• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree, especially if they can demonstrate good gamepad utilization and even upgraded graphics. Of course it hasn't even be announced yet so that may be a stretch. It's also about visibility - even if people are picking it up for another platform wouldn't hurt at all to have it out on store shelves.
The people who buy COD annually aren't going to care about a minimap and aren't going to notice the difference if any in technical graphics.

What they care about is where their friends are playing i.e. PC, XBL or PSN.

Essentially a group of peers would have to make a concerted effort to all go get Wii Us in order to play COD BLOPS 2 Wii U together.

I agree with the bolded though. But it will be there anyway, just later than the other platforms if 18th turns out accurate.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm really excited for tomorrow's Direct. Can't wait! Maybe we'll get Majora's Mask 3D!

Not in a Japan exclusive show. Zelda is something they'd show everywhere.

Heh.

But really, no warning is necessary. I read a lot, post a little (OK, post nothing.). If the mods know how to check a user's reading habits, they'll see me near the top of all these Wii U threads ... It's exciting; what can I say? (And I'm someone who played Trek 2.1 on the Alto, so I know exciting.) <g>

Your avatar is wrong! It should be this:

20867-1-1281271307v3ky5.jpg

As launch titles for the system's September 16th launch date!

No no, the system will have launched already. Nintendo Ninjas are secretly placing them in our homes right now, you just have to pay and you get an empty box. Once you open it: POOF! the Wii U appears before you in a cloud of smoke and it's been watching you. It already knows everything.

Has anyone read anything about being able to use the Wii U vertically? It seems like both sides are rounded, but maybe a stand of some kind? Just curious if I missed it somewhere.

I think Miyamoto or somebody explained in some interview around E3 why the Wii U was horizontal. You can't use it vertically because the sides are rounded intentionally.

oh there it is:
http://kotaku.com/5916218/why-the-wii-u-literally-cant-stand-up
(say what you will about Kotaku but their links are always the first to come up when I'm googling for interview quotes)

the linked interview is here

huh, what? I thought Tantalus was confirmed to be working on the port already?! *googles*
Ah! Turns our Straight Right is either a division of Tantalus or they're the same thing or something of that nature. The Tantalus logo is on their website and they're both in the exact same building!
http://www.straightright.net/contact.html
http://www.tantalus.com.au/contact.html

Hiltz

I agree with shinra-bansho's comment. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Activision didn't release Black Ops 2 on Wii U this year given how it's simply a Nintendo platform and most people wouldn't cry over it. However, Call of Duty 3 was on PS3 and Wii at their respective launches, so I expect Activision will have it ready for Wii U, but it's not a priority to announce it right away. Quite frankly, Activision can wait and people will still buy COD on Wii U. I mean, even the Wii versions sold pretty well. Shit, Modern Warfare came out late on Wii yet it still sold well.

Here's my video from the Wii U Experience in Austin, sorry for the terrible vertical aspect ratio it was shot by my wife on my iPhone.

ZombiU Multiplayer

You can really see me struggling with the fire button changing to the melee button when not aiming, but once you get used to it, it's a pretty nice idea.

Pikmin 3 Boss Battle

I do pretty bad on this one but I had never played Pikmin with a Wiimote so cut me some slack. :)

Hiltz

Here's my video from the Wii U Experience in Austin, sorry for the terrible vertical aspect ratio it was shot by my wife on my iPhone.

ZombiU Multiplayer

You can really see me struggling with the fire button changing to the melee button when not aiming, but once you get used to it, it's a pretty nice idea.

Pikmin 3 Boss Battle

I do pretty bad on this one but I had never played Pikmin with a Wiimote so cut me some slack. :)

Whoa, there's like 4-5 zombies coming at you. I saw around the same amount in that Buckingham Palace level and the player died cause a zombie came up from behind. I have idea how anyone is going to be able to live through the game's survival horror mode with just one life. It seems difficult enough just dealing with 3 zombies that can take quite a beating and on top of that, you've got limited resources. Hopefully, the game is well balanced.

Question: Did the weapons in ZombiU feel like they had any weight to them?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So far, I'll be getting a Wii U on launch day with:

NSMB U
Rayman Legends
And a bunch of E-Shop titles....

Possibly:
ZombiU
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

I see Pikmin 3 and P-100 releasing sometime during the launch window, and not on launch day. These games will satisfy my cravings until Nintendo finally announces Yoshi's Island...... :(

Whoa, there's like 4-5 zombies coming at you. I saw around the same amount in that Buckingham Palace level and the player died cause a zombie came up from behind. I have idea how anyone is going to be able to live through the game's survival horror mode with just one life. It seems difficult enough just dealing with 3 zombies that can take quite a beating and on top of that, you've got limited resources. Hopefully, the game is well balanced.

The only reason there were so many coming at a time was due to the guy I was up against. He wasn't trying to capture many points he was just putting zombies all around me. As far as zombies coming up behind you, you've got a map on the Gamepad that shows zombies as red dots so you can usually see if one is coming up behind you if you check it often.

The guns did feel like they had a good bit of weight to them, when I was using the shotgun to churn through that group of zombies it felt great, it's kinda hard to see in the video but when I was shooting them blood was getting all over the gun and the person's hands which was a nice touch.

Nah, my tail strength is proportionate to an out of shape tamarin monkey at 5 feet tall.

So pretty strong. I can also bite things real good. Haven't mastered ripping faces off.

DrNeroCF

When I play MK9, Sould Calibur 4 or Halo, I barely even notice lag. I only notice it if I smack my stick and pay attention. Supposedly the Xbox 360 has a lag of about 133ms vs the Wii U's 116. It shouldn't be THAT bad.

Too many modern games have 'mushy' mechanics since they all have to shoehorn in online multiplayer. Try playing any old platformer with 133 ms of lag, you'll notice.

Better yet, try to play Punch Out! on NES, would be WAY harder.

And the Wii U itself doesn't have lag, TVs at trade shows are all set to default and introduce a ton of input lag. It's embarrassing that any modern electronics perform so terribly, no matter the setting. I had to switch TVs into game mode myself when showing a game off, way too many people are clueless about it.

japtor

And re: High Speed SD cards. Am I right in thinking data transfer would much be faster than USB 2.0 connected HDD?
Depends on how it's connected internally, could be a high speed bus like PCIe or something...or USB 2.0.

Also depends on the SD card itself, according to the benchmarks here, class 10 cards max out at well under USB 2's limit (which is approx 30-35MB/sec), while UHS-I ones can go much faster (never even knew about those until now). Looking at some other benchmarks they appear to suck at 4k random r/w like platter drives, but at least the access times are quick.

TriGen

Pikmin before Christmas - yay or nay?

My guess has always been nay. I think Nintendo is going to save Pikmin for early 2013, because of NSMBU and Nintendo Land being day 1 games. They will want to save one internally developed Nintendo game for early 2013, unless of course Nintendo has something else to announce regarding a internal Nintendo title for Q1 2013, but I doubt it.

The_Lump

Banned
Because no one's picking it up for COD. I'd be surprised if many pick up COD for it, considering the multiplayer nature of the game.

I assume you mean because people will have their friends on one online system already (psn/xbl)?

Could be the case for many people, but I think a lot of people will see it as a chance to delve into an insaturated online experience. And by unsaturated I mean not full of people who are ludicrously good at COD games. And by 'people ludicrously good at COD' I mean little turds who kick your a$$ and laugh whilst doing it :(

The_Lump

Banned
Depends on how it's connected internally, could be a high speed bus like PCIe or something...or USB 2.0.

Also depends on the SD card itself, according to the benchmarks here, class 10 cards max out at well under USB 2's limit (which is approx 30-35MB/sec), while UHS-I ones can go much faster (never even knew about those until now). Looking at some other benchmarks they appear to suck at 4k random r/w like platter drives, but at least the access times are quick.

Hmmm, yeah looking at some benchmarks, seems only the very very expensive SDXC cards will get you above 45MB/s read and 30MB/s write.
Although as long as it can match an average external HDD then I'll be happy I think...
Thanks for the info btw.

From what I played, accelleration felt quite nice and reloading and handling was much slower than in most FPS games, but shooting them felt quite hollow. Melee weapons were much more fun as you have to time your strikes perfectly and when I was whacking away at Nurse Jackie I started to sing : DON'T STOP ME NOW

That's the one that looks awesome, right ? No. I would think that they would've announced it at one of their conferences if this were the case, though there was a rumor at GN about it.
that's a game that might help sell consoles, like CoD and GTA5. plus i just fucking want it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that CoD BLOPS2, NfS Most Wanted and F1 Racing Star could hit the Wii U in the launch window, and that would help in building a good looking start for western support (not outstanding, but good).
What I'm afraid of is the Japan side of things..

Roo

Is there any good reason why it wouldn't be announced for Wii U by now ? They've had two occasions for that already.

Waiting for Nintendo to do so?
We saw that guy from Linkedin working on CoD: Blops 2 for Wii U but you don't see
Activision/Treyarch officially annoucing it.

Besides, I highly doubt ME3 is the only game we'll get from EA

Well, all i can say is explained in my posts: some already announced and presented games on Wii U, saw their framerate greatly improved during their development, since my Spring posts. It shows that developers got a better grasp on the system, on the tools to make their titles on it, etc. And yep, this cool news comes with improvement in the visual department also (more effects, and implementation of anti-aliasing, etc.).

Anti Aliassing. Dear god, there is a god.

Holy shit i am hyped right now. Fuck jaggies.

Roo

Except EA already had two conferences, whereas Activision had nothing comparable. They were allowed to show/announce Fifa/Madden, but not NfS ? Why ? It's possible, but ... I don't quite see the logic.

That said they already have three titles (Madden/Fifa/ME3) during launch period, that's probably enough for them. I'm pretty sure they're running out of interns to program the Wii U ports. Never forget it's EA. They didn't bother to announce anything substantial for Wii U and their recent comments were not too favourable either, also launch period is already rather packed.

Well there's still a chance tho :p

Do you guys think we'll get that "Project Adventurer" game from The Farm 51?? They said back in E3 that they have been in contact with Nintendo lately and they'd love to work with them.

That Adventurer game is set for a 2013 release for PC and Xbox 360 only but I hope that changes in Nintendo's favor

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I doubt they'll have something so groundbreaking that it will make you excited all of a sudden.
Well I usually only get super excited during the final run-up to a system. That's when all the little tidbits get released. It wasn't until the 3DS was launched in Japan that I truly got excited for it.

Jesus, none of you lot not got optical out on your TVs? Come on, get with the times!!
I don't even have an HD tele yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom