• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I'm putting together a new PC build to replace my girlfriend's aging system, and wanted to double check with you all before going ahead with it. This will be a from scratch build, there's not really anything reusable from her current computer.

Here's the build as it stands: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N3yHLD

It's very similar to the "good" build. I went up to 16GB for better multitasking and overhead, and left out the SSD, though I may end up adding one in. My main questions are:

-Does anyone have experience with the ASRock MB I picked, or that company in general? I chose it because the Gigabyte B250M has only 1 fan connector and (IIRC) only 1 PCIEx16 slot. The ASRock has only 2 mem slots but should be able to accomodate an NVMe drive and better fan connections. Am I totally misreading this? This is the main area I'm not sure of.

-Opinions on the Seagate drive, or other 2TB drives? I don't see 2TB WD Blues available, that would probably be my first pick. Also looking for opinions on memory modules, I just chose the most reasonable priced compatible ones.

-Will that PSU cover me? Looks like it should be plenty but I appreciate confirmation.

Also, while researching her build, I was looking to upgrading my current PC, which is getting older but still running pretty well for me (i5-3570k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560). I don't really want to do two builds at the same time, but I was thinking of switching up to the same RX 470 GPU in her build. Would I be making things horribly out of whack/bottlenecked in my PC if I did that? It's likely that I would do a full upgrade next year around the card, but getting a temp performance boost now would be nice.

Afew things.

One, if you are going dual core just get the Pentium, there is no point to get i3's now that pentiums have hyperthreading.

Two, I feel like you can find a better price for a rx470. Check the Newegg daily deals for a better deal.

Three, that PSU is somewhat overkill for that type of budget. I mean it's a great psu, but for the type of parts in that build I don't know I feel like you could save some money by not picking one that nice.

Then using the money you save you can get a 240gb ssd, which is something that is appreciated much more than a gold rated psu or the extra 200mhz the i3 gives you over the Pentium. Just my 2 cents.

PS - a rx470 would work fine in your PC, just look for a better deal or better yet wait afew weeks until the 500 series is released. They'll be released within a month. There should be more rx470s on clearance then.

Hellix

So, I'm rocking the Lian Li PC-O5SX case, and my GPU temps are pretty high. I just got my 1080 ICX upgrade and that seemed to help a bit but still got to crank the fans pretty high.

Considering my case, if I go to a blower style GPU (i.e. step up to 1080 Ti FE), should I expect better, worse, or somewhat similar temps?

Guys I have a question. I was interested in getting a 144hz monitor. My current one is 60hz. So when v sync on i get 60 fps at most. My current setup is i5 6600 3.2 ghz, Gtx 1070 8gb. You think I can benefit from a 144hz monitor? I almost always play on 1080p. Therefore, I won't mind a 1080p 144hz monitor. If you guys think I can benefit from it with my current setup I will get one for sure.

Zabojnik

Hey MSI Armor 1080 buddy ^^ It's a damn good card, good choice! Rest of the build looks good too, though I'll echo the question of why you chose a z170 board instead of a z270 and whether it worked out of the box.
I think you've got me confused with someone else. Look again, I went with a Z270 board, the Asus ROG Strix Z270F. :p

CaLe

What's the best RAM I can get right now for Ryzen ? I'm getting a 1700, not sure yet about the motherboard (maybe the x370-pro ?)

I heard that C14 RAMs are preferred because of Samsung B-Die ?

Filth

ok boys here it is. the omen x35 ultra wide monitor 3440x1440, 100htz gsync. this is my jump from 1080p and because of this i have some questions. First my rig

corsair air 540 pc case.
asus z97-deluxe motherboard
intel 4770k cpu overclocked to 4.2 ghz
asus 1080 strix video card overclocked to 2202 clock
g. skill 16 gigs of ram
evga 850 watt psu
corsair cpu cooler h100i

so im use to 1080p maxing everything out and getting 60fps. So everything is maxed for example overwatch and my max fps is 70ish, witcher 3 max is around 60-63, wildlands is around 55-60. this is with tweaking the graphics a bit. am i capped out? if i want to hit 100fps is my option 1080ti or do you guys think my cpu is bottlenecking.

pics of the new monitor. its beautiful

Cu953dy.jpg

kjSx5Ik.jpg

cCvVNYA.jpg

kuYuri

ok boys here it is. the omen x35 ultra wide monitor 3440x1440, 100htz gsync. this is my jump from 1080p and because of this i have some questions. First my rig

corsair air 540 pc case.
g. skill 16 gigs of ram
evga 850 watt psu
corsair cpu cooler h100i

so im use to 1080p maxing everything out and getting 60fps. So everything is maxed for example overwatch and my max fps is 70ish, witcher 3 max is around 60-63, wildlands is around 55-60. this is with tweaking the graphics a bit. am i capped out? if i want to hit 100fps is my option 1080ti or do you guys think my cpu is bottlenecking.

Cu953dy.jpg

kjSx5Ik.jpg

cCvVNYA.jpg

Congrats! What do you think of the Omen X? Any backlight bleed issues or any other issues? I've been thinking about getting it since the Acer X34P received a significant delay.

Ultrawide 1440P is fairly demanding, so I'm not surprised that you get the fps you are getting. It sounds about right tbh. 1080 Ti would definitely be a great choice.

Filth

Congrats! What do you think of the Omen X? Any backlight bleed issues or any other issues? I've been thinking about getting it since the Acer X34P received a significant delay.

Ultrawide 1440P is fairly demanding, so I'm not surprised that you get the fps you are getting. It sounds about right tbh. 1080 Ti would definitely be a great choice.

The monitor is amazing. From the review on youtube im very nervous on pulling the sticker off on the bottom left corner due to the finish peeling off. I tried to slowely pull it and it is very tight on there so i think ill let it stay on for the time being. The resolution is amazing the color very vibbrant. Compared to my old aoc 1080p monitor the backlight bleed is so minimul on the omen. Very happy with my purchase.

Will an overclocked 4670k and DDR3 Memory become a problem for 1080p/144Hz gaming anytime soon?
I won't be able to use my PC for the next 1,5 years since I'm away from home and thinking if it would be better to sell everything now and build something new once I'm back.

Vipu

Banned
Guys I have a question. I was interested in getting a 144hz monitor. My current one is 60hz. So when v sync on i get 60 fps at most. My current setup is i5 6600 3.2 ghz, Gtx 1070 8gb. You think I can benefit from a 144hz monitor? I almost always play on 1080p. Therefore, I won't mind a 1080p 144hz monitor. If you guys think I can benefit from it with my current setup I will get one for sure.

You will benefit easily, go get it!
There is no going back to 60hz after you experience 144hz.

You will benefit easily, go get it!
There is no going back to 60hz after you experience 144hz.

I went back...

The first 144 monitor I got had terrible color and contrast compared to the screen I was using before it. Been a few years now so I'm hoping I can find a new better monitor soon.
It is an endless quest since I haven't been satisfied with a monitor/tv purchase in an eternity.

I went back...

The first 144 monitor I got had terrible color and contrast compared to the screen I was using before it. Been a few years now so I'm hoping I can find a new better monitor soon.
It is an endless quest since I haven't been satisfied with a monitor/tv purchase in an eternity.

In that case avoid TN like the plague. Go IPS or VA.

Vipu

Banned
I went back...

What monitor you have now?
Im sure those 144hz ips screen are at least on same level with your current unless you have some very good 60hz screen.

blacklotus

Guys, i need your input.

ATM i have:

Asus M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2)
AMD FX-6300
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB
8GB DDR3

This computer was a gift to me, from a dear friend, when my daughter was born. Instead of gifting something to the baby, my friend gave me this PC and told me to use the money i was going to use for the upgrade of the old one, on stuff for my kid - which made me fucking happy.

2 years have gone by and i can't play Battlefield 1 Multiplayer properly, withough severe frame drops.
Also, Mass Effect: Andromeda isn't running really that great, but since it's single player, it doesn't bug me that much.

I was thinking of buying a new CPU - FX-8320E 3.2Ghz OctaCore SktAM3 or FX-8370E 3.3Ghz OctaCore SktAM3 - and stick to that sole upgrade, since i feel like getting a new mid tier graphics card won't make much of a difference to my current one.

What i ask of you is this:

Does my reasoning make sense? If it does, makes sense to get the 8370E instead of the 8320E - theres a price difference there.

Or is it time to drop my motherboard altogher since the CPU options for it are so limited?

Cheers for your help.

I had a TN and went to an IPS. Not the biggest fan of the glow but it's colors are still great. Worse is the back light bleed on top of the glow. Looked into some benq VA monitors last time I was looking but just didn't want to commit at the time.

I really really hate backlight bleed and glow is up there with it. Seems for a while at least every monitor came with a risk of moderate to serious bleed.

Im sure those 144hz ips screen are at least on same level with your current unless you have some very good 60hz screen.

At this point it's more that I've gotten use to what I have and shelling out a grand for a new monitor would make it harder for me to overlook it's flaws again. What are the really good quality wise 144hz screens now? No washed out colors and crushed blacks in service of higher hz. It's weird that that is so important to me since I normally always want higher frame rate over better graphics. Guess it's because I've settled on 60fps and a poor quality screen is a hardware problem that can't really be fixed with changing settings. Also I'd pay a high price for it to have no bleed or panel deformities.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Can I ask an overclocking question here?

I tried to overclock my i5-2500k, on an Asrock Z77 Pro4-M. I read a couple of guides on the internet before i tried, of course.

So I went in the bios and upped the multiplier to 40x to see if it worked. I didn't touch any voltage settings.

In windows I ran prime95, the problem is that the max clock stays 3.4ghz as before. I checked the bios and the multiplier change was applied, it even says "target frequency 4Ghz". But it doesn't show in HWMonitor nor in CPU-z.

What did I do wrong? :p

Vipu

Banned
I had a TN and went to an IPS. Not the biggest fan of the glow but it's colors are still great. Worse is the back light bleed on top of the glow. Looked into some benq VA monitors last time I was looking but just didn't want to commit at the time.

I really really hate backlight bleed and glow is up there with it. Seems for a while at least every monitor came with a risk of moderate to serious bleed.

At this point it's more that I've gotten use to what I have and shelling out a grand for a new monitor would make it harder for me to overlook it's flaws again. What are the really good quality wise 144hz screens now? No washed out colors and crushed blacks in service of higher hz. It's weird that that is so important to me since I normally always want higher frame rate over better graphics. Guess it's because I've settled on 60fps and a poor quality screen is a hardware problem that can't really be fixed with changing settings. Also I'd pay a high price for it to have no bleed or panel deformities.

I guess its the typical asus, acer, dell, etc that have those QC problems.
If I got 1 of those screens I would just buy from place where I can return it easily until I get good working product.

laxu

I have a general overclocking question.

About six months ago I put this together, with more than fair bit of input from this thread's predecessor, and honestly, I couldn't be happier. It was surprisingly fun to put together, it runs like a dream, and I've yet to find something it doesn't just chew through. Recently picked up a Acer Predator XB1, and I'm routinely hitting 120+ fps.

When I first set it up, the BIOS asked if I'd like to overclock it, and it was a joke how easy it was. It automatically ran a few tests, said I could overclock is 22% without any issue, and that's where I've been ever since.

Lately, I've been thinking about pushing it up more. After hours of playing, my CPU temp tops out around 68C, and so it seems like I have plenty of room to play safely -- but is that the point that I'm tinkering just to tinker? I've mostly been playing Overwatch, with a little bit of Rainbow Six Siege, and my frame rates are already higher than I need. Since my system stability is seemingly perfect, and performance is already great, am I just asking for trouble by pushing the envelope some? I like the idea of messing around with it to see how far I can push it, and what performance gains come with that, but I prefer having a stable machine that runs well. Am I better off calling it a day, and spend more time playing games than tinkering with options in the bios, and if/when my machine starts letting me down, then start pushing the overclock further?

You can easily push the 6600K to about 4.4 - 4.7 GHz depending on cooler and chip lottery. Usually those automatic overclocking options end up with too high voltages causing higher temps than necessary. What I do on mine is set the max boost to 4.6 GHz and then use the CPU VCore in offset mode to add 0.080mV to the processor. The value is nothing scientific, just something I picked that works without excessive heat or crashes. The offset mode essentially adds voltage only when needed at higher clocks so on idle it still runs cool and quiet.

However when you are well over 4 GHz clocks you are starting to see diminishing returns. Usually your GPU will bottleneck you far before the CPU will so going from say 4.5 to 4.7 GHz won't have much of an effect.

Prurient

Banned
Have a bit of a vague question about a buzzing in my PC case, which I can't identify, figured this was the best place to ask.

So basically I can hear a small buzzing from inside my case, which sometimes stops, so I'm assuming it's source is a fan. The thing is, if i take the side of my case off, it stops. I can replicate it by either pushing down gently on the inside floor of my case, or putting the case side back on.

Anyone have some idea of where to start with working this out and stopping it? My best guess is that it's the power supply as it's down at the bottom, but I have no idea why the steps above replicate it :/

Edit: nevermind, just worked out it's my HDD!

laxu

There is nothing particularly wrong about 8-bit TN panels. The 8-bit TN panels are usually only found in G-Sync/Freesync displays and they are not cheap. However they are nothing like the 6-bit+dithering crap you see in cheap laptops and desktop monitors. They will have as good colors as any IPS or VA that only supports sRGB gamut. IPS and VA panels typically can have higher gamut which is not good for color accuracy (as most content you view is sRGB) but many like the overblown contrast and an accurate sRGB color space image looks too "muted" to them.

Guys, i need your input.

ATM i have:

Asus M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2)
AMD FX-6300
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB
8GB DDR3

This computer was a gift to me, from a dear friend, when my daughter was born. Instead of gifting something to the baby, my friend gave me this PC and told me to use the money i was going to use for the upgrade of the old one, on stuff for my kid - which made me fucking happy.

2 years have gone by and i can't play Battlefield 1 Multiplayer properly, withough severe frame drops.
Also, Mass Effect: Andromeda isn't running really that great, but since it's single player, it doesn't bug me that much.

I was thinking of buying a new CPU - FX-8320E 3.2Ghz OctaCore SktAM3 or FX-8370E 3.3Ghz OctaCore SktAM3 - and stick to that sole upgrade, since i feel like getting a new mid tier graphics card won't make much of a difference to my current one.

What i ask of you is this:

Does my reasoning make sense? If it does, makes sense to get the 8370E instead of the 8320E - theres a price difference there.

Or is it time to drop my motherboard altogher since the CPU options for it are so limited?

Cheers for your help.

Dude, a mid-tier graphics card today is like a 1060. You have a 6 series. Of course it will make a difference. A HUGE difference.

Simply upgrading to 8 cores isn't going to do much, if anything.

That is an old ass system. I'd get a new mobo, CPU, GPU and unless you're getting old stuff to replace your old stuff you'll need DDR4 memory as well. Plenty of affordable options in all those categories though. Power supply you may be able to keep depending on what it is. Disks you can obviously keep.

It is time, my son. Join us in the new era of PC gaming!

Cimarron

My Rig
i7-4960x @3.6ghz
16gb ram
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X

I am looking to upgrade my monitor. I prefer high frame rates over resolution (at least 60 fps or bust!) So I guess getting a 4k monitor is out of the question so 1440p. Do you guys have a good suggestion for a good monitor with g-sync for my rig.?

I have seen a few curved monitors and I have really been impressed with like the Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide and Asus ROG PG348Q 34-Inch Ultra-wide. Do you think my computer would be match for either of monitors? Any other suggestions?

AmyS

EETimes Intel Unveils 10, 22nm Processes - Transistor-density metric proposed

4-page article.

SAN FRANCISCO – Intel will start making 10nm chips this year it claims will lead the industry in transistor density using a metric it challenged rivals to adopt. Separately, it announced a 22nm low-power FinFET node to compete for foundry business with fully depleted silicon-on-insulator (FD-SOI) from rivals such as Globalfoundries.

At 10nm, Intel will pack 100.8 million transistors per square millimeter. It estimated 10nm foundry processes now in production from TSMC and Samsung have about half that density. Intel's metric averages density of a small and a large logic cell. Specifically, it uses a two-input NAND cell with two active gates and a scan flip-flop cell with as many as 25 active gates.

”I think it's a comprehensive, quantitative and honest metric," said Mark Bohr, a senior fellow and director of process architecture and integration. ”TSMC and, I think, Samsung used to quote it, but my guess is they weren't looking very good with this metric anymore," he said. The existing metric of multiplying gate pitch and cell height gives a relative advance between nodes, rather than an absolute number of a node's capability. In addition, it does not include a variety of factors embraced by the density metric Intel proposed, Bohr added.

Whatever the metrics, Intel said it will start making 10nm Cannonlake chips in the second half of this year, three years after it launched its 14nm process. It expects to continue a three-year cadence, stretching 10nm with two annual upgrades to be called 10+ and 10++. ”Even with the longer time between nodes, we're staying on the same cost per transistor curve and we expect this will continue through the 10nm generation," said Stacy Smith, executive vice president of Intel's fab and sales groups.

Interestingly, Intel's 14++ sports higher performance than its initial 10nm process. However the 10nm node delivers lower power and higher density. Intel gave more details than usual about its 10nm node. The x86 giant needed to be more forthcoming to show its advantages over 10nm processes already in production at foundry rivals TSMC and Samsung.

Specifically, Intel's10nm node sports:

34nm fin pitches
53nm fin heights
36nm minimum metal pitches
272nm cell heights
54nm gate pitches

Intel claimed the node sports the tightest gate and metal pitches in the industry and marks the industry's first use of self-align quad patterning. FinFETs are 25 percent taller and more closely packed than on its 14nm node. The company described two transistor innovations to compensate for the rising costs of more lithography patterning steps. A contact-over-active-gate (COAG) helps deliver an additional 10 percent density; a single rather than double dummy gate at 10nm provides additional scaling advantages.

Analysts were impressed with Intel's 10nm node, but mixed on whether transistor density was the best metric to gauge competing nodes. It's too early to tell who will win the significant near-leading-edge business in the increasingly competitive space between 28 and 16nm, they said.

”It's time to get away from the marketing BS of these node names and let everyone see where the nodes really are...Moore's law was always about density," said G. Dan Hutcheson, president of market watcher VLSI Research.

Independent analysts who conduct chip-level teardowns will be able to check density claims using the formula, he said. But a larger size, such as a cm2, would enable a comparison more close to the size of a real SoC, he said. ”We need something to objectively compare the proliferation of node names that show dimensions that are irrelevant to their names," said Bob Johnson, a research vice president in Gartner's semiconductor group.

A spokeswoman for TSMC said former metrics based on gate density are better than more recent ones based on cell height. ”That said I have no idea how Intel does its new calculation," she said. ”For example, it's [first-generation 14nm CPU] Broadwell used to have 18.4 million transistors per mm squared, yet under the new measure it suddenly has 37.5 million transistors per mm2. Are they trying to play paper games?" The TSMC spokeswoman also noted that density alone does not translate directly to die size. Layout and other design rules are all important factors to die size and competitiveness, she said.

Seeing the numbers on the Intel 10nm process, ”I was blown away," analyst Hutcheson said. David Kanter of the Linley Group agreed. ”It's impressive density...but Intel made the point that it doesn't count until it's in production," he said. Nevertheless, ”Intel will continue to have a manufacturing lead over everyone else, the question is what that will translate into in terms of products," he added.

Will be interesting to see if Cannonlake brings some significant IPC uplift.

Kaby Lake didn't AFAIK, just higher clocks compared to Skylake.

Can I ask an overclocking question here?

I tried to overclock my i5-2500k, on an Asrock Z77 Pro4-M. I read a couple of guides on the internet before i tried, of course.

So I went in the bios and upped the multiplier to 40x to see if it worked. I didn't touch any voltage settings.

In windows I ran prime95, the problem is that the max clock stays 3.4ghz as before. I checked the bios and the multiplier change was applied, it even says "target frequency 4Ghz". But it doesn't show in HWMonitor nor in CPU-z.

What did I do wrong? :p

I think you did not set all the cores to 40x. There should be some kind of sync all cores option so make sure that's selected.

Übermatik;232992133 said:
Alright, about to do my first ever build... any last minute tips for me?

Parts:

Looks good! I would maybe up the PSU a bit, the 480 is pretty power-hungry IIRC. Or wait for Vega ? ^^

You could also conceivably save some money by going with 3000mhz ram over 3200, I'm not sure the performance difference is that huge.

0racle

I am going to start playing media from my PC to my home theatre/receiver /projector. I have never done this before, what is the easiest/best software that can play back essentially any media I throw at it. I am looking at lossless 7.1 audio and blu ray quality rips.

0racle

also, gaming/watching movies on my "second monitor" which will be my receiver/projector, is there a simple way to make the games open on what monitor I choose? be it the main PC monitor or the projector? I am looking for a simple, on the fly toggle as to where the programs/games opens on without having to play with primary/secondary settings of my displays.

I am going to start playing media from my PC to my home theatre/receiver /projector. I have never done this before, what is the easiest/best software that can play back essentially any media I throw at it. I am looking at lossless 7.1 audio and blu ray quality rips.

Plex (if your home network is good).

hitgirl

MPCHC with a few plugins. Can your receiver play DTS?

Try pushing it further in on the right. The clips should snap on.

Clips? The ones you pull down/aside? One of them did, the other maybe didn't? Hard to tell, because...

Did it click when you slotted it into place? It should, but in the top and bottom pics it looks like it's not entirely in.

...Nothing 'clicked'. It just sort of slotted. Pics all taken at same time. I honestly feel like I can't push it any further without breaking it. Help :(

Pagusas

Elden Member
Are you sure you have the middle notch in the memory lined up? Its off center to prevent you from putting them in wrong.

Celcius

°Temp. member

corsair air 540 pc case.
g. skill 16 gigs of ram
evga 850 watt psu
corsair cpu cooler h100i

Nice monitor!
Are you sure you have enough space behind the case for heat to exhaust?

Übermatik;233006039 said:
Clips? The ones you pull down/aside? One of them did, the other maybe didn't? Hard to tell, because...

...Nothing 'clicked'. It just sort of slotted. Pics all taken at same time. I honestly feel like I can't push it any further without breaking it. Help :(

Try to completely remove it from the slot and then press it in slowly and firmly. You should feel a click when it finally fully inserts.

Core Zero

Thanks to ColdDeckEd for comments on my build. I've dropped the CPU to the Pentium G4560 and swapped out the PSU, and added an SSD drive, here's the new build currently:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zG88sJ

(Original post HERE)

I will keep my eye out for deals on the RX 470. I'm not really using the prices on pcpartpicker because I'll be using Amazon Prime basically wherever I can, probably NewEgg for the rest. The G4560 looks hard to find though unfortunately.

Looking for any additional comments about the build. Still wondering if anyone has an experience or comments about the motherboard, especially now with an SSD added in.

Übermatik;233006039 said:

Then I'm pretty sure the RAM isn't fully seated. It can be a bit difficult, but there should definitely be a click, or otherwise a *chunk* noise.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I think you did not set all the cores to 40x. There should be some kind of sync all cores option so make sure that's selected.

I tried setting all the cores to 40x, still nothing. I searched a bit, I might have to update my motherboard's bios to fix come compatibility issue with W10 apparently, but I don't really feel like doing that. Shame. :\

If anybody has another solution I'm all ears.

Thanks to ColdDeckEd for comments on my build. I've dropped the CPU to the Pentium G4560 and swapped out the PSU, and added an SSD drive, here's the new build currently:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zG88sJ

(Original post HERE)

I will keep my eye out for deals on the RX 470. I'm not really using the prices on pcpartpicker because I'll be using Amazon Prime basically wherever I can, probably NewEgg for the rest. The G4560 looks hard to find though unfortunately.

Looking for any additional comments about the build. Still wondering if anyone has an experience or comments about the motherboard, especially now with an SSD added in.

You're welcome. Your GF will be amazed by the boot times coming from an older computer. About the Rx 470,if you can wait afew more weeks until the Rx 500 series is released, April 18th supposedly. You should be able to find some clearance sales on 470s, might even find a 480 in that price range.

I tried setting all the cores to 40x, still nothing. I searched a bit, I might have to update my motherboard's bios to fix come compatibility issue with W10 apparently, but I don't really feel like doing that. Shame. :

If anybody has another solution I'm all ears.

Might have something to do with the power delivery to the cpu. Try following this guide. Updating your bios shouldn't be required for overclocking but it can help with stability.

blacklotus

Dude, a mid-tier graphics card today is like a 1060. You have a 6 series. Of course it will make a difference. A HUGE difference.

Simply upgrading to 8 cores isn't going to do much, if anything.

That is an old ass system. I'd get a new mobo, CPU, GPU and unless you're getting old stuff to replace your old stuff you'll need DDR4 memory as well. Plenty of affordable options in all those categories though. Power supply you may be able to keep depending on what it is. Disks you can obviously keep.

It is time, my son. Join us in the new era of PC gaming!

Rip Wallet.

Ok, so for 650€ to spend on Mobo, CPU and GFX, what would you do?

Top Bottom