• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordique

Would you recommend it for a 30 year old guy who likes to play CoD for hours on end and his wife who doesn't really play games but when she does get's suckered into them like she did when I introduced her to The Sims?

haha

I would, for both the guy and the wife...and both of them to play together!

It really is an "everyone" type of game

The DS games were incredibly creative, and I am happy to see there will finally be a console version to play on with the whole family.

Wow, Scribblenauts would be excellent for a 6 year old. I mean, I love it now as an adult, but I think I would have spent days on it if I were a kid. Will definitely have to strongly consider, I bet that art style looks shexy in HD.

Stulaw

I love Scribblenauts, reviewed Super Scribblenauts and gave it an 8/10. Really makes you think and helps with vocabulary. And it's awesome making fights with different gods and such.

Edit: realised the mistake I made by saying unlimited, meant super scribblenauts.

D-e-f-

Banned
Ah very good, thanks for digging that up.

Are you guys thinking we'll hear more about online service/other features about the upcoming console during the September conference? I'm hoping it's more than just price, release date, and release date games.

All the weird stuff with different events for Japan and NA and no EU event are quite confusing.

Personally, I don't think we'll see more of this at the press conference part of the event. Maybe they're demoing it to press but I really believe that they will properly show this off in detail via a global Nintendo Direct like they did with the pre-E3 thing. I'm sure if they can do a special ND for friggin' Animal Crossing, they can do another one for Miiverse/Nintendo Network functionality on Wii U. I'd expect that either around the time of the press conference on Sept.13 or right before launch during the regular on-schedule October ND.

edit: LOL @ myself. ... what I mean by that is that I don't think we'll hear more on that on-stage from Reggie but in a dedicated Nintendo Direct presentation that might go live during or after the event in all territories.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U needs a repeater to extend the range of its streaming capability. If it can be done for wifi, wouldn't it be feasible for whatever technology they use?

RAWi

confirmed weeks ago!

but at least we know it works smoothly now :)

Yes I know xD, but at least, as you already mentione, this is a confirmation that things are going great with the feature :3.

I would like to see the transition mentioned. This means that the transition will be customizable and it will not be just a "sudden-change" from one screen to the other :D

BY2K

Membero Americo
I keep looking at the Zelda Nintendo Land image at the bottom of the OP and wondering if that could actually hint at the art style they'll use for Zelda Wii U.

All cloths and fabrics. Not as heavy as Kirby Epic Yarn, but still.

Scribblenauts Boxart:

SNU_Wii-U_2D.jpg

Link: http://nintendoeverything.com/97515/scribblenauts-unlimited-boxart/

http://nintendoeverything.com/97511...top-pre-order-bonus-announced-bundle-planned/

Gamestop doing a preorder thing again for the Rooster Hat. Ill probably pre order :D

Looking good, although I'm not really interested in the title. I like several of the boxarts until now, though I would have prefered they kept the darker blue they've shortly introduced during E3 for the logo.

Wow...you're even more pessimistic than me.

The most insulting E3 yet, in the worst year possible plus Reggie and others pouring more fuel into the fire afterwards kind of did this.

Ok, my wife plays 2D sidescrollers and top-down RPGs almost exclusively... Is it fair to say that Scribblenauts is a 2D sidescroller RPG that uses words instead of XP and therefor she'd probably like it? Or am I WAY off the reservation? I know nothing about this series...

Mlatador

Banned
I just wonder how NOISY the Wii U will be. The Wii was ok in that regard. I'm sure that's something Nintendo was thinking about while developing the Wii U, because unless Microsoft or Sony they actually care about stuff like that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The most insulting E3 yet, in the worst year possible plus Reggie and others pouring more fuel into the fire afterwards kind of did this.

You're talking about 2008, right? Because 2012 isn't worse than that, no way. It wasn't great, but it wasn't E3 08 bad either.

D-e-f-

Banned
Really?

FFS!

Nintendo of America naturally doesn't reveal info about EU launch details.

That's Nintendo of Europe's business. That said, and people prepare yourselves, NoE will NOT announce a price for the Wii U because they don't do that anymore! They're gonna go with the same ol' "retailers set the price" spiel like they did with all the other recent system launches.

So don't any of you go nuts because you didn't see that coming! There'll be a launch date from NoE and that's it. The price is gonna be the US-price with a € instead of a $, as always (with an unpredictable price in the UK, naturally).

Way off. It's more or less a puzzle platformer, no RPG elements.

Ok thanks, I'll probably skip this one then. I'm looking for a sidescroller with a twist to play with her. We've already pre-ordered Rayman but NSMBU will probably be downloaded from the eshop at some point.

Well ... kind of. ElTopo is right concerning the original DS games but Unlimited will have what amounts to "quests" given out by NPCs in the open game world. There will be multiple major areas that you can explore. So you're sort of on the right track with a sidescrolling RPG(-light). You basically have "crafting" with the object creation tool and there's NPC interaction this time. So Unlimited definitely has RPG elements.

Hmm... I hope they have game demoes available at launch, I'd have to get her to try it before spending money on it...

D-e-f-

Banned
Ok, my wife plays 2D sidescrollers and top-down RPGs almost exclusively... Is it fair to say that Scribblenauts is a 2D sidescroller RPG that uses words instead of XP and therefor she'd probably like it? Or am I WAY off the reservation? I know nothing about this series...

Way off. It's more or less a puzzle platformer, no RPG elements.

I agree, but I honestly can't imagine Japanese support being worse than Western.

Well ... kind of. ElTopo is right concerning the original DS games but Unlimited will have what amounts to "quests" given out by NPCs in the open game world. There will be multiple major areas that you can explore. So you're sort of on the right track with a sidescrolling RPG(-light). You basically have "crafting" with the object creation tool and there's NPC interaction this time. So Unlimited definitely has RPG elements.

japtor

I guess being 30 years old, having a good job and owning a decent sized house makes me rich, nice. lol. Seriously, there are lots of people that own multiple HDTVs these days. They've been on the market for over 10 years now.
Do you have multiple TVs in the same room though? Cause that whole playing console game while watching TV thing wouldn't be the same thing otherwise, barring an elaborate set of mirrors perhaps.

I had 3 TVs in my room at one point, but that's a bit different. Other than the regular TV, one was on its side for vertical shooters, the other was for viewing TV output when editing stuff.

PhantomR

Banned

Dude....really. You've got to chill out with the melodramatics. If you are sooo upset about what Nintendo did or did not do why are you even hanging out in the Wii U thread? Just get a PS4/Xbox720 and be done with it. But "insulting"? Like Nintendo disrespected you personally or something? You're taking this too seriously.

Sure I think their e3 PRESS CONFERENCE could've been handled better. But what was available on the show floor was awesome. We all have our opinions, I respect that. But this is a bit extreme.

ThankeeSai

Nintendo of America naturally doesn't reveal info about EU launch details.

That's Nintendo of Europe's business.
That said, and people prepare yourselves, NoE will OT announce a price for the Wii U because they don't do that anymore! They're gonna go with the same ol' "retailers set the price" spiel like they did with all the other recent system launches.

So don't any of you go nuts because you didn't see that coming! There'll be a launch date from NoE and that's it. The price is gonna be the US-price with a € instead of a $, as always (with an unpredictable price in the UK, naturally).

Yeah I suppose not.

I dunno, I guess in my head I had this down as a general, all encompassing announcement for the price, release date etc.

Hopefully NoE will give us some info soon.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah I suppose not.

I dunno, I guess in my head I had this down as a general, all encompassing announcement for the price, release date etc.

Hopefully NoE will give us some info soon.

Yea, I guess other companies do that so it's understandable why one would assume that.

Still, they might screw us over and have Reggie NOT announce those details and instead throw a worldwide Nintendo Direct onto the web at the end of the day or the day after which announces the dates for each region and covers some more ground or recaps the press event.

That's the best/worst thing. You never know with these crazy people at Nintendo :)

I firmly believe this was a secret mission statement. Don't expect anything. We're totally "bananas."
get it? 'cause he's holding a bana--yea okay, I think you get it :)

Really?

FFS!
Heh yea..Dont overreact as most of these overreactions are from people who arent buying the WiiU trying surround it with negativity. The other overreaction is from people that arent fond with Nintendos way of doing things. None of this stuff is a surprise.Probably gives people a bad feeling or whatever but its not that Nintendo hasnt done it before.

1-UP

Banned
They already said they werent releasing any info regarding EU.

They also said "worldwide release"... but talk is cheap.

Nintendo has announced it will release the Wii U to Japan, Europe, Australia and North America during this year's Holiday season.

Nintendo's CEO, Satoru Iwata, made the announcement during the company's earnings conference in Osaka.

golcarfel

Neo Member
How do you guys think that Miis will evolve with the Wii U? I'm hoping that they are extremely customizable. Not just the face and hair but also the clothes, shoes and accessories. Maybe even certain games will reward you for certain achievement with specific Mii clothes. Ahhh that would be pure awesomeness! :-D

D-e-f-

Banned
Hmm, +1 for hoping they do some kind of free demo for this then. I'm not a big fan of puzzler's.

Seriously, how is the sad-clownthulu not magically extracting money out of your wallet right now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwwTNGYcvE

This, among other things, is why it's so hard for me to be mad at them. :)

They also said "worldwide release"... but talk is cheap.

And nothing on that front has changed so far.

ThankeeSai

Heh yea..Dont overreact as most of these overreactions are from people who arent buying the WiiU trying surround it with negativity. The other overreaction is from people that arent fond with Nintendos way of doing things. None of this stuff is a surprise.Probably gives people a bad feeling or whatever but its not that Nintendo hasnt done it before.

Oh, I'm not trying to surround it with negativity ^_^

I'm super hyped for it and thought there was a general announcement coming on the 13th, not just one relating to NoA.

My own fault for getting too excited and once again, not reading things properly :(

How do you guys think that Miis will evolve with the Wii U? I'm hoping that they are extremely customizable. Not just the face and hair but also the clothes, shoes and accessories. Maybe even certain games will reward you for certain achievement with specific Mii clothes. Ahhh that would be pure awesomeness! :-D

If Wii Fit U and Nintendoland are any indication they will be exactly the same as before, just in HD.

kitsuneyo

I can't find a quote, but I think Nintendo said after E3 2011 that WiiU Miis will be the same as they are on the 3DS. Who knows if that has changed, or could change with future system updates.

Which is very lame given the emphasis they are putting on the Miiverse.

I agree they could look a lot nicer :/

Hoodbury

So in those screen shots of Miiverse where all those mii's are circling around games or apps and some of them are walking between them, is that all AI driven, or is that online and people are controlling their mii's?

Here's a Mii thought: since we're HD now and we have a controller with a front facing camera, what if you could have your Mii make facial expressions based on the gamepad's controller camera looking at your face?

D-e-f-

Banned
So in those screen shots of Miiverse where all those mii's are circling around games or apps and some of them are walking between them, is that all AI driven, or is that online and people are controlling their mii's?

Here's a Mii thought: since we're HD now and we have a controller with a front facing camera, what if you could have your Mii make facial expressions based on the gamepad's controller camera looking at your face?

That's just a regular-ass animation. The people whose Miis you're seeing are currently playing that game.

You'll probably not just stand around in the plaza and run in circles to make your Mii move on another person's screen. It would be a goofy gimmick but far too much work to implement something so unnecessary.

As for the face-part: I think that may exceed the camera/software's pay grade. But what do I know.^^
nothing, obviously

PS3 is weak. Anyway, how about Wii classics downloadable, it can't be too hard for Nintendo to put in a couple lines of code to get them Wii U compatible in HD.

Iwata: "Meeeh I don't want to right now. I'll do it laaaater, leave me alone. Have some obscure GB title nobody ever played and won't now."

Disagree, especially if they can demonstrate good gamepad utilization and even upgraded graphics. Of course it hasn't even be announced yet so that may be a stretch. It's also about visibility - even if people are picking it up for another platform wouldn't hurt at all to have it out on store shelves.

Couldn't agree more. The U SKU is also likely to be the only console version in HD too, it should look noticeably better, and knowing reviewers during the last couple of years having better eye candy should result in higher review scores too.

I quite like the idea of possible good uses for the GamePad too such as using it to have the gunner's eye view for using the cannon, although I guess that the movement of the gun would be pretty slow which may put a dampener on things.

Using it as nightvision binoculars should also be pretty cool if you have 360 degrees to turn in and press a button to select targets for an air strike.

D-e-f-

Banned
PS3 is weak. Anyway, how about Wii classics downloadable, it can't be too hard for Nintendo to put in a couple lines of code to get them Wii U compatible in HD.

whoa you dug up an old post. you also might have an oversimplified view of how these things work.

golcarfel

Neo Member
So I was just watching the E3 conference and I heard something a bit curious. When Reggie was talking about Mii Verse gathering (this is the part you see when the Wii U is first turned on, not the forum part of Mii Verse), he says that you could see or send simple text messages Or you could use the stylus to write your own words or your own illustrations. Those this mean that the text that we will see when we first turn on the Wii U will be scripted? That the only way that we could write a personal message would be by writting it with the stylus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom