• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World coming 26/1/2018 for PS4/XB1, CE Edition announced

JP_

Banned
Would you mind explaining the newest trailer then?

Because MH fans don't give a fuck about story.

Who is this for?

image.php

Gbraga

Awesome trailer. The monster animations are incredible, holy shit. A lot of different and huge environments as well.

Not terribly interested in the story, but I'm impressed by the presentation in those cutscenes. Great stuff, great stuff.

Capcom still has some top tier talent, apparently.

Who is this for?

It's for me.

Someone who has been a fan of the series since the first MH on PS2. Imported a Japanese PS2 just to play MH2, imported MHP3rd on PSP, imported MHTri and a Japanese Wii on release, played Monster Hunter Online on Korean servers, even though I didn't know a lick of Japanese or Korean. I follow the series wherever it goes, and MH World looks like it's for anyone who has ever followed the series.

Kyoufu

Awesome trailer. The monster animations are incredible, holy shit. A lot of different and huge environments as well.

Not terribly interested in the story, but I'm impressed by the presentation in those cutscenes. Great stuff, great stuff.

Capcom still has some top tier talent, apparently.

Their MH teams have always been top tier, but held back by hardware limitations. MHW is basically a culmination of the main MH team's desires over the past decade in a single package. Thank you, 5.5GB of RAM.

Who is this for?

Yeah which is why recent 3DS Monster Hunter games add a bunch of voice acting and characters in missions, back in the PSP days there's pretty much zero story, no voice acting either.

Do you live in Asia?

Cause everyone here is talking about it and can't wait for the game, that includes Japan (minus the 3DS fans), and let me tell you there are a lot of old school PSP/PS2 MH fans like me who missed out on the 3DS/Wii/WiiU games.

For us, Monster Hunter is finally BACK to where it belongs, and we are all really happy about it.

Their MH teams have always been top tier, but held back by hardware limitations. MHW is basically a culmination of the main MH team's desires over the past decade in a single package. Thank you, 5.5GB of RAM.

I need them to take advantage of multi-core CPUs, HBM2 and GDDR5x on PC next :)

Who is this for?

My girlfriend loved MH4 *because* it had at least some semblance of a story. She enjoyed going through the village quest and is now a fan.

Does she not count or meet your purity test?

Who is this for?

For what it's worth, I do care, but I'm not exactly dependent on it when it comes to my hype levels of Monster Hunter. I care because it's relatively unexplored territory in MH, and I think there's some pretty good potential and interesting experiences that could come about from stronger contextualization.

MH World is really the type of MH game I've wanted since the series left consoles and went handheld for ages. I get why they did -- the Japanese games market is a much different beast than the Western market. But having played the series since the original in 2004, and only having missed the first Freedom release on PSP as far as the stateside releases go, I started growing exhausted with the established setup around the time MH3U made it to these shores, and I've been dreaming of MH's true return to console with some mixups ever since. I won't claim to be the hardest of hardcore, I've liked the series enough to stick with it, but I also didn't play some of the games that released to any extraordinary length (the original MH3 on Wii, and MH Generations are two games I only dabbled in for around 10 hours each).

I also understand why parts of the hardcore, dedicated community look at it and don't see much. I'm also not of the mindset that World is guaranteed to be great, I think it just looks very, very, very promising, and I think the story inclusion is one of the most fascinating parts of that promising package... And honestly, in context of the larger gaming market, I feel like some breaks from the mold have proven to be absolutely astounding efforts, some becoming some of my favorite games of all time -- Breath of the Wild broke from traditional 3D Zelda formula, Horizon Zero Dawn came from a studio known only for a decade of gritty first person shooters, and I'm sure there are other examples I can't exactly think of right away that have occurred recently. I'm absolutely okay with Monster Hunter taking a shot at something different after basically becoming a tech-limited handheld franchise after its console debut. It could be the series' Skyward Sword, or it could be its Breath of the Wild. I have faith based on what I've seen that it's leaning more towards being an exciting new direction, but I won't know definitively until I play it -- and I can't wait to find out.

BigEmil

I'm just not confident about Capcom westernizing Monster Hunter. They have made too many changes and I'm not sure what to think until I have my hands on the game.
I own and play my PS4 every weekend.

Who is this for?
Lmao you're still so salty about Monster Hunter World being multiplatform and not exclusive to Nintendo consoles no more 😂

Also just because you also own a PS4 doesn't change shit that can be got cheap as chips nowadays we already know your hardcore love for Nintendo don't try to hide it

OmegaDL50

Don't fucking speak for me dude. 4U's low rank story was solid and Shagaru was a hype as shit final boss.

On the subject of MH4 having a story. Isn't Monster Hunter World being developed by the MH4 staff too? Might explain why this game has a story as well. It's simply following the trend of the last mainline title.

On the subject of MH4 having a story. Isn't Monster Hunter World being developed by the MH4 staff too? Might explain why this game has a story as well. It's simply following the trend of the last mainline title.
It's literally just Monster Hunter with a more cinematic, big budget style story. Something to guide the player. I don't know why people are upset by it. Beats texts boxes.

Syril

Yeah, the two directors are 4U director Kaname Fujioka and lead planner Yuya Tokuda.

Soar

I for one loved the quaint and simple storyline in MH4U, also don't give a crap if I'm labelled a "fan" or not because it matters zit when I'm having fun hunting with friends or alone.

wiibomb

I hope that someone in this thread bump it when the collectors pop on amazon. I'm just waiting to hit that preorder button.

I for one loved the quaint and simple storyline in MH4U, also don't give a crap if I'm labelled a "fan" or not because it matters zit when I'm having fun hunting with friends or alone.

I actually thought that MH4 was a good story that was well developed, I haven't seen the series top that ever. Hopefully MHW surpasses what MH4 did

Seik

Banned
That's a day one.

I love the OG MH formula, of course, but I've been playing this formula since the first one on PS2.

I can't wait for this, it'll be a breath of fresh air for the franchise and it looks incredibly good.

Top Bottom