• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really That Good: Transformers the Movie

score01

I always figured that was more down to them not trying to hit. They're the good guys after all, and they already know they've won. It wouldn't be very Autobot to slaughter a fleeing enemy by gunning them down in their backs. It could also prompt the Decepticons to turn around and resume fighting in a last ditch effort if they started dropping even further.

I get where your coming from but the same thing happens when Megatron invades the shuttle heading for earth. It might just be that they don't want to show the good guys doing bad/killing but it comes off making them look incompetent.

I'd love to see the stats for the shuttle battle:

Autobots shots fired: 10000
Shots in target: 0%
Confirmed Damage: just their own ship
😂

I get where your coming from but the same thing happens when Megatron invades the shuttle heading for earth. It might just be that they don't want to show the good guys doing bad/killing but it comes off making them look incompetent.

I'd love to see the stats for the shuttle battle:

Autobots shots fired: 10000
Shots in target: 0%
Confirmed Damage: just their own ship
😂

Well you remember the cartoon continuity that the Quintessons built all the transformers. The Decepticons were the military line and the autobots were the domestic line. So yeah, I don't think they would be good warriors. It was only after Alpha Trion rebuilt Orion Pax into Optimus Prime as a new warrior to taken on Megatron that the autobots started succeeding in any significant way.

Up until Starscream dies the movie is amazing, but it kind falls off a cliff after that. I still have a bit of soft spot for it though, was pretty happy when the recently released a special edition blu-ray over here.

Firemind

I've thought about Hot Rod's options here, and he also could have yelled, but yelling could've given Megatron precisely the distraction he was looking for. Shooting would have been the correct choice, but Hot Rod chose tackle. I'm willing to admit that Hot Rod was an idiot there.

But the thing is, Hot Rod is supposed to be a child, a teenager, to be precise. He acted without thinking when he opened fire on the shuttle (good call), and he acted without thinking when he tried to tackle Megatron (bad call).

People crap on Hot Rod for touching the Matrix, as if this was the sole reason why they couldn't have Ultra Magnus as New Leader instead of Rodimus Prime, but Hot Rod respectfully handed the Matrix to Ultra Magnus, who he accepted as his New Leader.

Bobby Roberts has mentioned before that the split-up adventures with the two shuttles seems to have no purpose in the story, but I think it works as a comparison between Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus as leader.

Ultra Magnus ordered Blurr to get the Dinobots on the shuttle, but Blurr couldn't do it, because the Dinobots are too stubborn. So Ultra Magnus ordered Kup and Hot Rod to take over for Blurr, while everyone else gets on a different shuttle. One could infer that Ultra Magnus was willing to let Kup and Hot Rod (the two most useless Autobots) die, if they couldn't get the job done and the Dinobots could be deemed a lost cause. But then Hot Rod made a lasso and corralled Grimlock, and got his shuttle launched first. And Ultra Magnus launched his shuttle before Arcee was aboard. Good thing she jumped/Springer caught her, otherwise Ultra Magnus would've looked pretty bad.

In the air, Hot Rod's shuttle got pounded by Galvatron until it went down. Ultra Magnus: "I can't deal with that right now." That is sooo not the response of a leader. But he did manage to buy some time by crashing on his own planet.

On his planet, Hot Rod fought his way past robo-vines and robo-piranhas, to find Kup defeated by a robo-squid, which Hot Rod defeated using cleverness since the robo-squid was overpowering. Then they got arrested and Hot Rod pretty much busted his way out of jail before Grimlock arrived to seal the deal.

Ultra Magnus meanwhile, got another visit from Galvatron, and Magnus managed to save his crew by burying them, to face Galvatron alone. And then like an idiot, he whipped out the Matrix and tried to use it to nuke Galvatron, because this must be the Autobots Darkest Hour, even though earlier in the film they had just planned to try using the Matrix on Unicron, who was still out there. Magnus backed into a corner = The end of the world. Magnus: "WTF Optimus? You told me this would work." No, Optimus didn't. Magnus told Optimus he wasn't worthy. Optimus said that he knew that Magnus wasn't worthy, and neither was he. But legend says that one day a Chosen One will come along, and he will be worthy, and he will Light their Darkest Hour. Ultra Magnus (despite his earlier reluctance, and his pounding string of failures) ended up thinking the Chosen One was him. And then he got himself blown to bits. Oops.

Then Hot Rod comes along and saves Ultra Magnus' crew from the Junkions by making peace with them, using the technique that didn't work for Kup previously.

Then Hot Rod leads everyone to go after the lost Matrix and try to stop Unicron, and he gets separated from the group and winds up alone with Galvatron, and unafraid, he fights Galvatron better than anyone has since Galvatron showed up and started powning Autobots and Decepticons left and right, because Hot Rod's dodging and using hit-and-run tactics to frustrate his stronger opponent. And remember, Hot Rod is still a child at this point. A teenager. And he's putting up a better fight than Ultra Magnus did. That's why I say Hot Rod is an idiot, but he doesn't suck.
yes YES

I've been saying this for thirty years: Ultra Magnus is incompetent af. Those Ultra Magnus stans just can't be reasoned with.

"This is the end of the road, Galvatron." is more badass than anything Ultra Magnus ever did.

I remember seeing it at the time and it was utter trash.

They killed all the characters we liked and the setting (i.e. the real world) we liked.

They replaced it with a bunch of shitty looking robots that we'd never heard of before and who didn't even transform into real things.. All the new generation toys transformed into generic 'future vehicles' that looked like shit. They fought shitty looking robot aliens on robot planets, while Earth was ignored.

All so they could tell people, "Your toys are dead now, buy our new toys".

Chuckie

I remember seeing it at the time and it was utter trash.

They killed all the characters we liked and the setting (i.e. the real world) we liked.

They replaced it with a bunch of shitty looking robots that we'd never heard of before and who didn't even transform into real things.. All the new generation toys transformed into generic 'future vehicles' that looked like shit. They fought shitty looking robot aliens on robot planets, while Earth was ignored.

All so they could tell people, "Your toys are dead now, buy our new toys".

I kind of agree with you. I mean I did like the movie when I was a kid, but I also thought all the cool transformers got replaced by shitty looking fake ass transformers. I hated Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge. And I also never liked the space setting.

It must be a testament to Wells' sheer poise and talent that he did such a fantastic job as Unicron, despite his well-documented feelings on the role. Just go back to the meeting between Unicron and Megatron - just great stuff.

Welles was great as Unicron BECAUSE he didn't care about the material. It made his Unicron seem aloof, as if the idea of even having to speak to Megatron was annoying to him. He was a God speaking to an ant.

It's an attribute that all future iterations of the character have lacked - the air of complete superiority.

Welles was great as Unicron BECAUSE he didn't care about the material. It made his Unicron seem aloof, as if the idea of even having to speak to Megatron was annoying to him. He was a God speaking to an ant.

It's an attribute that all future iterations of the character have lacked - the air of complete superiority.

That's a great point.

Uzumaki Goku

I remember Unicron just came off as a God speaking to ants which is why the origin given to him in Season 3 is so lackluster. It's no wonder every Transformers story goes with the Primus and Unicron are Gods origin from the comics.

Cheerilee

I remember Unicron just came off as a God speaking to ants which is why the origin given to him in Season 3 is so lackluster. It's no wonder every Transformers story goes with the Primus and Unicron are Gods origin from the comics.

Conflicting stories lead to interpretation and theories and headcanon.

That same S3 episode also claims that Primacron created the Dinobots, and we know that detail to be untrue, because the Dinobots were created by Wheeljack in the episode "SOS Dinobots" (we know because we saw it happen).

If the S3 episode wants to claim that Primacron was the true creator of the Dinobots, and Wheeljack was just the means (manipulated through some unseen hand), then that opens up the door for Unicron being the true creator of himself, with Primacron merely being a tool that was used by a god to enter this particular universe.

I disagree. I happen to think the god reason from the comics is completely stupid and much prefer the origins from the cartoon. They're transforming robots for christ's sake, the don't need some pseudo-spiritual nonsense about "all sparks".

Conflicting stories lead to interpretation and theories and headcanon.

That same S3 episode also claims that Primacron created the Dinobots, and we know that detail to be untrue, because the Dinobots were created by Wheeljack in the episode "SOS Dinobots" (we know because we saw it happen).

If the S3 episode wants to claim that Primacron was the true creator of the Dinobots, and Wheeljack was just the means (manipulated through some unseen hand), then that opens up the door for Unicron being the true creator of himself, with Primacron merely being a tool that was used by a god to enter this particular universe.

And the origin of the constructicons are even worse.

JCHandsom

Not all that familiar with this particular "explains it all" guy but I will say his deconstruction here was interesting to say the least.

He's the kind of guy who puts all his cards on the table. Even if I don't end up agreeing with him (which isn't an infrequent occurance), I still appreciate his thoroughness.

Top Bottom