• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
so will the 16GB model still have a HDD bay? or is that 'the end' when it comes to storage?!?

The 16GB looks to be exactly the same as the other models just minus the HDD and with flash memory.

Considering its small size and Sony's general nature about letting people change their PS3 hard drives to whatever they want, I doubt they would remove the bay or let us put one in. I'm wondering if there is a small flash/ssd like drive in the bay instead of if the 16GB is fully attached to the hardware itself.

So $149 Xbox 360 coming soon or maybe even a real $99 price without the contract.

Sometimes your predictions are verging on the rigby side of things, lol.

Considering the recent contract they are trying to sell I very much doubt they will go to $99 anytime soon, the rrp is currently $199 on their 4GB models so at best I imagine $149 is as low as they are willing to go.
If a price cut comes at all seeing as they still currently lead in their main market.

Don't know if it has been posted in the last 26 pages but does anyone know how much does it cost Sony to make the existing slim model?

I don't think we actually know besides when they take it apart and do estimates on it, but I think they have said they have been making a profit on the Slim these days, even if it is probably quite small.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
was gonna bu a new ps3 but i guess i should wait till august for possible price drop?

If it is coming soon, it will be at GamesCom like a bunch of their previous price drops, and the console launches a bit after.
So yea, this model will hopefully be out and about in August some time.

Now we can't really compare a coat of paint to a full console design, but this

callofdutymow3xbox.jpg

Is the ugliest console since the Famicom.

uhhh..no. This is:

MZ6sl.jpg

onQ123

Sometimes your predictions are verging on the rigby side of things, lol.

Considering the recent contract they are trying to sell I very much doubt they will go to $99 anytime soon, the rrp is currently $199 on their 4GB models so at best I imagine $149 is as low as they are willing to go.
If a price cut comes at all seeing as they still currently lead in their main market.

if the PS3 is $179 MS will react with a price drop so a $149 Xbox 360 is almost a given. & if their is a redesign Xbox360 we might see a $99 price in the next few years.

if the PS3 is $179 MS will react with a price drop so a $149 Xbox 360 is almost a given. & if their is a redesign Xbox360 we might see a $99 price in the next few years.

But MS probably wouldn't make any money on a $99 360. At this point in the gen I think they want profit margins even on the hardware.

androvsky

I'm sure MS will be content with their $99* Xbox 360 for the time being. And that's exactly how they'll market it on the off chance they feel any sort of pressure from the $179 PS3, which they probably won't.

Mikey Jr.

On the box it should say...

-Plays Blu-Ray movies!
-No fee to play online games!
-Only system where you can play The Last of Us!

Seriously though, $179 is an amazing price. So what does that include? 16gb flash drive? Is there still a slot to put in an HDD?

So, this holiday we'll likely see...

$99 Wii
$149 X360
$179 PS3
$299 WiiU

Also, I really think Sony could have done a far better job in the looks of that model. Maybe they want it to look uglier so PS4 will really shine next year?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, this holiday we'll likely see...

$99 Wii
$149 X360
$179 PS3
$299 WiiU

Also, I really think Sony could have done a far better job in the looks of that model. Maybe they want it to look uglier so PS4 will really shine next year?

Didn't Nintendo bring out their horizontal model last year with a slight price cut? They seem the least likely to lower it any time soon.

will the new ps3 model still have a harddrive slot ?

There is no reason to assume they wont.
Considering they are throwing out a 16GB model, if anything it is more likely to have an upgradable hard drive seeing as they will be the same hardware ignoring HDD space.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No, they had a $99 Walmart only special. Wii currently sells for $149. With a successor launching and price cuts from MSony they'll have to drop price.

I guess we will have to wait and see, Nintendo, ignoring the recent 3DS fuss, has always been the slowest to lower their prices and like to do it on their own terms. At one point I am pretty sure they raised them here, lol.

Mikey Jr.

Why is it so rare for Sony to put out custom PS3's like Microsoft?

Microsoft seems to do it for every other game. Shit, you'd think they would do one for Uncharted 3 or God of War 3, but nothing.

Boss Man

On the box it should say...

-Plays Blu-Ray movies!
-No fee to play online games!
-Only system where you can play The Last of Us!

Seriously though, $179 is an amazing price. So what does that include? 16gb flash drive? Is there still a slot to put in an HDD?
Lol, no one knows what The Last of Us is yet. The other two are worth putting on the box though. I really don't think Sony does a good job of advertising their shit at all.

Eusis

Why is it so rare for Sony to put out custom PS3's like Microsoft?

Microsoft seems to do it for every other game. Shit, you'd think they would do one for Uncharted 3 or God of War 3, but nothing.
SCEA seems to have an insane aversion to this stuff that doesn't exist with the other companies. Or other branches they have for that matter, this sort of wild inconsistency is part of why Sony REALLY frustrates me sometimes.

Mikey Jr.

Lol, no one knows what The Last of Us is yet. The other two are worth putting on the box though. I really don't think Sony does a good job of advertising their shit at all.

Heh, I was kidding about the game part. But you are right about their advertising. Hopefully they don't fuck it up with Last Of Us.

Sony. Last of Us has a LOT of buzz. Don't get cheap on me now.

SCEA seems to have an insane aversion to this stuff that doesn't exist with the other companies. Or other branches they have for that matter, this sort of wild inconsistency is part of why Sony REALLY frustrates me sometimes.

It is always for some weird game and the system comes out in like Japan and in very limited quantities.

Killzone 2/3. No custom PS3.
God of War 3. No custom PS3.
Infamous 2. No custom PS3.
Little Big Planet 2 (perfect game to make a console with). No custom PS3.
Uncharted 3. The follow up to Uncharted 2 which won LOTS AND LOTS of GOTY awards. No custom PS3.

Some fucking random One Piece game that came out in Japan.

1EG0m.jpg

Ohhh well, that is surely deserving of one.

The fuck?

Mikey Jr.

I'm pretty sure that One Piece is the second best selling PS3 game in Japan.

Haha, well, pardon my ignorance on Japanese games. But you can see my point. Japan side of Sony seems to do it to their games, while God of War 3 hasn't gotten one. I love custom consoles and it jsut seems odd that on this side we haven't gotten one for probably the best selling PS3 exclusives.

that was a huge game in japan. and that console looks amazing. and you need a role model.

Apparently I have gravely offended you. I am sorry akechan.

Haha, well, pardon my ignorance on Japanese games. But you can see my point. Japan side of Sony seems to do it to their games, while God of War 3 hasn't gotten one. I love custom consoles and it jsut seems odd that on this side we haven't gotten one for probably the best selling PS3 exclusives.

It's just something that SCEA and SCEE have never been all that interested in doing. Even when SCEA does do it they're pretty plain compared to what's done in Japan (Gunmetal MGS4 and the GoW PSP).

Now, why they aren't interested in doing it is another issue. We really don't know that because no on will actually ask them about it. Instead every journalists has to ask them about The Last Guardian even when Sony has repeatedly said that they'll show it when they feel that it's presentable.

Gran Turismo, God of War, Uncharted, okay. LittleBigPlanet maybe.

Infamous and Killzone would be a waste of time.

EDIT: Had a look again. Killzone goes into the maybe pile with LBP.

One Piece did ~800K in a market about 1/4 the size of the US market.

how can they have a harddrive without a harddrive slot?

External USB

It's just something that SCEA and SCEE have never been all that interested in doing. Even when SCEA does do it they're pretty plain compared to what's done in Japan (Gunmetal MGS4 and the GoW PSP).

They did a Star Wars themed PSP as well. They also did a limited edition of all those super bright colored PS2 units as well last gen but those were not game specific.

Danny-Boy

I've got two PS3's, a phat and the gunmetal gray MGS4 limited edition. I'd have a third if they came out with a GOW LE console. Im hoping for a LE console at the launch of acension.

I suspect we'll see some price cuts once we have some details on the WiiU price. Nothing like massively undercutting your opposition with similar spec hardware at launch. Microsoft and Sony have to know this following the way the 360 stole the PS3s lunch from the get go last time round.

Didn't the Sony filing paperwork claim that the systems were the identical in electronics hardware and so forth besides the memory inclusion specification? Why would two have hard drive bays and one not?

They did a Star Wars themed PSP as well. They also did a limited edition of all those super bright colored PS2 units as well last gen but those were not game specific.

I was just referring to consoles made for specific games. They actually do create them, but they only give them out to contest winners. For example

God of War 3 custom PS3
4436480908_429ac6cb660yjpg.jpg

Twisted Metal custom PS3
twisted-metal-sweet-tjwkep.jpg

Is the 16GB PS3 going to be all that viable with all the mandatory installs?

thats gonna be like 12GB out of the box after format and bloatware

Whats the state of mandatory installs on recent PS3 software? Still common?

I was just referring to consoles made for specific games. They actually do create them, but they only give them out to contest winners. For example

God of War 3 custom PS3
4436480908_429ac6cb660yjpg.jpg

Twisted Metal custom PS3
twisted-metal-sweet-tjwkep.jpg

If only those consoles were limited editions. Why won't Sony make such things.. We see 3rd parties trying in Japan with the Y3, FF13 and One Piece PS3s...

Boss Man

It's like they didn't know when to just stop.
Man, they sure do shit all over those Halo LE consoles. You'd think for such a big game they'd do at least a decent job. The Reach one is very nice looking though. Probably the best looking home console this gen IMO.

Top Bottom