• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEyes

I know I'm just messing with you. I know HDTVs are the norm now. Personally I have a 30" SD dinosaur in the living room and a 19" 720p that I use as my computer monitor, but I know my situation isn't the norm. Still in college=broke.
Oh I wasnt taking you seriously :). And I can definitely understand your situation being in college as I was once in your position as well. Taco Bell was definitely my best friend back then lol.

"There are more than a few people who are thinking, 'There'll be a Nintendo Conference in September.' I want to tell you in advance that the announcement of the Wii U in Japan is planned in a way not involving the Conference." - Satoru Iwata

The hell is this? The NoA thing will be underwhelming, as I don't see any new game announcements at their NY thing, while Iwatas typical fall conference would have been exciting. Perhaps the Japanese support is as laughable as the Western?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The hell is this? The NoA thing will be underwhelming, as I don't see any new game announcements at their NY thing, while Iwatas typical fall conference would have been exciting. Perhaps the Japanese support is as laughable as the Western?

Everyone is really overreacting. Like, completely.

Yes, the Wii U's Japanese support, Nintendo's strongest region and where Nintendo has the best relationship with 3rd parties, consists of 4 games.

Everyone is really overreacting. Like, completely.

Yes, the Wii U's Japanese support, Nintendo's strongest region and where Nintendo has the best relationship with 3rd parties, consists of 4 games.

Well, they also fucked up their 1st party support for a brandnew home console, despite the Wii hardly getting any games that required internal sources since the end of 2010.
It's like they do not want to work on this thing and let it succeed, lol.

That's your opinion. From a sales perspective their first party lineup is extremely strong. But hey, if you really want to believe that Nintendo has lined up zero 3rd party support in Japan be my guest.

From a quality perspective, it's extremely shitty. Apart from Pikmin, it's basically cheap cash-ins all around. They didn't go out to get Western support, so I wouldn't be surprised if they messed up in the last bastion of hope also.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, they also fucked up their 1st party support for a brandnew home console, despite the Wii hardly getting any games that required internal sources since the end of 2010.

That's your opinion. From a sales perspective their first party lineup is extremely strong. But hey, if you really want to believe that Nintendo has lined up zero 3rd party support in Japan be my guest.

Medalion

Banned
There will still be the Sept 13 conference for Wii-U, but will focus on the NA release. Japan's details will be at another presentation... Possibly earlier.

So relax.

The_Lump

Banned
Fixed. Familiarity, optimizations, and the like occurred after E3. It also helps when as wsippel pointed out a month or two ago that proper usage of the DSP was finally enabled.

Yes. Confirmed a long time ago (last year).

That long ago? I thought the pre e3 specs were the first 'confirmation' we had?

Buffy_cheese_480.jpg

Haha, awesome! ^_^

Oersted

It's like they do not want to work on this thing and let it succeed, lol.
And I thought in 2010 the Wii was already success. Nevermind.

From a quality perspective, it's extremely shitty. Apart from Pikmin, it's basically cheap cash-ins all around. They didn't go out to get Western support, so I wouldn't be surprised if they messed up in the last bastion of hope also.

You already played New Super Mario Bros. U trough? Would you mind lending it?

You already played New Super Mario Bros. U trough? Would you mind lending it?

If some sequel to one of the most half-assed Nintendo series is supposed to be the saving grace, you should know somethings gone wrong. Pikmin is the only somehow full-fledged Nintendo game on a new Nintendo console for at least half a year, without any kind of confidence what's beyond. Within a whole year, they did not go out to get Western 3rd parties on board, instead some port of Mass Effect 3 was the ,,big'' reveal... I mean, I hardly care about the big Western games nowadays, but it sure makes me wonder what exactly Nintendo has been doing with this thing. Could a console that's about to launch look any less ambitious? I certainly can hardly think of anything worse.
Japanese support is my last hope, but seeing how things went until now I wouldn't be surprised if that is also somehow lacklustre, especially if they don't even care enough to hold their annual fall conference for that.

D-e-f-

Banned
Haha, awesome! ^_^

Courtesy of the genius mind of Joss Whedon :)

Yeah, that's not how I read it. I broke it down here.

That way it reads like it might mean that Iwata will let us know about when/where/how they will announce details before they do. Not necessarily "we will announce stuff before the/a conference". But I literally have no idea what I'm talking about here, Japanese-wise :) ...just going off that "in advance" bit being at the end.

I see that phrasing similar to how you might normally say it in German, for example, but I don't think it translates into a casual English sentence very well.

So I could also read it like "We will announce stuff outside of [scheduled] conferences, I'll let you know when" ... which kind of means nothing lol

Banned
I guess being 30 years old, having a good job and owning a decent sized house makes me rich, nice. lol. Seriously, there are lots of people that own multiple HDTVs these days. They've been on the market for over 10 years now.
My family is middle class and we own 4 hdtv's. My parents bought two of them, one for the main room and their bedroom. I bought my own for my bedroom for gaming. And my brother bought his own. When I move out my tv will go to the gaming room but the living room is getting a huge tv and a smaller one for the bedroom.

Javier

I'm sure Iwata's comment simply means Japan is getting its own conference (likely a Nintendo Direct) to reveal their own price and release date.

Pineconn

If some sequel to one of the most half-assed Nintendo series is supposed to be the saving grace, you should know somethings gone wrong. Pikmin is the only somehow full-fledged Nintendo game on a new Nintendo console for at least half a year, without any kind of confidence what's beyond. Within a whole year, they did not go out to get Western 3rd parties on board, instead some port of Mass Effect 3 was the ,,big'' reveal... I mean, I hardly care about the big Western games nowadays, but it sure makes me wonder what exactly Nintendo has been doing with this thing. Could a console that's about to launch look any less ambitious? I certainly can hardly think of anything worse.
Japanese support is my last hope, but seeing how things went until now I wouldn't be surprised if that is also somehow lacklustre, especially if they don't even care enough to hold their annual fall conference for that.

Yup, it sounds like you know something we don't know. Please tell us.

If you don't, I assure you it'll be just fine. NSMBU will be fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We have plenty of technology and tech toys here, and we only have one primary HDTV. Having multiples of those seems a bit excessive / a true luxury item.

we have two HDTVs, one got handed down to the spare room rather than sell it. But we only have one really nice big HDTV connected to the surround setup.

Oersted

I didnt say its the saving grace. Said i dont know. Sometimes its the best thing when you didnt try something out, you know?

Edit: Now we got this translation

It doesn't matter if your household has multiple TV's. You're going to most likely put the game console on the best TV in the house with the most comfortable seating. This is also the TV that will most likely get the most use for non-gaming activities. Nobody's going to move their game console from TV to TV based on usage. So the ability to play games just on the Gamepad is a useful feature.

Lenardo

Banned
i have 3 kids, we have 4 hd tv's-

i have a 32" widescreen TUBE hdtv(yes TUBE fucking thing weighs like 80lbs) in my bedroom, the kids all have a 32" lcd 720p hdtv/dvd combo tv in their bedrooms(they are 11 and 8(twins))

in the living room though, we have a 15ish year old sharp 27" standard tv.....

hell half the time my wife does not even put on the hd channel for the program she is watching......

needless to say i am replacing the standard tv with an hd one this fall when the wiiu comes out.

Earendil

One TV per household GAF confirmed?

I have 3 televisions, but only one is HD. The others are a 20" in our bedroom and a small TV/DVD combo in one of the kids rooms.

I know I'm just messing with you. I know HDTVs are the norm now. Personally I have a 30" SD dinosaur in the living room and a 19" 720p that I use as my computer monitor, but I know my situation isn't the norm. Still in college=broke.

Tuition for two kids == me broke

I totally get where you are coming from.

This one TV argument is stupid. Everyone has a favorite TV even if there are multiple TVs in the house. It's a cool feature that a ton of people will take advantage of.

Man, Nintendo will enhance our multi-tasking capability with this dual screen setup. By accustoming us to handle two different content at the same time, play on the gamepad and understand/hear/see a movie on the TV through glimpses (and the images we don't watch will be "filled" by our mind through retina persistence, the sounds, and imagination), it will improve our mind !

Wii would like U to have a better brain !

Does no one here ever have the TV on in the background? This isn't anything new.

4r7oe9u.gif

big_erk

I have multiple HDTVs but I do not always want to hook up an entire system to them.

Also, they are often all being used if I am in a situation where I have to move from my usual one, anyway.

Multiple HDTVs are not really a luxury anymore. You can't even really buy SDTVs anymore, and those that are available can sometimes cost more that a small HDTV. When you can get a decent 19" LCD HDTV for under $100.00 that is not living large.

I have 2-42" LCDs, 1-32" LCD, and 2-24" LCDs in the kid's rooms.

kunonabi

I just might buy scribblenauts for the boxart alone. I enjoyed the first one until it turned out you could solve every puzzle the same way almost.

Hoodbury

Does Jackson have something against noses?

/sigh, I still can't decide if I should get scribblenauts or not. I've never played one and I just can't get a good sense of what exactly you do in these games. I want it to be the game I would get my wife to play and I've tried showing her the trailers so far for it but she is even more clueless than I am and hasn't been impressed yet.

She's not a gamer so I was hoping it would be something we could co-op, but I don't know if that's how it works. I just don't get it. Oh and what is a 'naut'? I've seen other games that use that as well, pshyconauts or something like that and other ones.

Alebrije

Well , have 5 tvs and 1 projector :

42" hdtv tv living room
27" hdtv kitchen
37" hdtv child room
70" hdtv game room
37" hdtv main bedroom
hdtv projector in main bedroom.

And plan to get a 27" for the garage because I work there on weekends.

Projector and 70" are for gaming the rest dvd/tv/etc. hope to get WiiU for the 70" set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom