• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone interested, here are the templates:
Since we should have that avatar thing going a while ago already, here is the banner that people can just put above the avatar:
IFbP7SF.png
A lil love for Xbone!

B0cKQif.png

Kane1345

Ok so here's the deal for me.... I'm working a bunch this weekend to try to get atleast the middle of next week free. I can access the internet from work, mostly on my phone. But only when things are calm (I work with autistic adults... so when they go to sleep it's totally fine for me to go online and just keep an ear out for them, assuming im done with all my paperwork, etc). Anyway, that's tmi... the main point is i'm kinda busy this weekend but not entirely.

So I guess I will open the floodgates now and will probably take all weekend to sift through it and decide who is doing what. So I wouldn't expect a response until Sunday at the earliest. Maybe monday during the day.

What we need is people willing to contact websites and let them know they we are planning on a second push on Wednesday at a time we will figure out today or tomorrow. You will need to go to the website to find the contact email/page.... but from there it's easy. Basically you will send an email like (let's pretend it's kotaku).

Hi Kotaku!

This is (your name) from the #PS4NoDRM campaign and we are ramping up for a second and final push on Wednesday, June 5th starting at __ GMT (and then maybe list the time for them if you know the country of the site's origin).

The movement so far has over 175+ media mentions in 20 different languages which has been incredibly helpful to us. We are grateful for the articles you did specifically and were hoping you could help us shine a light on this one final time.

If you have any further questions check out (OP Link) and (site link) or email me at (your email). And if you decide not to cover it again we still are really appreciative of the support you've given us so far.

Thanks,

Yourname

And then if they have questions for you that you know the answer to, answer them. If you don't refer them to me or baller (and maybe others, still hashing that out). I will give you our email addresses when letting you know which sites you will be responsible for.

If a ton of people decide to volunteer it will be really quick for everyone. Each site will take like 5 minutes tops... so if we can get it down to like 5 or less sites per person we're asking for less than a half hour of your time. We will start with the sites that have already covered it and if we have the manpower we will then move onto sites that haven't.

If you're lurking and would like to help, message me on twitter. If you're on the forum, PM me.

As each new page is created in this thread if i'm not around.... if someone could quote this just to get it on the current page I would be most appreciative.

Koren

I hope this post won't be ignored in the huge mass of posts here, but I don't want to create a new thread for just an idea...

I think the period of sales the developpers want to protect the most from used sales is the very beginning. Say first 3-6 months, maybe. In this period, the price (or the sales) can be driven down by second-hand sales (disclaimer: I personally don't think they're losing money because of second-hand market, for a large number of reasons, but let's assume it's the case)

How would you feel with a system like this:

1) All discs include a date (e.g. the launch of the game) and an ID.

2) Each console keeps track of a "current date". The current date can be updated when you connect to Live/PSN, or when you insert a disc with a disc-date more recent than the one in the system. If you keep the console offline, and don't insert recent discs, the date just stays the same.

3) When you put a game in the console, 2 possible cases:
- the game has a date that is less than 6-month older than the console date > the console require an authentification (possibly online, or any other system), and prevent the game being run without it (you can imagine a fee, like Microsoft's system, to unlock the game on a different account if you want)
- the game has a date that more than 6-month older than the console date > the game run without any DRM

What are the advantages?
- you can resell your games freely, as long as you don't in the first 6 months (or rather, you can, but people buying it can't use it before the 6-months period end, at least without paying a fee)
- you can lend your games to friend after this 6-months period (if you friends were willing to buy the game, they would probably have, anyway)
- as long as the console date is 6-months older than your games, there's no DRM anymore, so the system don't rely on any authentification server of any sort. You just have to find a way to set the console date to a recent one (if Sony/Microsoft wants to play it cool, they either leave a server that only reset the date, which basically remove any DRM, or release a "dummy" disc that does the same)

There's two possible problems I can see:
- there's still an authentification process for the first 6-month, that require an online connexion or any equivalent system
- the security on the console must NOT be compromized. If hackers find a way to access and reset the date, all the system fail, unfortunately.

I'm really against any kind of DRM (I can't even stand Steam), but I may accept such a solution. It doesn't prevent you from lending your games (except during the launch window), it doesn't prevent you to resell them (also outside of the launch window), and since the DRM can expire, collectors won't ever have an issue with DRM, even if the servers are taken down.

Could this kind of solution (I don't expect it to be used, that's just a way to discuss the problem) be found acceptable by people, like my, against DRM systems? I'd like to hear your thoughts about this.

(Think about it like the period of time where the movies, in the theater, are protected from the DVD or VoD markets)

I'd put the XboxOneNoDRM banner on my avatar, but I won't unless Microsoft pays me for helping spread their brand awareness. They already have my Xbone marketing for free.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I hope this post won't be ignored in the huge mass of posts here, but I don't want to create a new thread for just an idea...

I think the period of sales the developpers want to protect the most from used sales is the very beginning. Say first 3-6 months, maybe. In this period, the price (or the sales) can be driven down by second-hand sales (disclaimer: I personally don't think they're losing money because of second-hand market, for a large number of reasons, but let's assume it's the case)

How would you feel with a system like this:

1) All discs include a date (e.g. the launch of the game) and an ID.

2) Each console keeps track of a "current date". The current date can be updated when you connect to Live/PSN, or when you plug a disc with a date greater than the one in the system. If you keep the console offline, and don't insert recent discs, the date just stays the same.

3) When you put a game in the console, 2 possible cases:
- the game has a date that is less than 6-month older than the console date > the console require an authentification (possibly online, or any other system), and prevent the game being run without it (you can imagine a fee, like Microsoft's system, to unlock the game on a different account if you want)
- the game has a date that more than 6-month older than the console date > the game run without any DRM

What are the advantages?
- you can resell your games freely, as long as you don't in the first 6 months (or rather, you can, but people buying it can't use it before the 6-months period end, at least without paying a fee)
- you can lend your games to friend after this 6-months period (if you friends were willing to buy the game, they would probably have, anyway)
- as long as the console date is 6-months older than your games, there's no DRM anymore, so the system don't rely on any authentification server of any sort. You just have to find a way to set the console date to a recent one (if Sony/Microsoft wants to play it cool, they either leave a server that only reset the date, which basically remove any DRM, or release a "dummy" disc that does the same)

There's two possible problems I can see:
- there's still an authentification process for the first 6-month, that require an online connexion or any equivalent system
- the security on the console must NOT be compromized. If hackers find a way to access and reset the date, all the system fail, unfortunately.

I'm really against any kind of DRM (I can't even stand Steam), but I may accept such a solution. It doesn't prevent you from lending your games (except during the launch window), it doesn't prevent you to resell them (also outside of the launch window), and since the DRM can expire, collectors won't ever have an issue with DRM, even if the servers are taken down.

Could this kind of solution (I don't expect it to be used, that's just a way to discuss the problem) be found acceptable by people, like my, against DRM systems? I'd like to hear your thoughts about this.

(Think about it like the period of time where the movies, in the theater, are protected from the DVD or VoD markets)
Grampa Simpson proposed a similar no resale window in this thread. Not a lot of people were receptive to the idea of it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You know, there are a surprising about of Junior Members that are up in arms over the #PS4NoDRM movement. I wonder if bishoptl will come through with that thread?

EDIT: lol @ mortimer posting the exact same thing in the other thread.

JDSN

Banned
So which is the message that we should be spamming on twitter, exactly? Something that emcompases the message and includes all relevant hashtags.

McBryBry

Thank you sir!

You know, there are a surprising about of Junior Members that are up in arms over the #PS4NoDRM movement. I wonder if bishoptl will come through with that thread?

EDIT: lol @ mortimer posting the exact same thing in the other thread.

I've been hanging around for a bit, but this is the first thing that I feel like I should be open in and participate with. Feels good man! Lol

Koren

Grampa Simpson proposed a similar no resale window in this thread. Not a lot of people were receptive to the idea of it.
First, thanks for seing my post.

Second, thanks again for the link. I hadn't seen this thread, unfortunately. An interesting solution, indeed (you just don't want to be too eager to play a game when you're a collector).

The fact is that I would obviously prefer the system like it is now, like probably nearly everyone here. But I'm not sure we'll be able to get anything close to this (I'd like to be proven wrong, either because they're listening to complaints, or because a couple of laws forbid such a system).

But I'd rather have a DRM system that'll automatically expire after a couple of month than a console that become a brick after a couple of years. I'm still enjoying my SNES, I want at least this to go on (and I want to be able to make friends discover some games they may have missed)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thank you sir!

I've been hanging around for a bit, but this is the first thing that I feel like I should be open in and participate with. Feels good man! Lol

I actually meant it in a negative way, hah. It's good to see juniors in here, but there are just a surprising number of juniors who are shitting up threads.

It's just super suspicious when you have someone who joined a month ago, only has a few dozen posts, and every single one of them is defending the XBoxOne... without any other posts whatsoever. Maybe bishoptl is just making me paranoid now.

We tried to get #PS4DRM反対 going, but if some actual Japanese people started using something else then we should go with that. Does anyone know what that says?

Gold Member
Any chance someone could xbox me ava up plz?

It's too restrictive IMO what if you bought it and hate it or finish it quickly, why should you have to wait 6 months to sell it?

I'm also adverse to the whole fee business as well. They sold the game to me, its now mine, they don't own it anymore and don't deserve a cut of my sale.

McBryBry

I actually meant it in a negative way, hah. It's good to see juniors in here, but there are just a surprising number of juniors who are shitting up threads.

It's just super suspicious when you have someone who joined a month ago, only has a few dozen posts, and every single one of them is defending the XBoxOne... without any other posts whatsoever. Maybe bishoptl is just making me paranoid now.

Yeah I can get that. Good to know I'm at least not part of that class haha. All in all though, the more supporters the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom