• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta out on Steam (4K, dual audio), $19.99, PC launch trailer, dev diary

tumblr_opy4ycLCqu1u0qi9mo2_1280.jpg

This Rosa inspired re-texture is everything.

Take it no mesh edits yet?

Is there a mod community hard at work on this somewhere?

I got to the
triple Jeanne
boss fight on verse 5 of the Angel Slayer chapter, but died just short of beating them! I was so pissed.

Once you get into the flow of this game, it really is amazing. Playing on the highest difficulties is so much about timing your dodges, you can only really play very well in Nonstop Infinite Climax once you recognize all of the enemy's moves sets, and develop a sort of "sixth sense" of when you need to be dodging even though you may not see an enemy attacking.

nullref

An update for this was just released.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/460790/discussions/0/1291816569114253072/

This patch addresses the following issues:

• Fixed an issue with excessive Steam client CPU usage
• Fixed the MSAA option
• Fixed the ”picture-in-picture" graphical issue in the ‘film strip' cutscenes at certain resolutions
• Adjusted Steam Cloud implementation
• Fixed an issue with the jump control in some situations when using keyboard and mouse
• Added the ability to disable black borders in aspect ratios other than 16:9

Please note that this last feature is unsupported.

Arc07

You don't get to practise on PC! Straight into the action or nothing.

As a weird person with a 21:9 monitor, I was happy to see the modding community have already put together a semi decent mod to handle ultrawides.

Which fix are you using for 21:9?

Paragon

EDIT: I should have read the full Steam patch notes. nullref only quoted part of it.

There's a registry file in the game folder which will unlock the aspect ratio, rather than it being an in-game option.
This seems to work well: it's Hor+ rather than Vert- which is ideal.
It does stretch the HUD though, unlike the previous modded executable.

amrod

EDIT: I should have read the full Steam patch notes. nullref only quoted part of it.

There's a registry file in the game folder which will unlock the aspect ratio, rather than it being an in-game option.
This seems to work well: it's Hor+ rather than Vert- which is ideal.
It does stretch the HUD though, unlike the previous modded executable.

Which is the good widescreen fix?

O.DOGG

I absolutely hate that I can't enter Practice mode. I can't even do it once no matter how hard I try. They should really make it so you can enter it by holding the select/back button during loading.

pottuvoi

Banned
The MSAA option is either still broken or is a great example on how badly MSAA can work with HDR. (Tone mapping scales gradient outside of visible range.)

I wonder if SGSSAA options are plausible. (Wouldn't help with tone mapping problem, but certainly should help with aliasing.)

I absolutely hate that I can't enter Practice mode. I can't even do it once no matter how hard I try. They should really make it so you can enter it by holding the select/back button during loading.

Maybe slowing the game down with Cheat Engine speedhack would help, I'm not sure if it affects the loading speed/transition to next scene, but maybe that will give you enough time to react.
I know it's a ridiculous notion lol... but what can you do?

(I only have my OS on an SSD and all games are on a standard HDD, the loading still doesn't go above 1 or 2 seconds but I'm able to enter practise mode if I'm quick.

O.DOGG

Maybe slowing the game down with Cheat Engine speedhack would help, I'm not sure if it affects the loading speed/transition to next scene, but maybe that will give you enough time to react.
I know it's a ridiculous notion lol... but what can you do?

(I only have my OS on an SSD and all games are on a standard HDD, the loading still doesn't go above 1 or 2 seconds but I'm able to enter practise mode if I'm quick.

I have a SSD for games, and Bayonetta is installed on it. I may have to move it to a HDD just for this but that's ridiculous.

Paragon

The MSAA option is either still broken or is a great example on how badly MSAA can work with HDR. (Tone mapping scales gradient outside of visible range.)

I wonder if SGSSAA options are plausible. (Wouldn't help with tone mapping problem, but certainly should help with aliasing.)
To me, it looks like the LOD Bias is set too low, causing lots of aliasing on many of the textures in the game. If only NVIDIA would fix the LOD Bias Clamp option.
MSAA helps clean up some of the edges, but there's still a lot of aliasing remaining.
4xSGSSAA override with 0x000012c1 and the antialiasing fix enabled really seems to help.

Unfortunately those bits only seem to work correctly with 4xSGSSAA (and possibly 8x) as 2xSGSSAA looks very bad.
At 3440x1440, 4xSGSSAA drops the framerate to about 45 FPS on my GTX 1070.

pottuvoi

Banned
To me, it looks like the LOD Bias is set too low, causing lots of aliasing on all the textures in the game. If only NVIDIA would fix the LOD Bias Clamp option.
MSAA helps clean up some of the edges, but there's still a lot of aliasing remaining.
4xSGSSAA override with 0x000012c1 and the antialiasing fix enabled really seems to help.

Unfortunately those bits only seem to work correctly with 4xSGSSAA (and possibly 8x) as 2xSGSSAA looks very bad.
Thanks.

That looks a lot better.
SGSSAA+DSR should give quite nice image.

dr_rus

To me, it looks like the LOD Bias is set too low, causing lots of aliasing on many of the textures in the game. If only NVIDIA would fix the LOD Bias Clamp option.

Your SGSSAA image doesn't look like it's working properly with this bit - it should be this blurry. What happens if you just enhance MSAA with SGSSAA without any bits? You could also try something like 0x000000C0.

Paragon

Your SGSSAA image doesn't look like it's working properly with this bit - it should be this blurry. What happens if you just enhance MSAA with SGSSAA without any bits? You could also try something like 0x000000C0.
Those are the bits that were being recommended for the game.
I think it just looks "blurred" because the textures are so aliased without it, which people often confuse for detail in screenshots.
The image ends up very blurred when you enable SGSSAA without the 0x000012c1 compatibility bits.

Here are a couple of examples to show what I mean about the LOD Bias being set too low:
It gives a false impression of detail, but shimmers terribly in motion.
That's the sort of problem that Bayonetta's textures seem to be suffering from, which SGSSAA fixes.
The NVIDIA drivers used to be able to clamp a negative LOD bias to 0, but it's been broken for a very long time now.

dr_rus

Those are the bits that were being recommended for the game.
I think it just looks "blurred" because the textures are so aliased without it, which people often confuse for detail in screenshots.
The image ends up very blurred when you enable SGSSAA without the 0x000012c1 compatibility bits.

Here are a couple of examples to show what I mean about the LOD Bias being set too low:
It gives a false impression of detail, but shimmers terribly in motion.
That's the sort of problem that Bayonetta's textures seem to be suffering from, which SGSSAA fixes.
The NVIDIA drivers used to be able to clamp a negative LOD bias to 0, but it's been broken for a very long time now.

Texture LOD bias has nothing to do with full screen blurring which is apparent in your shots. LOD clamping is officially unsupported on anything above and including Fermi.

I checked it out and it seems that you have to enable AA Fix for SGSSAA to produce somewhat of a proper image in Bayonetta: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206509

Just enhancing works in the same way as using C0/12C1 without AA Fix - as in leads to an abundant amount of blurring instead of AA.

Edit: another catch is that it seems to be working in 16:9 resolutions only. Here, 12C1 override 8x SGSSAA:
- 16:10 (note the excessive blurring)
- 16:9 (how it actually should look, also framerate took a serious hit)

Could you make the same shot with 4x SGSSAA but with AA Fix on?

Paragon

Texture LOD bias has nothing to do with full screen blurring which is apparent in your shots. LOD clamping is officially unsupported on anything above and including Fermi.
I checked it out and it seems that you have to enable AA Fix for SGSSAA to produce somewhat of a proper image in Bayonetta: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/206509
Just enhancing works in the same way as using C0/12C1 without AA Fix - as in leads to an abundant amount of blurring instead of AA.
Edit: another catch is that it seems to be working in 16:9 resolutions only. Here, 12C1 override 8x SGSSAA:
- 16:10 (note the excessive blurring)
- 16:9 (how it actually should look, also framerate took a serious hit)
Could you make the same shot with 4x SGSSAA but with AA Fix on?
The images that I posted have the AA fix enabled.
I think you're just not seeing it at 1600x900, or not comparing SGSSAA vs MSAA.

There is no difference in sharpness between 16:9 or 24:10 as long as I have the AA fix enabled.
3x Zoom:

Golnei

Now that I've had the time to actually start playing the port, I thought I'd try and recreate that Anarchy Reigns texture I did for Bayonetta's Smash model.

It didn't turn out to be terribly difficult, considering the original game and Smash Bros. actually use the exact same texture in exactly the same size.

I might as well repack her other colours too, since it's so easy.

NeoRaider

When you guys talk about AA fix do you mean the new patch which enables AA or is this some separate program you're referring to.

I think that the patch from yesterday fixed MSAA bug?? I tested it but there is still some aliasing even with 16x MSAA. Before only 2x worked but game looked darker with it enabled now all 4 options work but like i said it's not the best implementation.

Golnei

Nier's absurdly forgiving Witch Time window is tripping me up more than I expected here. It'll probably go away after I get used to the game again, but it's going to be annoying for now.

molnizzle

I get what feels like stuttering in chapter 3 of this game, no matter what settings I choose. Anyone else? It's got all the fire effects

I kinda got this when I would try to use any sort of AA or downsampling. In the end I just went with native 1080p and Nvidia FXAA. Good enough. Force Vsync through Nvidia as well.

Smooth as butter now.

Momentary

Banned
Well, MSAA works just fine with me and works pretty well along with DSR. It's less demanding than SGSSAA and offers a clearer picture. I'm able to maintain a locked 60fps @ 5120x2880

I also tested out 1080p and 1440p with x16 MSAA and it seems to work just fine for me. It practically eliminates aliasing. The game without MSAA already looks to have minimal aliasing to begin with though. I don't know if it's being supplemented by something else or what.

molnizzle

Man, I had forgotten how absolutely horribly some of the Alfheims were placed. Fucking rage inducing to put a challenge in an area where the player has a 99% chance of failure on a first play through. Really poor design.

Top Bottom