• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT11| Have Mercy

Ramirez

My foray back into PC OW is not going well, I have no clue what the meta is and I’m 0/5 in placements, lol. Really wish I woulda just picked this back up on PS4 today in GameStop, lol.

Pooya

there is no meta this season... it's trash. just watch xqc stream right now, the games are too stupid. There is a sym ot every match. They just won last game with Orisa/Rein shielding a bastion/torb. yeah, top 500 strats...

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine a world with Overwatch user mods...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvVJA_9Dj4

there is no meta this season... it's trash. just watch xqc stream right now, the games are too stupid. There is a sym ot every match. They just won last game with Orisa/Rein shielding a bastion/torb. yeah, top 500 strats...

This just exposes that fact that a lot of the top US/EU players are simply waiting for Korea to make the new meta, instead of trying to create their own new one. So what you get right now is Pre-Season 1 chaos.

antitrop

This just exposes that fact that a lot of the top US/EU players are simply waiting for Korea to make the new meta, instead of trying to create their own new one. So what you get right now is Pre-Season 1 chaos.

The meta revolves around Mercy right now and her guaranteed eventual nerf will shake things up again, so it's whatever.

MCD

The end justifies the means lol

psyfi

Banned
yoooooo I really need people to play with on XB1. I'm hovering around 2500-2750 in comp right now, and I mostly play support or DPS. GT = psyfi!

Blues1990

My foray back into PC OW is not going well, I have no clue what the meta is and I’m 0/5 in placements, lol. Really wish I woulda just picked this back up on PS4 today in GameStop, lol.

I'm seeing a mixed bag of different comps, from Quadruple Tank/DPS, Dive, Triple Tank, Standard, Cheese.

MartyStu

The meta revolves around Mercy right now and her guaranteed eventual nerf will shake things up again, so it's whatever.

Nerfing her will not be enough. Even with the proposed changes on the PTR she still comfortably outclasses Ana as a main healer.

Veelk

Banned
Junkrat/Mercy Meta has me kinda hardstuck in 2700s rn. Shit is rough as my main DPS is Tracer.
I kinda like that tracer now has a viable counter, though she's my second most played hero so I get what you mean.

For me, junkrats are a pure environment game. If it's in a closed space I am almost certainly dead. In an open space, he is.

Draw the rat out.

Josh5890

Just played my first match in over a year. It is nice to get a break from CSGO. Even though it was quick match and I'm a low level (34) I had a good time. I think I might stick it out for a while and try to build my stats up. My mains before were Reaper, Bastion, Mei, D.Va, and Mercy. I want to get used to more. I think I only played half of them last time around.

psyfi

Banned
Just played my first match in over a year. It is nice to get a break from CSGO. Even though it was quick match and I'm a low level (34) I had a good time. I think I might stick it out for a while and try to build my stats up. My mains before were Reaper, Bastion, Mei, D.Va, and Mercy. I want to get used to more. I think I only played half of them last time around.
I recently started playing again after an almost year long break, and let me tell you: there's never been a better time to play Mercy.

Josh5890

I recently started playing again after an almost year long break, and let me tell you: there's never been a better time to play Mercy.

I've read that lol. The thing is I only pick her when no one in my team picks medic, (which was almost all of my matches tonight) so yea Mercy got a lot of play out of me tonight

Is it true that when aiming with a mouse, you should be moving your arm mostly instead of your wrist?

How the fuck do people do that. My arm feels clunky as hell

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nerfing her will not be enough. Even with the proposed changes on the PTR she still comfortably outclasses Ana as a main healer.

As long as Rez is in the game. They really should turn it into some sort of Dazzle spell, where it prevents the players death. But it doesn't heal them or anything. Still effective for getting people out if they get caught, but gives a bit more importance back to picks and saving teammates.

I still feel like the they need to sorely re-evaluate defense abilities. Deflect, Defense Matrix, and Bubble shut down too many abilities, when this game is heavily pushing towards ult usage. Deflect should only be bullets, not missiles for example. Means soldier Rockets, Pharah, Hanzo ult, get some more use. And a Genji just can't sit into protecting for a few free seconds every 10 or so. I'd also like Zarya's bubble to not block things like Zen's balls or Hanzo arrow. Would give a boost to them. But little things like that on evaluating what a short cooldown ability can do. Would break up the pretty static meta we've had going for the past two seasons.

Talonz

LOL, my team just did that in Silver tonight.

Yeah, this season of Competitive is who has the least cancerous team composition or the team who doesn't have the Mercy.

But the meta is so diverse now!

(Translation: My favorite meta/cheese strat is in!)

Danj

LOL, my team just did that in Silver tonight.

Yeah, this season of Competitive is who has the least cancerous team composition or the team who doesn't have the Mercy.

I've actually started thanking people who pick Mercy without being prompted in teamchat. I feel like anything that might encourage it is probably good?

leng jai

I have an SSD so I instalock Soldier every round. 8/10 2 or 3 more will go DPS and then I'll just change to Mercy or Zenyatta (if there's no Mercy).

So I'm close to earning my first gold weapon since I only play competitive causally and have to to the conclusion that most the best skins for gold weapons are rare and epic skins the ones i was looking at are

D.va - Carbon Fiber
Mercy - Amber
Pharah - Anbuis
Reinhardt - Paragon
Soldier 76 - Golden
Tracer - Posh
Zarya - Midnight

The only legendary skin I'm thinking of putting the gold weapon on is my most used skins like Symmetra Devi or Junkrat Hayseed any thoughts ?

So I'm close to earning my first gold weapon since I only play competitive causally and have to to the conclusion that most the best skins for gold weapons are rare and epic skins the ones i was looking at are

D.va - Carbon Fiber
Mercy - Amber
Pharah - Anbuis
Reinhardt - Paragon
Soldier 76 - Golden
Tracer - Posh
Zarya - Midnight

The only legendary skin I'm thinking of putting the gold weapon on is my most used skins like Symmetra Devi or Junkrat Hayseed any thoughts ?

Reinhardt's gold weapons look fantastic in general. I don't use him too often, but he's the only one I have it for (with his Year of the Rooster skin).

The gold gun works across all skins of a character though, just in case you didn't know. So if you get it for Tracer, you can use it on all of her skins. You don't have to just buy it for the Posh one, for example.

fhqwhgads

The meta from my experience on PS4 is mostly dive comps with 4 to 5 DPS with solo healer Mercy and maybe a tank with a 90% chance of it being D.va. Plus the sentry comps are popular purely because somehow at platinum/diamond people don't know how to counter Bastion or Torb.

Really can't wait for the Mercy meta to end. Getting flamed for picking Zen/Ana followed by picking Mercy and getting flamed for not going pocket medic on some stupid Genji/Pharah is not the most fun experience.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm feeling extra lucky this event... got 3 legendary Halloween skins so far, McCree, Mei(didn't really want it, but eh...) and Mercy. And that's without buying a single lootbox(yet) and by getting maybe one level a day and the weekly Arcade boxes.

I still want Symmetra, Torb, Zenyatta and Ana. So unless my luck is really insane, I'll probably have to buy a few boxes. I only have enough credits to buy 2 skins, and still far away from 9k.

Imagine a world with Overwatch user mods...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvVJA_9Dj4

What's crazy is that pro's are still playing two patch levels back. They are actively avoiding the mercy change under the assumption it won't last and there's no reason to learn her new playstyle and most importantly what that means for the rest of the meta.

Similary, I don't think there's consensus on how the new D.Va fits in with her change in role from a Defense Matrix bot to a more aggressive attacker. That has a huge cascade effect on Winston and the backline as she can now longer help protect them. It leaves Winston in severe danger diving into backlines and also makes Zen and Ana far more vulnerable.

Roubjon

I fucked up and redeemed my 5 free loot boxes from Twitch Prime and I got a legendary in one of them. Now I gotta wait forever to get another legendary from an actual Halloween loot box.

Anne

Or it's just that nobody gives a fuck in comp at this point. Anybody that wants any semblance of a real team comp is playing scrims.

Cappa

Banned
Really can't wait for the Mercy meta to end. Getting flamed for picking Zen/Ana followed by picking Mercy and getting flamed for not going pocket medic on some stupid Genji/Pharah is not the most fun experience.

Whats odd that at my level, low diamond, there are plenty of games that people refuse to go Mercy. Ill immediately go to Mercy, if no one else does, because I feel like youre at so much of a disadvantage if you play without her.

I also refuse to run pocket Mercy with Pharah. I had a Pharah who literally would get picked off every fight by a McCree and S76 on Hollywood and blamed it on me for not pocketing him. The two times I attempted to pocket him, we both got picked and I asked him(nicely) to switch because he was getting countered hard. I then received a pleasant message to go fuck myself. lol

Needless to say, he had a 16% winrate with Pharah and of course, he blamed it on "people like me."

MCD

I dunno.

Sometimes I get pissed when I see the usual two healers two tanks two attackers (dps, histscan etc).

Like...who decided this shit? I get pissed because I'm following this formula lots of times and I just question myself when did I becaome this meta focused?

I'm just posting rubbish here but wjat I'm basically saying is I wish there was no meta. I wish we could win with different team comp in every match.

I'm just tired of math so don't mind my ramblings.

Mother fuckers...

I've opened 14 boxes so far and all I've gotten is Roadhog's skin from last year...

Not doing great for what I'm wanting so far. Really want Zarya, Zen, Symettra, and Torb skins. The others don't really do anything for me. I have about 5500 credits, so I'll be able to buy two skins before the event is over, but I'm afraid my odds are not in my favor.

After I got Roadhog's skin, I went and bought Junkenstein as well because I'd rather spend 1000 to remove the item from the loot pool.

Roubjon

Mother fuckers...

I've opened 14 boxes so far and all I've gotten is Roadhog's skin from last year...

Not doing great for what I'm wanting so far. Really want Zarya, Zen, Symettra, and Torb skins. The others don't really do anything for me. I have about 5500 credits, so I'll be able to buy two skins before the event is over, but I'm afraid my odds are not in my favor.

After I got Roadhog's skin, I went and bought Junkenstein as well because I'd rather spend 1000 to remove the item from the loot pool.

The odds for a legendary are like 1 in 12 right? So you're doing pretty good. You'll probably get one soon. That's kinda a smart idea to spend 1000 on an old skin though.

I'm not in love with any of the skins for this event so I'm just gonna save the 3500 coins I have for the Holiday Event. Although I really would like the Reaper, Torbjorn, and Mercy skins.

Cappa

Banned
I dunno.

Sometimes I get pissed when I see the usual two healers two tanks two attackers (dps, histscan etc).

Like...who decided this shit? I get pissed because I'm following this formula lots of times and I just question myself when did I becaome this meta focused?

I'm just posting rubbish here but wjat I'm basically saying is I wish there was no meta. I wish we could win with different team comp in every match.

Outside of Mercy, you can essentially run anything and win. You dont need to go 2 2 2 to win. You need to go Mercy and whatever you want. Triple tank can work. Triple DPS can work. Solo healing Mercy can work. Hell outside of Master/GM running a team without Mercy can work as well.

NeoRaider

I swear this game is trolling me with skins.
Yesterday i got Reaper, and today Torbjorn and McCree. Skins for heroes i almost never pick.

Kill me pls.

AbaFadi

Banned
I dunno.

You don't necessarily need 2/2/2 to win, but it just makes things simpler. The only thing that's really important is having 2 healers. I've seen 3 dps or 3 tanks work plenty of times.

ISOM

I dunno.

I've won plenty of matches with one healer. That healer just needs to be Mercy.

Anne

I personally would rather Blizzard put in a rough guideline of what makes a balanced team (2/2/2). It helps people who wouldn't know otherwise have some structure, and people who know enough can just deviate from it. Only downside is some people will cling to it, but in other games it's not so big an issue. I think maybe the way Blizzard cultivates their fanbase might make this worse, but I already disagree with how they go about things to an extent.

Top Bottom