• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

AniHawk

6dxvmh.jpg

AniHawk

TheGOHN said:
Thank you.
Any tips, things I could have done different?

Well this has been going on for a while, and I chose not to say anything (and you're not the only one), but these are supposed to be advertisements. And some people are making posters. Never having taken an advertisement class, I think the difference is that yours might sell to someone who might already have the game. There's no information on there aside from who makes it and what it's called. That's why in the first post I originally asked people to put the platform it can be found on. Others have put websites on there.

EDIT: Actually, looking back, your "Fight or Flight" Mirror's Edge one is probably my favorite of yours. Looks nice, the font isn't distracting (it works with the ad), and it does look like an ad. It still has a few problems, namely the text being crammed in at the bottom, but otherwise it was one of my favorite ME ads.

TheGOHN

I see what you mean.

If you think it will help I can edit mine with the platform logos. For some of my other adds i was looking at it from the view that the dev./publisher wasn't ready to give up all the info. They just wanted to stir up some buzz for the game.( Make GAF piss its pants :lol )

Edit: Thanks for the kudos on the ME add.

DogWelder

AniHawk said:
Well this has been going on for a while, and I chose not to say anything (and you're not the only one), but these are supposed to be advertisements. And some people are making posters. Never having taken an advertisement class, I think the difference is that yours might sell to someone who might already have the game. There's no information on there aside from who makes it and what it's called. That's why in the first post I originally asked people to put the platform it can be found on. Others have put websites on there.
Yeah I agree about the logos (guilty myself), but I don't think there's a problem with the wallpaper motifs. I think imagery can sell on its own, devoid of info...or at the very least get people interested.

Btw, TheGOHN, excellent ad, but Comic Sans is tacky...:lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
AniHawk said:
Never played TF2 before, but I liked the art style a lot. That said, I couldn't really think of anything super cool like everyone else will be able to.

I'll post it in a few minutes. Gonna update the first post first.

EDIT: Okay. First post updated with the Platinum Games dealy, the Braid ads on sendspace, and the due date for TF2. The flickr thing won't be updated anymore, since it reached its limit with MadWorld.

If anyone hasn't played, i would strongly recommend looking at the links Akia linked. It sums up the attitude and art style of the game very well. All of the classes have different voices, accents, weapon names, stuff to do, etc.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
AniHawk said:
EDIT: Okay. First post updated with the Platinum Games dealy, the Braid ads on sendspace, and the due date for TF2. The flickr thing won't be updated anymore, since it reached its limit with MadWorld.

Platinum ain't at Capcom...quick change the OP before they see!

xintin

;.; im going to miss another one, maybe I can jump back in for the next game.
McBacon yours is amazing goddam.

edit - also hitoshi

Oooh, some nice ones already.

I've got a great idea. Hopefully it doesn't get snatched up before I can get it done sometime tomorrow; all the good, obvious ideas usually get burned through pretty quickly!

mik

mik is unbeatable
I think this one is tough because Valve's marketing/advertising has been great. There's not much chance of improving it or doing anything more interesting than they've already created. Anyway, I'd imagine this as a series, with each ad focusing on a different class, and the player pictured would look like/be dressed like that class...

tf2.jpg

HK-47 said:
mik is unbeatable.

Man needs a tag
Yeah. I mean I know this thread is all in good fun, but damn...his work is so nice. Not only that, but it literally looks like actual magazine ads. Great work indeed, and most certainly tag worthy.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
AniHawk said:
McBacon, really like your Team Fortress 2 one, but I'd appreciate people not posting whatever next one until the topic changes over.

Sorry dude, It was my first time in the thread! Won't happen again!

Orobi

I think next game to be "ad-ded" by gaf must be Killzone 2... I just watched the "not official" TV spot for Super Bowl and I believe it's not very good. :( Chek it!
We must give to Sony marketing some great ideas!!! :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Orobi said:
I think next game to be "ad-ded" by gaf must be Killzone 2... I just watched the "not official" TV spot for Super Bowl and I believe it's not very good. :( Chek it!

Propaganda ads would be fun

AniHawk

Orobi said:

Yeah. The music really does a lot to hurt that concept. And the concept is pretty shaky to begin with. It needs to be used with something goofier and silly. Not with something shades of dirt.

GAF making propaganda pieces would be a lot of fun.

If this thread is still going, we'll have to do this game sometime before it comes out.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
tf2ad_blu.jpg
tf2ad_red.jpg

I think it would be fun to run these two ads in the same magazine. One is paid by BLU, the other is paid by RED.

Very cool stuff. Wanting to join in on this one (TF2 is beautifully-designed) but tracking down decent assets is proving a little tricky. Any suggestions?

And on a similar note, does anyone know of an active press login for the NoA press assets site? The ones I've used before (golin/harris; guest/nintendo; crecenteb/rocky (lol)) are all out of use at the mo...

Sciz

Cosmonaut X said:
Very cool stuff. Wanting to join in on this one (TF2 is beautifully-designed) but tracking down decent assets is proving a little tricky. Any suggestions?
If you're willing to trawl through the official thread in the Online forum, you'll find hundreds of screenshots.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Nice one PantherLotus, I like how a lot of these ads have the rustic and battered feeling of the game, plus similar time periods to the game's inspirations.

Top Bottom