• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

Jme

2uhn1ua.png

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Dammit, Sega1991, that was my idea.

Sort of.

But really, the best "taglines" come from the game itself. Good job.
Yeah. I know the writing can be pretentious to some, but I find the prose oddly affecting. Sega1991's was awesome. The opening words work so well.

Gawd this thread is amazing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Some suggestions for game ads:

House of the Dead Overkill
Rhythm Heaven
World of Goo
Street Fighter IV
Fallout 3

Danielsan

Not entirely satisfied, I have the ideas but the execution is lacking.

246pdlz.png

I'll try to keep doing two entries per game. It's a lot of fun and it gets the creative juices flowing a bit.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Not a very hard-hitting ad, but I was really interested in doing the name as an ambigram--I think that alone helps to describe the game, even without any imagery.

braid-2.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mik said:
Not a very hard-hitting ad, but I was really interested in doing the name as an ambigram--I think that alone helps to describe the game, even without any imagery.

braid-2.jpg

Jesus mik. While this isn't even your best work in this thread, it's really not even fair posting in the same vicinity as you. You shame me into realizing how far I have to go. Keep up the great work!

Also, on this piece, the only thing I would do would be to lighten/shine the mirrored part a bit, even if the dulled tone was intentional.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Would anyone be willing to look back at mine (last page) and give a critical assessment? I'd like to improve my design ability and need all the feedback I can get, even if harsh. Thank you!

mik

mik is unbeatable
I really like the type treatment you used for the game name--and the colors are perfecto. The only things that really nag at me are that the line of text at the top looks perfectly centered, but everything else is pushed to the right--not enough to look like it was intentionally right-justified, just enough to look off-center. Also, I didn't see Tim right away. He's getting lost in the hourglass a little bit. I like the idea of him being sort of translucent/transparent, but since you don't get the benefit of his silhouette, like you do with the dinosaur, he sort of disappears into the design. I wouldn't be afraid to make the XBLA logo a little smaller, either. And what about trying to decay the edges of the screenshots like you've done with the text?

I dunno--that's lots of subjective stuff. It may make it better, it may not. Overall, I really like it and it seems like an ad designed to sell the game more than lots of these (certainly mine). The quote you chose is a really powerful one.

TwoCents.gif

Gomu Gomu

mik said:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/Lunchcast/braid-2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh my god :o

mik said:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/Lunchcast/braid-2.jpg

Awesome idea. Incorporating the title into the mirrored reflection is a master stroke. Instantly explains the game, along with the 'mirrored' Princess. The mirror does seem... out of place. I don't know how else to describe it, nor really how to address it.

The only suggestion I could make would be to have the mirror expand out to fill the rest of the page. Leave the starting point where it is, to help define what it is, but pull then 'end' of the mirror out past the page. Continue the darker mirror hue, and hell just to tie it all together flip the XBLA logo in the center to reinforce the mirror image idea.

Just a suggestion - still a fantastic piece of work. Right up there with the 'Time Heals All Wounds' one.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Thanks a lot mik; that's exactly what I was looking for. And you're right on every point, I think. You have a great eye.

Anihawk:
I second (or third?) Street Fighter IV. We've had 3 slightly more obscure games in a row and it would be cool to see what everybody does with another old school franchise.

After that:
World of Goo.

AniHawk

PantherLotus said:
Thanks a lot mik; that's exactly what I was looking for. And you're right on every point, I think. You have a great eye.

Anihawk:
I second (or third?) Street Fighter IV. We've had 3 slightly more obscure games in a row and it would be cool to see what everybody does with another old school franchise.

After that:
World of Goo.

SFIV is something we'll definitely do soon, but next is going to be Team Fortress 2.

SFIV, L4D, and Link's Awakening are all on the short list, just so people can get an idea of what to expect. I'm probably going to start mixing it up more with older titles with some of the newer ones from now on. Crayon Physics, World of Goo, and Audiosurf are indie games I'd love to give a shot.

Flek

Banned
i would vote for a really hyped game. I mean we did 2 xbox live games, 1 wii game and 1 ps2 game.

If you ask me we should try something for one of the biggest games last year. Metal Gear Solid 4 oder GTA 4 oder Resistance 2 or or or ....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to do Street Fighter IV or RE5.

TF2 and L4D would also be great choices.

Sciz

AniHawk said:
SFIV is something we'll definitely do soon, but next is going to be Team Fortress 2.

SFIV, L4D, and Link's Awakening are all on the short list, just so people can get an idea of what to expect. I'm probably going to start mixing it up more with older titles with some of the newer ones from now on. Crayon Physics, World of Goo, and Audiosurf are indie games I'd love to give a shot.
I'd make suggestions, but I'm pretty sure you're already reading my mind anyway.

AniHawk

Flek said:
i would vote for a really hyped game. I mean we did 2 xbox live games, 1 wii game and 1 ps2 game.

If you ask me we should try something for one of the biggest games last year. Metal Gear Solid 4 oder GTA 4 oder Resistance 2 or or or ....

I think most people would be interested in doing Killzone 2 before Resistance 2.

AniHawk

Firestorm said:
We should eventually do a generic fps like Killzone or Gears though. Just to give people a challenge :D

Gears isn't a FPS and we're doing TF2 next, though I don't think it's generic.

Top Bottom