.

Anno

Are you running with Manny? His death magic is OP as fuck. Exploit it as much as you can.

ISee

Flanking and attacking enemy units from behind is very important to break them and deal extra damage, you actively need to bind a unit in combat and than move another unit into its back or flank (I'm using waypoints, makes it more easy). Keep your vampire/necromancer close to your unit to boost their leadership. Undead don't flee but they start to take extra damage instead.
Also use magic to boost your undead and to even revive (give back health) them on the battlefield.

Damn this game can look great. I find myself sometimes just watching instead of giving orders... *sigh*

warhammer_2016_looksgr5qk5.png

Lashley

About to fight the VCs for the first time since they attacked me

Also, got most of the Dwarven clans to give me their settlements via diplomacy

Lashley

Heroic victory!

Love when your tactics work

They had way more than us, auto resolve would lose it. But I lost 109 dwarves, to their 1.5k vampires

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

early game?

zombies up front to take the blows
flank with skeletal warriors
bat swarm to fuck with enemy ranged units
use your fast hard hitting units beats, ghouls for rear attacks

This game is fantastic.

Going to restart my Vampire Lords campaign later tonight, I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on what I should do. Battle AI is pretty solid so far.

I've never been huge on Total War games, but I'm a massive Warhammer guy so I bit the bullet.

It's...well, it's Total War so far. At least from my limited experience of the main games. The Greenskin campaign is fun but yeah, I have no clue if what I'm doing is right beyond following the tutorial quests. These fuckin' stunties best get out of my house, though. Thorgrim riding up and down on his Grudge Float.

Lead

Banned
I'm playing with chaos they are fun but man i must keep raiding or go broke cant stop the killing and destruction.
Blood for the blood god!

But yeah I'm playing Chaos on hard and it's not looking good. No idea if I can ever beat this pr even Legendary.

SilentRob

I don't seem to be able to play this right now because I just finished playing hours and hours of Stellaris...and these games seem so similiar I can'r really stop thinking about playing Warhammer the way I played Stellaris, but they are in reality so very different that this mindset actively destroys my enjoyment of the game. I had to remind myself that this game is called "Total War: Warhammer". It has "War" in its name. Two times! But I still looked at the battles like some secondary feature that is best avoided or at least not focused on.

Weird thing is I played Total War in the past and had a lot of fun with it but I'm in such a Stellaris-mindset right now, I just can't get into Total War even though I'm sure I'd love it normally. Figure I'll just wait a few days and then try from the beginning with a clear mind.

Gaz_RB

I honestly can't seem to play this right now because I just finished playing hours and hours of Stellaris...and these games seem so similiar I can'r really stop thinking about playing Warhammer the way I played Stellaris, but they are in reality so very different that this mindset actively destroys my enjoyment of the game. I had to remind myself that this game is called "Total War: Warhammer". It has "War" in its name. Two times! But I still looked at the battles like some secondary feature that is best avoided or at least not focused on.

Weird thing is I played Total War in the past and had a lot of fun with it but I'm in such a Stellaris-mindset right now, I just can't get into Total War even though I'm sure I'd love it normally. Figure I'll just wait a few days and then try from the beginning with a clear mind.

Dude I'm sure you shouldn't have any trouble making peace treaties with the forces of Chaos.

Aon

I honestly can't seem to play this right now because I just finished playing hours and hours of Stellaris...and these games seem so similiar I can'r really stop thinking about playing Warhammer the way I played Stellaris, but they are in reality so very different that this mindset actively destroys my enjoyment of the game. I had to remind myself that this game is called "Total War: Warhammer". It has "War" in its name. Two times! But I still looked at the battles like some secondary feature that is best avoided or at least not focused on.

Although I'm not suffering your general mechanical confusion, I do keep hitting E to try and zoom from the campaign map into a province, or from the tactical map back down the the campaign.

Top Bottom