• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One release EU delay explained - there are no manufacturing problems, insists MS

LeBoef

I played forza 5 at gamescom. The controller was plugged into the xbox one, but the cables coming from the back of the console went into a big white box that was connected to the tv through a pipe. To this moment I dont know wether I played forza on final xbox one hardware or a dev kit.

I saw one box hung up there and the turn10 guy booted it up via xbox one power button :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Whether there's a "volume issue" or its a voice localization issue, there's a delay for previously announced round 1 launch countries for a console that doesn't even have a release date yet, so something's not going according to plan. But I'm sure arguing with the internet over whether they have the right root cause for the issue is really a good use of time.

Hey, maybe there *was* a volume issue so the Kinect voice localization team was like, "Dudes, we got at least another few months to get this done. Relax!" and then maybe the volume issue got resolved, catching the Kinect team with their pants down. Ya never know...

MCD

Just like most people on AVS appreciated Amirm feeding them bullshit day after day during the HD format war. Enthusiast groups like to be courted and MS management know this, so they send out their spokespeople to enthusiast forums to engage with them over and above what other companies do (as you mention, long posts rather than the usual one word answers we normally get from insiders or company reps).

It's something they did during the HD DVD vs Blu-ray format war, and now they are using the same tactics for the 8th console war, see this guy on GAF, that "confirmed developer" on /r/gaming and pretty much everyone on Bish's list.

His posts come across as straighforward, sure, but they are just rehashed company lines spoken more forthrightly without the sugar coating that we see in official PR.

The one thing I will give him is that so far he hasn't gone down to the Amirm levels and openly disparaged or denigrated the competitor or competing products, so that's at least something. Otherwise, to me, his words are poison mixed with enough sugar so people drink up.

73eAmIL.jpg

Dr. Kaos

Banned
"But look, I have an Xbox here, clearly that's proof we can produce millions of them!"

Indeed. Given the size of the "5 billion transistors" chip and the history of console manufacturing, I can't bring myself to believe Microsoft's reasons.

We'll see in a few months.

Given we've heard a great deal from all sorts of places about there being way less units available of the X1 in general available, I find this particular excuse fairly difficult to swallow.

GameSeeker

So from zero to zero?

The guy is a corporate tool and nothing more. He is the Amirm (see HD DVD) of this console war, sent by MS to spin on forums and parrot the company line.

Just like most people on AVS appreciated Amirm feeding them bullshit day after day during the HD format war. Enthusiast groups like to be courted and MS management know this, so they send out their spokespeople to enthusiast forums to engage with them over and above what other companies do (as you mention, long posts rather than the usual one word answers we normally get from insiders or company reps).

It's something they did during the HD DVD vs Blu-ray format war, and now they are using the same tactics for the 8th console war, see this guy on GAF, that "confirmed developer" on /r/gaming and pretty much everyone on Bish's list.

His posts come across as straighforward, sure, but they are just rehashed company lines spoken more forthrightly without the sugar coating that we see in official PR.

The one thing I will give him is that so far he hasn't gone down to the Amirm levels and openly disparaged or denigrated the competitor or competing products, so that's at least something. Otherwise, to me, his words are poison mixed with enough sugar so people drink up.

OMG - this brings back memories! I was involved in the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD wars and knew Amir from several meetings at Microsoft. I used to be absolutely amazed at the lies he could tell in public/forums and get away with it because he was a "Microsoft insider".

Thanks for the re-memories zomgbbqftw :)

MMaRsu

Banned
Q. Why the delay?
A. We have to localize kenict voice to different regions

Q. No manufactureing problems?
A. No.

Q. Thanks, we appreciate you taking the time but I'll just choose to believe what I want and spread XBone manufacturing yield problem seed all over the internets.

PS4Life URNOTE #Cernyisgod

Are you saying you believe Microsoft? HAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG - this brings back memories! I was involved in the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD wars and knew Amir from several meetings at Microsoft. I used to be absolutely amazed at the lies he could tell in public/forums and get away with it because he was a "Microsoft insider".

Thanks for the re-memories zomgbbqftw :)

Glad to be of service. ;)

Therein lies my problem, people will believe anything they hear from an "official" source, even if it's bullshit. GAF moderation is about 1000x better than AVS though which was clearly biased towards HD DVD, I have not seen any bias from GAF mods.

Even with supply constraint, MS should be able to supply demand quite easily.

I don't think there will be trouble getting Xbox One this holiday season since demand doesn't seem to be that high.

Skeff

Q. Why the delay?

A. No.

Q. Thanks, we appreciate you taking the time but I'll just choose to believe what I want and spread XBone manufacturing yield problem seed all over the internets.

So, you seem to be becoming aggravated. Why are you so invested in this?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Says the company trying to shit out millions of 362mm^2 chips.
And that's the thing - a company running into delays because they have a big chip with 5 billion transistors to manufacture seems like a much more reasonable cause for unintended delay, than for it to be because they didn't somehow get their ducks in a row on localization for voice transcription/translation. The latter doesn't actually make them seem less inept, if that's what they're aiming for...

And that's the thing - a company running into delays because they have a big chip with 5 billion transistors to manufacture seems like a much more reasonable cause for unintended delay, than for it to be because they didn't somehow get their ducks in a row on localization for voice transcription/translation. The latter doesn't actually make them seem less inept, if that's what they're aiming for...

Yep, that's a fucking HUUUUGE chip.

It has more transistors than a GTX 770.

bj00rn_

Banned
I've had english on my norwegian bought gaming systems for three decades. Why the fuck not just release it and optionally patch it later for those who cannot understand english. Hell, just put a sticker on it and let people make their own decisions.

So his completely inaccurate PS4 release date prediction just days before the official announcement hasn't shaken your confidence one bit?
Not to mention considerabke inaccuracies with indie policy. I don't believe he works for either company (at least anymore). My guess journalism.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So his completely inaccurate PS4 release date prediction just days before the official announcement hasn't shaken your confidence one bit?
Since he's apparently on the MS side of things and has a so-so track record for PS stuff to begin with, why would it?

That's the absolute best part of that article.

1) "The problem is localisation."
2) "In regions like Switzerland where people speak German and French, they can get a German or French console."

Does he even realise that he's contradicting his own lies?

For the briefest of moments while reading it, I thought, "Wow, they're actually going to address the Switzerland question."

And then they promptly don't address it. Wtf MS PR? Why even bring up the country that pokes a hole through your flimsy excuse if you don't intend to actually explain it away? I just don't understand what's going on over there. This stuff seems like PR 101.

ypo

"This is the part of the internet that's frustrating, because everybody wants to assume there's a [units volume] issue. And yet I'm showing real hardware here at Gamescom - a real, final, retail kit

Awesome so Microsoft's definition of no yield issue is making a hundred or so units.

*thumbs up*

Hah didn't realize it's the MS guy who posts here. Wonder why they left out marketing in his title.

I've had english on my norwegian bought gaming systems for three decades. Why the fuck not just release it and optionally patch it later for those who cannot understand english. Hell, just put a sticker on it and let people make their own decisions.

Because manufacturing problems. Lol.

KurowaSan

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm afraid they're getting quite strict on their locale settings policies. Seems if you set your locale to the country you live in, you'll only be able to configure the system language to those available in that country. They had problems with the dashboard and live showing in different languages, depending on your account locale and the system language setting, so this is their way of fixing it.

Is it really that hard to let people use a different language than the one "supported" for your country? I like my games and system in English even though I don't live in an English speaking country.

Joni

I don't think it's so much about the text language, but more about the voice recognition, which makes up a big part of using the Xbox One OS.

So they will actually recognize Flanders exists in Belgium and adapt language-wise.

Lamptramp

Not to mention considerabke inaccuracies with indie policy. I don't believe he works for either company (at least anymore). My guess journalism.

Not sure if I've missed further claims but is this referring to his point that Microsoft's indie policy (despite their claims) is still in its infancy?

I thought the interview with the War Thunder Devs in Edge seemed to confirm this last week?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/gaijin-games-on-why-war-thunder-isnt-coming-to-xbox-one/

AY: Microsoft… they have yet to decide how they’re doing online free-to-play and self-published games. They’re pretty far from that, even with their latest initiative.

Anyway back OT, I've been thinking that even if localisation is the issue it doesn't speak well for Microsofts planning, since they've made Kinect so vital to the one, yet seemingly not understood the difficulties of translating to cover all those languages and dialects.

Ushae

Banned
We need CBOAT.

He's a great source, but when it comes to console release dates. No.

Not sure what to say about Alberts statement, he's been very honest and forthcoming recently and took his time out to post here on GAF, has Sony done the same? I guess we're all armchair generals when it comes to judgments and verdicts on X1. Who knows what the actual truth is?

Busty

Banned
I'm expecting a post from CBOAT any day now saying that to ensure a decent amount of units are shipped at launch every third Xbone box will be filled with nothing but bricks and a handwritten note from Balmer note that reads "Settle down we'll have HALO out next year. LOL.".

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm convinced there's a new flood of them recently.

No you'd be right. We had a wave of new Juniors within the last few weeks that have made some....interesting posts. I'm not starting a witch hunt, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bish drops the hammer again.

KoopaTheCasual

Q. Why the delay?

A. No.

Everyone defending this blatant PR spin never mentions Switzerland. They just straw man it up. We're talking about specific regions where the localization excuse makes no sense, not just making blanket statements. But hey, Console Warz.

operon

So from zero to zero?

The guy is a corporate tool and nothing more. He is the Amirm (see HD DVD) of this console war, sent by MS to spin on forums and parrot the company line.
What do you expect him to say, we know he works for Microsoft and he hasn't his it. All you seem to do lately is post in anti ms threads or post in Nokia threads saying they should have went for android. Do we start calling you a shill yet?

Wynnebeck

Banned
What do you expect him to say, we know he works for Microsoft and he hasn't his it. All you seem to do lately is post in anti ms threads or post in Nokia threads saying they should have went for android. Do we start calling you a shill yet?

Zomg a shill? LOL.

EvB

So they will actually recognize Flanders exists in Belgium and adapt language-wise.

Maybe, there are 6.1 million speakers of it, I guess it depends on Demographics and whether or not it viable to do so. I don't know enough about how the language is handled within the country.

But I'd say there was more chance of that being localised than Welsh :D

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well he did say
The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless. Because this isn’t like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit. As a matter of fact, they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts. Our guys’ll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance. For me, I’d rather not even have the conversation, because it’s not going to matter.
in an interview with OXM.

Also:
I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically - on top of all the magic we're going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud.
What exactly is meant by better technically is up for debate, but usually the system with the better tech will be better technically.

Why do you guys care what the reason is? It's delayed in a bunch of countries either way, and that sucks no matter the cause.

Or the likelihood that most complainers live in a launch country.

To answer your question, it's another opportunity for the immature, petty and bored members of Gaf to take shots at the X1 ...

Top Bottom