• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Alright, one weird thing - my AMD fan LED is like, the opposite colour to my Mobo LED...When ones's red, the other's green. is it possible I've just plugged the cable in the wrong way around? Does it work like that?

Also, in Aura, I can't seem to set the colour to just white, and it doesn't list the cooler at all, just the Mobo. More bothered about not being able to set it white though.

Izuna

Banned
Can't wait to start ordering, got maybe 3 days left before I can start (unless my bank is nice to me).

I need to quickly because cheaper products are going out of stock.

Here's the list currently: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/izunin/saved/3mBYJx

Faster RAM (because it's £10 more).

I was told to go with the G2 PSU and not compromise by #buildhelp/

I will be using the 4TB that was the external HDD that in my Xbox One, and buy a cheaper 2.5" external to replace it.

I opted to not go for case fans post looking at reviews on YouTube. I would only add a fan from above but I may not have space. The fan I'm getting for the CPU should do the job since I'm not OCing and the GTX1080 would be blowing air right into another fan if I added one on the side, so it's best not to bother.

You could use a HDMI switcher, I do and it switches automatically.

My monitor is a G-sync display using DP input, so HDMI switcher wouldn't work.

Although this does raise another question - will I need to manually switch the sound when the TV is on/off so I get TV speakers instead of desktop speakers...?

In my experience with this setup it will only switch automatically if the cable is unplugged. Doing stuff on the tv has no effect on whether the PC sends the signal there as far as I can tell.

I know it's not elegant, but I just use a wireless keyboard to switch if I'm on the couch already.

Yeah I have a steam controller which I was hoping to get use from, but I guess it's not the end of the world if I need a keyboard for the couch too. I mean theoretically I can use the steam pad to do on screen keyboard for the shortcut, or maybe use win10 action centre to switch?

If you have both your monitor and your TV plugged in to your computer (i.e. DVI monitor, HDMI TV), you can set Windows to produce the same image to both connections. Then you simply turn off the display you're not using.

Doing some work at your desk? Turn the TV off (or change the input to something else). Wanna play a game? Set your TV input to HDMI and turn your monitor off.

Also possible, just not quite as convenient as I'd like (e.g. was hoping to not have to get up and switch things off). I guess I can just get into the habit of turning the monitor physically off whenever I leave the PC.

BizzyBum

Are "gaming routers" a thing?

I have a Linksys WRT54G that I've had for ages, thing is ancient. I was wondering if buying a better router using some cat 7 ethernet cables would improve my speed (also using wireless for things like Switch and iPad)

Any recommendations?

Are "gaming routers" a thing?

I have a Linksys WRT54G that I've had for ages, thing is ancient. I was wondering if buying a better router using some cat 7 ethernet cables would improve my speed (also using wireless for things like Switch and iPad)

Any recommendations?
A lot of people like the Archer C7. I upgraded from the WRT54G to an Asus RT-AC66U last year. Slapped the Merlin DD-WRT custom firmware on it and it has been rock solid.

Cool, I'll check them out. Would I notice a big difference?
I think it all depends on the type of speeds you're getting from your current internet service mostly. Current routers will give you better performance usually and support the higher speeds coming from your modem than the WRT54G.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have any idea when we might be seeing Intel's 8700k processors? Looking at doing a full PC build in June/July, and would like to have the newest CPU available.
Likely a couple months later than that, if even this year (targeted 2017).
It'll be the same crummy 10% boost in power, so don't worry about it unless you need a 8 Intel cores and don't want to spend $1000.

Vinlaen

Are there any truely near-zero latency HDMI capture cards?

I'd like to play some PS4/X-Box on my ultrawide display in a window and keep a browser to the side, etc.

I've seen the Elgato HD60 Pro and it says near-zero latency but it actually looks quite a bit higher?

I've also tried remote play/x-box streaming (using ethernet) and its heavily compressed and also has a bit of lag.

Rip Wallet.

Ok, so for 650€ to spend on Mobo, CPU and GFX, what would you do?

Well, I'm in the U.S. but 650 Euro is $694, so assuming fairly similar prices:

Intel 6600k - $209
ASUS Z270G gaming mobo - $188
MSI 1060 Gaming 6G - $259
G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GB DDR4 - $53

That's $709 (664 Euro), so just 14 Euro over your budget, but you're in the new era plus you can juice the 6600k and 1060 for a bit more performance.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've got another really strange issue - I'm getting nasty artifacts when watching videos, but not with gifs or games. I think it's a driver issue - when I run DDU and use only basic windows display drivers, there's no problem. Soon as I install Nvidia drivers, it comes back.

Temps and everything else look fine, no idea what's going on. I've tried the last three newest Nvidia drivers but no luck. Happens through Displayport and HDMI. Using a 144hz GSYNC monitor and a 1070. I installed a new motherboard and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it.

Quoting myself on this again if anyone can offer insight.

I'm testing a friend's GPU tomorrow but I think it's the card itself. Performance has been degrading since this morning - Furmark scores and game performance are abysmal now. Just swapped to integrated graphics for now (RIP 144hz) No obvious signs of failure on the hardware itself, but I dunno. I threw a pcie wifi card in the slot the GPU went in and it's working fine, so I don't think it's the motherboard.

I guess I'll set up an RMA in the morning (provided my friend's GPU works, otherwise it's the motherboard) and go from there. I really hope that's the issue - I bought this new motherboard on Ebay and I'd really rather not go through the return process.

You can play at 1440p or 1080p on a 4K tv. I just created a custom resolution in nvidia control panel.
The tv will stretch the image for you automatically.

The TV shouldn't have any trouble with lower resolutions. Most stuff you watch on your 4K TV like regular television, BluRays etc doesen't run in native 4K. Might depend on your TV though. Just check reviews for the TVs upscaling capabilities.

I have my PC hooked up to my 65'' Bravia TV and running games in 1080 is no problem at all. One thing to consider is sound though. If you're used to gaming with your consoles hooked up to an 5.1 or 7.1 AVR the onboard sound of your PC that comes across the HDMI cable from your Geforce really can't compete.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I'll check on that upscaling thing for my future TV.

MEATER

My monitor is a G-sync display using DP input, so HDMI switcher wouldn't work.

Although this does raise another question - will I need to manually switch the sound when the TV is on/off so I get TV speakers instead of desktop speakers...?

You can use a DP to HDMI adapter (I only have miniDP on my 980 and have to use adapters for everything -.-)

Yes, sound is a bit more work than the monitor unfortunately. You will have to switch manually in windows (right click on the icon in the tray etc.). It could be worse but considering that you already don't like switching the video it's probably a deal breaker for you.

MEATER

So, wait for a 1080 ti or build 1070 SLI right now?

Seems like the 1070 SLI is slightly faster for the same price?

What are the downsides?

b0bbyJ03

Do we know if coffee lake will use the same socket as current motherboards? I'm planning on upgrading this year and may start buying parts soon.

e90Mark

What are the downsides?
Wait for the 1080ti.

Downsides:
Heat
Noise
Power requirement greater
Not all games support SLI, so your second card can sit idlet
Do we know if coffee lake will use the same socket as current motherboards? I'm planning on upgrading this year and may start buying parts soon.
If we're going by history of the mainstream lineup, would probably use a different socket. Really hard to say though, now that their cycle is different.

b0bbyJ03

If we're going by history of the mainstream lineup, would probably use a different socket. Really hard to say though, now that their cycle is different.

Thanks. They're sticking to 14nm so I figured they would but who knows. I guess I'll just have to wait and be patient.

What are the downsides?

System stability for one - SLI is not guaranteed to work as well as a single card in action. Also power consumption, I believe, will be greater than a 1080 Ti.

Lastly, 1080 Ti prices are currently jacked up because of the usual stock depletion, combined with it being the Founder's Edition. Review units are going out for custom cards, so you may end up able to get cheaper units soon.

Anyone have any idea when we might be seeing Intel's 8700k processors? Looking at doing a full PC build in June/July, and would like to have the newest CPU available.

Kaby Lake was just released in January. What's with all the people asking about a new mainstream processor from Intel so soon?

There is 0 chance imo Intel release a new mainstream processor this year. January 2018 at the earliest.

Price cuts perhaps if Ryzen 5 freaks them out, but they won't release a whole new architecture within a year of releasing KL.

b0bbyJ03

Kaby Lake was just released in January. What's with all the people asking about a new mainstream processor from Intel so soon?

There is 0 chance imo Intel release a new mainstream processor this year. January 2018 at the earliest.

Price cuts perhaps if Ryzen 5 freaks them out, but they won't release a whole new architecture within a year of releasing KL.

Because intel announced that they would be releasing this year:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/intel-coffee-lake-14nm-release-date/

and because they will be the first time that intel will release a 6 core chip with their standard line so we're all kind of excited.

Because intel announced that they would be releasing this year:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/intel-coffee-lake-14nm-release-date/

and because they will be the first time that intel will release a 6 core chip with their standard line so we're all kind of excited.

Ok but kaby (desktop) was not released until 2017.

If you mean mobile chips yes they might be released 2h this year but desktop variants, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And is coffee lake going to be 6 core, or is that cannon lake? Coffee lake was also supposed to be 10nm and look how that turned out.

Ryukori

Your motherboard supported that CPU out of the box? Generally the Z170 boards would need recent BIOS updates to support the kaby lake cpus. Just curious, maybe you got a recently produced one.

Nice build by the way. 2x4GB ram or 1x8? I'd be looking to go to 16GB probably.

Yeah, I was expecting to do a BIOS update on the motherboard, but it ended up working straight out of the box.

They're 2x 4GB sticks, but I've only stuck with 8GB for now because the RAM was on sale. I'm waiting to buy additional RAM sticks when they come on sale.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I want to sell my old RAM on eBay, I don't have any of the original packaging, would it be safe to put it in a regular plastic bag then put it inside a DVD case? That'll be put in a jiffy bag. I was thinking to pad the inside of the box with tissue so it doesn't bounce around inside it.

e90Mark

I want to sell my old RAM on eBay, I don't have any of the original packaging, would it be safe to put it in a regular plastic bag then put it inside a DVD case? That'll be put in a jiffy bag. I was thinking to pad the inside of the box with tissue so it doesn't bounce around inside it.

Can you get access to anti static bags locally?

I wouldn't wrap it in a normal plastic bag, it should be some kind of anti static material. Have you considered selling it locally on craigslist?

Izuna

Banned
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/izunin/saved/3mBYJx

made a few changes (for the better)

Found that there's a dope case with soundproofing. Had to change my CPU Cooler (it's no longer the Hyper 212 because that won't fit, but it's comparable). The soundproofing means that I should do some light OCing because now I shouldn't worry about fan speeds. The case also comes with two great case fans, so no need to get any more.

As for the 4TB, which I am salvaging from my half-broken External (the SATA to USB port would need resoldering), I will replace with a 4TB second-hand for my Xbox One. I thought about getting only a 1TB for the Xbox, but since I'm game sharing with someone who is buying everything, I may as well keep it useful.

I'm still sticking to the keyboard I already have, since I have no way to actually test if I like mechanical keyboards ~~

I will be installing Windows 10 Education that I get from University, because it has everything Enterprise has but with Cortana DISABLED

~~

I could possibly go cheaper than the WD Blue 250GB SSD, or perhaps even go with an M.2 SATA, but by this point I just want the convenience of it coming from Amazon. I should be able to order these parts starting from tomorrow, so I'm pretty damn excited.

~~

The price of the build is still about the same if you remove the fact that I have added the mouse and mouse mat into the sum... the only thing that's more expensive than what I had before is the PSU, which I am constantly told not to compromise on. I think it's worth the extra £40 here.

I started researching these cards. Do you know of any pre built PCs that utilize these I can take a look at?

In the sense of a custom build someone has already put together, or like, a prebuilt from a company?

Edit: Ah, found your thread specifying prebuilt and all. Gonna look around for options, though the Zotac Magnus 1060 I think is an option - needs to have RAM and storage installed though.

Some 1060 miniITX build.

There's probably some prebuilt you can draw inspirations from

Ayy, speaking of which:

cvXWobl.jpg

9WScXrt.jpg

QkL5EVE.jpg

I'm building a Min-ITX PC With the Silverstone ML-08 case today after work!

I'm going to stream the build as well as it's for my tournament scene in town as we're finally getting hardwired internet at our Smash tournaments.

Twitch.tv/KernCountySmashBros if anyone wants to tune in during the build. Will happen around 4:30 / 5:00 PM PST until I'm done building it.

Specs:

MSI H110I LGA1151 Mini ITX Motherboard
MSI GTX 1050 Ti GPU
i5-7500 CPU
Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133 RAM
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Silverstone SX500-LG PSU
Winows 10 Home - 64 Bit

Either. I'm checking out all the options right now. Like the post above this one is interesting me.

Ooooh, okay. In that case, I recommend going to the front page of the thread, and then picking out a build from Haz' sheet that fits your needs. Then you can modify it and pick out particular parts to ensure it's ITX size.

Ooooh, okay. In that case, I recommend going to the front page of the thread, and then picking out a build from Haz' sheet that fits your needs. Then you can modify it and pick out particular parts to ensure it's ITX size.

Thank you. Researching everything and reading a lot the rest of the day lol

Izuna

Banned
I would have done miniITX if I didn't think I would be likely to screw up the setup.

You're gunna need a shoebox style for the graphics card

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anyone have any opinion on the Harmon Kardon soundsticks? I just need a good enough speaker system for new PC. I am factoring in looks more than performance since I'll be using my headphones most of the time. Speakers are more for show and when I'm not using headphones.

Izuna

Banned
Anyone have any opinion on the Harmon Kardon soundsticks? I just need a good enough speaker system for new PC. I am factoring in looks more than performance since I'll be using my headphones most of the time. Speakers are more for show and when I'm not using headphones.

ou can't go wrong with Creative T20 -T40s for 2.0

the ones you posted look like they perform great, they have a really good deal on as well

Top Bottom